Thread: AS Freezes on LAN Browser screen

Registered
    Aug 2004

AS Freezes on LAN Browser screen

Hi!
    Hey, I just found out about Alien Swarm... Kick-*** game in singleplayer. However, for some reason I can't play multi, because my computer freezes solid every time I click the LAN Browser button under the Join Game screen. Any idea what the problem might be, or ways to get around it? I'm running patch 3236.

Are there any command-line arguments I can use to tell the game to connect to a specific IP apart from the LAN Browser? If there are, that would prolly be the easiest way of getting around the freezing problem.

Thanks!

Clint Olson
    co-n-co at mochamail dot com

Hmm. I dunno why the LAN Browser wouldn't be working, but you can open the console and type "open 123.45.67.89" to connect to a certain IP address...

Also, I think the correct command line would be:

AlienSwarm.exe 123.45.67.89
    or
    UT2004.exe 123.45.67.89 -mod=AlienSwarm
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Actually, I have the same problem with UT's LAN browser, but only when I'm not connected to the internet. Its seems that when you click on 'LAN' it feels it needs to connect to the master server, and it freezes until you connect, or until it times out (which seems to be a really long time.) If you wait long enough, it should work. Long enough being upwards of two minutes sometimes. Or you could try changing the connection options to 56k, this seems to help.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepQantas
    Hmm. I dunno why the LAN Browser wouldn't be working, but you can open the console and type "open 123.45.67.89" to connect to a certain IP address...

Also, I think the correct command line would be:

AlienSwarm.exe 123.45.67.89
    or
    UT2004.exe 123.45.67.89 -mod=AlienSwarm
    The "open ip.address" method worked for me just dandy. Thank you very much for helping me!

Clint Olson
    co-n-co at mochamail dot com

Registered
    Jul 2004
    D, i think before you can even go via lan you have to have at least some attempted connectiong with the master server...

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Registered
    Jan 2003
    It doesn't freeze until you go to LAN, and it doesn't unfreeze until you get the "Master server could not be reached" message.

Thread Information