Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Tech Help

Notices

Old 1st Aug 2004, 04:37 PM   #1
buzzard

Flashlight doesn't work on Rescue level

I searched the tech forum for 'flashlight' but didn't see any relevant topics.

On the Rescue level, there are a few doors that open into complete darkness. So, I replayed the level, taking a flashlight for one of the marines. But, the flashlight made zero difference when entering those rooms.

Is this a bug? Is there anything meaningful in those rooms? Even if there is no ammo or anything, I think the flashlight should illuminate the room.
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Aug 2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Carth

The flashlight is just a light grey texture, it doesn't illuminate anything.
Old 1st Aug 2004, 04:57 PM   #3
buzzard

Originally Posted by Carth:
The flashlight is just a light grey texture, it doesn't illuminate anything.
Hmm, so is it possible to light up those rooms on Rescue at all? Like with flares, instead of the flashlight? Or with fire from the flamer?
Old 1st Aug 2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Carth

Flares do it fine, people often take flares with them on Rescue. And fire lights up the room for a second.
Old 1st Aug 2004, 05:01 PM   #5
fluffy

Flashlights are mainly for the autoaim when combined with the normal rifle. It looks cool too, but doesent help much. Flares are better for illuminating and gives all pistols and rifles some autoaim in the team, in the flares range that is. Cranking up gamma helped me a lot, though one area in rescue is meant to be pitch black. Using stims or flares help a lot for that run...

EDIT: Ah, yes Sohtaraz... And I made the mistake twice in one post, I'd best be quiet from now on.
Thank you and thanks Carth for keepin an eye on me

Last edited by [nt]Leo; 2nd Aug 2004 at 03:52 AM.
fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2004, 03:05 AM   #6
Sohtaraz

Originally Posted by [nt]Leo:
Flares are better for illuminating and gives all pistols and rifles some autoaim in the team, in the stims range that is.
You noticed that you and Wolfe are quite the same?

Both high on stims (note the funny clone comic... We wantz more) and seeing this in new range of colours and lights...

Stims=Flares in your post?

Sir Typoalot...
Sohtaraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Aug 2004, 09:11 AM   #7
buzzard

Ah, OK... I see the problem now. I took flares with me this time instead of the flashlight on Rescue. In the area North of your first egg/parasite encounter, there is a room. At first, the doors open and bugs attack. Afterwards, if you try to go in, it is pitch black. With the flashlight, I still could not see. With the flares, I still could not see in the room, but with the brighter light, I could see more detail at the entrance to that room.

Apparently, there is a ceiling on that room, and you cannot see down through it, even though you can go into the room. So, the room isn't pitch black at all... the ceiling is black!

There doesn't seem to be anything useful in that room, so no great loss. But it still seems like the ceiling in that room should be transparent so that you can see your marines. It could be bad if I had run in there during the initial firefight with the bugs!

Is this a map bug on Rescue?
Old 2nd Aug 2004, 10:19 AM   #8
immortius

You may not of noticed, but many of the alien spawn points are similarily solid-roof areas, such as the vents they jump out of. This is so that (among other reasons) the player doesn't see them appear out of nowhere. But if the roof was transparent then there would have to be other areas for the aliens to spawn in with an opaque roof. And you could equally argue that roof should be transparent too. And so on. At some point a mapper has to decide where the player visible map should end. Is that a bad place for it to happen? I personally think it is fine. Any further back and you get this room just hanging off the rest of the map with no real purpose.
Old 2nd Aug 2004, 04:03 PM   #9
Einstein

immortius hath spoken boons
Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote