Registered
    Jan 2005

Darwinia Demo

http://www.darwinia.co.uk/about/index.html

Just got the demo of this wonderful little game
    its the 1st rts game ive liked in a long while so i thought id share

Registered
    Dec 2004
    Hertfordshire, England (Leeds University in term time)
    I got it earlier today. It's a funky little game (once you work out how to play it, the H key helps a lot). Especially good considering it's a 10 meg download (graphics are amazing for the size).

If anyone wants to know what it's like, I'd call it a cross between Cannon Fodder and Black & White.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    intriguing.
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by FixXxeR
    intriguing.
    Indeed. These "come and see this brand new cool demo" threads are becoming quite common AND suspicious.

[THREAD HIDJACK]
    Anyone care to guess why I used "cool"?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Easy; "cool" is a very commonly used word, its meaning easily interpreted as a generally positive adjective.

You could have said "hunky-dory," but then everyone would get confused and would have to look it up in a dictionary. I, and I'm sure most everyone, appreciates you using a more well-known word.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Salsa
    Easy; "cool" is a very commonly used word, its meaning easily interpreted as a generally positive adjective.

You could have said "hunky-dory," but then everyone would get confused and would have to look it up in a dictionary. I, and I'm sure most everyone, appreciates you using a more well-known word.
    Nope. The reason is Thievery related.
    *wrong answer beep ensues*

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah? Well, um...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah, you could have said that too!
    -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
    - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
    - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
    -YT

Everyone except anyone who's watched Red Dwarf.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah? Well, um...

*jumps inside trophy*
    The precioussssss

No, actually I was to use kewl but kewl reminds me of kewzlame (my way to write kewlazme) so I figured I would xbo... I mean, dumb down the word.

Meh. Is anyone really going to plunk down $40 US for this? I'd say $10 would be pushing it.

Registered
    May 2002
    Interesting little concept.
    I have to say, I love Uplink - still play it from time to time, but this has disappointed me somewhat.
    Darwinia isn't quite as innovative as it may seem - mouse gestures are all very well and good, but I think we're all aware of them by now from Arx Fatalis, Black & White, and good old Opera, and in all of these the system is implemented substantially better and with greater scope than in Darwinia (the demo, at least). Graphically I wasn't that impressed - just because it's a bit Tron-like and "retro" doesn't mean it has to look primitive.
    From a gameplay perspective, we've only seen the "tutorial" level, so it's hard to judge - games which are "innovative" often have unusual controls and so require guidance and help, and I can understand the developers position with including a tutorial level, but I really wish they'd've put in a proper "mission" as well so we can see how the game plays outside the artificial confines of "tutorial mode".
    Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
    :: Howard Scott

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Mouse gesturing is actually a non-feature in my opinion. In Black and White the gestures are at the bottom of the screen anyway, they might as well be buttons. In Darwinia, you have to hold down alt to gesture, so they might as well have the buttons on the screen that appears.

I also recommend turning off the Pixel Emulation, I think the game looks cleaner without it.

Thread Information