Thread: Serious PROBLEM !!

Registered
    Oct 2004

Exclamation Serious PROBLEM !!

Alien Swarm rox!!!

But i have a serious problem, well my PC has. when i play the turorial it works great, but when i load the first campaign ( the second is ortega) then about 10-30 seconds in the game the game crasches and the cpu reboots.

windows then says that a "serious problem" has occuird ( sorry, bad gramer). and windows has been restored to a previosly version.

anyone now whats wrong??? and how to fix it???

/BeMMe

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Does this happen on any other games you play? Sounds like an overheating issue to me. One way around the reboot is the following.

Right Click my computer> select properties.
    Click the advanced tab>choose startup and recovery options.
    Uncheck automatically reboot. Restart the computer to make sure the settings stick.

Secondly, make sure you've got proper ventilation on the machine in question. If it happens again, at the blue screen (if you end up getting another one) take note of any driver or system files causing the conflict besides just the general "a serious error has occured" message.

Hope that helps a bit.
    The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    You may also want to moniter the temperature of the computer via blue screen. If it goes above 60 degrees and heads into 70 and above, there is an overheating issue. You may also want to try stress testing your computer with other programs as well, that could help indicate if your computer is over clocking.
    To use the AG at it's full potential, you must be the AG

Registered
    Jan 2003
    And of course, update your video drivers to the latest version.
    If the problem persists, please post more information on your system.

This doesn't sound like a heat issue to me.

Sounds like drivers.

"that could help indicate if your computer is over clocking."

Computers don't overclock themselves
    "You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is wrong."

"Ignorance is not an excuse.. heh, it's a cause." -Per Edman

Registered
    Oct 2004
    That is what my comp did when it had an overheating problem, just add more fans and ventilation and you should be fine.
    Behind You Durandal Traikan in game.

Same problem

Quote Originally Posted by bemme
    Alien Swarm rox!!!

But i have a serious problem, well my PC has. when i play the turorial it works great, but when i load the first campaign ( the second is ortega) then about 10-30 seconds in the game the game crasches and the cpu reboots.

windows then says that a "serious problem" has occuird ( sorry, bad gramer). and windows has been restored to a previosly version.

anyone now whats wrong??? and how to fix it???

/BeMMe
    I have the same problem. If I run the tutoral, or walk through the door at the start of the first level, my computer reboots. It is not a heat problem. I've tried running ver. 1 of Alien Swarm and same thing. It's the only mod that won't work for me, but I'll keep messing around see what I find out.

Registered
    Sep 2003
    I *DID* beat Thievery! YEAH! (confirmed by dragon)
    I had an error like that with AOE2. I'm not sure what the problem was, I fixed it somehow. DirectX or something with Nvidia's video drivers and I had to roll back? Can't remember. You'll get it fixed eventually i'm sure

Registered
    Oct 2004
    omg I discovered a bug in Alien Swarm!

(get it?)

(...)

(sorry)

Registered
    Dec 2004

similar problem

I'm getting the same thing as Klassic. I'm using a 9800pro with the latest drivers. If I run it in software mode, it works fine (but, of course, is ugly as sin). Any new info on how to fix this?

So does it only happen when walking through a door?

Would you care to try single missions? For example, AO-Uplink doesn't have any moving doors (altho it does have other movers near the end).

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I tried AO-Uplink, I made it across the first bridge and a little ways into the building and then my computer rebooted.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmm... I too had this problem for a short while, but it was an overheating problem and was fixed with an extra fan.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Really? It overheats that fast? Strange that it hasn't affected regular UT. Maybe it's on the border line. Case fans are cheap, I'll try adding another one and see if that helps.

Hmm. Swarm should eat less resources than vanilla UT.

Go figure...

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I'm sure it isn't an overheating problem. I get the same thing on my pc and the temperature of my cpu is 52 degrees when it reboots, it does it in the same place every time, walk through the first door on the first mission, or loading the tutorial. Yet if i load up the first level and leave the guys standing there it doesn't crash.

Looking in the logfile there are lots of warnings and errors... well see for yourself.

I've edited the logfile to the first instance of a warning.
    Code:
    Warning: SceneManager AlienSwarmStartup.SceneManager2 (Function Engine.SceneManager.SceneEnded:009D) Accessed None 'Viewer'
    Warning: SceneManager AlienSwarmStartup.SceneManager3 (Function Engine.SceneManager.SceneEnded:009D) Accessed None 'Viewer'
    Warning: SceneManager AlienSwarmStartup.SceneManager4 (Function Engine.SceneManager.SceneEnded:009D) Accessed None 'Viewer'
    Warning: AoPrettyMenu Package.AoPrettyMenu (Function AoInterface.AoPrettyMenu.ActivateDelayedChoice:0067) Accessed None 'Controller'
    Error: AoPrettyMenu Package.AoPrettyMenu (Function AoInterface.AoPrettyMenu.Tick:019C) Accessed array 'Controls' out of bounds (6/0)
    Log: URL: Adding default option Name=Grunt
    Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
    Log: URL: Adding default option Character=Torch
    Log: URL: Adding default option team=255
    Log: URL: Adding default option Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
    Log: Browse: Aot-Tutorial.ut2?game=AoPrototype.AoTutorial?Name=Grunt?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Torch?team=255?Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
    ScriptLog: AoLoadingVignette2KFour 
    Warning: AoConsole Package.AoConsole (Function AoPrototype.AoConsole.NotifyLevelChange:001E) Accessed None 'myHUD'
    Log: Collecting garbage
    Log: Purging garbage
    Log: Garbage: objects: 47008->46941; refs: 589601
    Log: Game class is 'AoTutorial'
    Log: Bringing Level Aot-Tutorial.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 37.153000...
    Log: (Karma): Autodetecting CPU for SSE
    Log: (Karma): Using SSE Optimizations
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire2) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    Log: (Karma): KInitActorDynamics: No Model.
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire0) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire3) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire1) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    ScriptLog: GameInfo::InitGame : bEnableStatLogging False
    Warning: Failed to load 'NULL': Can't resolve package name
    Warning: Failed to load 'Class None.': Can't resolve package name
    ScriptLog: # Alien Swarm ######## Version: v1.2 ## Netmode: 0
    Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
    Log: P
    It bluescreens and then reboots my pc.
    Last edited by modetwo; 5th Jan 2005 at 08:38 PM. Reason: Added code tags

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Ok, as suggested i just tried Ao-uplink. It didn't crash for a while but as soon as someone shot at an alien (well about half a second after) when i was running across the bridge at the start it crashed.

here's the log from that crash
    Code:
    Log: Log file open, 01/05/05 19:05:05
    Init: Name subsystem initialized
    Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows 2000 5.0 (Build: 2195)
    Init: Version: 3339 (128.29)
    Init: Compiled: Nov 11 2004 10:49:37
    Init: Command line:  -mod=AlienSwarm LOG=AlienSwarm.log
    Init: Character set: Unicode
    Init: Base directory: D:\Games\UT2004\System\
    Init: Ini:..\AlienSwarm\System\AlienSwarm.ini   UserIni:..\AlienSwarm\System\AlienSwarmUser.ini
    Init: Build label: UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2004-11-11_10.48]
    Init: Object subsystem initialized
    Log: 	ati2dvag.dll/RADEON 9700 PRO 
    Log: Game class is 'GameInfo'
    Log: Bringing Level Entry.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 7.469000...
    Log: Browse: AlienSwarmStartup.ut2?Name=Grunt?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Torch?team=255?Sex=M?Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
    Log: Garbage: objects: 39382->39378; refs: 446571
    Log: Game class is 'AoCinematicGame'
    Log: Bringing Level AlienSwarmStartup.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 22.835000...
    Warning: AoMarine AlienSwarmStartup.AoMarine1 (Function Engine.Pawn.PostBeginPlay:010C) Accessed None 'Controller'
    Log: ALAudio: Using DirectSound to record audio.
    ScriptLog: New Player Grunt id=fa15f87c2c07448999481d996bfc8198
    Log: Opened viewport
    Log: Enter SetRes: 1024x768 Fullscreen 1
    Log: Using back-buffer format 22(32-bit)
    Log: Using depth-buffer format 77(32-bit)
    Log: Creating device
    Log: xD3DHelper::Init (QuadEmulation)
    Log: OS doesn't support IME.
    Log: Startup time: 26.239000 seconds
    Log: Precaching: AlienSwarmStartup.LevelInfo0
    Log: Static mesh batches: 1391004 vertex bytes, 178038 index bytes
    Log: Allocating 16384 byte dynamic index buffer.
    Log: Preprocessing:  Vertex stream total vertices: 180 Orig wedges: 180
    Log: Finished precaching geometry in 0.311 seconds
    Log: Finished precaching textures in 1.112 seconds
    Warning: AoMissionSelectSingleplayer Package.AoMissionSelectSingleplayer (Function AoInterface.AoMissionSelectSingleplayer.StartDelayedAction:01A2) Accessed None 'Controller'
    Log: URL: Adding default option Name=Grunt
    Log: URL: Adding default option Class=Engine.Pawn
    Log: URL: Adding default option Character=Torch
    Log: URL: Adding default option team=255
    Log: URL: Adding default option Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
    Log: Browse: Ao-Uplink.ut2?game=AoPrototype.AoGameInfo?Name=Grunt?Class=Engine.Pawn?Character=Torch?team=255?Voice=XGame.RobotVoice
    ScriptLog: AoLoadingVignette2KFour 
    Warning: AoConsole Package.AoConsole (Function AoPrototype.AoConsole.NotifyLevelChange:001E) Accessed None 'myHUD'
    Log: Garbage: objects: 47541->47408; refs: 623317
    Log: Game class is 'AoGameInfo'
    Log: Bringing Level Ao-Uplink.myLevel up for play (0) appSeconds: 64.977000...
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire1) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire2) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire3) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    Log: (Karma:) KAggregateGeomInstance: (BulldogTire0) Cannot 3D-Scale Karma primitives (sphere, box, cylinder).
    ScriptLog: # Alien Swarm ######## Version: v1.2 ## Netmode: 0
    Log: Spawning new actor for Viewport WindowsViewport
    Log: Precaching: Ao-Uplink.LevelInfo0
    Log: Static mesh batches: 12662100 vertex bytes, 1433496 index bytes
    Log: Allocating 16384 byte dynamic index buffer.
    Log: Allocating 35748 byte dynamic index buffer.
    Log: Preprocessing:  Vert
    apologies for the smilies, it's where there is a : followed by a ) in the log.
    Last edited by modetwo; 5th Jan 2005 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added code tags

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just for a few extra details. I used to have version 1 of alienswarm installed. That ran fine. I unzipped v1.2 straight over v1. Could this have caused any problems? Since then i've stripped out the alienswarm directory and unzipped 1.2 again but it still crashes. I havn't tried reinstalling v1 again. I've also patch UT2004 since the last time i played alienswarm but I can't remember what version it was at before. It's now at the latest patch level

My pc itself is an athlon xp 2400, 512Mb ddr 2700 Ram (2*256 sticks). Radeon 9700 Pro (128Mb ram).

I can get the dxdiag details if any more is needed.

I'd really like to fix this as I enjoyed it before and a few mates now want to play through this in multiplayer.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I get the same thing as gruntman. It works fine in software mode!

Bulldog tire karma objects?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The tire thing always shows up when you play uplink. It isn't the cause of the problem.
    Was that the entire log file? It looks like it was cut off when the level was still loading...
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    yeah that's it, well the first log file didn't have all of the loadup as i chopped it out. Don't know why it cuts out at the end, it must be mid write when the pc reboots? I might try with some old ati drivers to see if that's the problem. It has to be graphics card related if it runs in software mode. Especially as Gruntman has a similar card to me.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    What drivers are you running? I know I can't run anything newer than 4.3 or my PC won't boot, a lot of people have similar problems, including games crashing after running for short periods of time.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    4.12 catalysts (the latest ones). I have most of the old ones archived so i'll try some of those out at some point. I'll shout up if it works.

Registered
    Dec 2004
    I was just jumping in here to say that it isn't heat, but I see that pablo beat me to the punch. S'all good. I'm thinking it's gotta be something about the latest ati drivers and UT2K4 in general, as I actually had it reboot on me the other day playing regular onslaught. I'd been playing for about half an hour when it suddenly rebooted my computer. If that happens again I'll post the log file.

Registered
    Jan 2005

Lightbulb

I think i found it

Try setting your World Detail to low in graphics options. That works fine on my pc when i start the tutorial.
    Im running an ATI X800 pro card with the latest drivers and it crashes whenever i have world detail set any higher than LOW.

Hope that solves the problem permanently

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Woohoo! Yeah, that works fine. Thanks for the quick fix, Lonewolf! Now I can finally play it.

Thread Information