Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 24th Mar 2004, 07:53 PM   #1
LoUie

Well, just a little stupid idea I came up with right now.. that you could have something called "balance walk" like having a THIN THIN pipe for example or something else you can walk on, and put them on the maps (from a roof top over to a next one example).. and when you step on it, this "balance" thing comes up, and you have to hold you balance and tro try not to fall down (thats quite a thief skill dont ya think?)

maybe like having a kinda "meter" that comes up with and arrow, and you should try holding the arrow in the middle or whatever with the mouse or walk buttons.. like a "mini game" you know. well you get my point..maybe having some kind of stuff like that..doesnt have to be balance.....
Old 24th Mar 2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Hannu

Originally Posted by LoUie:
Well, just a little stupid idea I came up with right now.. that you could have something called "balance walk" like having a THIN THIN pipe for example or something else you can walk on, and put them on the maps (from a roof top over to a next one example).. and when you step on it, this "balance" thing comes up, and you have to hold you balance and tro try not to fall down (thats quite a thief skill dont ya think?)

maybe like having a kinda "meter" that comes up with and arrow, and you should try holding the arrow in the middle or whatever with the mouse or walk buttons.. like a "mini game" you know. well you get my point..maybe having some kind of stuff like that..doesnt have to be balance.....
Like Tony hawk pro skater when you are riding a rail, dont know how well that will work in a time sensitive game like this with guards on your ass. But it does give me an idea based off the metal gear solid game where you are holding onto a ledge and your energy drains, maybe could be used on vine arrows or something.
Old 25th Mar 2004, 03:09 AM   #3
FixXxeR

Sounds like its a good idea in theory, but I'd imagine that would be hard to impliment into a level, but having a really thin pipe or wire could be done.
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
Old 25th Mar 2004, 08:41 AM   #4
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Just like in Prince of Persia Sands of Time...

But make it a little less forgiving.
Old 25th Mar 2004, 11:36 AM   #5
Buho

You mean, you're running from a guard on a rooftop, and then as soon as you hit a thin pipe, controls switch to a "mini game" where you balance yourself as you progress? As soon as you hit rooftop again controls switch back? I think that might work, but I'm skeptical. Controls switching on you suddenly would indeed require skill. I guess swinging your blackjack on the pipe would throw your center of ballance, too.
Old 25th Mar 2004, 10:07 PM   #6
Hybrid

As would getting hit in the side of the head with a crossbow bolt.
Old 25th Mar 2004, 10:10 PM   #7
BiG_D
Super Moderator

I was thinking about this, and I can see it working quite well, it just needs some more animations for the model, thats all.
Old 27th Mar 2004, 11:30 AM   #8
Radamanthus

nice idea!

but with the different 'modes' (stealth, combat, etc.) it should be easier to balance in stealth mode.

Get my point? I can't think of any better way to explain...
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Old 27th Mar 2004, 01:40 PM   #9
Skull

Well NB is more dm like and very fast actions and these mini-games will slow the game down.
Old 28th Mar 2004, 06:03 PM   #10
BiG_D
Super Moderator

I don't see it as a minigame really. Just a slight change of controls. Your strafe keys tip you either way as you walk across.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 10:39 AM   #11
Buho

Well, with that in mind, if you stay on the center of the pipe, you'll be just fine? Possibly make it so the further from the dead-center of the pipe you are, the more you are repulsed from the center, forcing you to compensate with strafe, and not allowing you to sit still (since the dead center is impossible to stand on).

This could be extended to include all edges, edges of rooves, walls, etc, anything with a dropoff. Pipes just have two edges close together.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 10:56 AM   #12
-=V12US=-

Well, as thought out as the idea is, I don't think it'll do everything but make the game more complex. Navigating thin pipes/rafters is allready 'hard' enough as it seems, especially if the pace in nightblade is going to be quicker.
Old 29th Mar 2004, 02:37 PM   #13
Curunir

Yeah, I can imagine thieves walking around with 10m pipes...

Shoot, forget walking across a roof, I'd slap a guard with it.
Old 13th Apr 2004, 07:56 AM   #14
Machine

Hmmm, I'd maybe just make the pipe "slippy" forcing the theif to either slip completely off (if he drops from a height onto it) or just slides to one side (if he runs on it) walking and crawling on the pipe should not effect direction.
Old 13th Apr 2004, 11:16 AM   #15
Buho

Sounds good. Is that something a mapper would do or a coder?
Old 13th Apr 2004, 05:51 PM   #16
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Well, probably both. It would definately need coding - I think you'd need special animations to make it look right, but the mappers would also have to make sure these areas are in their maps. Overall I'd say its more coding than mapping, but I suppose you could do something like Machine said with minimal coding, for one spot in one map.
Old 22nd Apr 2004, 05:29 AM   #17
Citizen Erased

The only thing about this idea is, what happens when Lag kicks in ? Also, can you stand still without having to alter your balance. That would be a possible remedy if there is lag all of a sudden, simply stop still.
Old 22nd Apr 2004, 07:28 AM   #18
DeepQantas
Tester

Hm. Autobalance when stopped? Sounds good.

That way if you're good, you can just run over it, but if you're kinda clumsy, you need to stop every now and then.
Old 3rd Aug 2004, 09:37 AM   #19
venus6001

Id hate to see it thru an entire level on every ledge etc... I think it should be something like in the roof sequence on thief2, whr u had that thin wire over the big drop... allit needs is one on each route... or, an alternative would be the longest route without one, so ur punished for avoiding it lol... but i think it should not be too complex... simple as it can be done, that way it'll be controllable in most lag situations... but still effective.

Venus