Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Announcing Turf Wars III!

Registered
    Jan 2003

Announcing Turf Wars III!

You read that right. Check out the rules here.

I've explained the reasoning behind the rules in italics underneath them.

Discuss it here. I'm particularly curious about the two week bit. If people think that's not enough, we can go to three, but that's as long as I think iit should be.
    Last edited by WildBill; 23rd Feb 2005 at 01:13 AM.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Let's do it!

TY Bill.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    There is a discussion on if TuF will take part in this over on our boards, it may be that we are partially involved, merged with another guild... so any leaders with the same intreast could do to pop over there.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Oh boy... here we go again

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Come on Mach, don't let those buggers soft out!

You've got at least 4 semi-active members. Phae can form his own team.
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Great! This is what we needed. There should be enough guilds to compete and if not, PPL please try to form some so we can all have some competitive fun.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The map is now posted in the rules thread.

It's still tentative, comments are welcome.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
    Please tell me that this turfwar version will NOT have a 3 round match. That rule is stupid.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaeThorn
    Please tell me that this turfwar version will NOT have a 3 round match. That rule is stupid.
    It currently does. Why don't you like it?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Playing only one round on a map is not fair imo. If you play it on breakout, guards are likely to win. So basicly the thief team is screwed. Same goes for quite a lot of unbalanced maps. As said, one round for a map is NOT ok in my eyes. This rule was one of the biggest thing I had against turfwars 1.
    On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Playing only one round on a map is not fair imo. If you play it on breakout, guards are likely to win. So basicly the thief team is screwed. Same goes for quite a lot of unbalanced maps. As said, one round for a map is NOT ok in my eyes. This rule was one of the biggest thing I had against turfwars 1.
    I have no idea what side you're taking, since your posts are almost entirely contradictory. Here's how it currently works, though: a match consists of three rounds, with the attacking team thieving for all three and the defending team guarding all three. The team that wins at least two out of the three wins the match.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    In the old turfwars there was a rule that when after 2 rounds ( one time thieves, one time guards ) there still is no winner another map will get played. However only for one round. You either guard or thief on that map, but you won't play the other side. This way there can be no tie, it's always a 2-0 or a 2-1.

*edit* I didn't have my eyes open.

Still ... what happens if there is a tie ?

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Still ... what happens if there is a tie ?
    There are three rounds. How can there possibly be a tie?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill
    There are three rounds. How can there possibly be a tie?
    I'm getting old, spare me. I thought I saw "the teams can also choose to play 4 rounds" in the line "The match will be 3v3 unless both teams agree to it being 4v4."

But eventhough I'm blind and getting old, that 3 rounds rule is shit imo

Call 0900-PHAE

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well, you might want to start by suggesting an alternative, Phae.

I don't think it's an awesome system myself, but Thievery does not lend itself naturally to tournament play. Whoever holds gerome, say, will most likely not be losing it in a hurry should they guard 3 times in a row. Having said that, maps like folly will be taken all the time. So it'll rely on the neutral maps like grange to balance out the competition. I'd suggest the map layout takes the balances of each map into account for placement reasons.
    Nightmaster,
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I quite like the idea. Don't really give a shit about a fair playoff, since if you hold gerome under the impression you can easily defend it, it should surely be highly contested, since, you won't be expecting much attention to it if you can grab it, it's a safer hold than follt, as mentioned. A value system might of been nice, but not needed I guess.

A good team will come up with a strategy for the map, and since you know you're always the one side it takes less time to practice (if at all) for it.

Registered
    Sep 2003
    I *DID* beat Thievery! YEAH! (confirmed by dragon)
    TurfWars 3? What ever happened to the first one and the second one? Who won them? I don't recall anyone getting the needed turf :|

Whoa! I JUST read this!
    This is a no holds barred tournament -- use every trick you know, because they'll be used against you.
    Now THIS is what I've been talking about all along! JOY! Some REAL playing now!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Sweet! Wait... Does this mean I have to try to get into a guild now? *ghosts away*

Registered
    Mar 2003
    This is a no holds barred tournament -- use every trick you know, because they'll be used against you.
    I think it should be up to the teams if they wish to negotiate particular terms, for example: If you don't pincushion the chest on skelts, we won't either.
    Makes for better games, if teams want to go all out they can as well of course, just leaves options open, particularly for some maps which contain game breaking exploits that are known to certain guilds.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    I'd suggest the map layout takes the balances of each map into account for placement reasons.
    How do you think my current map layout fares?

Quote Originally Posted by okih-imus
    Now THIS is what I've been talking about all along! JOY! Some REAL playing now!
    Note that cheating still isn't allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by The Creator
    Sweet! Wait... Does this mean I have to try to get into a guild now? *ghosts away*
    No. While I expect and hope that most major guilds will be entering, the group rule is there in case some unguilded taffers want to get together and enter as a team.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TafferBoy
    I think it should be up to the teams if they wish to negotiate particular terms, for example: If you don't pincushion the chest on skelts, we won't either.
    Makes for better games, if teams want to go all out they can as well of course, just leaves options open, particularly for some maps which contain game breaking exploits that are known to certain guilds.
    Teams can agree to any kind of voluntary restrictions that they'd like, however they won't be enforced. And if they aren't followed, tough luck -- you're trusting your opponents if you decide to do something like this.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
    How do you think my current map layout fares?
    It looks pretty good, I might suggest swapping Gerome and Bourgeois around- there's a cluster of three easily guardable maps- DE, Breakout and Gerome, all in one corner.
    Nightwarden,
    - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodent
    It looks pretty good, I might suggest swapping Gerome and Bourgeois around- there's a cluster of three easily guardable maps- DE, Breakout and Gerome, all in one corner.
    You'd be foolish to let one team start with all three, though. And if one team can manage to take all three, why not let them have some reward for it? I did that somewhat intentionally to make those maps interesting -- if nobody likes it, though, I can switch it around a bit.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
    It occured to me that the team that starts closest to those three might have a slight advantage, but it's hard to say. It depends how the maps are divided up, and how many teams there are.
    Nightwarden,
    - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by The Creator
    if creator, or anyone for that matter wants to start a group PM me.
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Registered
    Jan 2003
    And the Mockers have officially entered.

Are they the only ones with the guts for it?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Teams can agree to any kind of voluntary restrictions that they'd like, however they won't be enforced. And if they aren't followed, tough luck -- you're trusting your opponents if you decide to do something like this.
    Fair enough, but there will be ramifications none the less, although perhaps in the form of some deathmarking.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Kinkeh, can I get one of those, being as a certain guild won't stop complaining about a certain time another certain guild did something that they didn't foresee and I am a part of that other guild, or is the mark that the certain guild will complain at any oppertuinity about the said event because they are forever bitter about it? LET GO!

On topic, There will be at least 1 more team posted over the weekend once plans are finalised.
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Mar 2003

Icon16

Just remember who brought it up just now?
    I would more be refering to a certain other incident where there was confusion and a dispute about a supposed pre-match agreement.

What matters mach, is that we think we have your measure, are you going to step up and try and defend your guild's title? WHO HAS WHAT IT TAKES OMG

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hahaha, so it's about that is it? The time of The Unforgiven is over... this is the age of the MOCKERS! Hehe, well, our teams have very different goals now.
    ~TuF~

Thread Information