Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Mapping

Notices

Old 19th Aug 2006, 04:43 AM   #1
Donator

Testers Needed

Dedicated testers are needed for ongoing AS mapping project to evaluate fun-factor, playability and general quality of product. You will also assess performance and try to discover and report errors, primarily exploits and gamebreaking issues of any kind. At later stages you might be required for closed multiplayer testing sessions as well. Capability of actively assisting with development is a big plus. You should be male, French, in your mid-fourties and have bad breath. Minor skills required are coherent language, reliability, discretion and the ability to hit a moving target repeatedly. Applications should be made through private message or posting below. We reserve the right to turn down people at a whim without explanation though, should the onrush prove impossible to handle.

Have a nice day.
Donator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2006, 07:25 AM   #2
Ki!ler-Mk1

Originally Posted by Donator: ( link to post ) 
Applications should be made through private message or posting below.
Sounds intresting, I enjoyed testing telic.

Well im intrested in taking part.
Old 19th Aug 2006, 09:38 AM   #3
Carth

Can't you tell us what it is?
Old 19th Aug 2006, 11:04 AM   #4
NoData

...You should be male, French, in your mid-fourties and have bad breath...
I have all the quality listed here since i just wake up! And i have the highest "French factor" of the community! Sounds interesting Don. Im in. I think i have a good mapping basis that could help you.
Old 19th Aug 2006, 11:48 AM   #5
Donator

Quote:
Can't you tell us what it is?
That's actually a little bit complicated. After the release of Telic, there was quite a bit of unused and unfinished stuff left, design concepts, basic layouts, various little gimmicks and custom content that didn't make it into the final, which I now decided to wrap up into something playable while ASw is still being played. The working title is "Escape From Rhea" (Ao-EFR-...), basically the story picks off right where Telic ended, the first map even uses some parts of 'Underneath', but played in reverse. Atm we have two maps in beta status, say, playable, decent looking and probably releasable after some tweaking, and two more in promising pre-alpha stages. It's a small map pack, if you want. The main issue here is manpower, Sniper1 is helping me out, but I don't want to announce a full sized 'campaign', simply because there isn't going to be one unless some capable mapper decides to join in the fun and contributes a map or two.

[EDIT]
Added a couple pictures so you get an idea what to expect.
Phoenix_1.jpg
Phoenix_2.jpg
Trenchwar_1.jpg
Trenchwar_2.jpg

Last edited by Donator; 19th Aug 2006 at 01:18 PM.
Old 19th Aug 2006, 05:13 PM   #6
Moses2k

If you need Insane ramboses testing, I might be available.
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Aug 2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Ki!ler-Mk1

That 4th shot looks awsome.
Old 20th Aug 2006, 09:25 PM   #8
lightfoot

Seems I nearly only got 'minor skills', and not even all of those.

But I can pretend being a DJ at parties, and was told once that I make a good cup of coffee.

I have beaten Crimson land.

My Chinese isn't very good yet, but improving. Probably better than yours.

Being allergic against tennis socks might be a drawback, but I hope I still qualify.
lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 02:34 PM   #9
PsiSoldier28

I could be off some help, between my close gaming friends I am known for breaking things and finding new exploits.
PsiSoldier28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 02:38 PM   #10
reemulmyu

i will help if required pm me
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 03:33 PM   #11
DelXander

I'm always interested in testing new content, I would be happy to test it for you. Just PM me if you think I qualify.
DelXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Aug 2006, 08:13 PM   #12
x-newbie

Im willing to help too if you think im qualified
x-newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2006, 07:42 AM   #13
Donator

No more testers needed at the moment, thank you all folks. We're in a phase of development and bugfixing now, once there's something new that needs testing, you'll receive PMs with download links.

Btw, Killer, Fuzzy, still waiting for your feedback... or at least a goddamn lifesign.
Old 29th Aug 2006, 03:04 PM   #14
reemulmyu

chose the wrong helpfull chaps methinks donator goodluck
Old 31st Aug 2006, 12:52 PM   #15
DelXander

Ya, how's it going on? Need some more testing in the meantime? Or just more hooray?
DelXander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st Aug 2006, 06:50 PM   #16
Donator

What I need is this awful series of night services to end, get out of hospital, see my pillow for a straight ten hours and then you can expect an update. Maybe. This weekend. We've been making good progress in the meantime, no worries.
Old 1st Sep 2006, 05:40 AM   #17
reemulmyu

nice,, offer still stands though
Old 1st Sep 2006, 07:52 AM   #18
lightfoot

As this sounds like a promise for shiny new content (I hope I got that right), I am willing to share my weekly sleep ration with you.

Here, have ten more hours. Should last a whole week, nearly...
Old 1st Sep 2006, 07:57 AM   #19
lightfoot

You could also have some stim reaction drug injected to you while sleeping. You wouldn't need the full ten hours, then, maybe.

(My legal advisor urges me to add a warning: Don't try this at home, kids! You could find yourself waking up shooting the first thing that moves, the cat, grandma, you name it.)
Old 1st Sep 2006, 07:43 PM   #20
Ki!ler-Mk1

What I need is this awful series of night services to end, get out of hospital, see my pillow for a straight ten hours and then you can expect an update. Maybe. This weekend. We've been making good progress in the meantime, no worries.
Why were you in hospital, employee or..?
Old 2nd Sep 2006, 03:30 AM   #21
Donator

Mandatory surgery clerkship. Station is understaffed though, and my job feels roughly like that of an intern.
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 05:09 AM   #22
Donator

EFR Testpack MK2 is up. Check your PMs for the link.

Have fun.
Old 3rd Sep 2006, 02:20 PM   #23
reemulmyu

thx don i get right on it
Old 5th Sep 2006, 02:53 PM   #24
Donator

Buglist update:

-) 'Disappearing dropped items' - solved. Was bNoInventory = true in a PhysicsVolume
-) 'Buggy Williams' - solved. Just setup server packages properly next time, NoData
-) no lightning online in Trenchwar - testing. Buggy trigger light replication.
-) 'flipping floor goo patches' in Trenchwar - bsp cut issue. Placement will be revised. Could also make water sheet a static mesh instead.
-) Hacktool in Specimen hard to pick up - easy fix
-) online, bughole rubble appears before explosion - going to fix that, should be easy with a delay in the movers.
Old 5th Sep 2006, 08:48 PM   #25
NoData

Buglist update:

1-) 'Disappearing dropped items' - solved. Was bNoInventory = true in a PhysicsVolume
2-) 'Buggy Williams' - solved. Just setup server packages properly next time, NoData
3-) no lightning online in Trenchwar - testing. Buggy trigger light replication.
4-) 'flipping floor goo patches' in Trenchwar - bsp cut issue. Placement will be revised. Could also make water sheet a static mesh instead.
5-) Hacktool in Specimen hard to pick up - easy fix
6-) online, bughole rubble appears before explosion - going to fix that, should be easy with a delay in the movers.
#2 Pfff! I requested the server package line and you dindt tell me!
#5 Yeah, easy fix! You n00b! What about the 100 infinite spawns you placed in? I did the map yesterday for the first time with moses, we runned out of ammo with 2 flamer and 1 tesla... To give you an idea, i finaly decided to turn on God mode after the half of the map, and we finished it with like 350 kills, thats probably more than you can get on Sulfure!
Keep on good work, caus i do!

Edit: Package added, #2 now fixed and work. Helmet too, but does hes enough inteligent to grab his helmet back if he lost it? And looks like he have an ammo bag! I have set im on fire as usual, but this time willy got his vengeace!

Last edited by NoData; 5th Sep 2006 at 10:00 PM.
NoData is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Sep 2006, 11:50 PM   #26
Fuzzy Bunny

Instead of an ammo bag, try just giving him 2 rifles. He'd still get the 10 clips but wouldn't explode.

Originally Posted by NoData: ( link to post ) 
What about the 100 infinite spawns you placed in? I did the map yesterday for the first time with moses, we runned out of ammo with 2 flamer and 1 tesla...
Maybe the map was designed with more than 2 marines in mind?
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2006, 01:20 AM   #27
NoData

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny: ( link to post ) 
Instead of an ammo bag, try just giving him 2 rifles. He'd still get the 10 clips but wouldn't explode.
I dont have any problem with the fact that he explode when you set it on fire! Its just more chalenging no?

Originally Posted by Fuzzy Bunny: ( link to post ) 
...Maybe the map was designed with more than 2 marines in mind?
Lets talk in Unreal unit: Specimen is 7000 by 5000 Uu. Sulfure is like 14,000 by 10,000 Uu! It's 4x the size of Specimen, but with the same number of aliens... you dindt see a problem here? Usually, small/mid sized map turn around 200 aliens for a complete run no?

---> Beta testing tomorow. Fuzzy idea, and in im! He talked about 12am GMT. Its around 6pm for me and america side.
Old 6th Sep 2006, 02:40 AM   #28
Fuzzy Bunny

I dont have any problem with the fact that he explode when you set it on fire! Its just more chalenging no?
That's the spirit

Lets talk in Unreal unit: Specimen is 7000 by 5000 Uu. Sulfure is like 14,000 by 10,000 Uu! It's 4x the size of Specimen, but with the same number of aliens... you dindt see a problem here? Usually, small/mid sized map turn around 200 aliens for a complete run no?
Some of the spawns in the map do seem a little heavy, although being able to use a flamer to light them up five or more at a time does make it a bit easier I'd like to see how they work out on the higher difficulties.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Sep 2006, 03:13 AM   #29
reemulmyu

so far i have not had any probs on pheonix apart from the pain of constantly placing bots ,ammo may become a problem in single ,nice touch with the flying things ,i will keep it up im off for 4 days now so i can do some intense testing .
Old 6th Sep 2006, 07:00 AM   #30
Donator

Buglist update (suggestions):

-) Specimen will have an ammobag in the control room
-) Trenchwar spawners are pretty much placeholders, still didn't find the time to properly set them up with MoveTo's and trigger them per-section. This will likely cut the number of aliens necessary for a constant supply in half. I might also lower their health a bit. Trenchwar is a gunner's map really and supposed to provide the whole team with a decent number of stars for the bigger challenges to come.
-) Specimen spawners are tricky: if you get more than say 90-120 kills, this means you did a lot of useless running. If I don't make the spawners infinite, people clear the map and complain about the useless buttonpressing. If you know what to do and pre-position your players at the hatch controls before the walls go up, the map is over in less than 3 minutes. It is also possible to simply avoid a substantial amount of alien-contact by closing big doors and welding some vents shut. Hope to find a way in the middle.
-) Williams can definitely not re-pickup his helmet. Though can somebody confirm if he is actually able to lose it at all? If I remember correctly, the helmet only drops if the marine loses a substantial PERCENTAGE of his health in one shot, which is kinda difficult with his 1000 health, unless you use grenades.
-) Willy has an Autogun now, so double weapons instead of the ammobag is not an option. And even though you can telic-reload him, without an ammobag he runs out of ammo way too fast.

Last edited by Donator; 6th Sep 2006 at 07:19 AM.