Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 4th Sep 2008, 06:38 AM   #31
immortius

I'm hoping that Epic will switch to using Gears of War as their moddable game.
Old 4th Sep 2008, 11:18 AM   #32
Illuminus

Problem is that GoW 2 will not go to PC according to Epic (at least not at release). It seems Epic is less concerned with developing games for the PC using their engine

On a slightly sad note as well , there were rumours that Dragon Age was on the UEd engine... but apparently that was false.
Old 4th Sep 2008, 12:51 PM   #33
-=V12US=-

*yawn*

Mornin' guys, is Nightblade out yet?
Old 19th Sep 2008, 12:46 PM   #34
Denny

Originally Posted by Illuminus: ( link to post ) 
Problem is that GoW 2 will not go to PC according to Epic (at least not at release). It seems Epic is less concerned with developing games for the PC using their engine.
To me it just looks like the standard move to hype everyone up for the console version and half a year later drop the surprise of a moddable PC version - just to get as much money as possible.

Don't tell me you haven't seen this pattern from devs recently.....
Old 19th Sep 2008, 12:52 PM   #35
]>CoD<[Chief

Oh, you cynic Denny
Old 20th Sep 2008, 06:18 PM   #36
ZTx3

Doesn't help that UT3 turned out to be less popular than expected with the PC crowd. Mind you, just one good mod like Night-Blade can change every thing
Old 22nd Sep 2008, 10:42 PM   #37
Spidey

I have faith in Night-Blade. It may be blind faith, but I truly have no interest in playing any other game online. I'm currently disconnected from the internet, but I'm considering getting a router to get my computer back online, now that it's up and running again.

For now, I really have only one other game I MUST finish, but I think that'll be done in about a week. Then I'm going to try a different UT3 setup, one that Nvidia had recommended, and see if that stops the UT3.exe crashes I was getting a few days ago. Once I get that part worked out, I'm going back to reporting bugs for current Nightblade updates and studying the guides on how to make a Nightblade map, which I am VERY interested in doing.

I also have a Thief short story I'm working on and a Neverwinter Nights module based on the City after the Thief: Deadly Shadows timeline. I plan on making a few tweaks on that and posting it next month. Maybe someone will actually play it.

I still have love for the blackjack. The flame still burns for me.

Nightblade is not dead. Give it a chance to grow, oh ye of little faith.
Old 23rd Sep 2008, 03:42 AM   #38
immortius

Originally Posted by Spidey: ( link to post ) 
Once I get that part worked out, I'm going back to reporting bugs for current Nightblade updates and studying the guides on how to make a Nightblade map, which I am VERY interested in doing.
And I'm very interested in how that goes. At the moment the introduction article is out-of-date due to the new mod system, so I'll have to update that for you. And let me know if you have any questions or issues.
Old 25th Sep 2008, 03:13 PM   #39
Inq

At the moment I'm still constantly working on environment models for Nightblade, so some of the graphics for Nightblade are still coming along. I'll post some when I can.
Old 1st Oct 2008, 04:43 PM   #40
Bloated_Taffer

What is the main difference between Nightblade and Thievery?
Old 1st Oct 2008, 06:03 PM   #41
-KewlAzMe-

UT Classic vs UT3
Old 3rd Oct 2008, 09:20 AM   #42
FixXxeR

Originally Posted by Bloated_Taffer: ( link to post ) 
What is the main difference between Nightblade and Thievery?
They're two different games.
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
Old 4th Oct 2008, 10:43 AM   #43
Bloated_Taffer

Originally Posted by FixXxeR: ( link to post ) 
They're two different games.
Mhmmm I wasn't aware....

So they're made with 2 different engines, but basically trying to achieve the same goal in gameplay correct KAM?
Old 4th Oct 2008, 11:06 AM   #44
FixXxeR

Negative. Albeit similar genres, Nightblade is a new concept, indeed a new engine and an entirely different experience. Check out the website links at the top of the page for information on each of the mods.

TUT has been around for years, and is an established, seasoned modification for UT99 - it's also completely finished.

Nightblade isn't released and is still in the development stage.
Old 12th Oct 2008, 03:56 PM   #45
sky-fiwa-

So...

I recently been on the forums for the last month and just now realized how slow Nightblade is slowly dissolving away. Almost 6 years worth of waiting and all we got is some screens, a lot of alpha releases, some texture packages, item pictures, mapmaker guides and that's pretty much it.

Alien Swarm never took this long and BCG created a fan base pretty quickly, but the Thievery fan base is quickly passing by and a lot of fans and people are losing patience and interest.

The last update on the website was in May, some five to six months ago. What I'm trying to say is, why announce and create Alien Swarm Infested if you can't commit to one mod? You only have a handful of of developers and some of them can't even work the mods because of social life or life in general.

Committing to one mod is way better then two mods with no updates or releases that are interesting. With a total of about 10 workers, progression is too slow for any person who has liked BCG for a while.
Old 12th Oct 2008, 04:08 PM   #46
BiG_D
Super Moderator

What second mod is BCG working on?

And since when was there only one team?

And what kind of person complains that "a lot of alpha releases" just isn't good enough?
Old 12th Oct 2008, 05:35 PM   #47
]>CoD<[Chief

Quote:
Alien Swarm never took this long
Out of interest how do you know this for a fact? Where you privvy to all the internal chats the devs had or....? See, I always sort of got the impression AS had been in the works for a while when it was announced, it wasn't some form of spontaneus "Yeah, lets post this cool mod idea and worry about the content afterwards" idea from BCG.

Also lets be fair here, NightBlade isn't the old NightBlade that was announced long ago, it's now a completely new total conversion sharing the same name as an old, project name and being built from scratch, that's going to take time and effort.

I reckon from the look of things the only coder now (or the only one who puts comments in the code) is Immortius, and it's alot of work to juggle a free total conversion with the annoyingly mundane thing called "Real Life" so really you're post should have read:

Quote:
"So...

I've been away from the forums for a month and I see there's not been a new alpha release since August, just wondered if there was any development diary I could watch to see how things are shaping up.

I'd like to thank BCG for taking the time to provide me with the free total conversion, it can't be easy juggling real-life commitments AND what's shaping up to be a great Thievery styled game.

Finally thanks for all those mapping guides. I'm learning Unreal Editor so that I can create custom missions for when this thing hits beta.

I'm already mapping with the content you've providied, it's more than enough for me to be getting on with".

Old 12th Oct 2008, 07:00 PM   #48
Ki!ler-Mk1

Quote:
Alien Swarm never took this long
Maybe he is just talking about the time between the release of ut2004 and alienswarm. But then we dont have a "Make-something-unreal-but-really-past-the-time-from-the-ut2004-MSUC*-for-UT3" Do we**.

*contest
**afa i know
 Quote:
What second mod is BCG working on?
Maybe he just meant the difference between Nightblade for 2k4 and NB for UT3

Quote:
why announce and create Alien Swarm Infested if you can't commit to one mod?
Oh, Yeah.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 05:42 AM   #49
Inq

Progress is being slowly made. The team is small at the moment and as has been said above, they're juggling work and alternative free time with Nightblade. You may find this hard to believe, but it's quite difficult to find enough hours in the day. If you code/model/whatever all day at work for hours on end, it's very hard to muster up the drive to do more in your own time instead of just sitting down and watching television before going to sleep. Coding a total conversion game is a huge task for a fairly inexperienced individual. Immortius, the main (and currently only, I believe) coder isn't some 50 year old expert or anything, so things cannot be done at the drop of a hat in a couple of weeks.

Fans of games generally do come and go over time before a game finally loses it's audience over the years. When Nightblade is released, I'd bet that a lot of the original TUT players will have long moved on or even stopped playing games altogether, however, other gamers will have come along to enjoy it.

Of course, if you would like to speed up the development of the game, I'm sure that you'd be welcome to help out the team, and join in on the scripting, modelling, mapping or map-making-tutorials aspects of the game.

Please be patient or be helpful.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 07:02 AM   #50
FixXxeR

Aww your all so nice to him. I'd just say fuck off Sky.
Old 13th Oct 2008, 02:11 PM   #51
sky-fiwa-

Aww your all so nice to him. I'd just say fuck off Sky.
Lolz, I feel so offended right now.

What I mean about "two" developing teams is that one group of a TEAM is working on ANOTHER conversion while ANOTHER one works on something else.

Last I checked, the GROUPS look something like this:

ASI:

* Dalai - Code
* Solaris - Art, Level Design, Audio
* Cythe - Art
* Omega - QA
* Afterswish - Audio

NB:

* Illuminus
* Immortius
* Nachimir
* oRGy
Old 14th Oct 2008, 02:59 AM   #52
FixXxeR

Great work detective. So is there a point to your rant or what?
Old 14th Oct 2008, 04:37 AM   #53
Inq

What he's saying, Fixxer, is that it would be more prudent for all of the team just to work on one project and get that done faster, and it's a point. Not one I personally agree with, but it's a valid comment with sense behind it, so it seems kind of harsh to blast the poor guy.

In my opinion, it's best to leave the teams pretty small and so that people don't get in each other's way and do things differently to one another. If you have one person coding, two people doing artwork (focusing on different areas), then it's all a lot more organised. I'm sure that if Immortius struggles at any point with the programming, he can go ask Dalai for help. Once one game is finished, presumably Alien Swarm first, then the members of that team can come along and help finish off Nightblade.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 05:07 AM   #54
FixXxeR

Yeah, I guess it's a fair point, for someone narrow sighted.

He is still totally missing that NB is a mod, being made in these peoples own time, purely driven by their own interests and desires. To provide a mod to everyone who wants to play it, who might be interested, or who might not be.

He also isn't mentioning that there is ongoing development for NB, albeit quiet, he can try it, critique on it, suggest on it, possibly even provide something towards it himself.

Instead he chose to sound out his obvious dissatisfaction in the way 'things are being run' with Black Cats development.

Hence my harsh, 'fuck off you annoying retard' statement.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 05:20 AM   #55
Inq

It was ungrateful, yeah. I can't argue with that. You're also right with what he could do instead of complaining, but it probably wouldn't encourage him to get involved in some way when he's being told to "fuck off". I just don't think that really helps when it comes to encouraging more interest in the projects.

These sort of topics unfortunately do appear to come up rather too often though.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 05:35 AM   #56
FixXxeR

Well, fuck off was my personal reaction to his initial statement, everyone else was reasonably nice to him as I pointed out.

Correct: it won't encourage him to join in the development rather than getting annoyed with it - but lets face it, how encouraged was he before for him to make his first post? mmmm.

We'll wait for his next post and see if there is anything constructive in it then.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 08:02 AM   #57
Inq

Well, I went easy on him because however poorly his point came across, I think it's a very real and valid point. It's the major concern really that the Nightblade/BCGs team isn't big enough.
Old 14th Oct 2008, 08:09 AM   #58
BiG_D
Super Moderator

You're probably reading too much into it. His recent post history is mostly just him complaining, mostly about Swarm. Let's just ignore him, shall we?
Old 14th Oct 2008, 11:30 AM   #59
-KewlAzMe-

Hence my harsh, 'fuck off you annoying retard' statement.
That was harsh? That's just your usual greeting
Old 14th Oct 2008, 02:21 PM   #60
FatRatHead

I wonder if dalai had anything to do with the initial idea of NightBlade and its first incarnations.

Tags
baked, wet kitten