Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Discussion

Notices

Old 5th May 2006, 09:02 PM   #1
DeadorK

Lightbulb if you could make your own gun for AS what would it be?

ive been wandering, not alot of the guns in AS seem very orginal so im asking- if u could make a gun for AS what would it be?
DeadorK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 09:12 PM   #2
Hybrid

Gravity gun, to pick up random objects and propel them at aliens and teammates at very high speeds.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 09:52 PM   #3
DeadorK

Originally Posted by Salsa:
Gravity gun, to pick up random objects and propel them at aliens and teammates at very high speeds.
thats already been done in HL2
Old 5th May 2006, 10:30 PM   #4
Hybrid

Man, well, that was the craziest gun I could think up. I think any and all "new" ideas are all taken then, and it's pointless to try.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 11:32 PM   #5
Isolocis

Prototype XP200 Organic Repair Unit

Nicknamed "The Med Gun", the ORU Prototype is a very expensive medical tool that Faith has purchased with almost all of her money. Created by the XP Industries, the ORU can siphon enhanced proteins and other medical chemicals through a homing laser beam to a wounded marine. The laser itself will intelligently home unto damaged tissue and release the contents into the wound. This will hasten the process of natural healing and allows Faith to heal her marines at a safe distance. Compared to the most commonly used medical satchel, the ORU heals a marine at a slower rate. Despite some of its flaws, the ORU is useful when used on the fly. Because Faith knows the ORU by heart, only she can use its complicated interface.

What? Even though it isn't a weapon, it is still a gun! This could be a chance to use the link gun's beam to "link" on players.

Some notes:
1. One canister is enough to completely heal only one marine.

2. It can be useful for Faith to heal her marines and stay in the middle of the group or out of the fray at the same time.

3. Like Bastille's revolver, there is no spare canisters in the map.

4. For a ranged "med kit", I think it is balanced enough that it heals at a slower rate and that it leaves her vulnerable while using it.

Last edited by Isolocis; 6th May 2006 at 03:23 AM.
Isolocis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 12:49 AM   #6
Carth

How about a gravity gun?

Edit - damn, Salsa got that already. Guess I'm out of ideas
Old 6th May 2006, 01:23 AM   #7
Nanj

A phallus-gun which impregnates the aliens, sending out a shower of bouncing, explosive, babies!!!
Nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 01:32 AM   #8
Grenztruppen

a hydro electric dam in space creating unit, oh, that would be so sweet.

i'll call it the phalanx gun
Old 6th May 2006, 01:53 AM   #9
DON'T PANIC

Take the mustard, but instead of the crazy belt fed bullets, it has fires belt fed rum filled darts. This weapon does very little damage, but it misdirects aliens that it hits, causing them to go in random directions.

Aliens that are hit by too many darts will rush to the nearest store to buy a pair of carf glasses. When they look in a mirror, they are so blinded by their awsome new look that they explode.
“That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.

Last edited by DON'T PANIC; 6th May 2006 at 02:26 AM.
DON'T PANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 02:02 AM   #10
DeadorK

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DON'T PANIC:
Take the mustard, but instead of the crazy belt fed bullets, it has fires belt fed rum filled darts. This weapon does very little damage, but it misdirects aliens that it hits, causing them to go in random directions.
now that sounds like a good gun though it needs more detail like the organic repair unit description
Old 6th May 2006, 03:02 AM   #11
Isolocis

edit: Check Page 2. Made changes to the Z59.

Last edited by Isolocis; 7th May 2006 at 01:42 PM.
Old 6th May 2006, 03:32 AM   #12
Carth

Aliens that are hit by too many darts will rush to the nearest store to buy a pair of carf glasses. When they look in a mirror, they are so blinded by their awsome new look that they explode.
Haha.
Old 6th May 2006, 04:03 AM   #13
Baz

If i could make my own gun for AS it would be the tk cann0r.
It would be like a normal assault shotgun, but when you fired it fires off 32 shots, with a 360 degree firing angle.
It also only usable by demo marines making it totaly unfair in dm.
Old 6th May 2006, 05:40 AM   #14
Bucchus

And if you accidentally hit a marine with it, he/she suffers from all sorts of visual blur and vertigo effects for at least the next 30 seconds.
Old 6th May 2006, 06:29 AM   #15
Phantaloz

The ultimate weapon of ending

This weapon, when fired, gains admin rights for a moment, first spamming "parasitepls" and when one marine is left, begins the "explodelevel"-secuence

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy
Phantaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 06:53 AM   #16
Pestcontrol

The accessed none Trebuchet, it hurls giant 400MB logfiles full with stingy accessed nones at queens. It's also extremely buggy as a feature, like the sentry kit.
Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)
Pestcontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 11:05 AM   #17
PsiSoldier28

The ban-gun

Primary fire - standard ban: kick/ban target player from server

secondry fire - t3h evilz ban: kick/ban target player from server while taunting them, and to finish it of... it deletes windows!
PsiSoldier28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 11:40 AM   #18
Ki!ler-Mk1

The Mega-Flamor, Instead of REYYELLOW flames they're LOTSOFDIFFERENTBLUES
Old 6th May 2006, 12:05 PM   #19
PsiSoldier28

and it does 360 degree fire ?
Old 6th May 2006, 12:09 PM   #20
WimpBastard

Dart gun!

Two different kind of darts:

-Tranquilisers! They stun individual aliens like a stun grenade, but if you hit a fellow marine the opposite of a stim occurs and the gamespeed is doubled!

-Hallocinogens! Hitting an alien stuns it like a stun grenade as the alien becomes confused. hitting a fellow marine results in black screen for a split second, when everything returns to normal all marines look like aliens and there are no name tags!
WimpBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 12:14 PM   #21
DON'T PANIC

Originally Posted by WimpBastard:
Dart gun!

Hitting an alien stuns it like a stun grenade as the alien becomes confused.
See my above post.
“That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.
DON'T PANIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 02:34 PM   #22
PsiSoldier28

Rocket launcher

For: Demo-Man

Modes: 3

Mode 1: this is the default mode for the rocketlauncher, it fires a standard HE (high explosive) shell that does medium damage over a larger area, T75 size area, but not as powerfull

Mode 2: this mode gets unlocked at Demo-level 3, it fires an AP (armour piercing) shell for the more concentrated power needed to crack open that behemoth chasing you, it has the same power of the T75 but with a very small blast radius

Mode 3: this mode is unlocked at Dmoe-level 5, you fire a AP TOW missile that you can change the path of while in flight by aiming at the target you want it to hit

Pros: lots of damage dealt swiftly by single gun
long range unlike grenade launcher

Cons: Hard to know when to use what mode
possibly very hard to controll the TOW missile
not much ammo, 20 at max
Old 6th May 2006, 06:10 PM   #23
Piroko

Some kind of energy field emitter, similar to the Paladin secondary shield in vanilla UT. Projects a shield wide enough to block a corridor but has the following drawbacks; Shield can be overloaded if it takes enough damage, causing harm to the operator due to electrical feedback; Shield can also overload if used for extended periods of time (10 seconds max?); shield cannot be fired through with any marine weapon or grenade. Basically it's a Tech only mobile wall to keep the bugs off while everyone else flees in terror/gets into a good firing position. Takes up one main slot

MetalStorm area denial munition. Imagine a sentry gun without the tracking or fire control. It's purpose is to spray a constant barrage of firepower in a straight line. Box contains 100-150 rounds and can be set and aimed before triggering. Useful for area denial if you've not got the room to carry a sentry. Take up one extra slot, contains 2 charges.
I have no mapping, coding or scripting knowledge. I am merely a player of games. My purpose on these forums is to throw out random ideas produced by my warp-fethed brain in the vain hope that someone more talented can realise my dream
Piroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 07:16 PM   #24
Fuzzy Bunny

Originally Posted by Isolocis:
Prototype XP200 Organic Repair Unit

Nicknamed "The Med Gun", the ORU Prototype is a very expensive medical tool that Faith has purchased with almost all of her money. Created by the XP Industries, the ORU can siphon enhanced proteins and other medical chemicals through a homing laser beam to a wounded marine. The laser itself will intelligently home unto damaged tissue and release the contents into the wound. This will hasten the process of natural healing and allows Faith to heal her marines at a safe distance. Compared to the most commonly used medical satchel, the ORU heals a marine at a slower rate. Despite some of its flaws, the ORU is useful when used on the fly. Because Faith knows the ORU by heart, only she can use its complicated interface.

What? Even though it isn't a weapon, it is still a gun! This could be a chance to use the link gun's beam to "link" on players.

Some notes:
1. One canister is enough to completely heal only one marine.

2. It can be useful for Faith to heal her marines and stay in the middle of the group or out of the fray at the same time.

3. Like Bastille's revolver, there is no spare canisters in the map.

4. For a ranged "med kit", I think it is balanced enough that it heals at a slower rate and that it leaves her vulnerable while using it.
U4E already made this gun back in their original UT release. They called it the "Medigun" and it looked like a purple remote control.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2006, 08:51 PM   #25
Isolocis

Well I looked up the U4E to see what it does. I never heard of the U4E version before.

If I'm not wrong, it can allow you to heal yourself up to 150. But if you have more than 150 health, you will go down to 150. I think one person said that the secondary fire (team heal) doesn't use ammo.

The ORU is a little more restrictive than the Medigun. Faith can't heal herself because someone has to use the interface for it to function, and only she knows how to use it. Plus, the IAF does not supply her with additional canisters, like when they do not supply Bastille with additional Magnum ammo.
Old 6th May 2006, 10:10 PM   #26
WimpBastard

See my above post.
They key difference is what happens when you hit fellow marines!

Also the dart gun should fire stim injectors too! Hit an alien and they move twice as fast! Hit a marine and it has the same effect as stim! Also it's impossible to tell what dart you have loaded!
WimpBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006, 02:22 AM   #27
Fuzzy Bunny

Originally Posted by Isolocis:
Well I looked up the U4E to see what it does. I never heard of the U4E version before.

If I'm not wrong, it can allow you to heal yourself up to 150. But if you have more than 150 health, you will go down to 150. I think one person said that the secondary fire (team heal) doesn't use ammo.

The ORU is a little more restrictive than the Medigun. Faith can't heal herself because someone has to use the interface for it to function, and only she knows how to use it. Plus, the IAF does not supply her with additional canisters, like when they do not supply Bastille with additional Magnum ammo.
The medigun can also show the current health of everyone in the map, and I believe it can heal through walls as well as having unlimited range. Not entirely sure about that since I haven't played U4E ina good while.
Old 7th May 2006, 09:39 AM   #28
Ran-bot

I think the marines should be issued more muskets. Rate of fire of 1 lead ball per 1 to 2 minutes and the attachable bayonette for those close encounters. Those aliens don't stand a chance.
Ran-bot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006, 11:43 AM   #29
Phantaloz

Dibs on Bastille+Flintlock!

THEN the aliens won't even attack

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy
Phantaloz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2006, 11:52 AM   #30
Fuzzy Bunny

Muskets? Perhaps you're in the wrong part of the forums.