Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Tech Help

Notices

Old 14th Apr 2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Pestcontrol

Resslots and GPF's

Two things..

First, i've noticed alienswarm crashes quite often, excusing itself with a GPF, SASniper has this too and it usually burbles something HUD related, which would explain why the server never crashes Are the devs aware of this? UT2004 itself is perfectly stable so i'm assuming it is somehow an alienswarm specific issue.

And second, the TheHavenNet community is one run on donations, i'm not calling on you to donate (but feel free, heh), but one thing we commonly reward donators with is reserved slots. There is AMXMod for this in Half-Life based games, but can anyone recommend a good one for UT2004?
Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)
Pestcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2005, 07:44 PM   #2
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Well, I've never had any issues with rampant GPFs, and I haven't heard anyone else complain about it either. Next time it crashes on you, grab alienswarm.log from the ut2k4/system directory and post it, that might help shed some light on the issue.

About reserved slots: I've never heard of any such mutators for UT2k4. A few questions about what exactly you're looking for: What happens if the server is full? Does it kick a player? Or does it simply stop the last slot from filling up?

Not sure how you would go about the first way (having someone kicked when a preferred player joins.) Keeping a slot open sounds plausable coding-wise, but I'm not sure if you want wasted slots like that.
Old 14th Apr 2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Carth

Angel's server used to have reserved slots. He used an admin mutator that allowed you to have a reserved slot (it basically kicked someone who was playing in favour of players with reserved slots). I think it was a bit buggy in Alien Swarm though.

I've never had a GPF either, but one thing that just happened is the flamer doesn't fire. It's happened to me before - a full clip, you press fire, and nothing happens. So I try to reload, change weapon, anything, it just doesn't respond.
Old 14th Apr 2005, 07:57 PM   #4
Baz

UAdminMod is what we used on our server for a while, i doubt this link is up to date, but it supports reserve slots, and an amusing slap feature. although personaly i dont thin reserve slots and as would work, maybe its cuz im a skin flint
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Carth

Originally Posted by Baz:
UAdminMod is what we used on our server for a while, i doubt this link is up to date, but it supports reserve slots, and an amusing slap feature. although personaly i dont thin reserve slots and as would work, maybe its cuz im a skin flint
Yes, that is what Angel had on the sIX server, I remember because he used the amusing slaps when people were being silly.

Anyway, that flamer not firing thing, my log was filled with 5MB of this:
Code:
Warning: AoTriggeredObjective AO-Ort5-Navigation.AoTriggeredObjective1 (Function AoPrototype.AoMissionObjective.RenderTechFailure:004B) Accessed None 'Manager'
Warning: AoTriggeredObjective AO-Ort5-Navigation.AoTriggeredObjective1 (Function AoPrototype.AoMissionObjective.RenderTechFailure:004B) Accessed None 'Manager'
Log: AoFlamethrower no timer running with clientstate 2
Log: AoFlamethrower no timer running with clientstate 2
Old 14th Apr 2005, 08:35 PM   #6
Pestcontrol

Hmm, kicking maybe fine for deathmatch or whatever but im not keen on it for alienswarm. Maybe i'll write one myself.

The blood creeps where it can't run as thay say in dutch and my fingers are itching a bit

What i had in mind was allowing someone to join in and spectate as 9th player, then at the end of the game it kicks someone.. If it's going to be alienswarm specific 'preferred leaders' might be another idea to implement.

What i can't figure out is who to kick.. Unlike in Half-Life the time you've been playing is reset every time the server loads a map, so it's useless as an indicator of who joined most recently. I can program around that, but that's really beyond the scope of a simple mutator/serveractor. Ideas anyone?
Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)
Old 14th Apr 2005, 08:43 PM   #7
Carth

There's no way to know if someone has been teamkilling or messing things up, it could also be an accident, or necessary if someone is infected and there is no medic. And most of the time everyone on the server will be playing just fine, and none of them should be kicked, whether they are an experienced player or a newbie.

It will probably just have to be random, in which case I guess it sucks to be the person who got kicked. I know it sucks because I used to get kicked by UAdminMod, even though I had a reserved slot. If someone else with a reserved slot joined, it would kick anyone. So then I would rejoin, and it would kick the person who joined when I got kicked, etc...

Good luck finding a fair way to do it
Old 14th Apr 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
Carth

You could make it a 6 player server, but if someone with a reserved name joins, they are allowed in, so there would be 7 players. That way no one is kicked.
Old 14th Apr 2005, 09:58 PM   #9
Pestcontrol

Hmm i've been wondering if 8 is too much or not. Thing is, there will be only 1 THN ASw server in the forseeable future unless Bill Gates decides to donate... I'm really not keen on that unless everyone agrees it's really not fun to play with so many people, and even then i'd rather weed out the teamkillers than reduce the player slots.

After some more consideration i think the best thing to do is have multiple rules: kick specators first (last joined if there are multiple) then kick the first one who died, if noone is available straightaway, kick the first one to die (although that may be prone to abuse, tk someone and he gets kicked as a bonus), and only if noone dies, kick a random non resslot player at the end of the game. When the server is full of people with resslots, simlply deny access the normal way

It seems silly UAdminMod can be so inconsiderate, if it's not programmed behaviour (unlikely) i really have no words for the people who made it. I did better back in the old Unreal 1 days

Right.. 4 AM already.. i spent waaaay too much time salvaging old unreal and ut2003 code to get together a portofolio (see other thread )............

Wish me luck.
Old 14th Apr 2005, 10:58 PM   #10
Carth

Good luck

All of that depends on if you know who died first etc. from within the code, I guess you could kick dead people if you don't know who died first. Is it possible to add someone as a spectator even though the server is full? Otherwise if it waits until the end of the game, you have to hit join again and again until the game finishes.
Old 15th Apr 2005, 01:23 AM   #11
reallybadplayer

8 players is fine, too bad its unplayable for me during the weekends due to lag. I miss the days of the good old 10 player server.

Last edited by reallybadplayer; 15th Apr 2005 at 02:15 AM.
reallybadplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2005, 03:07 AM   #12
fluffy

I can't even remember the last time ASw crashed on me. It's been really stable when I'm not hosting & playing on the same comp or running mutators. UED on the other hand seems to disslike just about anything it was made to do.

I think 6 player max is best, especially if there are new players around. It's just so hard trying to organize 8 player games when people don't know what to do. This can happen with experienced players aswell, if everyone wants to be the frontline rambo etc.

I just wished 6 player servers would allow a couple of spectators somehow(8-10 people total). It can be a lot of fun spectating certain games, but it's also a great place to meet and decide if you should split up on 2 servers. The 10 player server reallybadplayer mentioned made that possible. Would it be hard to make an option for max players + spectators in 1.3? One problem is that the marines should preferably be reserved for people who didn't join as spectators unless they decide to swap.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2005, 04:53 AM   #13
Bucchus

I can make AS crash quite easily. It tends to happen pretty much everytime I try it; If I'm in an online game and I decide to check the server browser at the same time, it usually crashes. If at first it won't happen, I need only to press the refresh a couple of times and tada! Error message and back to desktop. No idea if it's related to my computer, but those are about the only crashes I recall having.

One similar thing that has happened a few times is when I'm in an online game and just when we're about to restart or move to the next mission and if I just happen to be tweaking my settings (I think I was doing some input configs), I get a black screen. Other players see me on the server doing nothing, but I've got only a black screen. At best I could get the menu open, but then I think I had to quit that server and reconnect to fix this problem.

(should've probably posted these earlier, but they weren't really bothersome problems since they're easy to avoid)
Old 15th Apr 2005, 05:49 AM   #14
fluffy

Originally Posted by Bucchus:
I can make AS crash quite easily. It tends to happen pretty much everytime I try it; If I'm in an online game and I decide to check the server browser at the same time, it usually crashes. If at first it won't happen, I need only to press the refresh a couple of times and tada! Error message and back to desktop. No idea if it's related to my computer, but those are about the only crashes I recall having.
I regret opening my mouth about stability already. Many people seem to have this very problem, including me. Can anyone do this without getting a crash? It happens like 50% of the "refreshes" if not more. I've just learned to avoid using the server browser while connected to the extent that I don't think about it anymore. I know it has been mentioned before though.

Except for this one problem, I'd like to say my game is stable.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2005, 07:30 AM   #15
Phantaloz

I don't really know what to prefer...6 or 8 players? But I'd like 10 player servers .

I reeeeally don't like the kicking idea . Somehow it just seems unfair to me...

But the main thing in this thread: the crashing!

YOU CAN'T BELIVE HOW MANY TIMES MY ASw WOULD CRASH IN A DAY IF I'D PLAY ALL THE GAME WHOLE DAY...but my UT2k4 crashes the same ammount...maybe even more, so its just my comp

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy
Phantaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2005, 07:40 AM   #16
Bucchus

Phant, name one program on your compy that *doesn't* crash all the time

I'm sure that the most used line on #swarm.pickup is "Phantaloz has quit IRC (Ping timeout)"
Old 15th Apr 2005, 03:56 PM   #17
Carth

Yes, it's buggy, so never refresh the server browser when you are in a game. The only crashes I've had have been due to this, and when I realised and stopped doing it, I haven't had a crash since.
Old 15th Apr 2005, 04:48 PM   #18
Phantaloz

Phant, name one program on your compy that *doesn't* crash all the time
Uhh...Don't really know...even Doom and Hexen crash at times...Umm...Nope, nothing

Old 15th Apr 2005, 08:45 PM   #19
DasBo0t

my AS would crash if i went to look at server browser while in game.

the thing that fixed it was getting a good video card...like most you can get
DasBo0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2005, 02:06 AM   #20
longshot

I dont have any problem with switching to the server browser and back in game under Linux. But I do get occasional crashes.
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2005, 02:10 AM   #21
Fuzzy Bunny

It crashed today for me when I opened up the server browser midgame and hit refresh.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Apr 2005, 04:06 AM   #22
Phantaloz

It crashed for me yesterday about 17 times

Mostly in-game, something just happened that my computer didn't like

Old 18th Apr 2005, 08:10 PM   #23
Shredder

I'm sure that the most used line on #swarm.pickup is "Phantaloz has quit IRC (Ping timeout)"
Actually i think it would be "Crash(any character)was killed by MOSESOFDOOR(or any of MOSES' other names)"The ()s are not said in-game.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Apr 2005, 08:12 PM   #24
Shredder

I dont like the kicking idea either.I get replaced enough times in a campaign because of the campaign menu and slow loading.
Old 18th Apr 2005, 10:06 PM   #25
Moses2k

Not to mention the other reasons you might get "replaced."
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Apr 2005, 06:25 PM   #26
Shredder

What u talkin bout willis