Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Tech Help

Notices

Old 25th Jul 2004, 07:58 PM   #1
buzzard

Bot Pathfinding Problems

In singleplayer, I've noticed some problems with bots getting stuck in the ductwork on the Reactor level. When you order the bots to follow, they'll quite often get all bunched up and stuck. This is frustrating as you are trying to rush ahead to prevent the meltdown, only to be overrun by bugs because the rest of your marine are stuck back in the ducts!

Is this a known bug (no pun intended) with the bot pathfinding AI?
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Jul 2004, 08:33 PM   #2
Rehevkor

Hell, the bots in my map get stuck on open ground, with nothing near them. They just stand there, turning back and forth, and repeatedly ignoring my orders. Apparently the ISAF has low intelligence requirements
Old 25th Jul 2004, 09:23 PM   #3
[bulletproof]

how talented of a pathnoder are you rehevkor? did you add pathnodes at all?

bots get stuck in the vents simply because they are so tight. im not sure about the pathnodes, but they should be placed in every corner or junction of the vents, forming straight lines from one corner to the other.

but i dont mean to sound like an expert. Joel? why do the bots get hung up in small spaces so easily?
Old 25th Jul 2004, 09:28 PM   #4
BiG_D
Super Moderator

The bots don't pay attention to each other. They just try to follow the player. So if another AI is in their way, they just run into them...
BiG_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2004, 04:01 AM   #5
Rehevkor

I haven't added the pathnodes yet I was operating under the assumption that the bots didn't use them at all, since they just follow the player directly.

I always save pathing for last anyway, since it jacks up the build time so much.
Old 26th Jul 2004, 04:10 AM   #6
Taika

Well we all know that the Army has the intelligence and the Marines are the dumb ones who want to walk into bullets....

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet
Taika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2004, 04:21 AM   #7
modetwo
Webmaster

Originally Posted by Taika:
Well we all know that the Army has the intelligence and the Marines are the dumb ones who want to walk into bullets....
Not to go totally off-topic, but I'm in the Army myself... so, yes - you are right.
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2004, 08:55 AM   #8
Hybrid

Hmm, intelligence check on each of them.

- The stereotypical tough sergeant. ...Right. Moving on.
- He's, I quote, "A large and strong man," obviously favoring brawn over brains. "Look at me, I can carry a shotgun"
- Wildcat is cool. Do not diss Wildcat. She's out for revenge, has cool lines ("Meee-ow!" "They'll pay for this!"), and can use the coveted autogun. WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT?
- Along the same lines as Jaeger, Wolfe is quite obviously a brawn-over-brains kind of guy. Not only that, his backstory explicitly says that he's a frothing-at-the-mouth ex-con. How he's friends with Wildcat, and why she calls him "Old man" when he's only a few years older than her is beyond me.
- Soul of a medic, or ruthless killer? She's a psychopath with an assault rifle!
- Bastille invented his backstory just so people would feel sorry for him. I fail to understand how "competent medic" matches up exactly with Faith's "soul of a medic" though. Bastille obviously has some issues he needs to sort out (mainly the 'lying to his employers' thing), and is not going to be able to keep his mind on his job until he does.
- He's a 21-year old hacker. He doesn't even want to BE on these crazy suicide missions. "I didn't sign up for this."
- Flynn's eye is apparently marred by a giant, yet invisible scar. Of course we believe you Flynn. He wears the eyepatch because he's insecure, and wants attention. Or perhaps he costumed himself as a pirate one time, and used the wrong adhesive, so it was either rip off half his face or keep the patch on there. Either way:

So you see, them getting stuck is a feature, keeping true to their intelligence, personalities, and other reasons to do slightly brainless things on the job.

Apologies to the devs, artists, back-story makers, and anyone else. All the marines are....*looks around nervously*....special in their own way.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2004, 12:04 PM   #9
tank hunter

Location: I am not here. If anyone sees me, it is mission failed.
 Originally Posted by buzzard:
In singleplayer, I've noticed some problems with bots getting stuck in the ductwork on the Reactor level. When you order the bots to follow, they'll quite often get all bunched up and stuck. This is frustrating as you are trying to rush ahead to prevent the meltdown, only to be overrun by bugs because the rest of your marine are stuck back in the ducts!

Is this a known bug (no pun intended) with the bot pathfinding AI?

I don't have that prob after my first sp trial... ... may be you are a bit TOO RUSH. What you need is to have 30sec left when you are in the big room with many eggs and the triggers, stim it when you pop the vent and run to the triggers and press "E"...Which leaves you 1:30min for the vent, so slow down a bit...
tank hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Jul 2004, 01:55 PM   #10
Thebos

Originally Posted by Rehevkor:
I was operating under the assumption that the bots didn't use them at all, since they just follow the player directly.
My experience is more with UED2 and Thievery, but I would expect things to be simliar. Bots may be following the player, but they are using the path network to get to the player. I Thievery, I have noticed that sometime when you tell a guard to follow you, they immediately run away and then come back. Checked this a coupe of times- The point they run to is the nearest pathnode.

Relating to this, I believe the "verbose" command still exist in UED3. This is a setting in the pawn properties (forget where exactly at the moment- Check unreal wikki or similar). When set to true, the bots "thought process" will be displayed in game. Good for working through pathnode issues. If the bot is having trouble getting to a specific point, it will say as much.