Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nightblade: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SpamSlayer
    Question #2:
    If I make a custom skin for myself and the server has the skin I made installed then when others connect to the server will they download the skin? (assuming the server is set up for file transfer)
    It'd depend on what the ServerPackages list has in it whether they would download the skin or not, and even if it isn't listed in the ServerPackages list, anyone with the skin installed on their machine will be able to see it. If they don't have it installed, your skin would appear as a standard skin set by the server.

That's the way it is in vanilla UT2k4 anyways.

Registered
    Oct 2004
    I think I'll need to go through that NightBlade tutorial at least 3 times
    The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Registered
    Jan 2006
    And what about levels, it will be like in thievery - shortly levels, or it will be a big City?

Registered
    May 2002

BlackCat

Quote Originally Posted by Alex-X-x
    And what about levels, it will be like in thievery - shortly levels, or it will be a big City?
    Yes, the game will be level-based (ie not like games like GTA or Oblivion)
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Registered
    Jan 2006
    hmmm :/ it`s not good , will be level`s a bit bigger then thievery?

Registered
    May 2002

BlackCat

Levels will be on average around the same as in Thievery.

Also please note that the first (FAQ) post has been updated (04 April 2006) with some questions and info that may be new to some.
    Last edited by oRGy; 4th Apr 2006 at 05:06 PM.
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Quote Originally Posted by oRGy
    Will Nightblade cost any money like Alien Swarm:Infested?
    This is as yet undecided. If that does turn out to be the case however there will be a demo.
    Well, can't say that's the best of news, if the case is that it does cost money, will there be like a bonus or semi Black Cat Games Collectors edition game pack thing? (i.e. Alien Swarm: Infested, Nightblade, maybe ThieveryUT and Alien Swarm on a seperate disk w/ concept art? >.< , That is if the games come out same time...or if Nightblade comes out before Alien Swarm: Infested)

Whatever the case you got my support
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Registered
    May 2002

BlackCat

Hey;

In the view of BCG it makes more sense to go commercial in the long run because our work (which we try to ensure is professional and solid) is then not tied to another game to work, which artifically limits audience and lifespan.

There's also the not insignificant point that game development takes a lot of work and team members do have bills to pay, food to buy, etc.

This is not to say that NB will go commercial, we are just saying that the status is currently undecided but that if it were commercial, we would of course release a demo - we're not too interested in ripping people off.

In any case don't expect any release before ASI!
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Registered
    Jan 2003
    We're trying not to create a game where each round takes an hour. At least for the competative gametypes, anyway.

There's also the not insignificant point that game development takes a lot of work and team members do have bills to pay, food to buy, etc.
    Oh cmon.. how much could a case of Dr. Pepper and a box of Hot Pockets really cost?!
    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Registered
    Oct 2004
    Really, if you look at the Thievery maps, the fun and popular maps are not huge ( with DE as an exception maybe...Dunno, is it huge in your opinion? I think it's a little big ) and the ones no one ever votes for are the bigger type ( F.E. Mensch was really cool, but so huge I could never see it truly fit the multiplayer and sadly it's seldom voted )
    The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by immortius
    We're trying not to create a game where each round takes an hour. At least for the competative gametypes, anyway.
    hmmm But i love big maps, and when games takes a hour! Like in Operation Flashpoint, the middle tame of gameplay is 1-2 hours! And there is a big land with cities, sry, its another game-ganre, but i think it will be really coll to play in a big city, whith much locations, and not just 1. Some thief group go`s loot some rich houses, other group go`s loot other places. And in bigger maps can play more players, 15Thief`s vs 15 Gurds! Man that will be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe-
    Oh cmon.. how much could a case of Dr. Pepper and a box of Hot Pockets really cost?!
    What? Thats all you'll feed them? >.<
    Hows about this:
    Breakfast: 2 eggs (you decide what type >.<)
    5 bacon strips
    Glass of orange juice (or coffee or tea or milk w/ free refills!)
    1 or 2 buns
    4 sausages
    1 or 2 biscuts

Lunch: 1 Huge sub sandwich (anything you want on it, lol)
    and a cup of whatever...

Dinner: TWO (2) 12 lb steaks (w/ any sauce)
    some macaroni
    mashed potatos
    green beans
    wine (or whatever beverage you prefer)
    some biscuts & buns
    and other yummy food

See how much I care?

How about a certain commercial release of Nightblade? With full concept art? of course the game, and maybe some background history to the Nightblade? Maybe hold off intenet release for a month after this thing is released?

And of course the most wanted thing:
    A picture of Dalai!!!!! lol The man behind the mask, Mr. Mysterious, the invisible man! (I can almost bet someone will post a picture of an invisible man)

concerning Media Thread
    Hi;

This thread is for released media (screenshots, movies, interviews, concept art, etc.)

Hopefully this will work - stay tuned. Need to sort out a few glitches.
    (If I should have posted this in the Media Thread just edit my post and remove this)
    Does that mean that you will be posting all the media? Like the EvilAvatar interview also?

NightBlade Site little not really noticable note:
    If you click credits at the bottom the BG to the popup is still using the 1st NightBlade style layout (not sure if you wanted to keep it like that or forgot about it)
    Last edited by SpamSlayer; 8th Apr 2006 at 08:11 AM.

Hey;

In the view of BCG it makes more sense to go commercial in the long run because our work (which we try to ensure is professional and solid) is then not tied to another game to work, which artifically limits audience and lifespan.
    Does this mean you're planning a standalone version of NightBlade then? Something we'll be able to buy on the shelves and/or as a download?
    Last edited by Appollonius; 7th Jun 2006 at 07:34 AM.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Isn't there the problem that for a stand-alone version you need to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to use the game engine?

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ffejnosliw(Formely known as Jeff Wilson 3d Buzz crew)
    This kind of depends on what he means by standalone mod. You can absolutely make a mod which uses none of the game's content. It requires a lot of work, though. If you have a map and a mutator, you want to run, you can also make a shortcut to the game that will start that map and that mutator. What you cannot do is make a game/mod that runs without someone already having UT2004 installed on thier computer.
    Your order has been dispatched!

This is not to say that NB will go commercial, we are just saying that the status is currently undecided but that if it were commercial, we would of course release a demo - we're not too interested in ripping people off.
    Still undecided I'm sure that the standalone is undecided too >.<

Should make rushing fun I can see it now: "I beat <insert map name> in 30 minutes! GO ME!"

Registered
    Apr 2005
    That rules Penrhyn out
    Your order has been dispatched!

Registered
    Sep 2005
    Question:

Will i be Out 1 year from now, or before that? It should be 1 more year, 2 years means 5 years after 2004 was out
    My Profile Sux.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Sky is coming Out \0/
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Unreal Tournament 2007
    deserve victory

ah don't rush em, look how old TUT and UT99 are, they got plenty of time

Registered
    Mar 2004
    I've got too many questions, not the kind of frequent ones either, here's one of about a hundred... LoLoL

Back flip related question – hope I can explain this clearly…

I saw in the trailer someone doing a back flip, I think its only fair the first person view pan is in a synchronised rotating fashion with the body rotation so that performing that move only allows them to do what that movement restriction would allow, basically allowing you to shoot all 360 degrees at some point during the duration of that specific move, rather than in front (the whole time) blatantly knowing you head is else where and so should your arm/aim be.
    Why? Realism... *I know* but what about enemy’s behind you, and if they strafe (underneath you while you back flip) it’s a matter of panning the mouse < --- > given that opportunity window you have during the back flip that you can aim at them (I would asume a fast 360 camera role- which would restrict the time you have to aim of course), before over panning within the synchronisation and returning to a neutral stance, basically a back flip and the full rotation of ones view specified for that movement.
    Have you possibly tried this when developing NB? I’d personally love to see this game borrow from realism in aspects of physical manoeuvres, that is competitive & technical fighting, not holding the LM button for a harder hit being the only variance, Or jumping around for the sake of it in a fight.

That's if you can back flip with a crossbow in NB, in the trailer it was a thief with a sword.

Registered
    May 2002
    Hey;

The trailer is really old and deprecated, so I wouldn't take anything in it as gospel.

However, yeah, we're trying to make a good combat system that demands skill and not just random mouse bashing, without too much complexity.

Synching the view to a back-flipping player, though, presents problems in that it can be too disorientating for the player.
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Wow *fast* thanks oRGy, I see what your saying though... shame
    I’ll scan through the hundred I have typed and post one every now and again; the same questions being asked over and over must be boring you a bit.

Ohh real quick oRGy, sadly you didn’t continue this with more background teasers; but that post was over 2 years ago lawl, and as i understand it Night Blade had a concept change.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    In thievery take “Aquatone” for instance, there is quite a large amount of keys for that map, which when stolen could be passed around, my point is not everyone in the community uses bound keys to use their inventory of items for TUT.

What I’m asking is that very much like "Deus Ex", have you got a key ring (skeleton key) type idea implemented into Night Blade where one item (feature) in the load out acts as a skeleton key for every door you have obtained a specific key for, and how about another system where you can break the keys off and pass them about, perhaps deeper into the item inventory to sepearte cleanly(GUI Immortius? I would assume you would be the one to answer this) -Just so there is a faster speed flow, something neat for that aspect of the game because it could get quite messy in TuT regularly

Registered
    May 2002
    Yeah, keyring might be a good idea.

And sorry for not updating my journal!
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Registered
    Mar 2004
    There are three videos to download to help me explain to you where I’m coming from, Sadly after compressing the video file that contains flats I noticed only when the mouse was still could you see the stars clearly, also after -- or on "Nov 3rd" the three files wont be available to download anymore.

The video file that has “th-flatsretro” and “th-flatscamp” *flops wrist* has two other versions at the end, where I changed the skybox to show "Flats's" basic potential to be better than it is.

Main questions to you oRGy

Taking all the well known thief games and expansion and comparing them to Thievery, the ambience lighting differs with its effects on the creators work (mainly because of the engine, yet its a drastic concern given what your trying to create), lets say where you spawn in the Thief2 demo)

Or the first map in Thief2x
    , the way the lighting in general is on the “Dark engine” compared to say

th-flats, in Thievery,

Serious contrast you see, how is that type of ambience lighting making Night Blade look and feel, more realistic/dramatic and close to the “Dark engine” or typical brighter clean (digital bland) you know boring UT engine traits.

My point is really this

Thievery’s ambience lighting was a bit too bright both for its concept art and say its influence, (Not that the the influence link epitomizes thief)
    But clearly, in the thief series lighting was soft looking not sharp, it was muddy and felt gritty and real almost, thievery failed to carry the mood of the original LG blueprint and concepts, which personally upset me as I longed for solo playing as Garret still around that time and was a bit of a thief series snob when trying games similar, although Thievery offered something entirely different, & had something unique and open about its broad spectrum which I felt when I first installed and played it *It felt unbelievablely charming*, it begs the question what’s happening with Night–Blade oRGy...

A lot of people who are considering creating for NB, are going to be the older thief retaining memory type players that will want to create that type of immersive design tradition.

A summary of my questions after showing you what I’m trying to explain…

Will nb offer people the opportunity to create and capture the true tradition of thief’s emersive character with lighting, design, and stealthy game play?

Also will NB support this with game types lasting longer than just “15 minutes”!? which I read in one of your posts, and that truely upset me.

Is nb looking closer to the dark engine with how its using lighting, or the direction ut usually seems to push games?, although surprisingly Thief 3 did a good job considering it was on the ut engine.

Will that intricate solo designed feel of maps be welcome in NB no matter what the game offers…? So mappers can bring whatever they like and it should be broad enough to accommodate and allow for coherence with both game types and stealth & death match play styles? (bit like thievery)

I’m sure there are at least six points summary questions missing here, but I’m far too tired to comb my brain over it, its near 00:30, its a long post and I’m sorry for that oRGy and whoever else read it, thanks.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by industrialism View Post
    What I’m asking is that very much like "Deus Ex", have you got a key ring (skeleton key) type idea implemented into Night Blade where one item (feature) in the load out acts as a skeleton key for every door you have obtained a specific key for, and how about another system where you can break the keys off and pass them about, perhaps deeper into the item inventory to sepearte cleanly(GUI Immortius? I would assume you would be the one to answer this) -Just so there is a faster speed flow, something neat for that aspect of the game because it could get quite messy in TuT regularly
    I'll think about it, if it becomes an issue. Currently I've made it so that when you frob a door, if it is locked the correct key is automatically selected from your inventory. That just leaves the issue of finding the key if you want to drop it, but that is a more uncommon occurance. If a map ends up with a massive number of items I will consider it though.

Registered
    May 2002

BlackCat

Industrialism;

Just to address some of your points. The main one to make is that Nightblade is not Thievery, or Thief - it has a completely different aesthetic and setting.

This means that levels (maps) will not be like Thief, but something else. There are echoes of Thief, and of course you can rest assured that every map will have (hopefully) great lighting, design, gameplay and rich interactivity. Of course if fans want to make Thief-remake maps, that's fine - just not our job!

Secondly, Nightblade's focus is first on the multiplayer, and while we hope to include really cool singleplayer (and coop) modes later in development, multiplayer demands have fundamentally different requirements to soloing.

Foremost among these is that there's always something happening, and players aren't just wandering around waiting 20 minutes for some Thief to stop hiding in some inaccessible corner, as in Thievery.

Regarding the difference between lighting techniques in the different engines - UT (1999) comes the closest in terms of technical similarity to the Dark Engine. The lightmap solution is the same, with only minor differences in light attenuation and general contrast settings. Shadows also look smoother in UT because they were anti-aliased when generated, the Dark Engine did not do this (hence you see artifacts like "stepped" shadows in Thief).

I think it's a combination of contrast settings (changeable in UT2k4 but not 99) and softer shadows that give Thievery a "cleaner" look than Thief. Mapper placement of lights also matters, and importantly, the ambient light settings. In some maps we expressly copied the greenish tint of Thief, like in TH-SkeltonsHead, and I'm not sure if that's the case in Flats.
    Red Guard
    Thievery UT

Thread Information