Thread: Porch on bar in Th-Bourgeois

Registered
    Jan 2003
    JACKdaCAT showed me this crazy porch just outside the bar last night.

You have to go into Hanse's, go upstairs, and find the door that is always locked (it's across from a desk that sometimes has loot on it.) Now normally the door is locked, but if you're in freecam or rat mode (freecam is MUCH easier) you can just go through the door and onto the porch outside. There's a downstairs area, and it's obviously an unfinished area of the map. You can even see where a door that would go to this area from the kitchen is blocked off!

The question to the devs is this: will there be a way to get to the porch in the new version?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I hope so, apparently the map is susposed to be MUCH nicer when it comes out!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Wow, cool. Didn't know that.

Hope they'll put a key in there somewhere!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey guess what? Santa Hat season is coming...
    Yeah, I knew about that.

Hanses Shenanigans is by far, the best building in Thievery. The architecture is sound, detailed, visually interesting and compelling, and has a fabulous atmosphere. I could go on and on. I studied this building at great length when creating a map. It is almost as if the mapper meant this to be the main part of the map, not just a "decoration" supporting the real map objective.

I would love to see this building expanded further. I would also love to see someone extract the building as a separate identity that can be used to "decorate" other maps. The effort that went into this building should be realized to its fullest potential.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Buho
    Yeah, I knew about that.

Hanses Shenanigans is by far, the best building in Thievery. The architecture is sound, detailed, visually interesting and compelling, and has a fabulous atmosphere. I could go on and on. I studied this building at great length when creating a map. It is almost as if the mapper meant this to be the main part of the map, not just a "decoration" supporting the real map objective.

I would love to see this building expanded further. I would also love to see someone extract the building as a separate identity that can be used to "decorate" other maps. The effort that went into this building should be realized to its fullest potential.
    You should see Bourgeois 1.3. It looks twice as good! :grin: But I think that unfinished back porch is gone though.
    (AKA Dresden)
    Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPendragon
    But I think that unfinished back porch is gone though.
    That sucks.

So can someone explain why you can't see the rest of the map from the porch? Is there a hidden wall or something?

Quote Originally Posted by MrEricSir
    But I think that unfinished back porch is gone though.
    That sucks.

So can someone explain why you can't see the rest of the map from the porch? Is there a hidden wall or something?
    It's the edge of the world.

I think they should keep the porch area, & turn it into a rat arena. After all, its pretty boring watching guards wait in the attic, since thieves always die at the same choke-points.

I was kindof annoyed with the door being completely un-openable, after firing 20 rockets & a redeemer at it

A shame really, 'cus the porch is really nice looking from what the mappers have created so far

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dan
    I was kindof annoyed with the door being completely un-openable, after firing 20 rockets & a redeemer at it
    Is that ALL? LOL. Too bad about the porch though. A rat arena would be a nice change of pace if its in a bad area.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingRat
    It's the edge of the world
    * TheOutrider clears his throat, then sings a verse.
    "It's the edge of the world as we know it... I feel fine."
    * TheOutrider dodges incoming projectiles, ducks and runs. Fast.
    Outie
    Hell is a pretty rotten place. Not only is it damn hot, but its inhabitants also have a rather deranged sense of humour.
    -- Richard Karsmakers

Banned
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Don't forget the most important change!!!! The Guard Objectives need to say "GUARD THE CITY" otherwise there should be no guards killing thieves in Hanse's since they are not hired to guard hanse's, They are committing murder and should be banned from all existence. Currently the Objectives say "Guard the Manor" or house or something. And if you really wanna get technical.. (this change also applies for Flats) you need to make BLUE COAT skins to appear to be Police since guards wouldn't Guard a whole city.

Registered
    May 2002
    As I recall, Bourgeois is actually two incomplete maps that were spliced together for release. There is a new Bourgeois in the 1.3 patch, which is one of my favorite maps now (unlike before *chuckle*). No more details for you, just wait for the patch and be pleasantly surprised
    Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
    :: Howard Scott

Registered
    May 2002
    Well, y'see now.

Hanses Shenanigans was originally a seperate map.

Wait - I'll rewind a bit. Originally Bourgeois was just one street, the street outside Hanses. It was designed to show off those cool clawed lampposts with the green light outside, for a screenshot.

Anyway, that street started to become a mansion orientated level.

Midway through the project, Dalai and I were bouncing ideas around; and we thought:

"Hey; why don't we make Thievery a bit like Rocket Arena, and have this one level, themed like a tavern, where everyone can sit around and chat, instead of having a boring irc chat room? We could do special text modes for it etc etc."

Anyway, as one may have noticed, this idea didn't come to fruition; however, the tavern was built.

Bourgeois was coming along, and after playtesting, we decided that there needed to be another way to get close to the exit; so Dalai did a straight File>Import of the tavern into bourgeois since they were both based off the same street etc. :swordthi:

And the porch? Sorry, deleted for 1.3. It wasn't going anywhere, and was taking up brush space etc. Note; in the 1.0 version of bourgeois, the ground has a cobbled snow texture cos it was intended to be a cold misty, even snowy night outside the tavern.. accentuate the old cold/warm idea etc. There are a couple new places for rats to scurry around tho.

(And if it wasn't for those bsp errors; I had a cool special effect on the street outside Hanse's, involving two sheets with transparent cloudy effects on them, it made the street look really groovey and victorian-misty, but alas, sheets are tricksy)
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by oRGy
    (And if it wasn't for those bsp errors; I had a cool special effect on the street outside Hanse's, involving two sheets with transparent cloudy effects on them, it made the street look really groovey and victorian-misty, but alas, sheets are tricksy)
    Awww, that would have been cool to see. Too bad it didn't work out.
    Anyway, looking forward to see the new Bourgeois.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Bah... Bourgeois... I hate it...
    Before, i always got into the map last, so if there was more then 6 players there would be no room for me...

Now, with my new pc i get into the map first... But once the game starts the host feels sorry for all those slow taffers and spawns me as a rat.
    "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah, I really hope they've added some more spawn-lifes, cause it was really ridiculous before. :?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    Yeah, I really hope they've added some more spawn-lifes, cause it was really ridiculous before. :?
    It was a small area, what did you really expect? Any more guards and we would have to call it camptown.

Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well... if they added one more thief life and 2 more guards so there would be 10 total, it would be enough for the most servers.
    "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloody-Reaper
    Well... if they added one more thief life and 2 more guards so there would be 10 total, it would be enough for the most servers.
    Doesn't matter anymore. 1.3 will be out soon enough, and we can forget about the old map, and move on to the new.

Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Any chance of releasing old versions of the maps, Orgy?

Quote Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho
    Any more guards and we would have to call it camptown.
    And then have all-female guard skins, have all their voices be singing, instead of talking, and we'd have the camptown ladies, singing that song!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by LaughingRat
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho
    Any more guards and we would have to call it camptown.
    And then have all-female guard skins, have all their voices be singing, instead of talking, and we'd have the camptown ladies, singing that song!
    DO-DA DO-DA!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey guess what? Santa Hat season is coming...
    *slaps forehead*

LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by oRGy
    Nice, I gotta try that one

I'd like to see a Thievery map which was all misty and spooky.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by thetragictaffer
    Yup. Too bad UT's fog sucks and defaults to Disabled in the advanced options menu.
    (AKA Dresden)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yup. Too bad UT's fog sucks and defaults to Disabled in the advanced options menu.
    AFAIK, Spiders is the only TUT map with any fog.

Banned
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    What about taking the moving clouds from the Grange sky and just shifting them down to the ground level???

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by KewlAzMe
    What about taking the moving clouds from the Grange sky and just shifting them down to the ground level???
    That would require sheets, and big sheets cause lag. And they cut up the BSP, as Orgy pointed out.
    (AKA Dresden)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEricSir
    AFAIK, Spiders is the only TUT map with any fog.
    Where?

Thread Information