Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion

Old 18th Oct 2005, 04:26 AM   #1
Convict

Grange weirdness

I was on ORJ looing for l33t hiding spots and in the room adjacent to the billiards room I was able to mantle directly onto the top of the fireplace and also onto the top of the open door. However in the next round (grange again - ORJ!!) I couldn't do it again nor could I do it again solo.

Can anyone help me figure out how to mantle up onto them again plz?
Convict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 04:41 AM   #2
Rodent

Location: Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
The reason your method doesn't work all the time is because of your 300 ping. If you catch me in game I can show an easier way.

edit- not in solo, that's weird.
Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 05:04 AM   #3
TafferBoy

cos there is a crouch delay with ping alot of the 'moves' don't work properly with lag or rather you have to try different methods.
TafferBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 05:29 AM   #4
Convict

Cheers Rodes I'll take u up on that offer!

Gladius I couldn't do it solo either which is weird.
Old 18th Oct 2005, 06:35 AM   #5
Rythmix
Banned

vine up to it, then crouch on the vine and slide over
Rythmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 06:37 AM   #6
Convict

Yeah but being able to jump straight up onto the fireplace or the door is far quicker and easier! And if you are on catfall it is silent. This is why it is important for me in-game (although now if I play ppl will be flare scanning it every time lol).
Old 18th Oct 2005, 09:14 AM   #7
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by Convict:
(although now if I play ppl will be flare scanning it every time lol).
Many of us already do.
Old 18th Oct 2005, 09:24 AM   #8
TafferBoy

Why we are on the topic...

Rythmix those random maps on your server make it hard to get onto and I doubt they get played much. I personally would stick with the official ones and maybe a few popular unofficial ones, I've never even heard of some of those ones you got! :O
Old 18th Oct 2005, 10:30 AM   #9
Brody

hmmmm.....

Thought No1: Which Advantage do you assume to take, once you posted this Place public......

Thought No2: Watch the Guards, you will notice, that this Spot is not an unknown. Guards do check these Places, too since a long while

Thievery Customs Centre
Vietcong Customs Centre
Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 10:59 AM   #10
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by TafferBoy:
Why we are on the topic...

Rythmix those random maps on your server make it hard to get onto and I doubt they get played much. I personally would stick with the official ones and maybe a few popular unofficial ones, I've never even heard of some of those ones you got! :O
Thanks for the Tip Tafferboy, I too have noticed that many of the custom maps are either more "thief" maps or just unliked. I do have all the maps on my server on redirect tho, so there shouldn't be any long downloads. But I will remove some of the custom ones today. From what I understand, people like: Highway Inn, City museum, and archery on occassion. I will leave those. Any other ones I should leave?
Old 18th Oct 2005, 11:11 AM   #11
Grank

I always liked to leave a couple really small maps for those times when there where only 2 people on the server. Country Abode was one of them but I can't remember the others.
Grank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 11:55 AM   #12
necros

CountryAbode2.unr
Kamasutra.unr
Monastery76.unr
Old 18th Oct 2005, 01:41 PM   #13
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by Grank:
I always liked to leave a couple really small maps for those times when there where only 2 people on the server. Country Abode was one of them but I can't remember the others.

Good call on the small maps.

Typically Bourgeios is my small map choice, but I hear kamasutra and Country Abode can be fun as well.
Old 18th Oct 2005, 02:09 PM   #14
Swiss Mercenary

The most important map that you should have on the server is Th-Crates. Everything else is crap.
Old 18th Oct 2005, 03:23 PM   #15
Loony

Th-chatspace, obviously :p Can't think of too many that get played often.

Th-Kingsofthedesert
Th-Lordbeck (?)
Th-Cult (?)

Last edited by Loony; 18th Oct 2005 at 03:37 PM.
Loony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 05:31 PM   #16
necros

Th-Kingsofthedesert
Fun - but camper's heaven

Th-Lordbeck (?)
Never played

Th-Cult (?)
Way too big...
Old 18th Oct 2005, 05:42 PM   #17
Radamanthus

[QUOTE=Loony]Th-chatspace, obviously :p Can't think of too many that get played often.

Th-Kingsofthedesert
Not too good, actually. Easy for guards to win, and an experiencedthief CAN win, but it's rather difficult.

Th-Lordbeck
Small, but very easy for thieves due to it's immense amount of shadow.

Th-Cult
Wonderfuly designed, a beauty for aesthetics and atmophere, but slower computers just can't handle it.
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 05:44 PM   #18
necros

[QUOTE=Radamanthus]
 Originally Posted by Loony:
Th-Cult
Wonderfuly designed, a beauty for aesthetics and atmophere, but slower computers just can't handle it.
It's also far too big for any decent game...

and chatspace is just funny... hit the button and u r teh win
Old 18th Oct 2005, 06:23 PM   #19
Firetiger

[advert]

Pssst!

http://forums.blackcatgames.com/showthread.php?t=6136

[/advert]
Old 18th Oct 2005, 07:46 PM   #20
TafferBoy

I've got a fair load of the custom maps and many are very good, but there are some on your server that I don't have and never heard of like th-crates and stuff. Its ok if people rarely play it, because at least people can still join the server and change map.

and things like Th-district I've never played online ever heh.
Old 18th Oct 2005, 08:07 PM   #21
Rythmix
Banned

ok I've removed most of the excess.
Old 18th Oct 2005, 08:37 PM   #22
Fuzzy Bunny

Th-Crates is meant to be a Thief Match map for 4 people. It's got 4 thief spawns that land you on an little island composed entirely of breakable crates. The goal is to either kill the other 3 thieves with arrows, or to shoot out their stack of crates and let them fall into the lava.
Fuzzy Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Oct 2005, 08:46 PM   #23
Shug

District is good for epilepsy diagnosis online
Shug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2005, 01:00 AM   #24
Swiss Mercenary

Or shoot yourself a foothold on the enemy platform, and speed-potion jump across.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 03:13 AM   #25
Convict

Back on topic, another hiding spot I found that I was mantling straight up (multiple times) on I can no longer do... weird.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 11:26 AM   #26
necros

It's like the big window in bourgois attic... sometimes i can jump straight into it all the time...

then some random time, it takes me like 10 jumps, and 2 Health Pots later to get in... :|
Old 19th Oct 2005, 12:19 PM   #27
Scrawprin

Originally Posted by Shug:
District is good for epilepsy diagnosis online
Off topic:
I can't find the thread at the moment, but there is a version of District released that fixed that issue. Team ORJ has it hosted, but I know Brody and others host it too.

UPDATE:
Here is the thread discussing fixing of the lighting in The District map.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 02:56 PM   #28
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by necros:
It's like the big window in bourgois attic... sometimes i can jump straight into it all the time...

then some random time, it takes me like 10 jumps, and 2 Health Pots later to get in... :|
Good example.

But I think that maybe related to the ladder bug where if you jump halfway up a ladder and fall off, you can no longer climb the ladder. Don't think its ping/lag related but not sure.
Old 19th Oct 2005, 03:13 PM   #29
PhaeThorn

Location: This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
There is no ladder bug, atleast not really. If you press the jump key when you're on a ladder, your player will no longer be attached to the ladder. The reason for this all is so that the players can actually jump off the ladder. In the older versions you'd be stuck to the ladder unless you reached the top or went back to the bottom. Anyhow, you will not be attached to the ladder unless you move out of it's radius and then go back.

About the bourgeois mantle thing ... it has something to do with heights. I have no proof of this, but I have a feeling that the player's radius ( height ) sometimes doesn't fully go back to it's orriginal radius after you've crouched. Your radius is a tiny bit shorter and you cannot mantle as heigh as before. Usually this doesn't matter much, at all, but when the mantle spot is already on the very edge of being possible, the shorter height will prevent you from going up. The mantle spot is then simply too heigh for your player to mantle. After I crouch and uncrouch a few times it's sometimes fixed and I can mantle up again. There is a simular spot in asylum too, if you try to mantle up the vent near the dinning hall.
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE
PhaeThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Oct 2005, 03:28 PM   #30
Rythmix
Banned

Originally Posted by PhaeThorn:
There is no ladder bug, atleast not really. If you press the jump key when you're on a ladder, your player will no longer be attached to the ladder. The reason for this all is so that the players can actually jump off the ladder. In the older versions you'd be stuck to the ladder unless you reached the top or went back to the bottom. Anyhow, you will not be attached to the ladder unless you move out of it's radius and then go back.
Well there is a ladder problem. Im not referring to being able to jump off the ladder, but when you jump off the ladder, you need to leave the collision area of the ladder actor before you can climb up it again. Its a problem resulting from a feature.

Originally Posted by PhaeThorn:
About the bourgeois mantle thing ... it has something to do with heights. I have no proof of this, but I have a feeling that the player's radius ( height ) sometimes doesn't fully go back to it's orriginal radius after you've crouched. Your radius is a tiny bit shorter and you cannot mantle as heigh as before. Usually this doesn't matter much, at all, but when the mantle spot is already on the very edge of being possible, the shorter height will prevent you from going up. The mantle spot is then simply too heigh for your player to mantle. After I crouch and uncrouch a few times it's sometimes fixed and I can mantle up again. There is a simular spot in asylum too, if you try to mantle up the vent near the dinning hall.
Yea I think you may be right about the height after crouch thing. You could actually put this to test I think if in the in-game console you type: get thieverymod.playerppawn height or something to that effect (not sure of the exact command). Ill try it out when I get home.