X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biohazard
    • Jan 2003

Every Beginning Has an End...

And sometimes that end comes much sooner than we would like. Yes, unfortunately I bring the news that many of you have seen coming now for quite some time. The Nightblade team has decided that we just don't have the manpower to complete the mod. Our latest recruiting drive brought in several excellent people, but ultimately it just wasn't going to be enough to deliver on the quality mod that you all expect and deserve from Black Cat Games.

I would like to specifically thank Inq and Illuminus for their hard work over these last few months. They have been cranking out models left and right for new maps, only to have most of their work not get used. I'd also like to thank all the new recruits for the time they did put into the mod, and I'm sorry we couldn't get things rolling here.

I will take full blame for this mod not coming together. I tried to get new recruits, but it turned out to be way more difficult than I anticipated. I can hardly blame them though, because in these economic times we all are focusing on our jobs more (including myself). It's also very difficult to get people excited about a mod that has already been designed.

While some of you will be frustrated by our decision, I would ask you to consider the team members that have been working on this mod for years. A lot of work has been put into this and it's a more than a bit upsetting to see it end before we could finish it. I haven't talked with the team about it, but I'd assume we will release the rest of the content we have created in its unfinished state.

Last, I'd like to thank the BCG community for always being so patient with us. It's nice to have a player base that is supportive even when things look so bleak. I'd also like to reassure you Alien Swarm'ers out there that our progress on Nightblade is in no way reflective of what the AS team has been doing. From what I understand, they are still chugging away at full speed.

Game over.

-Biohazard
  • Trapmaster
    • Dec 2007

Hell no this can't be true!

Is there nothing we can do about it, Bio?

NB shouldn't end like this!

You guys worked so hard on this, I don't care how long it takes! How is the resonance in the team? Where are the problems in the personal? Like which people are missing? (Mappers Coders Modellers etc.) So is there really NO way of saving the mod and the great work?

So sad ...

Regards,
    Trap
    [E.D.G] Trapmaster - Doomsayer
    Brush scaling by 0.5325662468842 and still going

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
      • Jul 2004

Farewell NightBlade, we hardly knew ye.
      So, the models etc that have been worked so hard on for the last 6 years, can we predict victorian/medieval era styled Alien Swarm maps from the NB devs?

The Taff Campaign. The Galaxy is full of races, some more advanced than others. A recent alien swarm outbreak of the Taff Home Planet (Luke'Nglas) has led to your team being deployed to help save the Taffers. The planet was stuck in a form of strange victorian and medieval fantasy styled world, things should be .... interesting out there.

How about some screenshots of the Work In Progress, that the team had been working on before this demise?

Chief
      Like which people are missing? (Mappers Coders Modellers etc.)
      My magic 8-ball predicts a coder.
      [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• BiG_D
        Former Forum Staff
        • Jan 2003

Too bad. No doubt an incredibly difficult decision. I hope everyone can appreciate that, and your ability to be up front and honest about it.
        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

• ]>CoD<[Chief
          • Jul 2004

I hardly think anyone here is going to set up a private lynch mod against Bio, I think that though he says he's taken responsibility of its closure, I'm sure the many aspects of resulting in his making the decision aren't his fault really.
          [E.D.G]Chief

Comment

• Illuminus
            • Jun 2004

It has been a fun working on the project and personally have learned much from it. It is sad to not see it resulting in anything . I would like to thank Immort and oRGy, you guys are great in what you do and really hope to see you returning to modding at some point. Also, thanks to Bio for trying try revive it (you did awesome man) and to Inq for sticking around to help with modelling some great stuff!

How about some screenshots of the Work In Progress, that the team had been working on before this demise?
            Sure, ill collect some of the work and post it in here. Ill encourge Inq to post some of his models as well.

And yea, the ship was sinking way before Bio tried to revive it. So i say "Pff" at him taking the blame

Comment

• Trapmaster
              • Dec 2007

Cmon is there nothing that can be done about it ? I already tried to apply Ive sent bio a pm one or two weeks ago. I can both code and map (and I am even willing to learn/specialize on UT3 mapping for NB!) and surely also some other stuff.

Perhaps even more people would apply if they know more about to what they are applying. And some solid conception info would surely be good for waking interest.

Please dont give up yet!

Comment

• Schleicher
                • Jun 2003

Eh you are to be commended for trying to get this running despite the obvious lack of manpower. Ambitious and maybe abit foolish since the decision what dies and what lives has been made long ago. But how does the ol book of lies say, "God gives, God takes".

Maybe you can put your models up somewhere for use by mappers or something. <<
                My leet Thievery Map
                My leet UT3 Map
                My leet AS Map

Comment

• Illuminus
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Schleicher View Post
                  Eh you are to be commended for trying to get this running despite the obvious lack of manpower. Ambitious and maybe abit foolish since the decision what dies and what lives has been made long ago. But how does the ol book of lies say, "God gives, God takes".

Maybe you can put your models up somewhere for use by mappers or something. <<
                  At least it can still be used. All the hours of coding Immort must have put into it

Comment

• Firetiger
                    • Jun 2003

Ahh well that's disappointing. Not just for us but surely for everyone involved. So, what happens to BCG then? Is it AS, period, or are there other projects in consideration?
                    <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

• Trapmaster
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Schleicher View Post
                      Eh you are to be commended for trying to get this running despite the obvious lack of manpower.
                      Sounds like a compliment uuh.

Well BCG is known for it's stealth games and AS games, so I think it should stick to it.

Atleast it would be good to know, what people are missing to bring on the development. And in order to atleast attract talented people you need to give out some info.

For example, you can't map for NB, simply because you don't know how the gameplay will work. And a mapper needs to know this so he can match his design/conception to the gametype.

Thus far the only thing we know is that it has victorian style, which isn't too helpful for getting an idea how maps should look like.

I'd say release some stuff / conception documents so people can first take a look at it. But at all, I think NB should still be under control of BCG. Atleast for a while to see if there are really no persons interested.
                      Last edited by Trapmaster; 7 May 2009, 02:56 PM.

Comment

• Illuminus
                        • Jun 2004

To clarify a few things... AS split the development team into a "not so official" and "official" group. The "not so official" group worked on Nightblade while the other started AS and then AS:I. The closure of the "not so official" group will hopefully clear this confusion and simplify future plans.

Comment

• Schleicher
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Trapmaster View Post
                          Sounds like a compliment uuh.
                          Wut? :p

PS : On top of the whole thing being fairly similar to TUT there were also regular alphas and there also is a NB recruitment forums section with the open positions in need listed.
                          My leet Thievery Map
                          My leet UT3 Map
                          My leet AS Map

Comment

• Trapmaster
                            • Dec 2007

Yes but it's not precise on how urgent the need is. Or how many people they have of each section (X mappers, Y coders, ...)

Haha, A "not so official Blackcatgames" Product
                            Last edited by Trapmaster; 7 May 2009, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• Bandit
                              • Nov 2003

Actually, it isn't bad news because now everyone may focus on Thievery.
                              Do not drop what you made and put it into TUT.

IMHO only incurable optimists were waiting for Night-Blade.
                              .:.S.e.r.v.e.r.B.r.o.w.s.e.r.:.

Comment

Working...
                              X