Thread: Cannot host internet games :(

Registered
    May 2006

Unhappy Cannot host internet games :(

Could someone please help. I introduced some of my mates to Alien swarm and we want to host an online game but are just having no joy.We've followed the guide for opening server ports etc... and i have exhausted these forums n tried a few of the ideas suggested to people having the same problem like tweaking the ini file and setting the from behind nat jobbie all to no avail. The game shows up on the server list but has no ping, most of the time, suggesting it's a lan only game.Although my mate has managed to host a game on a couple of occasions showing a ping but we still can't join it. All we get is connecting message and the pic of the marine with the eggs.

Please please someone help, i'm sure it is just something simple we are doin wrong

Registered
    Apr 2005
    If you are looking to play privately you can always use Hamachi and create a VPM, im not going to explain to program as it only has, create/join/on off/block.

May only work on XP
    Last edited by Ki!ler-Mk1; 9th May 2006 at 06:57 AM.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    You don't need Hamachi to play a private game, just password the server.
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Need a server people can join first

Registered
    Jan 2005
    sounds like a port forwarding issue. Theres a bug with unreal which affects some routers, even if you have the right ports open people cant connect. Try getting someone else to host, or if your feeling dangerous, open all your ports
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    May 2006
    cheers killer much appreciated!

Now only problem i have is the 700 and odd ping which is making the game almost unplayable :/
    lol

Turn firewall and all background tasks off, especialy if you have Norton, its a real CPU hog sometimes ;\

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiSoldier28
    Turn firewall and all background tasks off, especialy if you have Norton, its a real CPU hog ;\
    Fixed that for you.

Which router do you have, jenxstar?

Did you open and/or forward the correct ports?
    These should be 7777 and 7778 (both UDP)

Registered
    Sep 2004
    Might also check that Windows Firewal isn't blocking UT2004.

I have mine set to off, unless im downloading or web browsing of course... My router FW never goes off, need a little protection now don't you

Registered
    May 2006
    it's a new router Omega. Just bought a linksys wireless-g but i'm not happy with it full stop. getting higher pings on my games than when i was using my D-link 504t. I'm gonna revert back to that n see how AS plays then me thinks.

Thanks for the help anyways : )

Registered
    Apr 2005
    If you go from wired to wireles pings will always increase by a few ms, but it shouldn't be a significant amount, only if it's more than that you should start to worry. Wired connections will always be more reliable, faster and more secure than wireless ones.

I have linksys in high regard when it comes to stability and configurability. Also there's little point in running a firewall when you're behind any device that can share your internet connection such as a router, because the method used to make multiple machines communicate through one external IP address automatically acts as firewall. It blocks all incoming connections simply because it has no way to tell which machine on the local network it is meant for.

In your case you have to not only open up the ports but also forward them, that is, you tell the router that incoming connections on ports 7777-7778 are meant to be relayed to the computer running the alienswarm server. This means that in the router's configuration page you'll have to enter two things, the port, and the internal ip address connections on that port should be forwarded to.

Or you can just invade a public server with your friends.
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by jenxstar
    it's a new router Omega. Just bought a linksys wireless-g but i'm not happy with it full stop. getting higher pings on my games than when i was using my D-link 504t. I'm gonna revert back to that n see how AS plays then me thinks.

Thanks for the help anyways : )
    Ok, well let us know how if that solves it.

Registered
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the help guys. We're up n running now.Using my old router tho getting twice the ping with the wireless.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Good to hear. Enjoy the game!

Thread Information