Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 16th Jul 2004, 03:28 PM   #1
Biohazard

Tournament of Darkness v3

The Tournament of Darkness v3 is finally upon us! ToD is back by popular demand. The rules have been revamped in order to have a more smooth operation for both the admins and players. But don't worry, the fun and competition is still there! ToD v3 is going to be set for July 17 and 18 and will run throughout the day.

About Tournament of Darkness

Who can join?
-Anyone actually! The only requirement is that you can not be banned for a major offense (cheating/raging) on a server. ToD admins will make the call as to whether you can join.

Do I need a team?
-Yes, this version of the tournament will be teams of up to 5 people. You need a minimum of 2 players to play in a match, so be sure you have enough people to cover any times over the two days of the tourny.

Who can be on my team?
-Any player that meets the requirements to enter ToD can be on your team. Being in a guild or being guildless does not affect your team. The most important thing is to pick a team you like, work well with, and will have a good time playing with.

What will the layout of ToD be?
-ToD will be a standard elimination ladder. Teams compete to move on to the next round. The ladder continues until only one team remains.

How long will the tournament last?
-The tournament will be at set times throughout the weekend. Your team will be expected to have players ready to go at your assigned time. If the players are not present, the admin will declare a forfeit after 10 minutes.

How can my team keep contact with the admins as the tournament progresses?
-Tournament of Darkness now has its own IRC channel that can be found on StarChat at #ToD. Your team will need at least one member there to keep up with the latest news as the tournament is running. In addition to the IRC channel, a graphical ladder will keep the standings up-to-date.

What about voice communication programs?
-Voice comms will be allowed if BOTH teams verbally agree to it beforehand. The CTG TeamSpeak server will be available to those who wish to use voice but don't have the means to host a server.

Match Rules

-Server settings will be:
* Clever AI
* 3 max following AI
* AI do not stand still when flashed
* 850 starting loot for guards
* 600 starting loot for thieves
* 30 minute time limit + map time modifier
* Loot drop - 50%
* Supply chest active

-Both teams will enter a private server (which will be provided by the tournament). The admin will restart the map twice to completely reset the server. Then, one player from each team will attempt to join the game as a thief. The auto-balance will send one team member to the guard team and leave one member as the thief. The team thats member was randomly chosen by the server to thieve then gets the option to choose a map or let the other team choose the map. After a map has been selected by one team, the other team is given the option to thieve/guard the first round. Gameplay will commence until a team has won the first game. Then the teams will play the map over again after switching roles. The round is best of 3, so after the second game there could be a potential winner. If not, the two teams will switch roles again and play a third round to determine a winner.

-In the event of a server crash, the game will have to be restarted no matter the circumstances. If the server crash was caused by malicious intent, the admins can kick your team from the tourny.

-After the match is complete, the tournament admin will submit the results to myself so I can update the standings. You are then free to do as you wish until your next match is up.

What happens if I win?

In the past the ToD ladder victor would play the previous ToD's winner. This will not be the case in v3. The winner of the ladder will be declared the winner of ToD v3. One day we may have a ToD Winner's Ladder for teams that have won ToD. Time will tell about this.

How Do I Sign My Team Up?

Easy. Send a PM or email my way. Biohazard@ttlg.com

Be sure your team can be around for the days of the tourny, starting around 4 PM going until possibly 2 AM GMT on July 17 and 18. I'll need your team information by July 14 to prepare times and servers. Please include:

Your Desired Team Name
Team Members (No aliases during the tournament)
Your Timezone (Please express like GMT -6 or GMT+3)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
If there are any further questions, you can PM me or just ask them here. I'd be happy to clarify or state anything I might have missed.
Biohazard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Jul 2004, 07:39 PM   #2
Biohazard

Old 16th Jul 2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Biohazard

All matches will be taking place on the Crackaz Thievery Guild's server.

You can reach that server at this IP: thievery.chaosmatrix.net:6666
The server password is: todmatch

CTG will also be providing a channel on their Teamspeak server for all the participating teams. You can join the TS server at ts.thecrackaz.com with the pass todmatch.
Remember you can only use voice during the matches if both teams agree to it beforehand.

You can keep in contact with myself and other participants of the Tournament of Darkness in our own IRC channel. It can be found on the Starchat network at #ToD
This will be the easiest way to get ahold of me should a problem occur.

Other than that, be sure you have read the match rules at the beginning of this thread. Things are are going to be run slightly different than last time around, so be sure you know what's going to be going on!

Last edited by Biohazard; 17th Jul 2004 at 10:46 AM.
Old 16th Jul 2004, 08:08 PM   #4
Biohazard

Team Rosters

ShanKa Shadows
Grank
TheMach!ne
Gladius
Freaky Alien
Shug

The Valentines
LoUie
OoZe (Terryn)

AYL
Chalrif
Dragon
Cliff
Radamanthus
Zidane
Katra

The Black Flame
Fridae
Little Bear
Athelstone
Spider
Salsa
Seemann

Stainless Steal Rats
Aggamemnon
PhaeThorn
Biohazard
Dalai
BrokenArts

Last edited by Biohazard; 17th Jul 2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 16th Jul 2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Biohazard

Match Times

Bracket 1
Valentines vs AYL
16:00 GMT (11 AM EST)

Bracket 2
The Black Flame vs Stainless Steal Rats
17:30 GMT (12:30 PM EST)

Bracket 3
Winner of Bracket 2 vs ShanKa Shadows
19:00 GMT (2:00 PM EST)

Championship Game
Winner of Bracket 1 vs Winner of Bracket 3
20:30 GMT (3:30 PM EST)

Remember to be in the ToD server on time or your team will automatically forfeit the match.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 08:19 AM   #6
Master-Builder

When will the minimum team size be raised?... Teams with only 2 people are... small.
It's annoying to battle against them, when all other teams have to cut down their team size to match theirs.
Master-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Radamanthus

Originally Posted by Biohazard:
AYL (They won't have this many people in a match, but will switch out throughout the tournament.)
Chalrif
Dragon
Gabriel
Cliff
LoToR
Zidane
Radamanthus
Katra

Hey! does this mean i get to play on 2 computers at once?

sweet!
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 10:16 AM   #8
Biohazard

Hmmmm, I had no idea that you were the same person.

And next time around I will be considering raising the minimum number of players a team needs per match. We'll see how this tourny goes.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Biohazard

Server is now open.

Password is: todmatch
Old 17th Jul 2004, 10:42 AM   #10
Chalrif

So are Katra and Gabriel.

Quote:
And next time around I will be considering raising the minimum number of players a team needs per match.
Yes, please.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 11:25 AM   #11
Machine

Originally Posted by Master-Builder:
When will the minimum team size be raised?... Teams with only 2 people are... small.
It's annoying to battle against them, when all other teams have to cut down their team size to match theirs.
Agreed. 2 People just isn't enough, they should just allow the 2 to play but the other team can play with 3.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 11:39 AM   #12
Salvage

Originally Posted by Chalrif:
So are...
I thought that was still a secret.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 12:28 PM   #13
LaughingRat

What rock have YOU been living under?!

Originally Posted by Salvage:
I thought that was still a secret.
Apparently not any more.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 12:32 PM   #14
Radamanthus

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
Agreed. 2 People just isn't enough, they should just allow the 2 to play but the other team can play with 3.
Wish i'd known that when we played the Valentines just now.

Though come to think of it, that's is true. When Korman's played three times and the thieves always win....
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 12:46 PM   #15
Gabriel

That means we should have chosen to thief first rad.

We also should have bee3n quicker that third round, I spawned in the Attic of the rectory... Whats up with that?

That has never happened to me before.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 12:52 PM   #16
LoUie

well, you cant blame us for beeing a team of two. the rules for tod is "minumum for a team: 2" so we made a team of two.. so you cant blame us..
LoUie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 01:27 PM   #17
Biohazard

It's fine this time. Next time the rules may be altered however.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 01:38 PM   #18
Biohazard

Alright, the ladder has been updated. Refresh this page to see it, or visit
http://www.zibbelement.com/tod/todladder.jpg
Old 17th Jul 2004, 05:06 PM   #19
Biohazard

ShanKa Shadows wins the Tournament of Darkness v3!!!

There are several people that I must thank though, that helped make this possible. First of all and a huge thanks to Grank and the Crackaz team server. Without his server, webhosting, and admining this wouldn't have been possible. Second to Alexius for his graphical ladder. Lastly to Dalai and the rest of the dev team for creating such a great game and this community!

Match reports will be posted at a later time, with plenty of screenshots, so be sure to look for those!

Congrats again to ShanKa Shadows for their second ToD win, and I hope to see everyone again next time!
Old 17th Jul 2004, 05:09 PM   #20
fridae

Congrats Shanka!

I'm proud to have my word representing these guys! Congrats again to Shanka Shadows! Thanks to Bio for running the TOD again, and to everyone who participated I had fun, hope you did too!
fridae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 05:18 PM   #21
TafferBoy

Thank you very much!

Yes, that tournament was the absolute pinnacle of thievery entertainment. Very special thanks to those who made it possible in every shape and form.

And Shanka Fri
TafferBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 05:44 PM   #22
Grank

Here are some screenies from the TBF v SSR. TBR ended up winning.

TBR team was:
Fridae
Salsa
Athelstone

SSR team was:
Aggamemnon
PhaeThorn
Biohazard

I have more screen shots from this match but haven't converted them yet.
Grank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 06:26 PM   #23
Machine

Red face Great Time

Yep, great time, but I'm shattered! Good job Shug showed up when he did, not only did his crazed slaughter of the other team inspire us, his final pep talk... is something I shall never forget...

(SUPER DEEP DRUNK VOICE)

"Ok guys, your gonna just go in there and do it... fast... kill them"

And with those words... Man and Machine truely did come together...

Thanks to everyone who took part, well done to all Shanka, an unlikely alliance which was a pleasure to serve with. I didn't get any screenies because I was in every round.
Old 17th Jul 2004, 06:45 PM   #24
Hybrid

TBF thieving vs Shanka guarding, Round 2, Darkened Enlightenment.

The beginning goes well for TBF, with Fridae and Athelstone skillfully infiltrating the major loot locations, and getting out alive, while Salsa fruitlessly tries to bow-DM with an unexpectedly fluxing ping of 100-300, and then once making a charge, neglecting to buy crack arrows.

Eventually, all three gain a decent amount of loot, making 900, with some lives to spare, but Shanka is quick to guard and trap the exit. After KOing Shug a few times for kicks, a simultanious rush is made, resulting in Athelstone's death. Salsa salvages (???) most of the loot and the book, and gets back into the water, but some is missing.

Upon the simple recollection of unguarded loot, the team meets up again, and Salsa expresses the idea to hold a secret cult meeting around the corner. At first his teammates did not understand, so he repeated his intention to perform a bloody ritual of mass-suicide (that the spectators apparently predicted happening 15 minutes before Salsa thought of it). Fridae didn't really get it, but joined in anyway, so she and Salsa slit their own throats while Athelstone looked at them like they were idiots.

Athel picks up all the loot and hijacks a tank, breaking through Shanka's solid phalanx formation. It was an amazing (if hollow) victory, and too bad for TBF that Shanka found the secret Rocket Launcher in round 3.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 07:00 PM   #25
LoUie

well, gg's and congratz ShaNka Shadows! :>
wp
LoUie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 07:10 PM   #26
TafferBoy

Originally Posted by Salsa:
After KOing Shug a few times for kicks
Thats pretty good, seeing as Shug wasn't actually playing
Our team was TheMachine, Grank and Myself
Old 17th Jul 2004, 07:15 PM   #27
Hybrid

I wasn't talking about in-game. While we were waiting for an opportune moment, we physically went to Shug's place and beat him over the head with blunt objects.

Last edited by Hybrid; 17th Jul 2004 at 08:25 PM. Reason: typo
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Jul 2004, 07:33 PM   #28
TafferBoy

No wonder he was late then Salsa
Old 18th Jul 2004, 03:20 AM   #29
Shug

Well, certainly was an-action packed morning.

After skipping dinner, watching the Aus vs NZ rugby game, sinking 5 beers, 6 or 8 shots of bourbon and 3 smirnoff double blacks, I wandered around a local club trying to locate TUT's Convict (with a notable lack of sucess). I guess being drunk didn't help the cause - anyway, I was home in time for my girlfriend to pass out. Luckily a kebab and some pizza sustained me for the morning; dozing from about 3:30 to 5am I jumped on msn with some trepidation about whether or not I'd missed the first match. Sure enough, 20 minutes later Gladius signs on to tell me that he, Grank and Mach had won DE. Phew.

On Teamspeak I was basically rumbling because of my alcohol soaked throat, as Mach, Glads and the ToD admins will attest to.

Ooze had a phenomenal game in the first round on korman, bagging 4 kills in a solid defense of the rectory by him and Louie. Gladius managed to break the basement defense and pick the safe - no dice (or ruby). He had also nabbed the crypt ruby and about 450 loot.

Mach had various forays into the lower part of the rec and was shot dead about twice by Ooze's rather freakish aim. In the end, Gladius flashed Ooze, invis'd and picked the ruby safe - in dining. He was tragically cut down by Ooze's thunderous mace mere steps from freedom - in the kitchen. Mach's attempt to save the bacon resulted in an incredible double crack hit on Louie and Ooze, and a dual ruby snatch. Unfortunately, he was running out of time - maybe under a minute left - and he had no loot. I don't know if he was lacking broadheads or what, but the spectators were furiously whispering "KILL THEM!" (all AI were gone). I think they ended up cutting Mach down before the time ran out - he was furiously rushing around the rec and was allegedly heard mumbling 'fuck, fuck, fuck' to himself on teamspeak. Valentines win, some nice work surviving sporadic bowfire with no AI left, and good guarding on a typically tough assignment in the rectory.

Round two saw myself and Mach set up a crypt defense. Louie unluckily cratered off the ladder from the sewer, and was also pinned against the wall by an AI. Mach and Ooze (I think) had fun opening and closing the front entry on each other while Louie made another dart and killed me with broadheads (also the ghost had been owning my slightly drunken travelling). I respawned outside the church and ran head on into Ooze and Louie in the church - at least, I think that was how it happened, I can hardly remember now. I managed to kill both of them and then kill the last thief as he ran into the church again. Round goes to ShanKa.

I gave Mach and Glads the infamous pep talk before the last round - and it worked, I must say . Mach's bowfire was on target and a sword-bearing Gladius (I know, it scared me too) blitzed into a weakened Louie and Ooze, downing both to take the round and the match. By that time it was 7am in the morning, and me and Glads were both buggered.

gg!
Shug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jul 2004, 03:29 AM   #30
beast

Awesum!
Sounds so fun, I can't belive I missed it :'(