Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm Forums > Alien Swarm Discussion

Old 14th Oct 2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Tape432

Is the game dead?

I am seriously asking...almost all servers are empty most of the time, and even if they weren't you can only play the same campaign so much.

Additionally, you never ever see a custom made campaign in server browser(btw how do you play custom campaigns offline, it automatically goes to official when you click offline practice).

This is really sad, this game is better than many AAA titles, and I played the total of 172 hours of it but even I can't play the same campaign again.

It just reached that point.

Is the game dead?
Old 14th Oct 2010, 02:23 PM   #2
JohnnyTheWolf

Hey Tape

I was playing Lana's Escape today; cool new custom campaign, btw. You may want to get some pals and try it some day. It's still beta, but it's complete and its author is working hard on reworking it and polishing it. There are also plenty of custom maps available at Swarm Armory. You ought to check them out as well.

To play custom campaigns offline, create a custom autoexec.cfg in cfg folder and add the following line:

asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1

Considering it's free and coming with a full-fledged SDK, the game's only dead if you want it to be.
JohnnyTheWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Oct 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Tape432

Like I said it is completely irrelevant that custom made campaigns exist if there are no people to play them, my wishing for this to be the case does not make it so.

Also it is pretty silly to expect from majority of gamers to scavenge the internet on their own outside of game to upgrade the game.

This only works marginally and it is a pretty flimsy concept.

If something is not automatic or inside the game easily accessible it always fails to attract.
Old 14th Oct 2010, 08:17 PM   #4
JohnnyTheWolf

This is not a big-budgeted mainstream game, but a barely-advertised free game. What do you expect? Original BCG devs must have their hands full right now, as they work for Valve on both Left 4 Dead and upcoming Portal 2. You can't expect them to support 24/7 a free game like they would do with, say, TF2.

And if by "no people", you mean "no random people", then you are correct: you won't find many players on the server browser just by merely dropping by. That's why there are community groups you can join and plan games together. There are also Steam friends, other forum friends and real-life pals, which you can easily get to play Alien Swarm with you.

Heck, you can even ask people here or on the Steam community forum to join you for a game.

Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 14th Oct 2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 15th Oct 2010, 07:39 PM   #5
Tape432

I still can't find people to play custom campaigns with...

How do I do that?

See what I mean, now imagine all those other gamers who don't even know that custom campaigns exist, it's all quite futile and frustrating.
Old 15th Oct 2010, 08:44 PM   #6
JohnnyTheWolf

How do you do that? Well, by asking people to play with you.

Seriously, if you're looking for players, I'm game. Just say when!
Old 17th Oct 2010, 02:33 AM   #7
Tape432

So, nothing happening at all, can't play a single custom campaign with other people.

It seems obvious that the only way for this game to move forward is to integrate top rated custom campaigns into official updates.
Otherwise it is completely dead.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 06:07 AM   #8
westy

Dead then. It was a good run.

Fallout Las Vegas is out next week, maybe you could play that?
Old 17th Oct 2010, 07:11 AM   #9
JohnnyTheWolf

Dude, either you're the loneliest person on the whole wide world, or you're the least resourceful.

I added you to my Steam's list, but I can't do anything else until you accept the invitation.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 04:27 PM   #10
Tape432

Originally Posted by Tape432: ( link to post ) 
It seems obvious that the only way for this game to move forward is to integrate top rated custom campaigns into official updates.
Steam then promptly makes all of them default part of the game...no this scavenging, foraging bullshit.
Old 17th Oct 2010, 04:58 PM   #11
DarkLord75

Quote:
Dead then. It was a good run.

Fallout Las Vegas is out next week, maybe you could play that?
You receive a free game, with a suite of mod tools to change it to your whims. What do you do?

A) Create new content and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
B) Politely thank for the present, claiming it is a good game, but you can't be arsed to expand it.
C) Whine about the lack of content on the Internet.

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering
DarkLord75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th Oct 2010, 05:46 PM   #12
westy

Originally Posted by DarkLord75: ( link to post ) 
You receive a free game, with a suite of mod tools to change it to your whims. What do you do?

A) Create new content and enjoy the fruits of your labor.
B) Politely thank for the present, claiming it is a good game, but you can't be arsed to expand it.
C) Whine about the lack of content on the Internet.
I'm playing chaotic evil, so I pick 'C' for the bad karma.
Old 19th Oct 2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Chainsaws

Shouldn't you have picked A but made BAD content? C would be....lawful evil?
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2010, 03:43 PM   #14
JohnnyTheWolf

Speaking of additional content, I'm surprised that no one here seems to have started an AS2K10-related project.
Old 19th Oct 2010, 03:45 PM   #15
westy

Damn, you're right. Guess I'll just stick to lawful good :/
Old 20th Oct 2010, 10:11 AM   #16
Schleicher

Originally Posted by JohnnyTheWolf: ( link to post ) 
AS2K10-related project.
*Points to sig*

It only received minor attention ( the days when some tilegen dreck could get 300000 downloads are over ) but i guess it still counts
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th Oct 2010, 05:07 PM   #17
DarkLord75

Quote:
AS2K10
He's dead, Jim.

But I have to say, AS:I lasted less then I thought.

Old 22nd Oct 2010, 05:39 AM   #18
westy

He's dead, Jim.

But I have to say, AS:I lasted less then I thought.
Yeah it's odd.

I dunno, something about the lack of players and difficulty in AS2k4. You had to work together and accommodate for players of different skill or ... unorthodox approach (MK1). Otherwise you didn't get to play at all, since there were only a couple of servers. These days you get players who don't want or need to stick around when they can't get on with their teammates. The 'star' system got people to stick around as well.

I'm waiting for the Linux dedicated so Felix can host one with the skill/star system active.

Mind you, had a good Brutal game with kjk, LF and Felix last night. Just like old times.
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 10:24 AM   #19
Schleicher

Id say its a mix of lack of variety (Black Valve Games shoulda just stolen Sigma and Orta or however they were all called in return for a mention in the credits) and not forcing people to work together enough. However if you hold up ASw as an example how it should have been done, quick reminder, its just as dead.

Mebbe a combination of ASws "Cooperate or die faggots" (with the skillz system) gameplay and ASIs fancy graphix woulda worked better?
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Oct 2010, 10:43 AM   #20
JohnnyTheWolf

Well, random spawns on Onslaught usually do the trick. Plus some maps, such as Deima Surface Bridge, can be quite a bitch if everybody starts running around disorganized.
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 09:15 AM   #21
westy

There aren't any maps that require the co-operation of Daylight or Rescue yet. Or even the start of Cargo.

I think the game feels less social with only 4 players. Although I can understand from a balance point of view. It would be nice to have the option.
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 09:39 AM   #22
DarkLord75

I still think 8 players should have been an option. This whole 4 player streamlined coop l4d crap gives me a headache.

arghbrarghlerage

Old 23rd Oct 2010, 04:30 PM   #23
JohnnyTheWolf

Originally Posted by westy: ( link to post ) 
There aren't any maps that require the co-operation of Daylight or Rescue yet. Or even the start of Cargo.
That's true. That's why I'm disappointed. Newcomers usually have the excuse of not knowing about the original mod. I was expecting NoData or Donator to come up with something cool, but alas...

Quote:
I think the game feels less social with only 4 players. Although I can understand from a balance point of view. It would be nice to have the option.
I personally don't remember a 8-player match that went well. I think the 4-player limit is a wise choice, considering how cramped the levels are.
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 04:59 PM   #24
Fuzzy Bunny

l4d
I think that I would have liked new Swarm a lot more if it had been less like L4D.

You can set up a server to allow more than 4 people to play simultaneously, but last I heard (saw?) it was buggy and tended to crash. Johnny also makes a valid point about the size of the default maps, they seemed to have been designed with 4 players in mind. The hack in Deima, for example, only has 3 points of entrance that need to be defended against while the 4th guy hacks.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 05:09 PM   #25
westy

Originally Posted by JohnnyTheWolf: ( link to post ) 
I personally don't remember a 8-player match that went well. I think the 4-player limit is a wise choice, considering how cramped the levels are.
True, it might not of gone well, but it was always fun!

You had less problems playing with the people you wanted to with an 8 player cap. 5-6 was the critical mass most times.

I think it just needs some less linear maps from the community, with multiple objectives to make it work. Something like the medal collect objective of Beggars Point - possible with 2 marines, but quicker with 8.
Old 23rd Oct 2010, 07:37 PM   #26
JohnnyTheWolf

True, it might not of gone well, but it was always fun!
Not for me! Getting constantly offed in the first 30 seconds is no way for a rookie to get better...

Quote:
I think it just needs some less linear maps from the community, with multiple objectives to make it work. Something like the medal collect objective of Beggars Point - possible with 2 marines, but quicker with 8.
Yeah, but keep in mind that it didn't really happen until Telic and EFR, which were mostly fan initiatives, I believe. AFAIK, Sigma and Ortega were neither bigger nor more open than Jacob's Rest.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 03:33 AM   #27
westy

Meh, each to their own.

Also, I don't see your point here.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 05:20 AM   #28
DarkLord75

Either a game sparks up some serious interest immediately (think Fallout New Vegas and the 300 nudie mods that got ported day one) or it pretty much sits there with people desperate for more content.

Quote:
limit
Limits are all well and good, but if you want your playerbase happy, you give it options.

Old 24th Oct 2010, 11:45 AM   #29
JohnnyTheWolf

There are already enough insanely unbalanced dedicated servers out there (Revenge of the Swarm, BrutalCalibre). Pick your poison.
Old 24th Oct 2010, 03:43 PM   #30
DarkLord75

Quote:
There are already enough insanely unbalanced dedicated servers out there (Revenge of the Swarm, BrutalCalibre). Pick your poison.
 Quote:
insanely unbalanced
They could turn the game into a striptease simulation for all I care. Modding extends the base game, calling it "unbalanced" is missing the point.