• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiLeNt_NiGhT
    • Jan 2003

Alarm Systems

Question:

Me gots this alarm system with Watchers and red flashy lights and nasty sounds all hooked up and workin', like, so good that I'm in tears as to how sweet it is... I can also turn it off with the flick of a switch...

But how do you get the red, flashy light to stop it's flashing?

I've tried setting the time-limiting property (forgot it's name) to a 10 second setting along with the sound - the sound quits like it's supposed to after about 10 seconds, but the light just keeps on flashin' right to the end of a game... (gotta stop using duracells)

Any idears? Or is that just the way it's supposed to work? I haven't played in a while, but isn't there a map that has an alarm system that stops after a set period of time? Does anyone know which one it is? Or is that alarm turned off by a player manually?
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...
  • Microwave Oven
    • Jan 2003

Well, just triggering it again (or untriggering depending on the light type) should turn it off. Use a dispacher for time delays.

Of couse, I'm making assumptions as to how you have the alarm system set up, more detail on what exactly is used to make it would help.

Comment

• SiLeNt_NiGhT
      • Jan 2003

I was following the directions by Mordengaard at the Thievery Public Wiki.
      I have the following:
      - TWatchers
      - TAlarmSystem
      - TAlarm
      - TAlarmTriggerLight
      - TSystemChanger

As I say, everything is working just peachy. It's just the flashing red light coming from the 'TAlarmTriggerLight' which won't stop flashing throughout the game once they have been triggered by a watcher spotting a thief.

There appear to be 4 settings in the TATL:
      -bDelayFullOn (set to false)
      -bInitiallyOn (set to false)
      -ChangeTime (set to 0.0)
      -RemainOnTime (set to 10.0)

The above RemainOnTime settings are what I thought would help but didn't. Nothing happens regardless of it set at 0.0 up to 60.0 - which is what I've tried. 'bInitiallyOn' just makes the redlights on at game start. Changetime is as ineffective as RemainOnTime. And I don't know what bDelayFullOn does cause I haven't tried it yet but it sounds like it wouldn't pertain to what I'm trying to do. I can't see it being any setting on any other actor as it is the light that is giving me the problem by not quitting after a certain period.
      Also, when I triggertoggle the 'switch' (activating the TSystemChanger), this doesn't stop the light from flashing, even though the watchers are shutdown effectively; the redlights continue to flash.

If you need anymore info let me know.

Thanks.

Comment

• Microwave Oven
        • Jan 2003

From a quick look at the actors in question, I belive setting the TAlarmTriggerLight->Object->Initialstate property to TriggerControl should fix the problem. I think.

Comment

• SiLeNt_NiGhT
          • Jan 2003

MO, did I ever fail to mention that your a genius? I don't know why that never occured to me. I've dealt with that control property before on other actors...

Thanks man, your a life saver.

Comment

• Mordengaard
            • May 2002

Glad someone is finding the wiki useful I've updated the entry on alarm systems to cover this issue.
            Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
            :: Howard Scott

Comment

• SiLeNt_NiGhT
              • Jan 2003

I'm finding it very useful Mord, I've been there more than once about a problem - don't think I'm quite good enough to post anything though.

Only thing I'd like to see is more postings of tips and strategies for tackling mapping problems. To be honest, the 'other unreal' wiki is very technical and doesn't often explain things to my satisfaction, imho. You have a knack for it though.

(just let's see some original stuff as well as the TUT website stuff)

Comment

Working...
              X