Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The best anti-rape device?

Account not validated
    Registered
    May 2005

Registered
    Jan 2003
    OOO nasty,

I get by by simply being ugly as sin tho <- now THAT is a good deterrent.

---

It is sad that somebody has thought that something like this is required to help prevent rape, but I guess thats the world we live in, and I don't know the situation which has caused them to begin developing something this... perhaps a family member or friend subjected to the crime?
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Apr 2005
    It's a good idea, but i can see a downside to it. You can't see that a woman is wearing it, the rapist will have to beleive her word and let her go. If he doesn't do that (because it'll probably sound like a desperate attempt to get released), she'll still be raped, and when that thing bites the penis, the pain might make him violent.

Strange world we live in, indeed. And rape's the least of South Africa's worries.
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    And i thought being butt-ugly was good enough these days.

I agree, pestcontrol, that such pain would make a rapist violent. Of all the reasons for turning rapist (pure insanity, unbalanced hormones, anger, fear, etc.) every one will induce violent tendancies when (pardon the pun) coupled with pain.
    Last edited by Radamanthus; 9th Jun 2005 at 09:33 AM.
    "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I see it getting women hurt or killed, because it's... effectively the opening move in a fight. If they can't back it up to fend the rapist off, like PestControl says it might make them violent. If they try to use it as a threat, the rapist might just find a way to remove it first. Also, it only gets the first perpetrator of a gang rape, and is likely to make the rest of the gang vindictive.

Lisa Vetten, quoted in the article, in none too bright a spark. The comparison to chastity belts is weak to say the least: they're largely a myth, and the most verifiable instances of them are where they're used as protection against rape rather than a tool of oppression. (PM me if you want the source, as other pages at the site are decidedly against the forum rules I find it interesting that they're popularly viewed as a method for patriarchal societies to subdue female sexuality, when it turns out that most documented cases are of the restriction of male sexuality).

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pestcontrol
    And rape's the least of South Africa's worries.
    EXCUSE ME??? I think you'd better explain yourself! South Africa is the rape capital of the world (although the murder rate is also high).

Last year, there were 52 733 reported rapes. In a study, the Gender-Based Violence Programme at the CSVR analysed 162 rapes in Johannesburg's inner city and found that one in four had been a gang rape. The study found that 56 percent of the victims had been raped by two men and 23 percent by three.
    I think there are cultural problems behind the mass rapes in South Africa but I strongly suggest that you apologise to all the women on this forum for your ignorant and hurtful comments (if you said that in my presence I'd knock all your teeth out).

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Like Nachimir, I really don't see this being terribly effective. I think a can of mace or the like would probably be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Convict
    I think there are cultural problems behind the mass rapes in South Africa but I strongly suggest that you apologise to all the women on this forum for your ignorant and hurtful comments (if you said that in my presence I'd knock all your teeth out).
    I strongly suggest you apologize to all the men on this forum for your ignorant and hurtful comments implying than only women can be raped.

And before you go knocking out teeth, I suggest you find the context that quote was intended in.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hey guess what? Santa Hat season is coming...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    I get by by simply being ugly as sin tho <- now THAT is a good deterrent.
    So by the same logic, women should prevent rape by being ugly as sin.

Not a humerous subject.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Convict
    EXCUSE ME??? I think you'd better explain yourself! South Africa is the rape capital of the world (although the murder rate is also high).
    As you said, besides the very large number of rapes, South Africa has the highest murder rate of any nation in the world, and a very high percentage of AIDS infections. There used to be a weekly column in the news paper of a retired doctor who moved there and ran a little hospital in a township somewhere. It's further from this world than some of the fantasy i've read.

From wikipedia: "21.5% of the South African population have been estimated to be HIV positive in 2004"
    That's 9.5 million people. Presidend Thao Mbeki is a denialist.

And all of those staticstics are just symptoms, the real problems are poverty, society, culture and politics imho.

I've been trying to think of something better.. perhaps a chemical solution that only starts working after a few hours, and possibly some form of unique tracer that can act as a marker and legal proof.
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Quote Originally Posted by Radamanthus
    I agree, pestcontrol, that such pain would make a rapist violent. Of all the reasons for turning rapist (pure insanity, unbalanced hormones, anger, fear, etc.) every one will induce violent tendancies when (pardon the pun) coupled with pain.
    Apparently there's no pain. The article states that the rapist wouldn't even be aware of such a device until he withdrew. It's only an attempt to remove it that would result in any pain and damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Pestcontrol
    I've been trying to think of something better.. perhaps a chemical solution that only starts working after a few hours, and possibly some form of unique tracer that can act as a marker and legal proof.
    That's a nice thought, but it probably wouldn't be as effective at getting the criminal in custody. A marker, on the skin or in the bloodstream would eventually "wear off", quite possibly before the criminal was caught. In any event, it doesn't induce the sense of immediacy this device does.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Thief13x
    most women these days deserve to be raped ...or should I say, stuckup bitches

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingRat
    Apparently there's no pain. The article states that the rapist wouldn't even be aware of such a device until he withdrew. It's only an attempt to remove it that would result in any pain and damage.
    Still, a device that renders them identifiable would probably still make them meaner.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Careful what you say there Timmy that's really an innoble thought, no person man/woman should experience to be raped. It does not only interfere with a persons sanity, it interferes with their life. Those who get raped, will in some cases not have sex again, because of the memory they have gained. And it probably hunts them through their entire life.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Precisely, i think all the men here can relate to your frustrations, but this just isn't the thread.

My idea was that the rapist(s) do not, at that time, know they are being marked and/or getting some chemical on them that's nasty and takes some time to work. This is because i can't think of anything that would help a woman getting raped at the actual moment, save regular lethal or nonlethal weapons.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    You know, men also get raped. It happends. If they 'deserve' it or not is up tp you to 'judge', but maybe you should buy a device such as that yourself?

It shouldn't be named anti-rape device tho, as it doesn't stop a rape from happening. It might, however, enable the police to identify rapers;

"You're under arrest! Gently pull down your pants and show us your willie!"

Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    You know, men also get raped. It happends. If they 'deserve' it or not is up tp you to 'judge', but maybe you should buy a device such as that yourself?

It shouldn't be named anti-rape device tho, as it doesn't stop a rape from happening. It might, however, enable the police to identify rapers;

"You're under arrest! Gently pull down your pants and show us your willie!"

Now that would get some odd looks from bystanders.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Misuses spring to mind.

I'm guessing it's not a huge hunk of plastic. More likely to be something thin and filmy, that can barely be felt (so theoretically it could incorrectly lend weight to wrongful accusations of rape) and possibly turned inside out (if the rapist checks for it first) <-- *ouch*

A comment like this doesn't deserve anything remotely resembling a polite or civil reply.

Shut the fuck up, you goddamned halfwitted fucktwit. Better still, go blast your testicles off with a shotgun. Spare us all the possibility that you might actully spawn something of your own. No woman, no matter how stuck up, DESERVES to be raped.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachimir
    Still, a device that renders them identifiable would probably still make them meaner.
    No argument at all, here. I was just pointing out that the assumptions a couple people seemed to have made were inaccurate, according to the article.

Registered
    Sep 2003
    wish someone would res my b-day thread bc it's my bday today.
    I have sex with my hand!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeSkillet
    wish someone would res my b-day thread bc it's my bday today.
    And that has no relation to this thread -- resurrect it yourself if you'd like, but don't randomly ask for it in an unrelated thread.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I think Sisu put it very, very well. Lots of other good points also, kudos all.

Except Thief13x. Shame on you, no one deserves this kind of pain (not even Hitler). Being cruel to cruel people doesn't solve anything.

To me, this whole idea is horrid. For one, it doesn't stop someone from getting raped in the momment, it's a terror-tactic at heart... sort of like the death penalty. If enough killers know they'll get the axe, in theory violent crime should lesson. Of course, in practice you probably need to kill everyone in prison before capital punishment becomes a deterant. In the USA states with the death penalty have a much greater rate of violent crime, as an example.

Similarly, only if every women in the world (or maybe at least half) used this device, and every potential rapist knew about it... then maybe it would work, but most likely they would just check to see if it was there, then rape their victim. And yeah, if they noticed after that they've been tagged odds are they'll be much more inclined to inflict more pain. Rape is about psychology... the rapist needs to be in charge (usually), and this device takes that from them.

And it would not solve this problem: Most rapes occur amongst people who know each other, and rape occurs often in marriages as well. You think a married women is going to start wearing a condom-like "penis trap" because she and her husband are fighting for a few months?

... I could keep ranting, but it's just too silly an idea. I give it two thumbs down.
    paler.pumpkin@gmail.com - My favorite color, the tone of my skin, my EMail address and the best type of pie!

Registered
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill
    And that has no relation to this thread -- resurrect it yourself if you'd like, but don't randomly ask for it in an unrelated thread.
    i would if i could but, m2 locked it for today.
    I have sex with my hand!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeSkillet
    i would if i could but, m2 locked it for today.
    Then talk to him about it. Don't interrupt unrelated threads -- including this one -- about it again.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Taking over the world - One mod at a time...
    Timmy - crawl back into your dark age cave.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug
    Dan, does this girl even know you? At all?

Registered
    Jan 2003

timmy you F*cking idiot!! no one deserves that!

EDIT: i see others think the same thing...
    This is my cool sig.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by WildBill
    I strongly suggest you apologize to all the men on this forum for your ignorant and hurtful comments implying than only women can be raped.

And before you go knocking out teeth, I suggest you find the context that quote was intended in.
    How is it hurtful for him to comment like that after reading an article about the amount of raped women?
    The fact the comment was made about women is quite understandable, not to mention that the post itself never attempted to argue men weren't raped, not did it attempt to detract from that (unlike the way Pest's original comment detracted from the severity of rape in general). That's nothing more than a strawman.

And especially in context, Pest's comment was particularly dismissive of something that is certainly NOT the "least" of South Africa's worries. First off, that implies he doesn't see it as a particularly bad issue (not as bad of 13x but still borderline) and secondly, he seems to dismiss the fact that it transmits HIV - which is another of SA's major problems.
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Im a South African myself, and the news are always filled with rape cases, from old women to even babies. It so sad to see this great country fall in such dark times... and its not going to get better soon.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Thiefx : All females are whores, it isn't their fault. It's called being human, and actively seeking to reproduce. edit : But in most cases, they don't deserve to be raped.

That said, the bite thing might actually turn people on.

Not me though.
    Seriously.

Why are you staring at me.
    Last edited by beast; 9th Jun 2005 at 09:20 PM.
    deserve victory

Registered
    Jan 2003
    How is it hurtful for him to comment like that after reading an article about the amount of raped women?
    It's the indirectly stated assumption -- exactly what he'd been protesting. You noticed the parallels, and saw my point. It wasn't intended to be a particularly valid argument.

And especially in context, Pest's comment was particularly dismissive of something that is certainly NOT the "least" of South Africa's worries. First off, that implies he doesn't see it as a particularly bad issue (not as bad of 13x but still borderline) and secondly, he seems to dismiss the fact that it transmits HIV - which is another of SA's major problems.
    While Pest shouldn't have been that casually dismissive, it's likely it was an unfortunate choice of words instead of an underlying lack of concern. He's demonstrated in the past that he's a decent guy, and I thought threatening to remove his teeth could wait until he clarified.

Registered
    Sep 2003
    I *DID* beat Thievery! YEAH! (confirmed by dragon)
    Ahaha Timmy's getting the smack down! X-D

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Two things, i'm not a native speaker, and i seem to have a way with pissing off people without intention. When it's intentionally i'll be so rude there can be no doubt, don't worry

And obviously i never meant to say rape is not a problem, it is horrible in ways i can hardly imagine, a very serious crime and expecially in south africa a very real and serious problem. No doubt about that. I just wanted to say that in my eyes, aids and the extreme murder rate are worse still.

Thread Information