Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 14th Sep 2005, 08:44 AM   #1
Rythmix
Banned

Thief Zombies in thievery!

Well not really, but kinda!

While looking for BDBMapvote, I came across a mutator that adds zombies to any map. So i figured I'd try it on tut and it wokred! (kinda). It works great on Theatre. I added about 80 zombies, in groups of 3 and they are everywhere.

Kinda adds a nice little extra obstacle to go around. The zombies see you in all shadows, and if they get you, they shake and drain you and you have to jump and whack to get away. Its actually kind of fun, and prevents campers because even tho they are really slow, they are persistent. Its just funny to watch. They don't directly attack AI, but if they get in the AI's way the AI will take them down. Not sure if they attack guards, but im pretty sure they would.

Try it out now on my server, but I warn you they crash some maps (like aquatone, probably because of trying to spawn them in the vents) and some others. But my server auto-resests to Theatre so its always ready to try.

Just a little change of pace i suppose, I wont leave it on there long tho.
Rythmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2005, 10:45 AM   #2
sky-fiwa-

Lol... zombies in TuT. the problem is the thieves would have to run to much and they'll die really easily. like in bouragis they'll spawn were the thives spawn and will get slaughter
sky-fiwa- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2005, 03:53 PM   #3
Mordengaard

Th-SoulsHarbour for teh zombie win!

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
:: Howard Scott
Mordengaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2005, 05:11 PM   #4
BrokenArts
Administrator

That is actually a cool idea! Spice up thievery with different, and more mutators. HA!

BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Sep 2005, 11:41 PM   #5
Fuzzy Bunny

I tried playing on your server today, but it kept crashing
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2005, 06:33 AM   #6
TafferBoy

yeh same it crashed on me, but was interesting while it lasted, they did tend to block doors and stuff which could get annoying.
TafferBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Sep 2005, 07:07 AM   #7
Rythmix
Banned

just gotta wait them out if they block doors, attract them away. tactics man tactics lol. But yea, it does crash a lot. Theatre is the most stable I think with that mutator.
Old 16th Sep 2005, 12:57 PM   #8
Scrawprin

Rythmix,

Which server is yours? If it is still up and running, I hope to get the opportunity to try it soon, too.
Old 16th Sep 2005, 01:12 PM   #9
Bandit

Rythmix's Thievery UT Server
Old 16th Sep 2005, 02:40 PM   #10
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by Bandit:
Yep, I think its named RythmNation.net Thievery atm, but thats the one. Im trying to see if I can figure out a way to make it work better with Thievery, but its not so easy to extract u files in UT99, no wotgreal equivalent in ut99. I've been using utpt but its not as good at exporting everything at once.
Old 16th Sep 2005, 04:19 PM   #11
Convict

The main problem is they attack guards and I hit them a few times without them dying.
Convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Sep 2005, 04:49 PM   #12
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by Convict:
The main problem is they attack guards and I hit them a few times without them dying.
Thats not really a problem, they are equally enemies, like spiders. they are supposed to attack all. It takes about 6 mace hits to kill them, so they are tough lil baddies. Thieves need quite a bit to kill them off tho, but perhaps in my code searching i will lessen the damage or make it configurable. That is if its even worth it.
Old 17th Sep 2005, 05:57 AM   #13
Convict

The problem is that your server rocks for me - the only american server and it gives me a ping of about 295 compared to the next best which is brody's at about 450 ping. Big difference in gameplay. Noone wanted to play on your zombie server yesterday unfortunately so I was playing euros who all had <100 ping while I had 450 ping. BUT IT'S AN ADVANTAGE RITE?
Old 17th Sep 2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Thebos

Interesting concept, though

Anyway to connect their appearance to whenever a a player or NPC dies? Or a method to using TUT meshes with modified skins?

COnvict what to you mean the "the only american server?"
Old 17th Sep 2005, 08:36 AM   #15
Rythmix
Banned

lol well i guess i can take off the mutator so you can get some normal games in Mutator off. But here is a link to it if anyone else wants to use it or modify it for TUT
I recommend: Zombie Count = 40-80, Groups together = 2-3, and Light affect = off. But play with it for your likings.
http://www.rythmnation.net/files/TWT_Zombies_beta1.zip
Old 17th Sep 2005, 01:30 PM   #16
Convict

For the last couple of days Rhythmix gives me a ping of just under 300 and the next best pinger is Brody (Germany) on about 430 (or just under that).
Old 17th Sep 2005, 02:03 PM   #17
necros

Australia gets a terrible ping everywhere... lol

----

But you will get a better ping to america, than europe, because your route goes over the pacific, to america, across america, then over the atlantic, rather than through asia.

So, say you have 300ms to america, then your minimum ping to Europe should be about 450ms.

300 to America, 50 to cross America, 100 to cross Atlantic, 5~50 for bouncing between European Countries till you get to destination. (the main hub in Europe is the RIPE network in the Netherlands)

Its a good Job that TUT is playable with 300~400ms Ping time, cause its not a big Twitch FPS. What really does you in in TUT is PaCkEtLoSs :O
Old 18th Sep 2005, 09:19 AM   #18
Beowulf

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60805

I think I still got the sound stuff, besides it's easy to make. I used sounds from a singleplayer Unreal map which made 'em say "BRAAAIIINSSSSSS!"
Beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2005, 03:29 PM   #19
Radamanthus

Ahahah! I played yesterday on your server, and got about 36,000 points as a guard on Mensch before calling it a night.

so funnay!
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote