Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 19th May 2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Bucchus

Angry My adventures with a Lexmark printer

This post is not a call for tech assistance, it's merely a warning to all of you who are considering to buy a printer...

I bought this Lexmark Z602 (inkjet, USB) sometime during the spring of 2004. I needed a printer and it was a cheap one (something like 50-60 eurobucks). Well, my earlier printer was an 90s Canon, a brilliant old-school printer with no fancy USB stuff. Compared to that, the Lexmark was an horror. It had horrible bloated drivers and executables which wanted to run in the background all the time (mainly Lexbces.exe). It tried to run a stupid Lexmark Peer-to-peer printing service too (LEXPPS.exe) but I managed to disable that. On my older rig this was really annoying, as it didn't really need any extra crap running in the background as it was slow anyway. I developed this reflex routine to kill the Lexmark processes after rebooting from running in the background (provided I wasn't going to print anything).

Then, the printer itself. The printer's printing options were really limited, I could basically choose between horribly ink-hogging good quality or ink-hogging crappy quality (whereas the Canon one did good quality printing while saving the ink). The next thing that it lacked was a good system to clean the whatever-those-things-are-that-apply-the-ink-to-the-paper (what's the term for those? ). Whereas, with the Canon (you see a pattern forming here?) it cleaned them nicely and automatically. Lexmark's only option for cleaning them was to shoot out ridiculous amounts of ink to clean the whatever-thingies. This combined with it's excessive use of ink in normal printing caused it to require more ink pretty quickly.

I think I bought 3 refills for it in the 8 or so months it was in proper use, whereas the refills cost something like 31 euros apiece. The printer wasn't in heavy use, just for printing some random school assignments now and then. Whenever there was something like a week or two between the uses, it needed to clean itself with the ink-blurting mechanism. Which was reeeally handy for getting rid of the expensive ink.

Some other nice features were a really annoying graphical display (with a female voice in finnish and apparently downloadable skins?) to tell me which page it was printing currently. And it had to announce stuff like "printing completed". Duh, like I couldn't see that myself? Luckily I could kill the idiotic voice samples. I could describe every software solution with this printer as full of stupid, useless, nice-looking bloated features instead of simple, functioning solutions. There were software gauges for ink quantities, which malfunctioned nicely. They would whine that I was out of ink when the cartridges were about full and vice versa.

Now, sometime around december or so the whatever-thingies-that-blurt-out-ink got so dirty they wouldn't clean out anymore with the ink-blurting-"cleaning"-mechanism. The printing quality was so bad it couldn't print out a single page without smears or other oddities. I believe this was because the printer was designed for a "cool look" or something to have many openings for the dust and other crap to get in. Considering the vast quantities of money I had spent just to feed this monstrosity, I didn't really care that it stopped working. Maybe it could've been fixed somehow. I've been doing all my printing at the university's microlabs after that. Now, a friend of mine said he had an old-school printer lying around, and it's still functional. I'll gladly take that printer and ditch this Lexmark away.

The Lexmark had to have a final say. I proceeded to uninstall all the crap related to it (why did I wait until now, I don't know. Lazy?). Well, all the uninstaller uninstalled was the handy-dandy stupid assistance software. Drivers and the annoying exes? Nah, it left them running at startup just as they were, to hog my cpu cycles. Well, thanks to Google I managed to hunt every little pesky exe down from my Windows folders and registry, and finally this computer should be free of the taint of the Lexmark. I hope.

Until I can think of a better use for the printer (I could put it for sale cheap, but then it would drive someone else crazy), it shall continue working for cosmic evil forces and serve as a throne for Mighty Cthulhu.

Remember:
Old 19th May 2005, 05:30 PM   #2
Radamanthus

Buy a Hewlett PAckard model. fair bit more expensive, but also uncountable times better.

I have a Hewlett Packard all-in-one and, though I won't pretend it doens't always give me some trouble with printing, it does all of its jobs nicely while saving ink. Nice photo quality in two minutes, or fastjob quality.. 30pgs/min.

Every now and then it gets stuck on a print job, but it's usually because XP decides to open its firewall (even though my own is perfectly set up) which kills the printer. Windows is stupid like that.
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Kolimbursi

Lexmark sux D

i also got a Hewelett Packard Printer and a Hewelett Packard Scanner.
Both work extremly good xD

i also suggest you to buy one from Hewelett Packard
Kolimbursi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 05:55 PM   #4
BrokenArts
Administrator

BA jumps on Hewlette Packard band wagon. What they said.
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 06:04 PM   #5
Antero90

Now you know why people dont buy it.
Next time talk with people (and I dotn mean the people in the shop) before buying a printer.
Antero90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 07:16 PM   #6
Salvage

I had a Lexxmark, it was crap. After I threw that away I had a really old IBM inkjet that printed far better than the Lexxmark ever did, even though it only used black ink and had a max resolution of 400 dpi.

I have an HP PSC 1110. The copies are great, it prints great, and it scans great. However, it doesn't like to print in greyscale unless there's a color cartridge in it. That and the drivers take up a lot of resources(anyone have any drivers that won't completely bog down my Win98 500 MHz machine I use for a print server?).
Old 19th May 2005, 07:20 PM   #7
Kolimbursi

And did i tell you about the amazing support from Hewelett Packard products?
I lose my install-cds constantly, but thanks to the official hewelettpage
im be able to download every print/scan program & working driver for each hewlett product for free.

get blessed with hewlett packard products!
Kolimbursi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 07:31 PM   #8
Thebos

I would go with HP printers myself. Have had two (855c and 5550), and both have been trouble free.

Most people seem scared off by the relative cost of HP inkjet cartridges. Reason they cost more is the print heads (those things you could not name I beleive) are part of the cartidges. Downside is the cost and you may not be able to refill them. Upside is you would only need to clean them because of some fluke.
Old 19th May 2005, 09:33 PM   #9
Radamanthus

Originally Posted by Thebos:
Upside is you would only need to clean them because of some fluke.
they are also self-cleaning, which is very nice. and, of course, they're color-coded for type, and each printer is self-explanatory: the ink cartridges have huge numbers corresponding to the printer slots. 1 goes in 1, 32 goes i n32 (depending on which catridge you bought). Eay to use, eay to install, easy to maintain.

It's XP that causes problems wiht hit. Under a linux installation (yes, HP linux support!) it's perfect!
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2005, 10:07 PM   #10
Cthulhu Dreams

I've never had a printer that works properly. This includes HP products.

Printers are just the spawn of the debil.
Cthulhu Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2005, 12:48 AM   #11
Nachimir

Printers are a peripheral of the Devil. Especially Lexmark, Epson, and Olivetti.

I've had some HPs, and they seem the best of those I've tried, though I hear tell they aren't as solid as they used to be. Judging by my limited experience, this may be true. My old B+W one was built like a tank and never gave any trouble at all. I currently have a Photo 830, which works okay (Be warned if you consider one of these, the print heads on them are not a part of the ink cartridges, and they can suffer with clogging. Once drastically clogged, printer = pwned).
Nachimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2005, 06:59 AM   #12
Exo-Warrior

Originally Posted by Nachimir:
Printers are a peripheral of the Devil. Especially Lexmark, Epson, and Olivetti.

I've had some HPs, and they seem the best of those I've tried, though I hear tell they aren't as solid as they used to be. Judging by my limited experience, this may be true. My old B+W one was built like a tank and never gave any trouble at all. I currently have a Photo 830, which works okay (Be warned if you consider one of these, the print heads on them are not a part of the ink cartridges, and they can suffer with clogging. Once drastically clogged, printer = pwned).
No! They're the THRONE of the Devil!

*points up at the picture in Bucc's post*
Exo-Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2005, 07:37 AM   #13
Bucchus

Pfft, the Devil is just some young upshot, whereas ol' Cthulhu is countless times older. You'll hurt his (hers? it's?) feelings with accusations like that

I think that the printer that my friend had lying around was a HP. We'll see.