Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A sneak peak on vBulletin 3.5

Registered
    Jan 2003

Thumbs up A sneak peak on vBulletin 3.5

Welcome to the vBulletin 3.5 sneak peak thread!

:- Eh, what on earth are you talking about?

I'm preparing to upgrade the Black Cat vBulletin Forums from version 3.0.8 to the new 3.5 release. This new version has been reworked a lot since the 3.0.x versions, and has got a numerous of new, smart and cool features.

The 3.5 version has not been released in a gold (read: final/stable) version yet, but the RC1 version has proved to be fairly stable (read: no reported showstopper bugs). If you ever encounter a bug, please report it in this thread so I can apply a hotfix. Whenever a new RC (read: release candidate) -version is released, I'll apply the patch ASAP. I guess there won't be more than 2-4 RC-releases before 3.5 goes gold, something I predict will happen sometime in August.

:- So, what are these new features?

Hold tight, this ride is wild!

New mark-read system: hot!
    - Instead of using cookies and inactivity timeouts to determine what should be considered unread versus read threads/posts, vBulletin now opt to track this via the database. Individual threads are considered read only if you have actually read them. Also, as soon as you have read all threads in a forum, it's light bulb will go out; no need to visit the forum list! This also means that the problem with all threads being marked read when your session/cookie times out (after 15 minutes of inactivity) is long gone.

MySQL fulltext search:
    - We've got a hole in the search index because the biggest thread on this forum (with a ridiculous amount of tags/quotes/chars) totally crash the indexing process. This means not all threads are being searched in. MySQL fulltext search removes this issue, it's easier on the server, and supports both Natural language and Boolean search. A boolean search works very closely to the way the current search works (with some additional options, such as phrase searching); a natural language search is easier on the server but doesn't always returns the results you want.

AJAX support: hot!
    - AJAX (Asynchronous Javascript and XML) allows your browser to send and receive data from the server without reloading the current page. This technology, whose use is being pioneered by Google, allows developers to create rich, fast-responding interactive pages. For example, in vBulletin 3.5 moderators can simply click on the status icon for a thread in the forumdisplay page to toggle its open/closed status, or double click in the table cell of a thread title to instantly edit the thread title without having to navigate away to a dedicated editing page. AJAX also enables you to edit your own post directly from the showthread page without updating/loading any new pages.

New message editor:
    - The editor you use to post threads and messages with has been totally rewritten. It's much faster to load, cleaner, easier, better at inserting bbcode tags around a highlighted area/text, fixes badly nested tags - and it supports AJAX. Look at the pretty pictures further down to see what this is all about.

Inline attachments:
    - Forget about having all of the attached images added to the bottom of the thread. The new [attach] BB code allows you to reference an attachment directly in a post, which means you can display the image inbetween text etc. Usage: [ attach ]attachmentid[ /attach ] or use the attachment drop down in the WYSIWYG (read: What You See Is What You Get) and Enhanced editors to insert your attachments.

There are loads of other "minor" features, but I won't use time to list it here - you'll soon notice them yourself. And there's also alot of other big features, but they're mostly for administration and moderation so I won't list it here either, as it hasn't got much to do with your browsing experience. If you're interested to hear about it, feel free to ask.

Another thing that's new in 3.5 is the style I've designed. It looks much the same as our current one (that this forum is using) with the same colors etc, but the code is cleaner, and I've made the layout tighter and more professional.

:- I want to look at these new features now!

Okay okay! Calm down and let me dig up some screenshots for you.

AJAX in use:
    - Below is a screenshot of a post I just posted which has the word AJAX spelled wrong:

To easily fix this typo I just click on the EDIT button to load up the editor *inside* of the post:

Once the typo is corrected I click on SAVE. The edited post is then saved to the database and the post is updated using AJAX. All of this happends without having to reload/update the page - which makes it many times faster. Also, note that when you're using the Quick Reply feature, the post is also inserted with AJAX - which means no page reload.

And here's what you do if you just posted a thread but wants to update/change the title. Simply doubleclick on the right side of the title on forumdisplay:

Another cool thing with AJAX is the possibility to auto-insert a nick when you're sending a PM:

Inline attachment:
    - Let me show you how to add an inline attachement. Just upload the image as you usually do, then click where you want the image inserted before you click on the attachment icon in the editor.

This is how it will look when posted (the image is sized down and is clickable if you want to see the fullsize image):

- Many of you click the "New Posts" link in the navbar when you visit the forums to get a list of new/updated threads. This feature has been reworked a bit (the screenshot talks for itself):

Inline moderation:
    - This is a thing that will make the moderators job easier and faster, just thought I'd show you how cool it is. You might have noticed checkboxes in posts and threads in the above screenshots - this is something you won't see as an ordinary member as it is for moderators and administrators only. Take a look at this screenshot:

The moderators can easily mark threads and choose what moderator operation to perform from a dropdown box. This way threads can easily be split/merged, closed/opened, etc. The same goes for single posts, so merging doubleposts and splitting threads is now a hell of a lot easier - it just requires a few clicks. And the cool thing is that the moderator can mark 2 posts in one thread, then go to another thread in a different forum and mark 2 posts there - and then choose to split those (4) posts to a new topic. Cool, eh?

Alright, that's it for now. More soon.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Cool!But since this is a sticky i better post some questions. So do you have any idea when this website is gonna upgrade?
    Your order has been dispatched!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Very soon.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Nice! So, does this mean that after the upgrade, if I log out, it won't clear all my unread thread markers but I can continue right where I left off? Because now it clears them and I have to contribute a significant amount of time with each login to get through all the new threads or lose track of them.

Currently this is an interfering job to do while at work
    My cats are black! How about yours?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucchus
    So, does this mean that after the upgrade, if I log out, it won't clear all my unread thread markers but I can continue right where I left off?
    That is correct.

The database will store this information for 14 days. If you don't log in within these 14 days, the information is pruned and all threads are marked read.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    *sighs*
    Do implement this soon, just now a power outage erased all my unread-marks and I'll have to do some detective work... :/
    My cats are black! How about yours?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    What about ads? Will there be any?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucchus
    *sighs*
    Do implement this soon, just now a power outage erased all my unread-marks and I'll have to do some detective work... :/
    Yeah, I'm having the same problem. Browsing the forums at work and then suddenly I have to run to do a task. Extremely irritating.

Quote Originally Posted by deathispainfull
    What about ads? Will there be any?
    You want ads? o_O

No, there won't be any ads. Ever.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    No i dont want ads,

Good no ads ever.

I am saved!
    O wait theres no adds in this *hits his head and sighs*

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Sounds great mOdE Fantastic work there mate! :goodjob:
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Good work mode,looks promising.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    *Gasp* Does this actually mean there won't be typos anymore...!?

And that DIPs posts get locked before reply #1?
    The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantaloz
    And that DIPs posts get locked before reply #1?
    Hmm....i actually want to stick to this one

Yea, no google adds

Cool, going to use that "Forum upgrade in progress" picture?
    If you got rid of it I still got it saved on computer from when you did that PM clear thing, lol
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Registered
    Jan 2003
    oooohhhhhh, Looks good
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Looks fantastic, can't wait for this
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

this ajax thingy, when you add a post the page doesnt need to be reloaded and stuff, will this work when other people post while your watching the page, so you see their replies pop up that very second and the thread grows as you watch, in realtime!

probably not as that would cause frustration for posting but i figured i would ask anyway would be cool if it did

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by UArchitect
    this ajax thingy [...] will this work when other people post while your watching the page, so you see their replies pop up that very second and the thread grows as you watch, in realtime!
    No, but if you post using the quick reply, and someone else has already added a new post while you were reading the thread, the new post pops up above your newest quick reply. Without a page refresh!

super leet

what about realtime shadows and normal mapping to the quickreply box?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Can't have it all.... at once that is.

Very nice, and I wish you the best of luck on the upgrade, M2, but as I already discussed with you in private, it still doesn't have the features I'd most like to see.

It needs to have an auto spell checker so we don't have to try to decipher certain peoples posts who may not notice they have misspelled something. Or can it do that?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition
    It needs to have an auto spell checker so we don't have to try to decipher certain peoples posts who may not notice they have misspelled something. Or can it do that?
    If you're using Internet Explorer, vB supports a 3.rd party spell checker. Once you install it, you can just click on a button in the editor to get it to spellcheck the post.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Do you have the name of such a third party checker?
    ~TuF~

damn, is there one for firefox?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMachine
    Do you have the name of such a third party checker?
    ieSpell is the one with built-in support in vBulletin once you install it.

I think this was more like a test and that they will implement support for a spellchecker working in all browser at a later stage. I might even implement a spellchecker myself, we'll see.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Thanks M2, I might give that one a try, it's free too!!
    ~TuF~

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Perhaps a checker that won't let people post if their error/word ratio is more that 10%
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    That filter should also sort out trolling and idiocy.

Quote Originally Posted by mOdEtWo
    That filter should also sort out trolling and idiocy.
    Now you're talking!

Thread Information