Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 22nd Feb 2003, 02:09 PM   #1
dude

Which games carry the same (or similar) concept that Thief/Thievery?
It needs not be exact. For example, it could be 2D but similar gameplay.
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 03:10 PM   #2
LeatherMan

There are a few games with similar gameplay, but only one that really hits on the immersion and stealth quite like Thief. There are no multiplayer games that are similar to Thievery.

System Shock 2: From Looking Glass Studios, no less. Uses the same "Dark Engine" as Thief does, and is extremely creepy. SS2 is based on a spaceship, but is still very stealthy. Many speak of Thief and SS2 on the same level. Highly recommended.

Honorable mentions:

Deus Ex: Very open to multiple gamestyles (kill 'em all/some/none, with or without stealth) and you don't have to complete all objectives. I had trouble becoming immersed in Deus Ex because the AI just aren't as intelligent as those in Thief and they have very robot-like movement. Still, there is plenty of challenge in the game.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Again, you can take the stealth route, but I was dissapointed at how often that failed, as you can be seen by AI that are hundreds of yards away, even in total darkness. RtCW also has undead and the ability to lean. Having AI follow you up ladders is creepy. The aspects of the game that really ruined it for me was: too linear, no "no kill" option, and those blasted bosses at the end of several levels. One mission is based entirely on stealth, and you have a silencer to use when taking out the enemy.
LeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 04:07 PM   #3
NeoPendragon

ARRRRG. I hate RtCW! Well maybe not the whole game. I liked the realistic parts with just soldiers, some-what liked the undead stuff, but I absolutly hated those sci-fi creature levels in that labrotory. I was playing on normal skill and ended up having to reload a dozen times after each monster. Its ridiculous. I thought it was mearly a so-so game. And there wasn't much stealth involved either. The first level had some and theres only 1 or 2 other levels where you're sneaky.

Splinter Cell looks like an awesome stealth game. Lots of high-tech gadgets to play with.
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 07:47 PM   #4
TheOutrider

The Metal Gear Solid (MGS1 being available for PSX and PC, MGS2 currently only for PS2 and the XBox - a PC conversion is rumored to be in the works, though) series is somewhat nice. Very stealthy, with a nice plot and some serious action. It's very dialogue-heavy, though, which can sometimes be a bit annoying.
Somewhat similar, too, but usually more kill-focused, are Tenchu and Tenchu 2, both of which are pure PSX games so far, though.
TheOutrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 07:50 PM   #5
derekew

RTCW is the best multiplayer game ever created, but it is just not meant for u to be stealthy!
derekew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 08:21 PM   #6
OHHDEAR

No One Lives Forever - An underdog, but definitely a classic. A FPS that parodies most 60s spy movies. The game highly encourages you to be stealthy (Generally walking slow, avoiding noisy surfaces, and staying out of the guard's/camera's point of view. No shadows.), which generally involves you KOing or capping the enemy with your silenced pistol. You are free to run in guns blazing, and you have to at some points, but most of the time you are rewarded for being stealthy with overhearing conversations among the guards (Often about topics from overtime pay to why they became villains to gossiping about Dieter's mistress being found out to beer and how people become criminals (Those two in the same conversation.)). This game is fun to play and funny. The stealth-stuff is quirky, yet forgiving. This is a game you will like.

Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Color is NOT the game for the Playstation. It is a very different, yet altogether better, throwback to the older 2D Metal Gears.
OHHDEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 09:33 PM   #7
dude

Metal Gear Solid... I played it far. I like to save way often (just like in the PC world). However, I saved with low energy and ammo in a spot where you would have to face an army next with no chance of getting healed... I had to leave it at that. I also have the Metal Gear Solid VR. As for it being like Thievery... hmmm... well it is a bit similar but not enough I think.

Saving in a spot where you are forced to restart the whole game if you want to finish is something that has happened other times. In Final Fantasy Tactics (which I found cool), I made that mistake twice near the end of the game, as there are 5 consecutive battle sequences with no way of returning to town. I did finish it though! BTW of FF's... FF9 rocks.

Anyone else have stories of games stumped because of "wrong saves"?
dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Feb 2003, 10:18 PM   #8
Kiech Bepho

The Spider-man game is kinda sneaky...some parts anyways. You even get a 'light-gem' of sorts. Pretty cool game all around.
Kiech Bepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 12:16 AM   #9
DhaThief

hummmm :
Worms : You can have a NINJA ROPE !!! (j/k)

Mafia : It's really a "gun" kinda game, but :
- In some level : "Visiting rich people" you can KO some guards down with a baseball bat (but you need a perfect hit from the back).
- Later in that level you break into a safe.
- You also get to lock pick alot of cars all over on the map.
- To win (even when using gun) you need to be very sneaky in dark places (but unlike thief youre never fully invisible, but hidding and not making sound is important part of the game).
- In alot of map you need to find a back entrance or steal something.
- Warning : You need to like car driving for this game !!!! (but a have a map, if you get lost). Also on level is a RACE !!! very hard at first....but DOable once you get the skillz (you need to win that race to move on ).
- only solo no multi
DhaThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 07:56 AM   #10
DeepQantas
Tester

D&D, anyone?
DeepQantas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 08:18 AM   #11
Bloody-Reaper

Splinter Cell?

Hitman 2?
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 08:21 AM   #12
Lurox

Originally Posted by DeepQantas:
D&D, anyone?
I always play thief on D&D, and you won't believe how sneaky I am in it. :twisted:
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 03:13 PM   #13
NeoPendragon

Yes, MGS2 is coming out on the PC. Not a rumor. Its a fact. :p Last time I checked www.gonegold.com, they said it was to be released on 02/19/03, so its release has probobly been pushed back.

Hitman 2 is a cool game. There's all kinds of clever ways to get a job done in each mission. And you can wear disguises, which is fun.

I got Splinter Cell yesterday, and WOW. The game rules! There's so many ways to move, you almost feel like Spider-man at times.
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 03:19 PM   #14
Stakhanov

arf.

I never made Hitman2 to work... couldn't crack it...

The Splinter Cell demo also doesn't work on my systems , renderer bug... :[
Stakhanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 03:54 PM   #15
LegalAssassin

Originally Posted by DhaThief:
Mafia : It's really a "gun" kinda game, but :
- In some level : "Visiting rich people" you can KO some guards down with a baseball bat (but you need a perfect hit from the back).
- Later in that level you break into a safe.
- You also get to lock pick alot of cars all over on the map.
- To win (even when using gun) you need to be very sneaky in dark places (but unlike thief youre never fully invisible, but hidding and not making sound is important part of the game).
- In alot of map you need to find a back entrance or steal something.
- Warning : You need to like car driving for this game !!!! (but a have a map, if you get lost). Also on level is a RACE !!! very hard at first....but DOable once you get the skillz (you need to win that race to move on ).
- only solo no multi
Great game, really. That's not a baseball bat, it's BFG BJ

I've come to the end of "Death of Art", but I'm feckin tired of how Sammy have about 200000000000000 HP... I managed to get close to him once, I ran up to him, put 2 sawed off shots in his guts and as I backed and was reloading he got up and perforated me with his Tommy.

It's ok with having a boss in a game, but they should not be superhuman in a game like this.

[/RANT]

Anyway, you forget one of the, maybe even THE best game ever: Deus Ex
LegalAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 04:06 PM   #16
Bloody-Reaper

Deus Ex 2... Time to knockout people with a tire... :twisted:

Or yeah... For mucho fun, try to throw a bottle at an enemy's head in Splinter Cell... For even more fun... Do it with a grenade!!
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 04:20 PM   #17
LeatherMan

Originally Posted by DhaThief:
 Originally Posted by LeatherMan:
Deus Ex: Very open to multiple gamestyles (kill 'em all/some/none, with or without stealth) and you don't have to complete all objectives. I had trouble becoming immersed in Deus Ex because the AI just aren't as intelligent as those in Thief and they have very robot-like movement. Still, there is plenty of challenge in the game.
LeatherMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 04:47 PM   #18
LegalAssassin

Yeah, I saw straight after, to lazy to edit
LegalAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 06:45 PM   #19
NeoPendragon

Originally Posted by Bloody-Reaper:
Deus Ex 2... Time to knockout people with a tire... :twisted:

Or yeah... For mucho fun, try to throw a bottle at an enemy's head in Splinter Cell... For even more fun... Do it with a grenade!!
lol! I'll have to try that sometime. :lol:
Old 23rd Feb 2003, 11:37 PM   #20
DhaThief

Originally Posted by LegalAssassin:
Great game, really. That's not a baseball bat, it's BFG BJ

I've come to the end of "Death of Art", but I'm feckin tired of how Sammy have about 200000000000000 HP... I managed to get close to him once, I ran up to him, put 2 sawed off shots in his guts and as I backed and was reloading he got up and perforated me with his Tommy.

It's ok with having a boss in a game, but they should not be superhuman in a game like this.

[/RANT]

Yep i'm at the end also :wink: but I did not fight with Sammy yet...I think I saw him once...but not sure (I tried a sneaky move on the guy, but got tommygundown by a damn hidding/crouching guard...).

And DEUS EX YAAAA why did I forget this one...one of the best game ever !
The Multi-player was good too!, but lacked some variation like "capture the flag" or maybe "hack the PC" would be more Deus Ex like.
DhaThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2003, 12:08 AM   #21
DarkProject

metal gear solid was freakin awsome. metal gear solid 2 was frekain amazing! it had such an imense story...yo really don't get to it until you're about 50% hours into the game...i mean wow....the end had like a 2 hour long cut scene...FUCKING GREAT GAME!
-=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip
DarkProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2003, 05:00 AM   #22
The_Judge

Originally Posted by Lurox:
 Originally Posted by DeepQantas:
D&D, anyone?
I always play thief on D&D, and you won't believe how sneaky I am in it. :twisted:
/me likes Lurox already :grin:
Old 24th Feb 2003, 05:11 AM   #23
impulse

D&D roxors!

Now I like playing assassin, the stealth of a thief but the weapon of a guard, concealed within a swarthy robe!

my much loved mud --> discworld.imaginary.com <--
impulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2003, 09:00 AM   #24
Beowulf

For all of you who thoroughly enjoyed DeusEx:
Try the HotelCarone mod ( http://www.carone1.de/HotelCarone/ )!
Another fun one is ANT-Agenda ( http://www.bigflash.homestead.com/ ).

We'll have much of a reason to be happy when RedSun2020 comes out
( http://www.planetdeusex.com/redsun/ ).
I'll have to upgrade my computer or buy a new one alltogether when DeusEx2
is out.
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Feb 2003, 09:28 AM   #25
Nex

Originally Posted by impulse:
my much loved mud --> discworld.imaginary.com <--
Woohoo! Discworld mud is the BEST!
Nex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Feb 2003, 01:47 PM   #26
Spleen

Anyone tried Spatial Fear for UT? It's a lot like System Shock 2, but nothing like thief really...Well worth a download.
Spleen is offline   Reply With Quote