Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 22nd Dec 2008, 07:44 PM   #1
Microwave Oven

How do you publish NB maps?

I've gotten the latest alpha working in the editor, using the -mod=..\NBGame\Config parameter. I can make maps, play them using the console command switchlevel, and everything works fine. However, if I use the in-editor publish button, I get an error saying my level was not found. If I manually run the cookmaps command using the command "UT3.exe CookPackages -mod=..\NBGame\Config -platform=PC -AlwaysRecookMaps -UpdateInisAuto TheLevelName" it finds the map but soon crashes after starting to process it. The log file says:
Code:
Critical: appError called:
Critical: Assertion failed: SrcFilename.StartsWith(RootDir) [File:.\Src\UnContentCookers.cpp] [Line: 2656]

Stack: 
Critical: Windows GetLastError: Only part of a ReadProcessMemory or WriteProcessMemory request was completed. (299)
Log: === Critical error: ===
Assertion failed: SrcFilename.StartsWith(RootDir) [File:.\Src\UnContentCookers.cpp] [Line: 2656]

Stack: 

RaiseException() Address = 0x7c812aeb (filename not found) 
CxxThrowException() Address = 0x78158e89 (filename not found) 
Address = 0xba0102   (filename not found) 
Address = 0xe8781b4c (filename not found)
Is there a workaround or am I just stuck with it just being an alpha bug?
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 06:20 AM   #2
immortius

I heartily recommend not cooking maps. If they're cooked they have to be re-cooked and re-released next time Nightblade updates, uncooked they will use the new versions of the script files. When zipped an uncooked map is smaller than a cooked map anyhow, so it doesn't affect distribution.

As for how you would actually cook maps, I think I know how to get it worked by it would involve moving some files into the UT3 install directory and be somewhat messy. I can go into detail if you are set upon doing so.
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Microwave Oven

So cooking a map isn't actually beneficial for Nightblade? I was under the impression that it was supposed to improve loading times as well as strip out the source files of whatever you imported into the map. If you don't need to do it for NB, I won't bother pursuing it.
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 02:00 PM   #4
]>CoD<[Chief

I rather got the impression that it's not worth your while cooking them at the moment, because of all these new alpha releases (when they appear ) which will mean you'll have to re-publish (build all and cook) the map each time NB releases an update.

I believe the easiest way to try to cook a map is to just open it in unreal ed and click the firey cook icon near the build all icon (been a while since i opened up ued, but i seem to remember it round about the build all button).

Chief
Old 23rd Dec 2008, 05:53 PM   #5
immortius

The issue with cooking a Nightblade map using the alpha is
a) the cooking process doesn't see stuff in the Published directory
b) cooking a map also attempts cooks the texture/model/etc packages it uses in the Unpublished directory, and the Nightblade ones are already cooked

What you would actually need to do is create a NbGame directory in the UT3 install directory and place all the Nightblade packages in there under a CookedPC directory, I think.

I'm not sure what performance benefit is offered from cooking for PC - except perhaps reducing the amount of memory needed to load the map, so perhaps improving load times and aiding people low on memory.

Last edited by immortius; 23rd Dec 2008 at 07:28 PM.
Old 25th Dec 2008, 07:32 PM   #6
Schleicher

File size is smaller due to some sort of uncluttering/compressing or whatever and the process merges the lightmaps (textures/meshes get their specific lighting/shadows "baked" to them or however that lingo went) into the file so that doesnt need to be recalculated each time or somesuch, so it gets a boost in loading/general speed.

Or so i remember. Could be magical computer fairies too

Thirding not recommending cooking alpha content maps. Youd wanna do that "when its done" (hoho) with an actual official NB release build (haha).
Old 26th Dec 2008, 08:14 AM   #7
]>CoD<[Chief

Quote:
Or so i remember. Could be magical computer fairies too
I'd say UEd is more known for Greminlins than fairies