Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NVG question amongst others

NVG question amongst others

Ok so I have the problem that others mentioned in a previous thread where the NightVision Goggles do essentially nothing. I wondered if it had to do with what renderer I was using.. D3D or D3D9... Well D3D9 now crashes, in both UT2k4 and AlienSwarm. Does anyone know if this is a result of 3355 patch?
    I have an ATI Radeon 9600SE. I use to use D3D9. I never noticed the change back untill I tried to switch while looking for a way to fix the NVG. Anyhow, I wondered if that had anything to do with it. Also does anyone with working NVG care to post the [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice] section of their ini file?
    I would really like to get NVG working once I saw how it is supposed to look. Thanks for any relplies.

P.S. Also in my poking around I noticed there are a bunch of AO-xxx.ucl in my UT2K4/System/ folder... why do they go there when they are already in UT2K4/AlienSwarm/System ?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    It's interesting that it doesn't work for you. I had an nVidia card (Geforce 4 Ti4600) and it didn't work for me, now I have an Ati card (Radeon X800 XL) and it does. What settings have you got? I now have everything on max, perhaps it is one of the settings. Otherwise, maybe it's a driver problem.
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Sep 2004
    You went out and bought a whole new video card jsut to get the NVG to work Carth?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I just couldn't stand it not working.
    I think I can love you

Quote Originally Posted by Carth
    It's interesting that it doesn't work for you. I had an nVidia card (Geforce 4 Ti4600) and it didn't work for me, now I have an Ati card (Radeon X800 XL) and it does. What settings have you got? I now have everything on max, perhaps it is one of the settings. Otherwise, maybe it's a driver problem.
    I have the Nvidia chip and everything is on normal or lower.NVG works fine.

My settings

Like I said above my card is Radeon 9600SE, my driver is Omega 2.5.58 (it is kinda old, but I have had problems with newer versions), and here is the relevant bit from my ini file:
    Code:
    [D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
    DetailTextures=True
    HighDetailActors=True
    SuperHighDetailActors=False
    UsePrecaching=True
    UseTrilinear=False
    AdapterNumber=-1
    ReduceMouseLag=True
    UseTripleBuffering=False
    UseHardwareTL=True
    UseHardwareVS=True
    UseCubemaps=True
    DesiredRefreshRate=85
    UseCompressedLightmaps=True
    UseStencil=False
    Use16bit=False
    Use16bitTextures=False
    MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
    UseVSync=True
    LevelOfAnisotropy=1
    DetailTexMipBias=0.000000
    DefaultTexMipBias=-0.500000
    UseNPatches=False
    TesselationFactor=1.000000
    CheckForOverflow=False
    AvoidHitches=False
    OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
    ReportUnusedTextures=False
    DecompressTextures=False
    TerrainLOD=0
    SkyboxHack=False
    LowQualityTerrain=False
    Anyone spot anything that looks suspect?

Thanks

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Nobody's flat out said it, but it seems to be a video driver issue. Not having the latest drivers, or as the case may be, having the latest drivers.

As an example, my GeForce 4 Ti4200 did naughty things (like crash, and not show the pictures for stims and mines) with anything later than 52.16.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I have an Nvidia FX 5200 with old drivers and it works for me
    "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

still no luck

I updated my drivers. I tried things like setting useNpatches to true, turned trilinear filtering on and off, turned off anisotropic filtering, things like that and I still can't get NVG to work. I am really perplexed because like others stated the NVG functions proplerly when I press the talk key or bring down the console. So I know my graphics card can do the proper effect, but it doesn't work normally. I hope this can be fixed as a bug in the 1.3 release. If any developers would like to address the issue, I would be happy to give any information to try to track down the bug. If anyone finds a solution short of buying a new card I would love to hear about that.
    Would someone with it working, like DarkLord or Salsa please post the section of there inin file like I did above? Maybe it is something in there.
    Thanks.

Registered
    May 2004
    If they cant fix the NVG they'll probably replace it with cigarettes for Wolfe
    *these would give off a huge ammount of light as they are night-vision smokes!*

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Now I have problems!

[D3DDrv.D3DRenderDevice]
    DetailTextures=True
    HighDetailActors=True
    SuperHighDetailActors=True
    UsePrecaching=True
    UseTrilinear=True
    AdapterNumber=-1
    ReduceMouseLag=True
    UseTripleBuffering=False
    UseHardwareTL=True
    UseHardwareVS=True
    UseCubemaps=True
    DesiredRefreshRate=60
    UseCompressedLightmaps=True
    UseStencil=False
    Use16bit=False
    Use16bitTextures=False
    MaxPixelShaderVersion=255
    UseVSync=False
    LevelOfAnisotropy=1
    DetailTexMipBias=0.0
    DefaultTexMipBias=-0.5
    UseNPatches=False
    TesselationFactor=1.0
    CheckForOverflow=False
    AvoidHitches=False
    OverrideDesktopRefreshRate=False
    ReportUnusedTextures=False

But on your section it has 4 more lines! Wierd....
    "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

Did the NVG stop working for you DarkLord? If so did you make any changes to your system or settings?
    I don't know why my ini has a few more lines than yours... that is weird. It could be because I used to use D3D9 renderer and it used to have more lines than the regular D3D section... then when I patched (to 3355 I think but it could have been the one before) it switched me to reg D3D automatically. It might have carried over a few "useless" lines into that section because they had values when the patch changed which renderer I use.... I don't know though.
    I don't see any real differences in our settings though... the stuff like trilinear and vsync I already experimented with. Oh well thanks for taking the time to post it up.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I dont really know if the NVG still works i didnt use it since i discovered the gamma trick , but ill test it tonight.
    PS: When you said you wanted the ini file you were asking the UT2004.ini RIGHT?

What is the gamma trick?

I was wanting to see the section from your AlienSwarm.ini file which is in UT2004/AlienSwarm/System folder... but it is most likely the same as your UT2004.ini file.

Let me know after you test it.
    Thanks

Registered
    Mar 2005
    The gamma trick consists in increasing your gamma so that it will produce a much better effect then the NVG. The NVG just turns everything in green

PS: It worked perfectly, so heres my suggestion: forget the NVG an just increase your gamma like explainde above.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Gamma switching is an exploit XD

Just like r00f h4xing and suicide binding
    The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I like to call it a "trick"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    The only real difference is SuperHighDetailActors? I used to have this as false, and now it's true, so worth a try at least.

As for the difference in the number of options, it could be depending on the patches you've installed (note I didn't say the latest patch you have installed). The 3204 patch adds DirectX 9 support, if you didn't install this patch, you don't have support for it. Could this add some rendering options, as could other old patches? If you bought UT2004 recently and just put the latest patch on, you won't have all those options.
    I think I can love you

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Well, as I stated, NV didn't work for me. And then yesterday it did. Yeah. I changed nothing, it just started working for no reason.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

How odd, Big_D. Was it a Listen, Dedicated or (No) Server you were on at the time?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Could it have to do with what game(s) you played before Alien Swarm?

That would have to be pretty precise, but I suppose it could make an impact if they had memory leaks.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    There's a number of games that don't return directX or OpenGL to their normal states after being run. For instance, if I run Morrowind before Guild Wars the gamma settings from Morrowind are retained in GWs.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I generally don't start another game first, and it didn't work on my old computer and now it does.
    I think I can love you

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carth
    and it didn't work on my old computer and now it does.
    I say this, but after something BiG_D said, I tried it offline. It doesn't work. If it doesn't work for you, I recommend trying it online, where it does work for me now. The thing that Butters said is true too, if you get the mini-console (tab) or the full console up, it suddenly works. Why?
    I think I can love you

Unhappy no luck

I tried it online on my own dedicated server (same machine though) and it still doesn't work... except when I pull down the console or press the talk key. Hmm I will have to try it on other servers.

Carth does that mean you bought a new graphics card for nothing? Or did it not work online before either?

Oh well *crosses fingers* maybe it will be fixed in 1.3.

Quote Originally Posted by SnugWillet
    maybe
    Maybe...or maybe not.....*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SnugWillet
    Carth does that mean you bought a new graphics card for nothing?
    Curses!
    I think I can love you

Well think on the bright side Carth.At least now u have a better video card for the newer and better AS:I.Much better graphics id presume from the screenshots.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    wat do nvgs look like when they work? On my comp, things just look green with slight brightness, no real nvg effect like compared to that of Splinter Cell.

Thread Information