Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will there be a 1st perspective view?

Registered
    Aug 2004

Question Will there be a 1st perspective view?

I know in original Alien Swarm, there is sort of a third perspective view (camera) in multiplayer. I would love to see a first perspective view instead of top view. Will that happen?

Thank you in advance.
    Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Man...that boy sure loves him some ants.

To answer your question: Go play Aliens vs Predator.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Moses2k
    Man...that boy sure loves him some ants.

To answer your question: Go play Aliens vs Predator.
    Heh, I did finish AvP games. Now, I want Alien Swarm to be in 1st perspective.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    *slaps MjrHurtz on the back hard enough to make him see stars*
    Good one.

No seriously, it would be cool, but be warned...do you really wanna see Wildcat's crazy eyes close up?
    Crash still has nightmares, do _you_ wanna risk that?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    i think a reverstpersonview would be cool, that way you couldnt see where you were shooting
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Not unless there's a fairly substantial change in the basic gameplay.

And I don't think that's likely.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    how about a small box on the left of the screen that is the characters perspective. (like when u die).
    that wont take away from the sworm fiel.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Thats like asking THQ to put dinosaurs with demonic powers with Hilary Clintons voice into Call of Duty.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    The game may have been fun for more than 10 minutes had they done that, though

Especially if you can play as the dinosaurs! RAWR!
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Belgdor
    Thats like asking THQ to put dinosaurs with demonic powers with Hilary Clintons voice into Call of Duty.
    lol

and lol

Registered
    Aug 2004

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by MjrHuRTz
    But then it would be avp
    LOL. No, it wouldn't. At least FOX lawyers wouldn't shut them down.

I think DOOM 3's engine would be good.

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Yeah, I'm basically in agreement that it wouldn't work as it would be changing the game too much, although I hope they keep the little 3rd person view for the stims =]

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Alien swarm has to stay over top view becasue thats what makes it unique and cool theres hundreds of fps games out there and thats acctually why I played Alien swarm.

if i remember the quote correctly , from sumone in bs if i reember you cant do first person on it cos youd have a heart attack. the laiens come that fast and from every nagle and with the lag sum of us suffer youd see thme 10 m away then 2 then your dead so no its better in 3rd person also in as you dont atchually paly as a soldier , you paly as a commader , explaining to the top down view

Registered
    Jan 2003
    I request a 1424th person view, where the camera focusses on some random person back on earth, who then proceeds to narrate your actions.

WILDCAT FIRES AT THE ALIEN BUT OH... OOHH... OH NO! SHE JUST SET FAITH ON FIRE! SHE'S TRYING TO PUT HER OUT NOW, SLAPPING HER BUM, SLAPPING OUT THE FIRE! FAITH'S BURNING CLOTHES ARE FALLING OFF NOW, WILDCAT CONTINUES TO SLAP FAITH... OR IS SHE SPANKING HER? AND WHAT ON EARTH IS SHE DOING WITH THAT STUN BATON?

AS: I... rated M... I mean A for adult.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by -=V12US=-
    WILDCAT FIRES AT THE ALIEN BUT OH... OOHH... OH NO! SHE JUST SET FAITH ON FIRE! SHE'S TRYING TO PUT HER OUT NOW, SLAPPING HER BUM, SLAPPING OUT THE FIRE! FAITH'S BURNING CLOTHES ARE FALLING OFF NOW, WILDCAT CONTINUES TO SLAP FAITH... OR IS SHE SPANKING HER? AND WHAT ON EARTH IS SHE DOING WITH THAT STUN BATON?
    Tell us more
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    May 2005
    Hey, how about one of the classes is psychic or something and he has a small screen in the corner which shows the viewpoint of the nearest alien, kind of like a scout.

Of course if AS:I uses the same kind of swarm spawning, that idea would be pretty useless...

Registered
    Oct 2004
    hahahaahah

Ahh, Raz...funny guy.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    1 thing first person= Space Hulk the video game.

Not kidding...

The Space Hulk video game really kinda sucked. A 1st person view in Alien Swarm would too, both from a gameplay, optimisation and visual point of view.

first person view = levitating barrels and flying cocroaches

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by UArchitect
    first person view = levitating barrels and flying cocroaches
    I can see where we're going...You go first Moses
    The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Actually i'd like to see a CLOSER view, but definitely not something 3rd person. I think the top down view is ok, but i always have the feeling that it's not something i could play for long - sorta like a flash game. What we're talking about here with purely 3rd person is an extremely simplified environment. If the camera was a bit closer, that would give it a bit of a FPS feel too. I dunno if that'd be possible tho coz i suspect the maps in the game have no height or something.

Registered
    May 2004
    Get UT2004 and try Alien Swarm, it's a lot smarter than some random flash game and very addictive. Top down view is what makes it special, it wouldn't make sense any other way actually. If the camera was much closer you wouldn't know what's nibbling at you or where it came from.

Having isometric view as an option in AS:I seems very cool though. If only to admire the models and maps from a slightly different perspective.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulukai
    The Space Hulk video game really kinda sucked.
    But they shout "BURN!" whenever they use their flamers! So cool!
    Their autocannons have only 10 shots. So tactical!! Autocannons sound so much better than autoguns as well!!
    And their guns jam. So challenging!!!

It also has a cool intro!
    "To the left!"
    "Bang! Bang! Bang!"

Quote Originally Posted by -=V12US=-
    Don't stop now! I was almost "there"

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Uhm.

*backs away*
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hamster
    Actually i'd like to see a CLOSER view, but definitely not something 3rd person. I think the top down view is ok, but i always have the feeling that it's not something i could play for long - sorta like a flash game. What we're talking about here with purely 3rd person is an extremely simplified environment. If the camera was a bit closer, that would give it a bit of a FPS feel too. I dunno if that'd be possible tho coz i suspect the maps in the game have no height or something.
    I had all the same reservations about Alien Swarm when I first started. I'm a FPSer at heart and switching to 3rd person view seemed like a total waste of time, and it seemed like a waste of UT2k4's engine. But after playing Alien Swarm for a little bit those reservations disappeared completely. So like fluffy said...try Alien Swarm first. There is a reason BCG won awards for the mod.

I really think it's this simple: A good game is a good game. If a game is well made it's going to suit its particular platform, genre, etc. and will keep providing interesting and challenging gameplay. Look at Tetris for example...without prior knowledge of the game could you look at some screen shots and understand how addictive Tetris can be? I doubt it.

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by (SOB)Ran-bot
    Look at Tetris for example...without prior knowledge of the game could you look at some screen shots and understand how addictive Tetris can be? I doubt it.

Thread Information