Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Guilds

Old 14th Apr 2004, 04:17 PM   #61
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Dalai:
Btw I made a new smiley:

Damn you! I'm at work, and just burst out laughing loudly when I saw that!
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2004, 04:35 PM   #62
BrokenArts
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chainsaws:
All I see lately is too many threads getting closed

What else do you expect people to do in an online community? People are going to argue. Unless it's in a bug reporting or a suggestions forum just let them get on with it unless they post offensive material. If they don't get their opinions out of their system they're just going to bottle it up and take it out in the game.
Excuse me? I don't think so Chainsaws. You don't like it, tough. I am not going to discuss with you or anyone the issue of threads being closed, I do not think there are a lot of threads being closed. Some people say, I am not doing enough, I answer to Dalai.
All I saw was arguing and nothing being resolved, in another thread, if that is what your referring to. And in this thread, it is pretty close to the samething. Endless amounts of Spam and flame fests won't continue, in any thread, sorry. If it would of continued into a flame fest, yes, thread closed. If people conduct themselves in a behaved manor, and can resolve issues, and not go on a spamming spree, of course threads won't be closed. Sometimes they have to be closed, sorry you can't see that. Besides closed threads isn't the issue here. I just made a comment on the thread :roll: .
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Apr 2004, 06:24 PM   #63
WildBill

I can officially say at this point TuF won't be agreeing to not use any of the tactics mentioned above so don't bother asking. If we use a tactic against you and you're too *special* to use it against us, your loss (unless, of course, it breaks the game).
And yet TuF is asking for certain tactics not to be used in the match against CoD.

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
Also, TuF would like to put across the following match restrictions for discussion :
  • No win by elimination (I.e Killing/KO'ing everyone would result in a loss for the thief team)
  • Any sniping from the spawn area (the slanted roof) will allow guards to fire back, any spawnrape which may occur because of this retaliation will be deemed acceptable. Guards must not initiate combat on the spawn.
Old 14th Apr 2004, 06:39 PM   #64
The Dragon

Forgive Chainsaws...I think I know what he meant, which was not using exploits like the wall exit in Nostalgia in Theatre, ect. ect.

But the guild DID discuss this, and we discussed which tactic restrictions we would propose. It was then posted by Machine. Maybe Chains didn't read it, but that doesn't really matter, cause I don't think he was referring to that.
Old 15th Apr 2004, 03:34 AM   #65
Machine

Ooop Sorry bill, I was just clarifying some points on the general gameplay rather than the self imposed restrictions described in this thread.

I was thinking about the match and what would happen if we did begin to fire upon a thief who was sniping, and we inadvertantly spawnraped another theif by accident. I just wanted the circumstances to be clear. The no win by elimination I think is a rule of turfwars anyway.
Old 15th Apr 2004, 03:38 AM   #66
modetwo
Webmaster

Originally Posted by Dalai:
Btw I made a new smiley:
lofl
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2004, 03:39 AM   #67
Chainsaws

Originally Posted by The Dragon:
Forgive Chainsaws...
What? Am I senile now? :roll:

Originally Posted by The Dragon:
But the guild DID discuss this, and we discussed which tactic restrictions we would propose. It was then posted by Machine. Maybe Chains didn't read it, but that doesn't really matter, cause I don't think he was referring to that.
Nonono Dragon, Chief insisted on the restrictions to me, I passed them on to Mach and he posted them since Chief hadn't. Sounds like Mach has worded them that they are our proposals though. The aspect of no win by elimination I believe is mentioned in the Turfwars rules as an optional condition, it's not a bug or lame tactic. As for the no fighting in the spawn that's just clearing something up before the match, it's something that would get you into trouble, if not banned, on most servers anyway.
Chainsaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2004, 03:47 AM   #68
Chainsaws

BA: I can see perfectly well the need to close some threads. I don't know the thread you mean, I'm not referring to one in particular. What annoys me is when there's a heated argument and because one person does a bit of trolling or spam in the middle of it, the thread is closed. That post wasn't aimed specifically at you although as far as I'm aware you're the only really active mod on the boards. I'm not attacking you, I'm just stating that I'm fed up of getting half way through reading about a good argument that I want to see the conclusion to (and that I feel needs to be talked - or shouted - out) and finding it's been closed because one or two people threw a little kindling onto it. I'd rather those individuals were punished than the people who still want to talk about something.

Not only that but if they are arguing about it then a little of that is going to be flames, it's a moderators job to make sure that it doesn't become nothing but flames but also make sure that the posts stay on topic so the discussion can continue. Closing a thread should be an absolute last resort but I see it being done too freely.
Old 15th Apr 2004, 07:56 AM   #69
modetwo
Webmaster

You can always make a new thread and point to the discussion in the closed thread, if you want to discuss it more.

Anyway, let's get back on-topic, ey?
modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2004, 07:59 AM   #70
BrokenArts
Administrator

Chainsaws, I understand, thank you. That is sometimes, the best thing to do, is start over on another thread, when things calm down. People can think a bit clearer, and post again. Hopefully come to a better understanding and conculsion, maybe. OK, back on topic.
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2004, 09:37 AM   #71
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
The no win by elimination I think is a rule of turfwars anyway.
It isn't. Any victory method is allowable in TurfWars, except in cases where both teams have agreed that it isn't beforehand.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2004, 10:46 AM   #72
WildBill

Nonono Dragon, Chief insisted on the restrictions to me, I passed them on to Mach and he posted them since Chief hadn't.
So you're willing to agree to limit valid and intended gameplay -- winning by DM, for example -- but not unintended or "lame" tactics? That strikes me as kinda odd.
Old 15th Apr 2004, 11:04 AM   #73
FixXxeR

Originally Posted by DarkBill:
Nonono Dragon, Chief insisted on the restrictions to me, I passed them on to Mach and he posted them since Chief hadn't.
So you're willing to agree to limit valid and intended gameplay -- winning by DM, for example -- but not unintended or "lame" tactics? That strikes me as kinda odd.
Why?, we are just agreeing with Chief about the rules. If he came to us and said, "you cant use unintended exts" or whatever, guess what we'd say :wink:
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
FixXxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Apr 2004, 11:51 AM   #74
Chainsaws

What I'm saying is that I'm not restricting our play styles by excluding anti-scrub tactics. If an opposing guild wants some particular concession made and agree to trade-off a concession we make against them then I see that as something totally different. In this case though, there's nothing we want from CoD, we're just being nice because we know we'll pwn them anyway
Old 15th Apr 2004, 12:44 PM   #75
WildBill

What I'm saying is that I'm not restricting our play styles by excluding anti-scrub tactics. If an opposing guild wants some particular concession made and agree to trade-off a concession we make against them then I see that as something totally different. In this case though, there's nothing we want from CoD, we're just being nice because we know we'll pwn them anyway
Okay, makes sense now. From the wording I thought you said you'd never agree to any limitations on anti-scrub tactics. Nice phrase, by the way. ^_^
Old 15th Apr 2004, 02:16 PM   #76
Chainsaws

Originally Posted by DarkBill:
From the wording I thought you said you'd never agree to any limitations on anti-scrub tactics. Nice phrase, by the way. ^_^
I probably did, I can be an ass sometimes