Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1.5 Watcher Model Competition!

Registered
    May 2002

BlackCat 1.5 Watcher Model Competition!

Okay, first a bit of background.
    A long time ago, in a computer far far away, someone created the model that survived all the way to Thievery 1.4 (somehow). Battered, bruised, and rusting badly from all the water arrows, the model has squeaked it's last alertness noise, and become corrupted in the 1.5 package. Attempts to resurrect the model have failed, so it's time to get ourselves a new one. For various reasons, it has been decided that YOU, the wonderful community of dedicated Black Cat gamers, should be the source for this replacement, and so, this competition

If that was too dense for you (or vice versa), we need a new watcher model for TUT. This must be in keeping with the Thief/Thievery universe (victorian/edwardian steampunk) but NOT a clone of the original from Thief. Also, thanks to the limitations of the UT engine, no million poly models please Also bear in mind that this model will replace all the watchers in TUT, so it needs to -fit- and work in a similar manner.

Submissions can be skinned or unskinned, put together a render of the model and post it here.
    Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
    :: Howard Scott

Registered
    Jun 2003
    So your saying it shouldn't be the classic human face like it is now?
    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Might be worth pointing out some free modeling programs,tutorials and resources for Unreal modeling
    ZT
    Aka Trunks0,TrunksOfSuffering

It might also be a good idea to make it look similar to the whistler model.

Either that, or something totally different.

I might contradict myself, but at least I don't contradict myself.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Yeah.. cool idea because I don't like the actual watcher models.
    Too bad I haven't any skills in modelling

Registered
    Jan 2003
    A concept sketch of the new W-5000 steam-powered watcher. It's not a perfect sketch, but it's an idea.

This new piece of electronics, manufactured by SynTek, uses a self-contained steam-powered generator to power 2 high-voltage incandescent lamps, along with optional support to rotate the watcher's view on a horizontal axis, and alarm system. The steam-powered generator has a 1-year lifespan (optional warranty), is waterproof, shatterproof, and can run nonstop indefinitely without overheating. It is top of the line in security systems during this time of heightened crime, buy one today - it doesn't cost you money, it
    saves you money.

Modelling and skinning are in the works. I'll keep everyone updated.

Registered
    May 2002
    Milkshape3D can export files in a format Unreal can handle and has a free trial:

http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-s.../download.html

Registered
    Jan 2003

I would like to see somthing like this....or

"It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

I like that also, lol, or what Salsa posted.

Thanks for link Dalai

Now I just gotta think of a good shape. I'm thinking what ever comes out will be much different from the current models.

*Goes to look at "old" inventions*
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    It's okay to be funny, but keep in mind that this is a real competition.

Can the model be animated?

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Omega
    Can the model be animated?
    Good question. I would say yes - a series of animations for the various states of the watcher (alert, searching, alarm, splashed) along with a static "dead" pose (for being inactive) are all possible - I'd say you'd need at least two if you were going for this - active and inactive, the rest being optional. Leave rotation of the head to the existing actor code however.

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."

Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    It's okay to be funny, but keep in mind that this is a real competition.
    Hmm...you say real competition... I'm have hope to win yet! unless oDDityX, Cythe, Mordengaard, Neopendragon, or one of them smart talented mappers or modelers decides to do something

Question:
    Can it be made in UED 3.0 as a map? Because I can make some really nice stuff in UED that I can't make in some modeling program ^_^

Well good luck to all that are doing work on this.
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    WEll, you could create it as a brush or mesh in Ued3 and them export it to a file that UED 2 can read. I believe that the .U3D brushes are compatible wiht both editors
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

I hav one mor kestion, do you want to keep the watcher in a static location? If not I may have it tilt downwards and fall a bit when it goes offline. Having it move though might mess with some maps that have watchers in a very boxed in location.

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha-Omega
    I hav one mor kestion, do you want to keep the watcher in a static location? If not I may have it tilt downwards and fall a bit when it goes offline. Having it move though might mess with some maps that have watchers in a very boxed in location.
    Ideally the dimensions of the watcher shouldn't change too much, so I'd say 'yes' to a static location, but a small amount of movement is acceptable, if you want to have the watcher "slump" when it's disabled.

Here are some pictures of the old watcher model:
    http://koti.phnet.fi/paa3sa/watcher/

It seems to me it's just one static object (no bones or animations) that just rotates. And of course, if you make a good model, the size can always be tweaked to make it fit (as long as the proportions are OK), so no worries there.

Oh, and I do believe a skin is a definite bonus.
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Registered
    May 2002
    Heh, nice - the last three shots are from Th-Airship - SNEAK PREVIEW PEOPLE! :p

Registered
    May 2002
    Yeah, don't move it much at all, the animation should stay inside its collision cylinder.

Well this thread seems to have gone pretty quiet so I figured I'd post some pics of my progress so far.

The backside of the watcher is hollow so I plan to add a lot of animated gears and machine stuffs.

Hmm, I just realized that I can't have the watcher attatched to the ceiling by a holder from the rear; if the model is going to rotate from the center then it should attach to the ceiling from there too. In that case I will probably rerout a few of those eye camera wires to an attatchment at the top of the head.

Anyhoo, that's about 3 or so hours of work. Comments, crits?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    The idea of a very 'human' looking device seems to fit the style of thievery. Should it have a mouth for the alarm?
    Conformity is the refuge of the unimaginative, the dull and the stupid
    The internet based realm of Decompiler

That's your call.

Alpha-O:
    That's looking pretty nifty. Those thin wires look a bit dangerous to me, tho.

Can you mold those to the... uhh... as sort of bumps on the seams of the actual head polygons?

As for the ceiling attachment... you could still put a lump of machinery behind the head part so it's sort of balanced. And in any case, you can certainly define where the actual center of the model is.
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Registered
    May 2002
    I like the long face.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    it looks like a mask of a icehockey-goalie.
    (But I like it.. the wires should be red or something so that it doesn't look too similar to the actual watcher)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Aye, quite nice Alpha!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yeah, the long face makes it look very sour. Cool

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey, why the long face?

Bwahahaha.

Registered
    Mar 2003
    A + Normal( B - A ) * ((( B - A ) dot ( P - A )) / VSize( A - B ))
    It's nice, but not quite... original, if you know what I mean

Here's a quick alternative concept if anyone's interested:
    ]V[]V[

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Mine's better, it has spotlights

Registered
    Sep 2003
    I *DID* beat Thievery! YEAH! (confirmed by dragon)
    All he did was modify a picture of John Kerry!

Thread Information