Thread: Thievery MA and Thievery Full Map Pack

Registered
    Jan 2003

Question Thievery MA and Thievery Full Map Pack

There has been a few user made maps in servers for quite some time, but im not expecting to see them included in the final release. But really, should we deny new comers the fun of Soalsharbour or Archery simply because they are not in plain sight? Let's face it, most people dont pay much atention to the links page of a MOD they are just getting started. Seeing a download message in the UT HUD, waiting for a long time or even being denied the download can be frustrating.
    Having a bonuis pack will give newcomers the idea that there is a community that suports the game.

So after the release of 1.5 the team could put togheter an "Map Annex" made of the most popular user made maps in thievery and or even make an optional download with the mod and the MA pack in one package.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Antero90
    There has been a few user made maps in servers for quite some time, but im not expecting to see them included in the final release. But really, should we deny new comers the fun of Soalsharbour or Archery simply because they are not in plain sight? Let's face it, most people dont pay much atention to the links page of a MOD they are just getting started. Seeing a download message in the UT HUD, waiting for a long time or even being denied the download can be frustrating.
    Having a bonuis pack will give newcomers the idea that there is a community that suports the game.

So after the release of 1.5 the team could put togheter an "Map Annex" made of the most popular user made maps in thievery and or even make an optional download with the mod and the MA pack in one package.
    Very good idea there Antero.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Good idea. Sorta like UT's CBP pack's. *Community Bonus Pack's*
    There really should be a Community Bonus Pack for Thievery. Or something to that effect.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    There's no reason the community couldn't make it.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I don't think they should be ignored either...but the only ones actually played on the servers with some regularity are:

Museum
    Highway inn

Some of them that COULD be good just need to be finished (IMHO):

Sherriff
    Lord Beck
    District

And the ones that no one plays because they are 'too big' heh:

Payback
    Souls Harbor
    Cult
    Beandor

Or good ones that are largely ignored:

Archnophobia
    Kamasutra (due to small size)
    Kings of the desert
    Country Abode (small size again)
    Archery
    Kiech

Registered
    Jun 2003
    I think he is implying that the bonus pack should be on the official site for the newcomers.
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Firetiger
    I think he is implying that the bonus pack should be on the official site for the newcomers.
    Now I remeber what I forgot in the post

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah, and it should really have all the maps on Crackaz at this time. Regardless of the frequency of play. It's always good to have more varity. Unless your married.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    And then there's my Thiefmatch map which no one plays because no one plays thiefmatch much and the only public server that has thiefmatch up regularly anyway doesn't have it

Or maybe it's just because people don't like disco spiders. I haven't figured it out yet.
    Currently working on creating another world.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    LOL, I like your tm map Zidane. It was well done. Maybe I should bug Antarch about adding your map to the server.

First time I played it though, I tried sooo many ways to kill those damn spiders....
    Last edited by Kiech Bepho; 19th Oct 2004 at 11:46 PM.
    Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Was going to quote your list Kiech but your list needed some work imo

Highway inn - Love this map, lots of people agree with me
    Karmasutra - perfect 2 on 2 or quick fight map, gets a lot mroe action late in the night or early morning
    Archery - let down by the apparent flatness of the level, but a rocking map gameplay wise
    Souls Harbor - this map isn't too big but its got some major problems for guard travel and Linear pathways around the level, plus the adapted guard/theif rules put a LOT of people off

Lord Beck - broken for now, should be good when finished/polished up
    District - decent but the multi has a serious issue still not fixed, quite open as well, bit much to guard

And the ones that no one plays because they are 'too big' heh:

All decent maps, but way too much to guard, even with a full server, good for a lower number of thieves versus a higher number of guards maybe
    Museum
    Cult
    Breandor

Or good ones that are largely ignored: (EDIT these maps suck as multi sorry kiech, not because they are good/bad as maps or just overlooked)

Payback
    Sherriff
    Arachnophobia
    Kings of the desert_v3
    Country Abode (small size again)

Registered
    Jun 2003
    What about me monastery?
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I was just thinking that FT, yes that should be added as well.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Any other maps we forgot?

I don't get why no-one likes payback. Easy to get around, several ways in and out, decent AI starting placement. I suspose its because there isn't a 'clear' place to camp?

Sherriff isn't done, not with 2 ways in (you have to go inside to open the 3rd) - and one of them has a bsp hole. Plus that winding group of rooms leading to the library is a bit annoying.

Museum and Kings actually get a bit of play on Crackaz. Although I think Nem is the only one who really knows Museum inside and out.

Thinking about it, there are actually several maps that COULD be good Thievery maps, but just were abandoned or not 'done'. Maybe some of us could restart the work on those maps.
    Last edited by Kiech Bepho; 20th Oct 2004 at 12:17 AM.
    Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm, maybe 'Bafford'...maybe.
    Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho
    Although I think Nem is the only one who really knows Museum inside and out.
    I'd nominate Grank for the City Museum award.

As for Payback? It's such a huge map that it's not really fun. It's more of a Thief map than a Thievery map, and that's made worse by the fact that everybody leaves when the damn thing gets voted in. It's such a sprawling mess that all you can do is camp a wide-open objective... hardly enjoyable times.

I'd rather play DP than his map
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    I'd rather play DP than his map
    You want to DP, DP too? Great, can I go underneath?
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    you sickos...what are u talking about shug the objective is not wide open and guards are the ones that usually win...

anyway i was actually planning on making amappack that has ALL custom maps that will be updated everytime a new user-made map comes out. this will be once the new site is done. ToB will host all files including the full mod. i have noticed the new server is much better and i get around 400kbps downloading stuff off it when i tried so it should be your best source to get what u want fast...as long as the damn site gets done in a fashionable manner and hopefully pretty soon.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkProject
    anyway i was actually planning on making amappack that has ALL custom maps that will be updated everytime a new user-made map comes out.
    Thats messier than the proposed DPin' of DP.
    How many packs of maps with slightly adjusted map lists would you end up building up.
    Best to get all the mappers who want a map in the pack to finish the map up and only put the ones deemed as finished in it.
    Update 4-6 months each time.

Thread Information