X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • immortius
    • Jan 2003

Immortius Journal Entry - 31/12/2007

I have been continuing to work on the code. At first I was focusing on doors and door related systems, and so I've implemented the following:

- Door locking and unlocking with keys
    - Thievery style lockpicking by using lockpicks on a door for a length of time
    - Door damage, resulting in the door eventually breaking and staying unlocked.
    - Door repair with a repair kit.
    - Door sound effects

These necessitated implementing a number of basic features, like the ability to use items on a frob target and the ability to hold down the use button to use an item for a period of time.

After that I did a bit of work with Dalai on getting the stealth system working. I'm happy to report that the stealth system is now implemented and players become translucent to invisible in shadows. Still need to make stuff attached to players translucent too, like their weapons.

When working on UnrealScript I try to always keep the following desires in mind: Cheat prevention, low-bandwidth consumption and client-side responsiveness.

Cheat prevention is mostly a matter of ensuring that the server is boss and that anything the client sends is checked for sanity. An example of this is the frob command - the server checks to ensure that what the client is frobbing is within frob range, and not on the other side of the world.

Keeping bandwidth usage low is a matter of ensuring data is only exchanged where necessary and making sure that data is kept to a reasonable size. Avoiding string replication where possible is good. Having information baked within a map so clients always have it is good too.

Client-side responsiveness is a bit of illusion, but is generally achieved by having the client assume something will work and play sounds and display effects immediately rather than waiting for a message to be received by the server and the result to be returned. An example is having lockpicks start making their noise immediately on the client, rather than waiting for the server to create the lockpicking noise.
    Last edited by immortius; 30 Dec 2007, 09:12 PM.
    Immortius' Forge
  • SpamSlayer
    • Sep 2003

Originally posted by immortius View Post
    After that I did a bit of work with Dalai on getting the stealth system working. I'm happy to report that the stealth system is now implemented and players become translucent to invisible in shadows. Still need to make stuff attached to players translucent too, like their weapons.
    yay your my hero lol - thx for keeping posted ><
    SSSSSPPPPPAAAAAMMMMM 44444 EEEEEVVVVVEEEEEAAAAA!!!!!

Comment

• Gullonefox
      • May 2002

How abouteeking through locks, and stealth opening? (No sound)
      Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

• )!(Uruk-Hai)!(
        Banned
        • Jul 2007

oO? And stealth death, and stealth jump, stealth walk on light places.

Comment

• immortius
          • Jan 2003

At the moment I'm trying to focus on a broad range of basic functionality rather than getting to deep into a single area. Those are interesting ideas though.

For stealth opening - what exactly did you have in mind? Thieves always opening doors silently, some sort of item to make a door silent permanently, an option to open a door silently at some cost like slow opening? Or something else?

At any rate, the balance and gameplay implications would need to be considered.
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

• FixXxeR
            • Jan 2003

There was a game (Soldier Of Fortune 2, strangely enough) that had a system where if you had 'walk' pressed when opening a door, it opened slowly, and if you where running the door flew open.

Maybe something like that?

Peeking through doors would be extremely useful. You could do like a scouting orb view from the middle of the door or something.
            -TuF- Emptying clan servers of their own clan members since 2010
            - Agg moderator campaign supporter 2011
            - #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
            -YT

Comment

• )!(Uruk-Hai)!(
              Banned
              • Jul 2007

btw was that not in thief 1, looks throught doors?

Comment

• Omega
                • Jan 2003

No it wasn't. Eavesdropping was only introduced in Thief 2 if I remember correctly.

Comment

• )!(Uruk-Hai)!(
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2007

anyway im glad that doors in NB from nw, are not just to geting closed, and opened only.

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by FixXxeR View Post
                    There was a game (Soldier Of Fortune 2, strangely enough) that had a system where if you had 'walk' pressed when opening a door, it opened slowly, and if you where running the door flew open.

Maybe something like that?
                    To further expand.. perhaps there can be a general "creep modifier" button that does everything a bit "quieter" while held. This of course shouldn't be without penalty.. so assume quieter to mean slower.

I guess some potential applications could be:
                    - Pull bow back slower
                    - Slow door open
                    - Slow/quiet lock picking
                    - Slow walking/crouch walking
                    I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

• Gullonefox
                      • May 2002

Originally posted by -KewlAzMe- View Post
                      To further expand.. perhaps there can be a general "creep modifier" button that does everything a bit "quieter" while held. This of course shouldn't be without penalty.. so assume quieter to mean slower.

I guess some potential applications could be:
                      - Pull bow back slower
                      - Slow door open
                      - Slow/quiet lock picking
                      - Slow walking/crouch walking
                      That was going to be my reply!

You see, when running from guards your motions/actions are generally loud - such as slamming doors and running. On the other hand sneaking and general creeping around could be context sensitive - as in holding stealth/creep button down while performing actions. (Or toggle)

Also, have you thought about including the perks system from COD 4 - or something like it? Doing so may add depth/progression to thievery ut3, which, to be honest I feel it needs. The sense of progression would be highly rewarding. (Loot gained buys things)

Also, I suggest you guys re-evaluate much of the gameplay, example: guards having radar, motion detection or other such mechanics. Recently Thievery has become a little frustrating, waiting for matches to end ruins the fun! speed games up - keep thieves on the move, as skill should be based on fast stealth like reactions, not sitting in a shadow for 25 minuets.

Anyway best of luck.
                      Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

• -KewlAzMe-
                        • Sep 2005

Keep Guards busy is an important thing too. The idea of Guard Objectives is on the right path, but think of things that they could do that would also force the thieves to speed up.

For example, think of Penumbra... there is a generator, but you need to first find gas for it. But you can't add gas until you find the gas hose. Then you need to find the switch to turn it on. Imagine the main Penumbra player is the Guard Team. Now that the generator is turned on, new lights come on around the map, offering the thieves less shadows so they have to move quick.

This is a passive objective but more helpful than throwing a dead body into a grave.

Some other ideas (all of which are patent pending):

- Guards can bring cement blocks to a hole in the property wall to fix the hole. Then you need to find the mortar and tools to put it together. All of the above materials could be randomly spawned around the map. The end result will be that thieves have to find another, presumably more difficult, way out.

- The Security system is old and unkempt. Find the parts of the Watcher heads and put them together with the tools. Then find the switch to the main security power and turn the alarms on. Now there is better monitoring for guards and thieves need to be more careful

- Sgt Flavio and his squad look more like Robin Hood's drunken Merry Men. Find the right brew of potions to sober them up and make them more useful at guarding and patrolling. This means the thieves will have to watch carefully for more guards.

All of the above:
                        A) Keep thieves moving
                        B) Keep Guards busy
                        C) Are passive and not required, but helpful if completed.
                        I'd Be More Apathetic... If I Wasn't So Lethargic

Comment

• Firetiger
                          • Jun 2003

You know, the "creep modifier" is exactly like Assassin's Creed. Everything you do is "low profile" until you hold the right trigger which puts you in "high profile" mode, where "gentle push" turns to "tackle", etc.

It's actually a great way to do this, and you effectively get two full sets of actions from the same buttons, and as long as it stays intuitive, it's not confusing either.
                          <-- Resident Nightblade suggestion attorney...

Comment

• Gullonefox
                            • May 2002

Guards with their own objectives? Never much liked this idea...
                            Simple put guards should hunt down thieves constantly, thats their objective - not running around the map performing actions that need not be done.

Guards need motion trackers or something like it.

Also, how about rewards, for example: Kill a thief 50 loot, capture a thief via a Guard KO 300 loot. Use loot to buy new items and weapons.

Thoughts?
                            Chimp off the old Block

Game Designer

Comment

• )!(Uruk-Hai)!(
                              Banned
                              • Jul 2007

greetings Counter Strike i would say.

Comment

Working...
                              X