Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 13th May 2004, 12:16 PM   #1
Tessa Garlisk

Well, how to start this...

Thievery seems just great! That said, I figured I'd make this post and tell you about my noobish adventures. Everyone loves noobish adventures!

In no particular order, here they are. (On a side not, I've conferred with Dak so I get the names of maps and areas correct.)

Ok, one of my earliest most exciting moments was on Stronghold. I'd snuck into the castle, and managed to get into the conferrance room (big room in the middle). As i'm sitting there in a shadow, a human guard comes in and places 2 bots, about 5 feet apart. One bot is looking at a door toward the vault. The other is looking directly the other way, while meanwhile, I sit off to the side.

I don't want to use any of my stuff to get out, but I can't see how else I could, with 2 AI right there looking at both exits.
Well, I moved over a little, and saw a THIRD exit! But still, that leaves the guards...however, neither of them are looking at this exit. I hop down from a table onto the carpet: Nothing. I slowly crouch-walked between the 2 guards, and out into freedom!

It doesn't seem like much in writing, but its pretty cool to be sneaking around in broad light, surrounded on 2 sides by guards, and not be seen.

Just today, I got my first mario kill, and I didn't even know what happened when I did! It was on Darkened Enlightenment, and I was running around on a roof near a pool. Well, I was returning to an area where I had been KOed, and jumped off the roof. There was a slight stutter in my view, a scream, and a message that said "Siriuk was killed by Tessa Garlisk's Nothing."
That was perplexing, but I soon realized that I had squished him. Pretty cool!

Also today, I played a great game on Nostalgia. I can't remember who I was teamed with. Locke and Industrialism I think. We were thieving against Gladius, (AI) Turnbull, ZT, and another.

The first major incident occured when I tried to get the lyre out of the Gallery. I had to jump over a set of caltrops and a mine, grab the lyre, and jump again, all the while Gladius entered the room at the same time I did. He chased me into the library, and I hid into one of the shadows. I figured he'd soon find me with flares, so I shot a vine arrow into the middle bookshelf. When he climbed it, I took off, and made it to the main hall gallery.

At this point, the other thieves had died, after we'd ALMOST escaped twice. I ended up sneaking around the map and had 2400 loot of 2800 total.

This match didn't end well for me, though. I had many close calls, but eventually Gladius shot me as I was opening a door.

Very exciting stuff! Great games! And the people...you guys are a bit nutty, but a lot nicer than what I've had in games like TO.
Tessa Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Bucchus

Originally Posted by Tessa Garlisk:
And the people...you guys are a bit nutty
Understatement...

Nice adventure stories, Tessa! Thievery stories are always good. That wasn't too noobish though, you apparently survived many hard situations. In similar situations as a noob I got always squished! I still do as a thief... (Heh, it was maybe my second game online, when I spawned as a guard and instantly, just a microsecond later got KO'ed by FixXxer... Nice welcoming to TUT and stuff, kind of "better get used to this, cause it will happen a lot!" :lol: )
Old 13th May 2004, 01:40 PM   #3
Tessa Garlisk

Well, if I listed all the times I've been killed, KOed, or otherwise incapacitated already...well, it'd be too much to list.
:wink:
Old 13th May 2004, 02:30 PM   #4
Garlisk

I have this theory about some of Tessa's success.

As someone who only knows some of the maps from watching me, a little Single Player, and only some basic knowledge of how things work, Tes doesn't seem to feel restricted by anything.

For instance, twice today, I saw her go to spots on a map that I never, EVER, would have tried to escape to, because I know the maps.

The first was on Skeltstonshead, in the far back at the crates. I know that the wall doesn't go anywhere, and would have tried to run in circles around the crates and tried to get out somehow. Tessa jumped onto the wall, and stayed there until the guards left, but not before trying to jump down the other side of the wall.

Stuff like that.

But, mostly, I blame luck. Err, attribute luck.
Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 02:40 PM   #5
ZTx3

You did quit well considering. Surprised the hell outta me after I heard the loot goal was reached on Nostalgia and I got back to the display room momments later to see which way you got in/out so I could track you. Only to find EVERY single trap was in place and the lyre gone . Made me scratch my head for a second there :lol:

And yes the people of ThieveryUT are compared to any other gaming community vary friendly most of the time(albeit we are strang at times to new people because of all the inside jokes I imagin)
Old 13th May 2004, 02:49 PM   #6
Radamanthus

wow! sounds a lot like my early days (and some of more recent ones...)

tessa, never be afraid to try something that nobody else has: it usually gets you somewhere you shouldn't be! I've got a litst of about fifty places i've gotten to so far, including the top of hte cliffs on Skeltston, and above the cave in DE.

Aside from that, you sound like a col person. I really hope to meet you ingame sometime! 8)

-LoToR
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 03:26 PM   #7
The Dragon

Originally Posted by Tessa Garlisk:
Just today, I got my first mario kill, and I didn't even know what happened when I did! It was on Darkened Enlightenment, and I was running around on a roof near a pool. Well, I was returning to an area where I had been KOed, and jumped off the roof. There was a slight stutter in my view, a scream, and a message that said "Siriuk was killed by Tessa Garlisk's Nothing."
That was perplexing, but I soon realized that I had squished him. Pretty cool!
This is where I got my first mario!!
Old 13th May 2004, 04:17 PM   #8
Ruffian

Mario'd already? I have only been successful with that once and only with an AI...hmmm....Tessa is a noob and plays like that? So what does that make me? ops:
Old 13th May 2004, 04:25 PM   #9
Master-Builder

Originally Posted by littlek:
So what does that make me? ops:
Luigi?
Master-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 04:31 PM   #10
LaughingRat

Mario'd already? I have only been successful with that once and only with an AI...hmmm....Tessa is a noob and plays like that? So what does that make me? ops:
That makes you an old gamer, just like me and a few others around here.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 05:31 PM   #11
industrialism

industrialism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 06:07 PM   #12
Garlisk

Hey, I did see that....it was total luck. I'm sure with the AI you at least knew what you were doing.

:lol:
Garlisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 06:14 PM   #13
Lurox

Can't wait to play against you. You'll have the privilege to see my muscles... err, skills.
Old 13th May 2004, 06:40 PM   #14
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
That makes you an old gamer, just like me and a few others around here.
HEY! I resemble that remark! er, I mean, uh, resent ! yeah thats it!
Ghostly apparition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 07:33 PM   #15
Ruffian

LR! What a sweetie saying that I am a "Cool Gamer." littlek puts on her magnifyer glasses. Oh crap that says "OLD" gamer. Well LR, GA and my other oldie friends....we are wine....a fine cabernet. But now that red wine gives me headaches, I have been switching to "Red Stripe" beer.

Master Builder? What is a Luige? like a pizza? Should I be insulted?
Old 13th May 2004, 07:48 PM   #16
R0BzY

What about the lift operator story
Old 13th May 2004, 08:24 PM   #17
Master-Builder

Master Builder? What is a Luige? like a pizza? Should I be insulted?
Meh... Meant to say "Luigi".
Master-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 09:45 PM   #18
LaughingRat

LR! What a sweetie saying that I am a "Cool Gamer." littlek puts on her magnifyer glasses. Oh crap that says "OLD" gamer. Well LR, GA and my other oldie friends....we are wine....a fine cabernet. But now that red wine gives me headaches, I have been switching to "Red Stripe" beer.
I was going to post a link to a "senior gamer" site, but I was unable to find it. "Senior gamer" in this case means a computer gamer over the age of 30. I've been unable to get a senior citizen discount on that basis, however.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2004, 09:53 PM   #19
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
I was going to post a link to a "senior gamer" site, but I was unable to find it. "Senior gamer" in this case means a computer gamer over the age of 30. I've been unable to get a senior citizen discount on that basis, however.
I'm guessing when you are elected president any gamer over the age of 30
will be entitled to all senior citizen discounts?

While you're at it, please make any senior gamers eligable for free computer
upgrades every 2 years. (Top o the line stuff if ya please!)
Old 13th May 2004, 10:19 PM   #20
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition:
Hey, now wait a minute, you don't have to work in a dumpster for nine hours a day so you can buy new computer stuff. Maybe the younger people should be getting the free hardware?

Fine. Can you at least send me the stuff you're replacing? :grin:

And really, upgrading every two years, even with top-o-the-line stuff, won't be often enough.
BiG_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2004, 05:23 AM   #21
Tessa Garlisk

LOL Robzy!

We were playing on Aquatone, and I got to the lift after being chased around by Occutempas (sp). So, to get away I hit the button up. I dropped off my evidence, and sent the elevator back down, though I stayed up. I didn't see anyone down there, so I brought it back up, got on and went down again.

This time when I got down, I see Robzy being chased by Occu, so he jumps on the lift, and I send it up. Then Robzy catfalled back down, only to be killed by Occu. I wait a little bit, and send the lift down with me not on it. Then, seeing noone, I bring it back up...but Occu IS on it! So I hit the button again, but it doesn't stop. I wait for the lift to get up, then hit the button, and jumped after it. I took a little impact damage cause the lift was going down and I kept falling after it, but I landed with some health.

After that its pretty much a blur. Occu got back down, stuff happened, guards won.

But for those few everlasting minutes, I got to be: The Lift Operator Person!!

Oh, and I took a screenie of where I snuck between the guards on Stronghold. I wasn't sure where to find it the other day when I made the post.
Old 14th May 2004, 05:36 AM   #22
DeepQantas
Tester

Hehhehheh...

I tip my hat off for thee. :grin:
Old 14th May 2004, 09:03 PM   #23
Ghostly apparition

Originally Posted by BiG_D:
 Originally Posted by Ghostly apparition:
Hey, now wait a minute, you don't have to work in a dumpster for nine hours a day so you can buy new computer stuff. Maybe the younger people should be getting the free hardware?

Fine. Can you at least send me the stuff you're replacing? :grin:

And really, upgrading every two years, even with top-o-the-line stuff, won't be often enough.
You work in a dumpster?

Sure, I'll send ya my old stuff.

Ok, how bout every year!
Old 15th May 2004, 12:42 PM   #24
Radamanthus

did i hear FREE HARDWARE?!!?!!?!?

i jsut got aan 8-foot serverrack today from a dumpster. won't fit in my house, but it's nice and cozy in my garage.

i also got over 25 computer when the school replaced theirs, including their 2 old servers.

Still. i'm starved for GOOD free hardware. if you're in the US, feel free to ask for my address to ship by.
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Old 15th May 2004, 01:30 PM   #25
Dalai
Project Lead

The easiest way to get a mario kill is to get some foolhardy guard to chase you up a ladder. Tap the jump key and bam!
Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2004, 01:42 PM   #26
Tessa Garlisk

Thats a good idea, Dalai.

But I don't want to hurt the poor guards if I don't have to. They are, after all, just doing their job.
Old 15th May 2004, 03:15 PM   #27
Radamanthus

easier yet, get a human ( or 2-3 works too) to folow you up a vine. I get EVERYONE like that. Butthen again, keeping true to the guidelines of ghoster (no ko/kills) just pull out the vines and watch the fall.

"wasn't me!"