Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Forge of Shadows

Notices

Old 18th Dec 2007, 08:23 AM   #1
immortius

BlackCat Immortius Journal Entry - 19/12/2007

So UT3 is finally out! While we're deciding how we want to proceed as a team I have started to do some coding. Here is quick description of what I have done so far.

The first thing I did was complete a UT to UT3 map converter that I first started using Roboblitz. This converter can take UT maps, including Thievery maps, and convert their basic structure, texture placement, light placement and pathnodes into a new UT3 map. While it isn't perfect it gives us a good starting point and a ready supply of test maps. (Converted Map Screenshots)

Having completed the map converter I started working with UnrealScript proper. To get used to the UT3 workflow and ensure my environment was set up correctly I created a handful of simple mutators, such as a mutator to remove the multi-jump limit and a mutator that randomly spawns Slow Zones throughout a map.

Currently I am working on various basic gameplay mechanisms. I have added a couple of the the movement-related abilities such as leaning and mantling, although these do not tie into any animations at the moment. The basics of the frobbing/use system are also in place – both frob highlighting and door opening/closing are working.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:08 AM   #2
Antero90

Dunno if its allowed to reply, but here it goes.

Although the screenshots are a bit dark it looks like the convertion went very well (did the program convert textures as well?)

Anyway, how is the convertion handled? Is the scaling ok?

I can hear some authors thinking on how hard/easy it would be to convert their maps.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 10:13 AM   #3
-KewlAzMe-

How did you get the texturing to show up in UT3? Chief and i also have a map converting tool that we worked on, but it would of course only convert BSP.. Great news all the same... I too had been trying to work out a Mantle Mutator for UT3 as I think it would be beneficial in normal UT3 as I get annoyed when even double jump doesn't allow me to get over seemingly small obstacles.

I also created a Multijump mutator, only to find that some of the stuff that used to be replicated for us had changed quite a bit.. so after working with a few others we started understanding the info subclassing to get replication to work. Is this the new standard way of Replicating? to use an info extends?

Last edited by -KewlAzMe-; 18th Dec 2007 at 12:36 PM.
Old 18th Dec 2007, 05:50 PM   #4
immortius

Originally Posted by Antero90: ( link to post ) 
(did the program convert textures as well?)
The program didn't convert the textures themselves, that was done separately, but it had to convert a lot of texture placement/scaling/rotation information.

Quote:
Anyway, how is the convertion handled? Is the scaling ok?
UT pawns seem to be similar sized to Thievery pawns, but just in case the converter can be configured to rescale the entire map.

Originally Posted by -KewlAzMe-: ( link to post ) 
I also created a Multijump mutator, only to find that some of the stuff that used to be replicated for us had changed quite a bit.. so after working with a few others we started understanding the info subclassing to get replication to work. Is this the new standard way of Replicating? to use an info extends?
Hint: See ReplicationInfo and subclasses. Replication classes are as old as UT. They are especially useful in mutators because you need to try and avoid subclassing player and pawn.

On the other hand it is overkill for a multijump mutator. If you are only replicating the new max jumps and it is the same for each player you might as well do that in the mutator class.
Old 19th Dec 2007, 06:50 AM   #5
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by immortius: ( link to post ) 
Hint: See ReplicationInfo and subclasses. Replication classes are as old as UT. They are especially useful in mutators because you need to try and avoid subclassing player and pawn.

On the other hand it is overkill for a multijump mutator. If you are only replicating the new max jumps and it is the same for each player you might as well do that in the mutator class.
LOL i know replication is old.. but the way to implement it seems diff for UT2004 and UT3..

In UT2004 a simple multijump could be handled with a single modifyPlayer function. At some point the jump change was already being replicated for you natively in another part of the core code. Now it isn't so while trying to replicate from the mutator class, it didn't seem to be working right. So the only solution I have been seeing in other mutators is to subclass the Info class but I agree it does seem to be overkill. Just gotta find how to do it from within.