Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 6th Jun 2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Jimyd

Post Deciding to install again; need help as usual.

From instaling with like a 1.0(5+ years old) 6 CD set of UT2k4, what is the official order to get this mod installed and working with all the custom campaigns from this list: http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=7607

Sigma/Ortega/Phalanx/Telic/EFR/Upsilon/Rift/Corvus(well guess not Corvus;need download for all that apply)

With: Telic Stims Enabled and all extra weapons from the campaigns chooseable at the start.

Also it would be nice to know how to have all the game unlocks already unlocked(hardcore,carnage,etc. with the camera rotate options).

Yeah, until they fix the matchmaking in Alien Breed: Impact, I can't get my fix for this genre of games yet(already beat Shadowgrounds and Alien Shooter: Vengeance too many times).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Jimyd; 6th Jun 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Jimyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2010, 09:45 PM   #2
Jimyd

Smile

Oh yes, I'm running Vista on a Laptop that has native resolution 1280x800.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:04 AM   #3
Moses2k

As regards last one,

setres 1280x800

in console.
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 01:11 AM   #4
Dalai
Project Lead

Originally Posted by Jimyd: ( link to post ) 
Sigma/Ortega/Phalanx/Telic/EFR/Upsilon/Rift/Corvus(well guess not Corvus;need download for all that apply)
To be honest, last time I reinstalled Alien Swarm I couldn't get all these working.
Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 02:05 AM   #5
Fuzzy Bunny

Where'd Pestcon's community installer go?

First, patch UT2k4 up to version 3369 and play one quick round of DM in UT2k4. This generates some files that Swarm will use (I think).

Get Swarm version 1.3 and install it to the proper folders. You'll be able to tell it was installed correctly if Alien Swarm shows up in the Community menu in UT2k4. Patch Swarm up to 1.34 since you're using widescreen.

You can find all of the files you'll need at alienswarm.de if you click the downloads option on the left side. The UT2k4 patch is in the ut2004 section, Alien Swarm ver. 1.3 and the 1.34 patch are found in the as>basics section.

For campaigns, you can find most of them in the as>campaigns sections in .zip files. Telic and EFR come together in the Telic 1.1 package. You can find standalone maps in the as>maps section.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 05:17 AM   #6
lightfoot

The Sigma and Ortega campaigns are the originals, they come with a normal installment of Swarm.
Same goes for Upsilon (the first officially supported campaign built from fan-made maps).

The Telic/EFR camps are another 3rd party opus, a must-have. Brings a lot of upgrades, and is especially popular not only for the awesome mapping, but also for the telic mutator, introducing the "Telic Stims". Most servers run this, and you can of course use it in single mode too.

Corvus camp was never finished, its status alternates between 'dead' and 'pretending to be alive'
Rift is not a campaign. It is an experimental weapons pack. In some occasions it has shown to be bad for the balance to use it. Has a handful of bugs, too.

About the camera variation Unlocks, have a look in the Mutators section.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 05:21 AM   #7
Felix

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny: ( link to post ) 

You can find all of the files you'll need at alienswarm.de if you click the downloads option on the left side. The UT2k4 patch is in the ut2004 section, Alien Swarm ver. 1.3 and the 1.34 patch are found in the as>basics section.

For campaigns, you can find most of them in the as>campaigns sections in .zip files. Telic and EFR come together in the Telic 1.1 package. You can find standalone maps in the as>maps section.
Well done, is that a job application?

We work for free though
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 11:46 AM   #8
Jimyd

Thumbs up

Since I am a noob at mutator configing, what do I type into the userconfig for UT that auto-starts the mutators(so I do not have to fool with the console every single time I start AS).

Everything else is a big help.

Are u sure Upsilon is included now, why is the .ZIP file up on de. then?

I think I'll just join the online server that has the Rift weapons to see if I like them or not, and to see how much I crash ^_^.

Also what do I type in the Userconfig to bind (EDIT: Read Telic User Manual for Telic Stim binding ; silly me) and the Suicide command? =)

Another thing, send an invite to me for AlienSwarm.de STEAM community. =)

Last edited by Jimyd; 7th Jun 2010 at 12:02 PM.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:04 PM   #9
Stein

Make a .bat file using this.
This example will launch a Sigma Custom Campaign (with mutators active) on a dedicated server, running in -lanplay mode (remove it if you don't want it). It's also set to load the Options Mutator as well as the Friendly Fire Indicator. If you don't have those, just delete the lines as well, but I think you probably do.
Note that people from the web can still connect to a -lanplay server.
Code:
CD ..\
cd ..\System
ucc server AO-ReactorCore.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCustCampGameInfo?CustCampStr=cc_sigma.cc_sigma??SlotName=CustomCampaignGame?CampaignSlot=1?NewGame=No?mutator=AoOptionMut.MutAoOptions,AoMiniMuts.MutAoFFIndicator -lanplay -mod=AlienSwarm
To set your keybindings, do these:
Code:
set input key suicide
set input key stim
Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 04:32 PM   #10
Ki!ler-Mk1

The stim one is avaliable in the options.

And there is no non comic use for suicide.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 04:39 PM   #11
Moses2k

Originally Posted by Ki!ler-Mk1: ( link to post ) 
And there is no non comic use for suicide.
Oh, come on; this is surely not the case. r u trollin?
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Jimyd

Originally Posted by Stein: ( link to post ) 
Make a .bat file using this.
This example will launch a Sigma Custom Campaign (with mutators active) on a dedicated server, running in -lanplay mode (remove it if you don't want it). It's also set to load the Options Mutator as well as the Friendly Fire Indicator. If you don't have those, just delete the lines as well, but I think you probably do.
Note that people from the web can still connect to a -lanplay server.
Code:
CD ..\
cd ..\System
ucc server AO-ReactorCore.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCustCampGameInfo?CustCampStr=cc_sigma.cc_sigma??SlotName=CustomCampaignGame?CampaignSlot=1?NewGame=No?mutator=AoOptionMut.MutAoOptions,AoMiniMuts.MutAoFFIndicator -lanplay -mod=AlienSwarm
To set your keybindings, do these:
Code:
set input key suicide
set input key stim
So uh I tried figuring this out, but I became confused. I'm not using any of the mutators from .de(didn't install them).

Basically all I want to run is the EFR campaign mutator(it has Friendly Fire Telic Stims Auto-Enabled) for any given pre-defined campaign from the list(sigma/ortega/upsilon/phalanx/telic).

Also I want it to just be a singleplayer "server".

Also how do I go to make a .bat file on Vista(I know).

*EDIT*

You just save a text document as All Files and just name it abcd.bat.

Still need help to what I type for the EFR mutator though.

Like can I just copy+paste whatever I need to enable the EFR mutator into the console and be ready to go? Then you can just post that, that's no big deal.

Forgot that I need to ask for the bindings to drop Shenk/Hunter-Rifle Ammo(silly me I know).

Last edited by Jimyd; 7th Jun 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 08:07 PM   #13
Ki!ler-Mk1

Code:
DropFromAmmoBag 6, DropFromAmmoBag 7|DropFromAmmoBag 7
Six is hunter, seven is shenks.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 08:42 PM   #14
Fuzzy Bunny

Originally Posted by Jimyd: ( link to post ) 
Basically all I want to run is the EFR campaign mutator(it has Friendly Fire Telic Stims Auto-Enabled) for any given pre-defined campaign from the list(sigma/ortega/upsilon/phalanx/telic).
Code:
start ..\System\ut2004.exe AOL-TelicCampaignLobby.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCCLobbyGameInfo?CustCampStr=AoTelicCamp.AoCCTelicCampaign?CampaignSlot=11?NewGame=Yes?SlotName=Telic?CampaignType=Custom?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm
That should work for your .bat file. It'll start up a single player "server" with the EFR mutator enabled. You'll be in the Telic campaign lobby, but if you start a map, then open the mapvote menu with F1, you can pick any campaign or map you please and the EFR mutator should carry over. There's a cleaner way to do it, but I can't recall it at the moment.

Originally Posted by Felix: ( link to post ) 
Well done, is that a job application?

We work for free though
I once applied for a .de soiver admin position once I don't think I'm active enough to warrant such a thing anymore. What might be more useful an "installation guide" sticky at the top of the forum. I noticed the Telic website is gone, so it's a bit more of a chore to find and configure. .de has most of the documentation still, I see.
Old 8th Jun 2010, 12:32 AM   #15
Jimyd

Question

Code:
start ..\System\ut2004.exe AOL-TelicCampaignLobby.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCCLobbyGa meInfo?CustCampStr=AoTelicCamp.AoCCTelicCampaign?C ampaignSlot=11?NewGame=Yes?SlotName=Telic?Campaign Type=Custom?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm

OK so that loaded up the Telic campaign with the EFR equipment fine, but whenever I try to change to say like upsilon/phalanx/sigma/ortega it doesn't load the EFR or Telic stuff at all.

I'm using the menu where it shows votekick/changeleader/callmapvote; I'm pretty sure that is what you meant yes?

I tried selecting the other campaign directly and tried creating a custom list, didn't work.

I also tried to do this for example:

start ..\System\ut2004.exe AOL-UpsilonCampaignLobby.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCCLobby GameInfo?CustCampStr=AoUpsilonCamp.AoCCUpsilonCamp aign?CampaignSlot=11?NewGame=Yes?SlotName=Upsilon? CampaignType=Custom?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm

Obviouslly that did not work; I couldn't move around the map screen(my hacked attempt to make seperate .bat files for each campaign).

Thanks for the help so far, wish I knew this whole Mutator stuff better(hopefully this will be easier in AS:I).
Old 8th Jun 2010, 12:45 AM   #16
Jimyd

Smile

The easiest thing to do, would probably to post the code for each campaign's .bat(Sigma/Ortega/Phalanx/Upsilon/Telic/EFR) to load with the only the EFR Mutator in Single Player mode.

Then sticky that information for all eternity.

So you would have to close AS each time to load a new campaign, but at least you could play them all with EFR without any hiccups.
Old 8th Jun 2010, 06:02 AM   #17
lightfoot

Most of what you asked is already answered in the 'Mutators' sticky thread.

Ah well-
*produces spoon*

There is several possibilities of starting a certain mutator config. Either build a txt file called 'whatever.bat' with the following content:
Code:
start ..\System\ut2004.exe AO-Rescue.ut2?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm
which you can just double-click.
Once in the game, you vote what you want to play with the F1 menu, the mutator config will stay intact.
This should work, with the exception of 'plain' sigma and ortega campaigns. If you vote these as campaigns with F1, the telic mutator and stuff will be OFF, for the original experience.
(You can still have the extra stims there, too, but you will need to click "call vote to custom campaign", and then name each of the maps you want to play in your camp)

---

The other way would be to start your swarm game by whatever method, then type into console:
Code:
open AO-Rescue.ut2?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR
A command long like that would better be bound to a key of course. "set input U open AO-Rescue.ut2?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR" at console, to use the U key, for example.

-

As you see, it is the 'mutator=...' setting that is of importance, in both methods. It doesnt matter what map is called, and all the other switches do things you dont need to know.

-

If you think that all this is complicated, no not really. Unreal is very well-documented, modding it is NOT hard. Source engine is an early derivative, but adds a LOT to the complexity.

What I mean to say is: All this is complex business, sure, simply because the Engine is complex. You will need to be willing to dig yourself thru some docu, and try some things out. No one can spare you that time, if you want to make use of any not-so-obvious feature.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2010, 12:14 PM   #18
Jimyd

Ok neither of those code commands are working lightfoot, and I know they should be. (Creating .bat or just runnin EFR mutator from console or callvoting)

I dunno, maybe there is so missing files in the Telic zip or something, I'm going to have to check.

Am I required to run the MutAoOption mutators, or at least have them installed; it doesn't make sense why it is not working.

So okay, the mutator is not sticking for some reason, and not loading in either. I dunno if it could possibly be something to do with the latest widescreen patch.

Tried just loading the Telic(standalone) mutator as well; same results.

Update again:

Code:
start ..\System\ut2004.exe AOL-TelicCampaignLobby.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCCLobbyGameInfo?CustCampStr=AoTelicCamp.AoCCTelicCampaign?CampaignSlot=11?NewGame=Yes?SlotName=Telic?CampaignType=Custom?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm
So apprently it is now working, after "just trying" again by changing with callvote.

I have no idea why it is working now, I didn't change any files or copy+paste over. Makes no sense.

Last edited by Jimyd; 8th Jun 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 8th Jun 2010, 12:55 PM   #19
Jimyd

Red face

So here if is the order I installed everything:

UT2004 1.0 CD Diskcs
Latest UT2K4 Patch
AlienSwarm 1.3 Patch
Upsilon
Phalanx
Telic+EFR
AlienSwarm 1.34 Patch
Played 1 round of UT2K4 DM(wasn't neccessary though).
Played 1 default round of AlienSwarm, Single Map then started a Single Campaign map.
Loaded Game with code below; mutator didn't stay when changing maps:

Code:
I deleted both AlienSwarm+AlienSwarmUser Configuration Files; ran AlienSwarm Default Executable.

Tried just manual loading EFR mutator code Lightfoot posted. Didn't work.

Exited and re-copy+pasted the Telic+EFR .ZIP.

Started AlienSwarm Default Executable and manuall loaded EFR Code; not working. Exited, restarted AlienSwarm Default Executable and manually loaded just the Telic Mutator; still didn't work.

Exited game, then loaded Fuzzy Bunny's .bat EFR code; mutator is holding and working properly(loading from .bat;changing maps and whole campaigns and making custom campaigns).

I'm running Vista with all firewalls off.

I'm going to system restore to the point after I installed after installing everything without even loading the game up(fresh UT2K4/AS install).

Going to try and reproduce this.

My only theory, is that somehow the Telic Only Mutator was already loaded(activated) from the Default install of AS, and that I somehow turned it off.

Dalai, when you update to the 1.34 patch, all the New Campaign Slots Names(Sigma+Ortega) are filled with like Test1/Dalai/abcd/etc. and with and without Commanders in the Campaign Info. So I don't know if that could cause any problems, but it really doesn't make sense why that should screw anything up.

So okay I'm going to System Restore now and try and reproduce all this, maybe my Laptop is haunted or something and is messing with me(would at least be an understandable explanation).
Old 9th Jun 2010, 12:10 AM   #20
Fuzzy Bunny

LF's .bat and console options should work...
I think I've had problems when I used the open command from the main menu before though. One time I actually ended up playing UT2k4 DM in a Swarm map somehow. It might've had to do with the gametype not being specified. I know you can specify gametypes in UED, but I don't know how much the game takes that into account. Start up a single map, then try:
Code:
and vote for maps/camps. As LF pointed out, Sigma and Ortega would have to be custom camps to have the Telic/EFR.
Old 11th Jun 2010, 01:49 AM   #21
Jimyd

LOL I just got that bug the other day.

It was first person DM on a Swarm map.

Was pretty bad.
Old 12th Jun 2010, 02:42 AM   #22
Jimyd

Unhappy

So update:

Here is what doesn't work at all:

Code:
start ..\System\ut2004.exe AO-Rescue.ut2?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm

As a .bat file, EFR does not load whatsoever.

Sorta works:

Code:
start ..\System\ut2004.exe AOL-TelicCampaignLobby.ut2?Game=AoCustCamp.AoCCLobbyGa meInfo?CustCampStr=AoTelicCamp.AoCCTelicCampaign?C ampaignSlot=11?NewGame=Yes?SlotName=Telic?Campaign Type=Custom?Mutator=AoEFRCode.MutEFR -mod=AlienSwarm

Telic is loaded with EFR, but when I switch campaigns(Phalanx for example), or vote for a custom string of maps, the EFR mutator does not stay/stick/load.

Works temporarily only:

Manually start up game and use console with the line above.

EFR loads, but still does not stay/stick/load.

I've tried both SinglePlayer and Hosting a Local Server with the same results.

Is there something I need to enter into the AlienSwarm.ini Configuration File in order for the game to keep the settings when switching maps or something?

I don't understand why the game basically forgets that mutator was even entered in after switching to a new map/campaign(custom or pre-defined).

Yeah I know...

P.S. I did delete every single pre-saved/pre-started Campaigns from the SinglePlayer menu(there was a bunch of them named Dalai/Test1234/Etc.).

I have tried deleting both AlienSwarm Configuration Files and ran default AlienSwarm so the game would recreate them, to make sure that wasn't the problem.

Could I possibly be in a debug mode or something? Doesn't seem like that would make a difference even if I was.
Old 13th Jun 2010, 04:42 PM   #23
Jimyd

Question

So I figured out you have to put this in the AlienSwarm.ini Configuration file:

ServerPackages=AoTelic
ServerPackages=AoTelicBeta
ServerPackages=AoTelicGuns
ServerPackages=AoEFRCode

&

[AoEFRCode.MutEFR]
bAddTelicEquip=True
bAddTelicHelmets=True
bAddNoFFAward=True
bAddTelicStims=True
bAddTelicMelee=True
bAddTelicInfrared=True
bAddTelicSpawnWatchdog=False
bAddToTelicCampaign=True
bAllowTG=True

That made this .bat file work:

That will load the EFR mod correctly which allows me to switch maps and make Custom Campaigns with Telic Stims, Helmets, and the rest.

However, once I exit the game and try to continue from Last
Custom Campagin or Last Voted Campaign, the game only loads the Telic+EFR Weapons but not Telic Stims, Helmets, and the rest. It also resets the campaign to Ao-ReactorCore as well.

So my questions are:

1. What would the .bat file look like to only launch the Last Custom Campaign(with Telic+EFR Equipment, Telic Stims, Helmets, etc.)?

2. What would the .bat file look like to only launch the Last Voted Campaign(with Telic+EFR Equipment, Telic Stims, Helmets, etc.)??

3. Do I need to run the .bat in Lan Mode for the Telic Stims(etc.) to stay, and what does that .bat look like?

4. How do I stop the game from resetting the Campaigns to AO-Reactor core when loading the EFR Mutator? Thus negating any save progress.

5. For my own knowledge, what do these Mutate Commands specifically do:
bAddTelicInfrared=True
bAddTelicSpawnWatchdog=False
bAddToTelicCampaign=True
bAllowTG=True

Thanks again for helping.
Old 14th Jun 2010, 02:38 PM   #24
sofos

Some random answers/ideas/bump

-Packed with the Option Mutator comes a java application that can auto create bat files for single play and hosting a dedicated server, though syntax isn't tough to get used to. '-lanplay' is for lan game specifically.

-Creating a server from a bat using ucc server command is way better than doing so from inside the game.

-To see the log file, you have to bring down the console and type 'showlog'. You want to check it to see everything is ok, or if some packages are missing and a map/mutator can't load correctly etc. If you or anybody else doesn't come up with a solution, you could try to post the log here when the mutator doesn't load as it should.

-You don't have to disable your firewall to create or join a server game, though you have to open some ports if you want others to join your server.

-ServerPackages=.. have to be added when you want to start a server with mutators/other stuff from these packages.

About telic mutator, you can look inside telic mutator help file (telic_manual.htm) that should be in Alienswarm/Help folder. Watchdog are used for testing and should be left at false. Indeed those that you quoted aren't listed in the help file, but I never changed their default values and the mut always worked.

-I don't have an explanation as to why the bats provided by other posters don't work as they should. Maybe you don't have permission to write in ini files, or you have them open when you play and game can't read/write them correctly.

Quote:
4. How do I stop the game from resetting the Campaigns to AO-Reactor core when loading the EFR Mutator?
What do you mean? You want to continue the cc from inside the game by clicking the GUI or you want to do it from OS?
Old 14th Jun 2010, 10:59 PM   #25
Jimyd

Basically, the game loads up fine now from a .bat, or from using the console when the game is started.

The problem is when I quit the game to the main menu. The game won't auto-load Telic Stims/Helmets/Etc. from the Last Custom Campaign and Last Voted Campaign.

However, the weapons load fine into the equip menu.

Also, that campaign's save progress is lost; the campaign is being reset to AO-ReactorCore.

I don't think I could explain it simpler than that. =|

So basically, right now, I have to restart from the beginning of the campaign every single time due to campaign reset and to load all the "Telic Extras" for the campaign.
Old 19th Jul 2010, 09:25 AM   #26
Wolfbullet

So I decided to install this again with the intention of having a wee blast of it this afternoon and then DLing the new one when it's out.

I finally managed to get UT2004 running which was a trial by itself. Now when I run ASw though I get "Invalid CD Key" errors. It's a legal/valid key. It still works with vanilla UT2004 just not the mod. Anyone got any ideas?

I have the DVD version of the game. It was giving me CD Key errors until I renamed my UT2004.exe to UT2004x.exe because the DVD version is rubbish apparently.

Edit: Nevermind fixed it. Just removed every ini I could find and tried again and it started working.

Last edited by Wolfbullet; 19th Jul 2010 at 10:14 AM.
Wolfbullet is offline   Reply With Quote