Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Mapping

Notices

Old 10th Jun 2005, 06:50 PM   #1
Howlrunner

new campaign(s)

So I announced about a year ago that i had started working on some maps. Life, the universe, and everything got in the way of my working on that but since it's behind me I'm going to start up again. I thought I'd let you in on a little bit of the story and some of the new things I'm working on implamenting.

I think it will come in the form of what I'm going to call "incidents" each with 3 maps. The stories will be related but the gameplay in each incident will have new elements which I think will be obvious from the background on each. I've yet to come up with a name for each.

The first "incident" involves a derelict ship which has coasted into a solar system in the midst of a colonial civil war, on the edge of charted space. The ship isn't human in origin and it most of it's systems appear to be active however it's obvious that it has been infested with the swarm. It is unsure if any of the ship's occupants survived the infestation and all attempts to communicate have failed. Space marines have been dispatched to breach the hull, enter the ship, and just generally figure out what the hell is going on. All attempts so far to breach the ship have failed. Every time a shuttle has approached the hull of the ship has reversed it's magnetic polarity and broken the magnetic lock on the breaching tubes. Because of this we're sending the marines out in full vacuum zero-g gear to explore the hull of the ship and find a way in.

The second incident involves infested debris from the above derelict ship falling onto the planet which is currently engaged in a colonial civil war. The debris falls into the half of the planet controled by the colony not affiliated with the marines and intelligence has determined that the colony set up a very efficient quarantine ahead of time and acquired swarm eggs which they plan to use as weapons in the ongoing war.

Infer what you will from the above descriptions about the gameplay elements I'm going to try to introduce. It's going to be at least half a year before i get this completed (i'm a perfectionist and I'm currently the only one working on this little project).
Howlrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2005, 06:58 PM   #2
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Sounds like you're hinting at some stuff that could be a challenge to pull off.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 10th Jun 2005, 07:06 PM   #3
DarkLord75

I think the only thing tough in there would be the zero gravity. Btw you dont need to be the only one doing it, theres a lot of good mapers in this forum just ask for help... ^^

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering
DarkLord75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2005, 07:08 PM   #4
BiG_D
Super Moderator

uhm... Zero gravity may be the only thing easy...
Old 10th Jun 2005, 07:49 PM   #5
Baz

i made a wonderful little 1 room test map with karma actors based around the idea of a ship with 0 g, when you hit a trigger gravity came back. twas fun. led to lots of "encrochment"
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Jun 2005, 09:07 PM   #6
Howlrunner

I'm not afraid to ask for help, just getting back into the hang of using the editor on a little shooting gallery map idea I had a while back before I ask. I've seen a lot of the work the people have done in these forums which is one reason why I chose this particular game to mod - quality people doing quality work .

I got the zero-g idea from the stimpacks originally, but didn't know how hard it would be. I was playing some UT2K4 the other day and it seemed to already be a built in option on the map I was playing.

I was also thinking of introducing some alien characters who help the marines and become part of the team using some of the skaarj character models. I might try and add some new alien equipment as well, not sure about that though.
Old 13th Jun 2005, 02:21 AM   #7
Howlrunner

Something I was thinking about for the second incident. Since there's a colony war going on there would be some fighting of what I guess I'm going to call "corporate marines". I'm thinking about having the marines storm a cliff type base in a "omaha beach" type of assault where they'd have to take cover behind objects amidst a warzone of chaos. Maybe throw in the stimpack effect right when they get off the dropship ala saving private ryan. My wife has been watching alot of war movies of late and I think it's rubbing off on me. At any rate I think I'm going to limit any new elements introduced to the first map of each incident (IE the zero-g movement and fighting on the hull of the alien ship and the fighting of other marines in an outdoor warzone type of atmosphere in the second incident). So...who wants to help?
Old 13th Jun 2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Shredder

Id love to help, unfortunately i dont have any mapping experience with swarm. Although i have made 2 maps for UT2k4, they arent very good anyway. I dont understand the scale at all for ASw. So id probobly end up slowing u down instead of helping.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2005, 11:02 AM   #9
Exo-Warrior

I suggest you have the Marines running across the top of the ship looking for a way in rather than floating alongside. A lot easier that way. Custom models wouldn't be possible for the marines, so the players would just have to pretend that they have space suits on...
Exo-Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2005, 02:00 PM   #10
Howlrunner

Shredder, I don't have much experience with the mapper either. I learn quickly so we can learn together if you'd like. It's the best way to learn anything actually.

Exo, That's what I was planning on doing. Having them run along the outside of the ship hull, just changing the gravity for the area so they move a little slower and jump a little higher. I know custom marine models aren't really possible but would it be possible to throw in some of the robot models. I was thinking of adding the robot models for selection on the roster screen but giving them each the name of one of the marines and having (zero-g gear) after the name so that if someone selected the marine without the zero-g gear they'd explode as soon as they started the mission.
Old 13th Jun 2005, 02:32 PM   #11
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Exo-Warrior:
Custom models wouldn't be possible for the marines
A) Why not?
B) The current model looks like it's wearing something you might wear in space, what's wrong with it?
Old 13th Jun 2005, 02:44 PM   #12
Carth

You don't even have to give them a completely new model, just adding a helmet would be enough.
Old 13th Jun 2005, 02:53 PM   #13
Phantaloz

Originally Posted by Howlrunner:
Shredder, I don't have much experience with the mapper either. I learn quickly so we can learn together if you'd like. It's the best way to learn anything actually.
Hmm...This offer is tempting...My skills are fairly limited right now and I feel like everything I try to do comes up very slow, usually failing too. Might be good to "share experience"

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy
Phantaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2005, 04:04 PM   #14
Carth

So long as AO-ER sees the light of day Phantaloz! We await it eagerly.
Old 13th Jun 2005, 06:35 PM   #15
Sniper 1

Helmets!? pfff, Carth. You ask the impossible!
Sniper 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2005, 06:59 PM   #16
Carth

Yeah, I suppose you're right. I doubt we'll see the marines wearing helmets.
Old 13th Jun 2005, 10:35 PM   #17
Shredder

Originally Posted by Phantaloz:
Hmm...This offer is tempting...My skills are fairly limited right now and I feel like everything I try to do comes up very slow, usually failing too. Might be good to "share experience"
Hows AO-ER goin.
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2005, 02:10 AM   #18
Phantaloz

Just learnt something new again, but I don't know if it'll truely work

We'll see...

Old 14th Jun 2005, 07:52 PM   #19
Howlrunner

I think I'm going to start this over the weekend. Anyone who wants to help may do so. I'm basically going to be fooling around with the editor and learning the ins and outs. Maybe I'll make a 1 map mission to start with which may or may not get stuck into the campaign. Heck, I've got nothing else to do. Graduated college last month and I've been doing nothing but turning in resumes so this will be a welcome break from all that.
Old 20th Jun 2005, 02:02 AM   #20
Howlrunner

I burned through a bunch of the training videos for UnrealEd that came with my version of UT2K4. I don't know if everyone got this version or not who is interested in mapping but I highly recomend the videos. I believe all of them are availabe over at www.3dbuzz.com but I am not certain about this. I know they were the guys who produced these videos and there are (apparently) over 60 hours of them on this dvd so there are quite a few. By the end of the first 6 or 7 of them I had my own level created and knew what most of the functions of the engine were. Now...to learn the rest of the tricks and apply them to the AS format. That will be the trick. Well, I will be working on it this coming week and at any time anyone is welcome to help. The more the merrier I say.
Old 20th Jun 2005, 04:50 AM   #21
Phantaloz

Triggering will be in a much more important place than in UT2k4. Also, ASw won't need such detail in textures as UT2k4 needs. Top-down view really changes alot

Old 20th Jun 2005, 08:35 AM   #22
DiP

Dont ask me to help...and Phantaloz do you still have my map because i rebuilt my computer and my map is...kinda....gone...and now i can actually be bothered to make the new vesion...
Old 20th Jun 2005, 10:50 AM   #23
Phantaloz

Yeah, I have it, I'll send it to your e-mail address

Old 20th Jun 2005, 10:57 AM   #24
DiP

Thanks.
Old 20th Jun 2005, 12:36 PM   #25
Howlrunner

Oooo, I'm sorry deathispainful. Let me just cross off specifically asking you for help from my list of things to do. While you're at it, please feel free to hijack my threads any time you see fit to ask people for stuff you want as well. Seriously though, next time when you're going to jump into someone's thread and tell them not to even ask you for help and then turn around and ask someone else for something with the same breath, try to be a bit more diplomatic about it.

Now...back on track and subject. The first map is coming along nicely. I doubt it will be in my campaign but it's a good first map none the less. I shall soon post pics and maybe even pass it out for a review so that I can see what I'm doing right and wrong.

Last edited by Howlrunner; 20th Jun 2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 20th Jun 2005, 02:14 PM   #26
DiP

Originally Posted by Howlrunner:
Oooo, I'm sorry deathispainful. Let me just cross off specifically asking you for help from my list of things to do. While you're at it, please feel free to hijack my threads any time you see fit to ask people for stuff you want as well. Seriously though, next time when you're going to jump into someone's thread and tell them not to even ask you for help and then turn around and ask someone else for something with the same breath, try to be a bit more diplomatic about it.

Now...back on track and subject. The first map is coming along nicely. I doubt it will be in my campaign but it's a good first map none the less. I shall soon post pics and maybe even pass it out for a review so that I can see what I'm doing right and wrong.
I always manage to stir up arguments dont i?

Sorry
Old 20th Jun 2005, 05:14 PM   #27
Howlrunner

I'm sure it's not always your intent. It's the way you put things. I can see how what you said, you probably said innocently enough, and yet I took it differently. Live and learn I suppose. At any rate all is forgiven as long as you think about how other people may react to what you say before you actually say it. I appologize for being so sarcastic myself. I tend to do that.
Old 21st Jun 2005, 12:32 AM   #28
DON'T PANIC

Originally Posted by Carth:
Yeah, I suppose you're right. I doubt we'll see the marines wearing helmets.

Howabout a beret? Could they were a beret?
“That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.
DON'T PANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st Jun 2005, 03:49 AM   #29
reemulmyu

i would have thought that the marines would be equipped with space gear as they mostly are expected to fight in inhospitable places ,like space and bad atmospheres
Old 21st Jun 2005, 11:28 AM   #30
Sniper 1

you're exactly right, reemulmyu. If... only... there was a way...
Sniper 1 is offline   Reply With Quote