Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 5th Jun 2004, 10:46 AM   #1
Hidea

More tools carrying capacity per marine?

I think each marine should be able to carry at least 2 tools....

medpack and flashlight, or flashlight and handgun..... or whatever.. (welding and then hacking).
Hidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2004, 11:17 AM   #2
LionsPhil

I think part of the point is that each marine is only a subset of the required functionality needed to complete a mission. So you *can't* have a marine who's a Jack-Of-Most-Trades, but instead must work as a team.

Although, that said, I wouldn't half like to be able to have a torch/stronger sholder lamp as a 'free' tool (takes no slot). Too many dark corners...dark...so dark...
Old 5th Jun 2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Hidea

Yea, I agree... at least make the flashlight attached to the shoulder...

but again, 2 tools doesn't mean you can carry other classes' stuff.... as sarge, you can only carry... maybe medkit, and mines..
Old 5th Jun 2004, 01:50 PM   #4
Angel-of-sIX

Bah I say keep it as it is but make the flashlight light up significantly more and make the shoulder-light of every marine actually change something and light up a bit in front
Angel-of-sIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Metamorphosis

Yeh make the shoulder light as bright as the flashlight then make the flashlight shoot bout a quarter to a third of the way across the screen.
Metamorphosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2004, 08:46 PM   #6
[theDAN]

Giving everyone the flash for free is a great idea; just dump the autoaimage. The shoulder lamp is useless atm.
[theDAN] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jun 2004, 09:37 PM   #7
Angel-of-sIX

It is not "useless"...it looks sexy dont you think? RAWRRRR!

no but seriously...make the shoulder light like a cheap flashlight and make it so you can actually see with the flashlight...
no need to put autoaim to the flashlight...if the light provided by it is significant, wether you want it or not , you will aim better.
Old 6th Jun 2004, 03:50 AM   #8
Knight

just turn up your brightness and gamma and then there will be only 1 dark area left and thats right before you get to williams in the second mission
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2004, 05:37 AM   #9
The Pope

Originally Posted by Knight:
just turn up your brightness and gamma and then there will be only 1 dark area left and thats right before you get to williams in the second mission
Turning up the brightness weakens the atmosphere of the game. Also, weren't you the guy who was complaining about it becoming to easy? Using cheap tricks to make it easier then complaining that its easy seems a bit silly to me.
The Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2004, 05:54 AM   #10
Sohtaraz

Actually the shoulder light is for detecting your teammates so you dont actually shoot them with flamers/shottys/assaultrifles/miniguns.
Sohtaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2004, 07:09 AM   #11
etchasketch

shoulder light is purely for identifying the direction a marine is facing.
etchasketch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2004, 07:31 AM   #12
Knight

Originally Posted by The Pope:
Turning up the brightness weakens the atmosphere of the game. Also, weren't you the guy who was complaining about it becoming to easy? Using cheap tricks to make it easier then complaining that its easy seems a bit silly to me.
so you just like running around in dark levels where you see nothing and keep dying?
not everyone plays this game with his room completely darkened ...
and it aint a cheap trick, its a standard game possibility to adjust your brightness and gamma. if they devs would think it was a cheap trick they could fix the gamma and brightness bars to be a lot less adjustable
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2004, 07:47 AM   #13
Brent Rivienne

Considering monitors display different brightness it's not possible to restrict the gamma, of they wanted the whole map to be neon green with whited out aliens and no shadows they would have made it like that in the first place.
Old 6th Jun 2004, 10:16 AM   #14
LionsPhil

Originally Posted by Knight:
so you just like running around in dark levels where you see nothing and keep dying?
No, I like having a good flashlight. It's more atmospheric. :p

Besides, the whole point of the gamma system is to get a match between the designed brightness, and how it shows on your screen. Technically, you're supposed to feed in the monitor's gamma value into that slider, but it's part of the whole colour management system that no-one outside of professional graphic artists fully understands or makes use of (or is even fully implemented).
Old 6th Jun 2004, 02:18 PM   #15
Hidea

OK, back to topic.... anyway... I think flashlight shouldn't be an optional thing.. all marine must carry flashlight, but turning it on or off is an option.
Old 6th Jun 2004, 02:26 PM   #16
Carth

Maybe not everyone should have one, but I agree it shouldn't use up a slot, I would never take it. How about one marine type automatically having it, like the radars. Maybe the heavy weapons marines since they (should) lead. It puts some more emphasis on teamwork again.
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2004, 04:57 PM   #17
Angel-of-sIX

I'm just thinking...
I am a marine, I go in a dark place with aliens...what do I bring? A flashlight!
It should not be optional we should get a cheap one...
but we should be able to take a MEGA flashlight for extra that would be like flare in front of you or something...except no autoaim because then it would be overkill...
Old 6th Jun 2004, 05:05 PM   #18
Sohtaraz

Originally Posted by Angel-of-sIX:
I'm just thinking...
I am a marine, I go in a dark place with aliens...
Rifle and predator mask, or you could do it hardcore and take knife and nightvision with you. But i would just use Light Amplifyer or thermal, but if you dont know what to look for... Id go with my trusty motion sensor and pack of flares.

AVP didnt have a flashlight (flares only ) and it made the game awesome, the nice sound that the motion sensor makes along with very dark alleys made that game what it is, scary. AS tries to capture the spirit, and its doing it pritty great (Gamma is bad, and should be adjusted by the screen, not how you spot enemys (ruins game spirit)) adding the flashlight the game uses now, would be a bad idea since every one has difrent drivers, and the flashlight works difrently on difrent PC's if you havnt noticed yet. Im not Flaming, im just proving a point why the flashlight we have now shouldn't be inserted to every marine. Seriusly, my flashlight effect is "bad one"-class, and it dosnt help me at all if you dont count the autoaim so i prefer using flares (wich help the whole team).
Sohtaraz is offline   Reply With Quote