Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Mapping

Old 1st Jul 2012, 05:28 PM   #91
Antero90

A taffer peaks at the door...

Old 2nd Jul 2012, 07:01 PM   #92
FatRatHead

Man I need to quit my job and get back to this.
FatRatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Apr 2013, 08:39 AM   #93
Antero90

The project is still alive. General layout has been stable for the last year, my rule of thumb has been to keep it simple.
The room pictured above is now 90% complete. The the remaining 10% being stuff related to mapping the «outside» and some advanced collision actors.
Since I am away from UED most of the day I am pre-planning, think about what I could add and later in the day try in UED. It's working quite well, since all the troubleshooting about «does it look good?» is adressed at this point. So UED get's a very late version of my idea that is more functional.

I am now moving to a smaller adjacent room. This should force me to start learning about decoration and also taking some small adventures.
Old 18th Aug 2013, 09:09 PM   #94
Dalai
Project Lead

How many rooms is it in total?
Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Sep 2013, 10:11 AM   #95
Antero90

Originally Posted by Dalai: ( link to post ) 
How many rooms is it in total?
Sorry Dalai, for some reason I did not see your post earlier.
Well... I just had a look at my planned layout and it's roughly above 20 rooms, not including the outside sections, only one has been planned, the other one I really have no idea how will be made.
However that's about half of my original design which was gigantic. I may post the whole thing some day to show the evolution of it.

I have now officially transfered this map to my working computer, it's an old Pentium M computer but it work ok (sometimes has speed issues), I spent the last 2 days improving this room on the image below, I believe it is quite close to being finished. An no, I have no fear of my bosses, I have a whole room all for myself and it's very well placed to spot incoming intruders.

As I wrote above, I moved into an adjacent room, it may look familiar to an earlier screenshot, but it's a new room, I am just trying to keep the same style, this one is still unfinished, planning on completing it now.

I am still using the one room at the time aproach, which has been resulting in the final rooms being actually different from what I had planned, for the better I hope.
Old 15th Oct 2013, 04:53 PM   #96
Antero90

Geometry is finally taking shape. The biggest issue so far has not been size but finishing, I literally threw everything in the room pictured above to the point where I have nothing else to do but tap BSP holes which is really just one I found 5 minutes ago.
My biggest issue at this point is the outside. I have no idea how I will do that, tho I have been think about doing a wild experiment by deintersecting a giant brush. The good news is that if I figure it out I may atempt to map the whole outside instead of just a section.
Old 15th Oct 2013, 05:06 PM   #97
Trapmaster

The more complex brushes are, the worse the BSP ratio will become (De)-intersecting usually results into more complex brushes .

There are different approaches for an outside area. I would suggest building an outside area with the buildings placed, then overlap the inside area with it and set the order to "last".
Old 16th Oct 2013, 03:09 PM   #98
Antero90

Eh! How ironic.
Today I was using a simple cube (ok, maybe it was a slightly big cube, but it was not scalled or anything) and it seems I hit some sort of native black hole. Essentially I cannot place anything in that area or I will have a BSP hole. I used the tyipical portuguese aproach and circunvented the problematic area.
I am now focusing a bit more on general geometry, throwing in the basic brushes and connecting as much as I can, did a quick stop to experiment on alarms, everything works except the light, im sure I messed with the wrong timer settings, but it was very rewarding getting the alarm to work as I always intended on the first try.
I also did that experiment with deintersect to create an outside area, after some fifling I was able to create a shell of my level, but still nothing I can work with yet, will get back to it later after I am done with most of the level.
Old 28th Oct 2013, 09:22 AM   #99
Antero90

Last week I have been essentially crunching basic geometry. I am happy to report that 80% of the basic geometry is done. I also managed to order a crate of grues to fight off the candies and the noises have died out a bit, which means I will be doing some experiments on how best to map the outside sections in a way that it integrates well with the already existing areas, so unless I find a way to cheat it, there will be no big brush on the outside.
I have been working on this map every day for a month now, with each week I feel more confident with the workings of UED 2, the phase of giving up is behind but a ton is still left to do. With some luck I should be able to have a working version sometime after 1.7 is available.
Old 29th Oct 2013, 06:15 AM   #100
Przemek557

About BSP: Use semisolids whenever possible, it worked for me. I have once written a tutorial on semisolids, but it's gone with Tomcats forums. use them for every decorative item, even as simple as a crate. Just remember that semisolids shouldn't touch any other brush with just a part of its side, or it may be missing, or semisolid may become ghost like. Semisolids can touch other brushes with their whole sides and they are fine.
for example: If you have a large crate and a small one at the top of it, you shouldn't be making them both semisolids, for the one at the bottom will touch the small one only with a part of its top side. It would be better to intersect them into one brush, and make it semisolid.

Here is a screenshot of a spot on my map:

Here is the same spot with semisolids highlighted:

Here is the Zone/Portal view:

You can see some complex brushes - especially the fountain and the arcs do not interfere with the rest of the map by cutting it with lines coming of their edges. The semisolids themselves may look quite complex, but it does not matter. With or without them, the zone/portal view of the solid geometry would be the same.

I believe that with a proper use of semisolids, UnrealEd can be used to create very detailed and satisfactory in performance (since semisolids improve it a bit as well) levels.

Actually I've on my HDD the screenshots I used for the semisolids tutorial:
http://imageshack.us/gal.php?id=q5Sk2NLsyZrj1NyS
the first shows a simple level without semisolids, the next one its zone/portal view, the fourth the same level, but with semisolids, the third its z/p view. the fifth one shows yet another demo with solids, and the sixth one, the same demo with spikes made semisolids.
Old 29th Oct 2013, 07:43 PM   #101
Antero90

You sure have spent more time than me in UED! I have used some stuff over the walls for decoration, but nothing like the above!

I haven't gone much into semi-solids yet. But I do have a question, is it safe to convert "blue" brushes to semi-solids later? I have a ton of adictive pillars lying around the map, nothing too complicated in shape, must are just rectangles, but I would liek to turn them into semi-solids later.
Old 1st Nov 2013, 07:30 AM   #102
Keggie

In theory you can convert brushes at any point to any format but i'd be careful, semi solids come with their own problems.. use them when needed, not just because you can.
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Nov 2013, 08:15 AM   #103
Trapmaster

Semi solids affect bsp. And they can also turn your ratio higher so using them all time is not recommended. (And espcially, big brushes are rarely recommended ).
Old 1st Nov 2013, 08:41 PM   #104
Antero90

Reporting in.

Unlike previous occasions this time my experiment was as a success, tho not achieved without pain, battled a BSP hole for 2 straight hours. Yes, the hole won in the end but I learned my lesson and got the job done the proper way.

This detour means I made little geometry work these past days, I will now look into get that done since it's now holding overall progress. But I can say that unless something real bad happens you will be able to use the rooftops. There may be some limits, but only if it means balancing certain elements.
Old 2nd Nov 2013, 07:39 AM   #105
Antero90

Here is a screenie from the latest build, lights are temporary

Old 8th Nov 2013, 02:39 PM   #106
Antero90

08-11-2013

This week has been spent mostly on debugging geometry. But I did complete some things I had planned for this week.
The major development is that you can now circle around the whole compound, which means basic outside geometry is complete. There are still about 3 or 4 rooms to be placed inside but I will get to them very shortly.

The easy part is ending. Soon I will have to drop the hammer and pickaxe and go into decoration mode.
Old 11th Nov 2013, 12:11 AM   #107
Dr.Flay

There is a forest of decos to choose from. You don't need to use the tobio trees or any standard ones (the ones in ChaosUT are animated ).
You can find a bunch more decos here (including reactive decos).
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/ws-decos
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournamen...ting-resources
Dr.Flay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Nov 2013, 06:01 PM   #108
Antero90

The last two weeks have been slower in progression. Partly because of a more busy work shedule but also because I am experimenting with decorations and adjusting brushes. The goblin has been toying me all this time as well. He has taken over a whole section of the map and likes to flash his latern hole while I am busy, he goes silent when I am done, so I am guessing he has been enjoying the map so far. Still some rooms yet to be done but I have a dozen yet to be filled.
Old 7th Dec 2013, 06:45 AM   #109
Antero90

07-12-2013

In the past week and a half no work has been done, partially because I had to lend a hand at the farm (it's olive season) and also due to having to replace a soon to be ex-collegue (thank god for retarded work laws, seems I need to advance warn my employeer by 2 months that I am leaving).
I am in sort of a blank for inside decorations so I am now trying to get the outside as finished as possible, most areas have been populated now except for the exit area that still needs some digging, (tip, bring your wetsuits). Basic lightning has been placed as well but they need tweaking.
This doe not mean the inside is empty, I already have a few rooms completed or very close to completition, its just that some rooms require custom made shapes like chests and it takes some time to make everything look right. I am also trying to get see through windows to work, by spying into other maps it seems the only way to make it work is to cheat with a solid invisible brush. Most doors are in place as well and only one section remains so I can call basic geometry done.
You probably noticed the lack of screenies, im trying to keep as much as hidden since I don't want to reveal too much, part of the fun in TuT is about learning the place, but a few more close up teasers may follow.
Old 15th Dec 2013, 04:57 PM   #110
Antero90

15-12-2013

I finally figured out how to finish the remaining section. If all falls into place basic geometry should be completed in the next week. Which means I will be out of excuses not to finish the level.

Outside sections have been filled mostly, a couple windows remain to be placed. Objective locations have been established for a while now, but I still have no idea how to organize loot. Lightning still needs tweaking. Ah yes, Still needs the AI part too.
Old 15th Dec 2013, 06:54 PM   #111
Dalai
Project Lead

Good to see these regular update posts! Looking forward to playing the map.
Dalai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Dec 2013, 02:37 PM   #112
Antero90

18-12-2013

I know it's not friday yet, but today I finally dialed in the last significant changes to my map. The holiday season is also aproachign so I will be sort of busy next week.

Basic geometry is complete!

What this means is that all rooms have been brushed. The map should be in it's final shape, bar any sudden problems.

Outside areas are also done and quite close to being finished actually. Thief spawn has been made and the exit area awaits only for the lazy mapper to place the actor.

What remains to be done:

- lights, some are in place but need tweaking, many areas remain in the dark
- AI, with the geometry finished I can start placing nodes and routes
- decorations, ranges from adictive brushes to prefabs
- loot
- tons of testing
- keep the goblin in good mood
Old 13th Jan 2014, 03:41 PM   #113
Antero90

13-01-2013

Once again I survived my uncle's Excess Xmas Dinner. Tho it must be said that I did some excess on my part as well. This year I filled my bag with mostly old time classics. Also took some time to check out Tut 1.7, felt great to have company on a game for change.

Ahem!

One of the bigger (and empty) rooms has been finished today, or at least most of. Sometimes it's a pain to get things right, but when it finally works, it works well.

I am now an adept of collision hulls, much more practical and easy. It's no wonder that in UDK the job of setting collions if left to the mapper, cilinders work fine for square stuff like chairs, but for the rest it get's funky.

I am also enjoying creating my custom furniture, it gives me some freedom in design AND avoids having to overlap stuff with collision hulls.

Decorations will continue, I am aproaching some half-done areas again but a few large ones still remain. ETA remains unknown because some areas will take longer, but I would say I have about 40% of the whole map decorated.

As a teaser, here's how it looks like in wireframe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg piccy.jpg (250.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 14th Jan 2014, 11:17 AM   #114
Keggie

just dont look back, the goblin will be after you
Videos - YouTube
Old 25th Jan 2014, 06:45 AM   #115
Antero90

25-01-2014

To buy M&M X or not....

Er.. ahem!

One of the big empty spaces has been filled now, feedback so far has been positive. This means there is already a substantial chunck of the map done, I would say it'0s about half done, unfortunatley there are still a couple big sections to be done but I will get to them shortly.

It's a bit odd looking at the map now, sometimes I ask myself, "Did I really do all this?".

Next week I will delve into some smaller sections and then atack the final empty spaces.
Old 9th Feb 2014, 06:33 AM   #116
Antero90

09-02-2014

Busy than usual shedule these past days meant that I had little time to devote to the large areas still left.
So I spent that time experimenting with elevators. After much trial and error I finally got the elevator I wanted partially, thanks in much to the custom actor created by BCG. The elevator works as I intenteded but I still need to figure out a system of doors that doesn't bug.
Old 11th May 2014, 01:30 PM   #117
Antero90

11-05-2014

Work on the map has officially restarted today.
Since the last post work has been more off than on because of issues related to work. That's out of the way now so I can now focus again on elevators and getting more rooms complete.

The door system had me bugging for a while. The problem lies in the fact that the actor makes a stop at each event even if that is not the destination event. So making a door system that works required some compromises, im not happy with the solution but this will have to do.
Old 12th May 2014, 06:28 AM   #118
Trapmaster

Too bad every development of Thievery has stopped. But the map looks nice indeed . Pretty good for a first-time project .
Old 12th May 2014, 11:58 AM   #119
Maxim Pishnyak

Originally Posted by Trapmaster: ( link to post ) 
Too bad every development of Thievery has stopped.
Except www.thief-haven.com
Maxim Pishnyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2014, 04:01 AM   #120
Keggie

That doesnt look like a development of thievery, looks more like a website to me

Nice to hear Antero, its a rather creative map and will be good to finally play a finished version of it drop me a line when you've got another beta running
Videos - YouTube