Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Alien Swarm 1.31 Patch

Registered
    May 2002

Alien Swarm 1.31 Patch

The Alien Swarm news page has been updated with a small patch to fix some exploits.

Is there a list of which bugs this fixes? I'm sure it fixes the ammohack.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Yes, it's included in the readme file.

You know... the file you're supposed to read?

Cool. Good Job. when i first saw the download size i thought it said 115 MB, lol glad to figure it was only 1.15
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

You forgot to add mention of Upsilon on the custom campaign mention part

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiSoldier28
    You forgot to add mention of Upsilon on the custom campaign mention part
    Upsilon is not a real campaign.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    yay win \0/
    I'm wondering now was the crouch thing another way to do the being surrounded by bugs thing
    ..it's safer here.

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I hope it means BiG_D can't do Salvage any more just by standing in a corner so the aliens bunch up and don't hurt him
    I think I can love you
    Let's facwe the future together

Registered
    Apr 2006

Questions:

"Marine's collision radius no longer increases when you crouch."
    Does this mean you fall down now?

Possibly, i think thats what was keeping you up.

And, no servers have the patch yet so i can't play untill they get their ass into gear and patch the servers...

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Felix
    "Marine's collision radius no longer increases when you crouch."
    Does this mean you fall down now?
    Fall down how?

Crouching would stop you from falling off ledges if you went to the edge... If you play a round of AO-Underneath with some pr0s you will see where it comes into play

Registered
    Jun 2004
    That's just a feature of UT, crouching has always stopped you from falling off
    I think I can love you

Registered
    Jul 2004
    carth is quite correct on that point
    also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Registered
    Jan 2003
    We only disabled the increased radius of the collision cylinder when crouching. The marine's height does not change. And I don't think this introduces the issue of marines falling off ledges. Why don't you give it a try and tell me?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I will

Registered
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    We only disabled the increased radius of the collision cylinder when crouching. The marine's height does not change. And I don't think this introduces the issue of marines falling off ledges. Why don't you give it a try and tell me?
    then whats the point of crouching other than shooting lower and decrease movment now?

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Moving underneath the electric rays in Salvage is one thing that springs to mind. I also crouch in tight vents to let other marines jump over me in order to change the order of which marine is first.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    And we can't forget rapid crouching and emoting is giggletastic!
    ..it's safer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
    then whats the point of crouching other than shooting lower and decrease movment now?
    there wasnt any other point of crouching apart from those in the first place? ..apart from the occasional haxing

Registered
    Apr 2005
    What, you mean we cant swap around in vents, that fucking lame.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    I think the point in UT was that you could crouch, then crawl to the edge and stand up to fall directly down as close to the wall as possible. Just a small detail.

Anyways... Seeing as how the radius thing sometimes allowed players to climb otherwise unclimbable obstacles and caused trouble especially in vents and other small spaces, we might be better off without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
    What, you mean we cant swap around in vents, that fucking lame.
    Radius doesn't change that. If you could jump over a crouching marine you'll still be able to.
    Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Registered
    Oct 2004
    1.31 Preliminary Testing Report:

Pestcontrol, Uarch and I just gave this patch a run and discovered a couple of new bugs in the process while in game to see if this fixed the problems as advertised. While I can sadly admit that it prevents me from Client <-> Server glitching through engineering (damn! ) I can happily say most of the problems appear good, but also seem to introduce some other unexpected and weird gameplay bugs in the process.

1 - Collision radius, while good, causes the camera to be extremely jerky when moving across large inclines that are on a greater than 45 degree angle. Not a pretty sight. Suggestion: Maybe fatten it up a tiny bit to kill this artifact.

2 - While I'm guessing this is either intentional for testing purposes, or not, disarm a marine and go into battle with nothing. Suprise, you have weapons, but probably not enough ammo to get past more than 2-3 dozen aliens (super-insane anyone?) Upon restart, taking the same inventory of nothing properly disarms you afterwards.

At the moment, due to lack of sleep, that's all I can remember. More to follow.
    The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Dread
    2 - While I'm guessing this is either intentional for testing purposes, or not, disarm a marine and go into battle with nothing. Suprise, you have weapons, but probably not enough ammo to get past more than 2-3 dozen aliens (super-insane anyone?) Upon restart, taking the same inventory of nothing properly disarms you afterwards.
    That's always happened.

NDA is now updated. But if your found something esle and you do another update (1.32?), could you fix the map listup problem that dont show more than 64 maps please? Maybe just change the value to 128? Caus i cant run all the map ppl want on my server. Thanks.

Edit: Ok! Its bad news time: Since the radius have change, you cant enter anymore the vents in Daylight (the one that your forced to crouch). The patch have been removed of my server until thats fixed.

The msg is clear: DONT UPDATE YOUR ASW TO v1.31!
    Last edited by NoData; 16th May 2006 at 08:16 PM.
    My AS2K4 map: Sulfure-SE
    And a fixed one: BehemothTournament-TE2

Registered
    Apr 2005
    I have the patch testing on THN #3 for anyone who wants to give it a whirl.
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Registered
    May 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by NoData
    Edit: Ok! Its bad news time: Since the radius have change, you cant enter anymore the vents in Daylight (the one that your forced to crouch).
    The radius change in 1.31 was done to prevent some movement exploits. The problem is this: in 1.3 and below, when a marine crouched, his collision radius got bigger. This often put the marine partially inside a solid object and the engine would attempt to push the marine back out again. Daylight appears to rely on this behaviour in order to push the marine up so he can step into the vents, which are some distance off the ground.

The way the engine behaves when a marine is suddenly inside a solid object is not reliable and differences between client and server are what led to the movement exploits.

So we have a choice:

a) Allow movement exploits.

or

b) Change the Daylight vents so the marine can enter them without the use of this movement bug. Simply putting the vents on level with the floor will achieve this.

Registered
    Jan 2003
    Furthermore... it might be a good idea to get rid of the requirement of crouching to enter those vents as a whole. It doesn't work like that in the official maps so it's only going to confuse users that aren't used to crouching to enter vent systems. Besides there is no clear indication that you need to crouch in order to get into the vents because you can't even see the hole you're supposed to go through.

Registered
    Apr 2005
    People naturally crouch when they try to get into something and it doesn't work initially, i don't think it's a very big issue that the vents require you to crouch. The reduced movement adds a challenge, i think it's fine the way it is.

Anyway, Daylight can be adjusted, but how many more issues like this are we going to find?
    [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
    Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Crouching in the Daylight vents was a feature, it limits your movement speed, and is meant to feel claustrophobic and more in danger from the aliens

The taking no weapons gives you the last weapons selected "problem" was discovered a long time ago when people tried to use AoEquipRestrictions in their maps, you could bypass it
    I think I can love you

Thread Information