Thread: Titan landing

Registered
    Jan 2003

Titan landing

For those who are interested, here's something to checkout tommorrow. The Esa/Nasa collaboration mission of Cassini/Huygens mission to land a probe on Saturn's moon Titan - the Huygens lander is landing Jan 14 on Titan's surface.
    Should be exciting. If you want to follow what's happening use your best media player (either Realplayer or Win MP, possibly quicktime) and check out the results/data as it arrives from the furthest we've ever explored with a lander on another world. For the really obsessed, coverage is starting in the wee hours. Here is the schedule and links below: all times are EST

January 14, Friday
    3 a.m. - 3:30 a.m. - Live Coverage and Commentary "Cassini Turns Towards Titan - Interruption of Radio Contact" - JPL/ESA
    5 a.m. - 6:30 a.m. - Live Coverage and Commentary "The Huygens Probe Enters the Atmosphere of Titan" - JPL/ESA
    7:30 a.m. - 8 a.m. - ESA News Briefing "Mission Status" - JPL/ESA
    8:30 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. - ESA Commentary on Huygens Probe Mission - JPL/ESA (Mission Coverage)
    10 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - ESA Commentary "Cassini Turns Back to Earth - Data Transmission Begins" - JPL/ESA
    10:30 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. - JPL Commentary - JPL (Mission Coverage)
    11:15 a.m. - 12 p.m. - Huygens Probe News Briefing - JPL/ESA (Mission Coverage)
    12 - 12:30 p.m. - JPL Commentary - JPL (Mission Coverage)
    1 p.m. - NASA Update with Sean O'Keefe - KSC
    2:45 - 3:15 p.m. - ESA Commentary "Presentation of First 18 Images from Titan" - JPL/ESA (Mission Coverage)
    5 p.m. - 5:30 p.m. - ESA Commentary and "Additional Images from Tital & B-Roll" - JPL/ESA
    5:30 - 6 p.m. - JPL Commentary - JPL (Mission Coverage)

January 15, Saturday
    5 a.m. - 6 a.m. - ESA Final Wrap Up on Huygens Probe Mission - JPL/ESA (Mission Coverage)
    12 p.m. - 1 p.m. - ESA News Briefing "Early Look at Science Results" - JPL/ESA

Nasa Cassini Home

Nasa TV

European Space Agency Cassini Home

Ciclops Imaging - pretty pictures

Awesome stuff!!
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey guess what? Santa Hat season is coming...
    Woah. Hey, cool! Thanks for the heads up. I usually try to keep tabs on missions like this, but I guess I've been slacking. I had no clue about this one.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yes, this is really exciting news. A local company in my hometown has delivered some parts to the probe (not sure what parts), and they've been following it's trip for the past years to the outer space.

Some are saying that this is the biggest even since the moon landing in 1969.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    Some are saying that this is the biggest even since the moon landing in 1969.
    Yes, this will perhaps be the closest any human will ever get to experienceing what future space travellers will feel like when they land on another alien world for the first time (other than Mars ofcourse, but we knew lots about Mars before we got there.) in our lifetimes (or at least mine. Since Titan is the only moon in the solar system with an atmosphere, and it is shrouded in such mystery, it should make for some great discoveries, what with the possibility of lakes of liquid hydrocarbons and pre-biotic chemistry in the atmosphere.

I've read there will be pictures as well, and sounds, along with an assortment of other measurements. Looks like from the pix that there might be some awesome lakes/oceans, but who knows?

This is a great composite!

And ofcourse, my fav of the rings photos:

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLeNt_NiGhT
    I've read there will be sounds, along with an assortment of other measurements.
    *hisssssssss*crackle*ssssss*moo.*ssssssssss*

or perhaps

"Get off our f'ing planet, you noob!"

Sorry Not being constructive here At school I got the NASA channel, and it was awesome. I'll be watching via the Internet now

Registered
    Jan 2003

Post Latest news:

The probe has sent signals back to earth, which means it has survived the dangerous trip through Titan's atmosphere. It has dropped it's heat shield and is now hanging in the parachutes.

It will land on Titan's ground in less than 50 minutes (1.34 pm CET). But we won't see any pictures until around 8.45 pm (still CET) tonight, I don't know why it takes that long since the signals only use around 67 minutes to reach back to the earth.

Yay, can't wait for lightspeed shuttles.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
    This wasn't in the news as much as the whole mars photo thingy was, was it? Anyway, I'm looking forward seeing those photo's
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Bah! 17 more hours till they recieve the data.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    What if they marioed an alien?
    Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Buho
    Bah! 17 more hours till they recieve the data.
    Yeah, they've only recieved the "I'm alive, all systems are go" signal so far.

They do recieve the data soon, but they have to put it together to get decent and understandable data - thus it takes some time to create the photographs.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho
    What if they marioed an alien?
    LOL. Then I guess we should not expect a key to the city.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Is anyone reminded of 2010: A Space Odyssey? Or is that just me?

I'm soo going to keep trabs on this.
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Registered
    Jan 2003
    2001 or 2010? 2001: no. 2010: didn't read the book.

I missed the 2:45 - 3:15 (EST) broadcast that showed 10 or so preliminary images. Only one of them is currently on the website (basically a screengrab from the broadcast). Even still, it kicks some pretty major ass. Those look like rivers!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Taking over the world - One mod at a time...
    Too bad it's all liquid Methane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    Dan, does this girl even know you? At all?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthus
    Is anyone reminded of 2010: A Space Odyssey? Or is that just me?
    Actually, I'm reminded of the original 'Alien'.

Registered
    Jan 2003

Red face Who the hell farted?

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Mercenary
    Too bad it's all liquid Methane.:
    The question is; How the hell produce Methane on Titan? It's coming from biological 'material' (cows and shit) on Earth. Or live vulcans.

What's interesting is that the first few shots revealed something that looks like dry rivers. Were they once filled with water? Ah well, they will soon release high-res images. Can't wait!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered
    May 2004
    Ahh, the final frontierů
    I love this kind of stuff, thanks for the links and updates

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Still nothing high res. My digital camera makes thumbnails with more megapixels than these things!

Hey, anyone hear the "sounds of Titan"? I bet someone good with audio could make a rap song or techno song out of the radar sample.

The probe transmitted data for 90 minutes after landing. Wow.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    ...anyone hear the "sounds of Titan"?
    Yes, I'll attach the mp3 here.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Crazy stuff guys.

The atmosphere similer to lighter fluid? Sounds like MYYYY KIND'A PLACE!

>breathes in heavily<
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    If its all methane, I am curious as to why the whole planet didn't just blow up after we sent a flaming (yes, flaming!) probe down from the heavans. Perhaps it cooled down fast enough before it hit ground zero, but heh. I was really hoping for a fireball...
    Kiech

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho
    If its all methane, I am curious as to why the whole planet didn't just blow up after we sent a flaming (yes, flaming!) probe down from the heavans. Perhaps it cooled down fast enough before it hit ground zero, but heh. I was really hoping for a fireball...
    I'm not entirely sure here about my chemistry, but the lack of Oxygen, I think, as well as the temperature, has something to do with that. That's not to say that certain hydrocarbons can't combust on Titan, it just doesn't do it the way we are used to seeing it here on Earth.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    We do know that the place is alive (or was) because of the rocks. If the place has (or had) water, then it might be able to support life. I only hope the probe doesn't contaminate and kill off any chance of life on the planet.

This is very cool though. Would you believe I live in Houston and I STILL didn't know about this until just now. Keep those pics a comin'!!

EDIT: Near the end of the audio you can hear something other than white noise just after 1:22 on it. Check it out and tell me what you think. You think its just the probe making noises and its picking up itself?
    "He said he didn't trust me, so I killed him."--Hidden_Wolfe

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden_Wolfe
    Keep those pics a comin'!!
    There's a ton o' pix at the links near the beginning of the post. Just go to the JPL site (Nasa Cassini Home) or the ESA site. Each has it's own 'photojournal' collection of all the best pix of the mission and all other missions so far.

What really gets my juices flowing is that big methane cloud which stays in the same spot consistently. What could possibly produce that much condensed methane? Scientists say there are geological processes that cause methane production just as microbial life does, so which is it I wonder??! Check out the cloud in the southern hemisphere below:

Southern Cloud

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Hmmm. Could be that the planet (or moon), is currently supporting life in that region. And the deposit just hasn't spread all over the surface, due to the current lack of oxygen (ei: wind). Hopefully this will be true and we can have a chance to study these proteins, and not kill them with our meddling. However that is a very bright spot on the service, I don't know exactly how clouds of methane are supposed to act, but I'll get back to you on that. However this isn't the only rock in our system that has massive deposits of methane, can anyone say Neptune? That rock even has violent thunderstorms with most if not all the atmosphere (clouds and all) made entirely of the living by-product gases. Whats also cool is how can methane clouds conduct electricity to have lightning?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by SiLeNt_NiGhT
    I'm not entirely sure here about my chemistry, but the lack of Oxygen, I think, as well as the temperature, has something to do with that. That's not to say that certain hydrocarbons can't combust on Titan, it just doesn't do it the way we are used to seeing it here on Earth.
    I heard a scientist say the whole planet is covered in flammable material. It hasn't exploded because there's no oxygen, so there you go. You can torch flammable material (the torch being a result of oxygen and some fuel) but without unburned oxygen in the surrounding, it won't ignite.

Here's some cool stuff, guys:

http://anthony.liekens.net/huygens_static.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered
    Oct 2003
    http://anthony.liekens.net/huygens_static.html
    Take a look at the probe's eye-view when its going down. The land forms look like Earth's.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Taking over the world - One mod at a time...
    Like Earth..? OMG, I KNEWS ITshieftone

The Titan Landings Were Staged!!1111!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    Dan, does this girl even know you? At all?

Thread Information