Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Guilds

Old 14th Mar 2005, 08:45 PM   #1
Shug

Mockers v Mutants - Move II - Spider

The sunday timeslot worked well for us, and it seemed to be fine for you guys - it would be desireable to set that up as a default match day for us and probably for you as well, unless you have any other suggestions?

Last time it was 11am GMT for the Brits / 12 midday for the Swedes / 9 pm for me and Rodent and 10pm for Gladius. We'd be willing to go earlier if necessary but preferably no later, particularly with work/uni commitments on a monday morning.
Shug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2005, 02:33 AM   #2
Aggamemnon

It's the most suitable time for the majority of our players, is fitting in both matches a possibility for your lot?
Aggamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2005, 02:37 AM   #3
TafferBoy

I would prefer not, although we could run both at the same time, a week apart.
TafferBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2005, 02:48 AM   #4
PhaeThorn

Location: This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
Getting up at 12 am .... again .... for twee weeks? Are you trying to kill me?

BTW, there is a guildwars weekend going on soon ... like this weekend. Some players might not want to miss it. I for one would like to play guildwars ... but if there is a match I'll play the match instead.
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE
PhaeThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2005, 03:09 AM   #5
Machine

UGH!, MUTANTS MAD! U ATTACK MUTANTS! MUTANTS KILL! 1,2,UH MORE THAN 2! MUTANTS SMASH PUNY MOCKER!

I'm up for either, tho I would prefer to play them both on the same day, I'll let you know if I'm definate for this Sunday probably tommorow.
Old 15th Mar 2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Shug

If we're gonna play them both in a row might have to start early or exactly on the dot at the very least.

Also, if it's this Sunday I can't make it - I turn 20 on the weekend and I'll be shouted gold class movie tickets on the Sunday night.

I'm pretty sure I'll be a goer for next weekend if we want to do that.
Old 15th Mar 2005, 09:02 AM   #7
PhaeThorn

Well, the guildwars story for upcoming weekend is also a factor but I'll have a very busy week till next week, friday. This means I can't play on a normal weekday. So like shug, next week's weekend is also good for me. There is no guildwars then and the busy time is over aswell
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 15th Mar 2005, 09:08 AM   #8
Machine

Ok, We'll try for Sunday 27th March? What time are we talking here considering we'll have 2 matches.
Old 15th Mar 2005, 12:07 PM   #9
Aggamemnon

upto two hours prior (helps mockers) or one over (for phae's nap time) is okay for me
Aggamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th Mar 2005, 01:31 PM   #10
Machine

I'd prolly be ok for a 10:30am GMT Start, but not much earlier..
Old 15th Mar 2005, 05:31 PM   #11
Shug

10:30 am GMT would be fine for me (8:30 pm for me and Rodent, 9:30pm for Gladius)
Old 16th Mar 2005, 02:18 AM   #12
TafferBoy

Perfect for me, consider it a date gentlemen.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 03:21 AM   #13
Machine

Just need confirmation from our guys, specially Phae (sleepy-cannot-get-up-in-the-morning DNA)
Old 16th Mar 2005, 05:13 AM   #14
TafferBoy

I can relate to that.
Old 16th Mar 2005, 10:11 AM   #15
Archie

Well, I can't make it so you have to go on without me each sunday, I'm currently packin' for a trip to Korfu, It's easter over here so I took the opportunity travel some, really sorry, but I'm quite sure both teams will do good, may the best team win.
Archie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th Mar 2005, 10:36 AM   #16
Machine

Damn Archie, was hoping specificly you could be there Well, have a good time anyway.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 07:29 AM   #17
Machine

Mockers won both rounds, very well played on spider by Mockers some close rounds there.

Aqua was tight, but I'd like to discuss the map break you used on the final round. I know Bill has stated that all is fair, but what you were doing breaks Aquatone beyond ANY thief team. DM, ghost or otherwise. Having a guard up at the top of the shaft, bouncing the lift everytime it's moved is... unless I'm mistaken... unbeatable.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 07:34 AM   #18
TafferBoy

Originally Posted by TW-Rules:
VII - No cheating. Note that the only in-game exploit that is covered under this is taking advantage of a desynced client -- everything else is fair game.
Thats my understanding of it. I look to Bill.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 07:38 AM   #19
Machine

Yep, fair enough, and if Bill enforces it and accepts that it's ok, then, despite my very strong belief that such an exploit basicly means that NOBODY can EVER take Aquatone from you guys then so be it. As much as I think that would suck, he's in charge of this particular tournament.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 07:48 AM   #20
PhaeThorn

About spider: Well played. You got very close in that second round but so have we on our second round on aquatone. Well played on the first round.

About aquatone: there was no rule about it, we didn't know about it, we lost on aquatone, fair and square. But like mach says it does break the map because there is no chance that you can win the map anymore. So it's a point of discussion for any future matches.

Guards got the elevator up somehow, guards got it stuck and that all within a very short time. Even if we had gone up with the elevator i'm pretty sure you still go into your position. If a thief went up with the elevator, the elevator would have blocked any arrow or KO. So basicly that guard is safe up there. Therefor it break the map and makes a win on aquatone near to impossible. It doesn't just make it hard, it completely breaks the map as far as we know it now. This not only break the game, it also break the tournament for a part aswell because there is no way that the team who has aquatone can lose it. So there is no way of getting that team out of the tournament with taking all their maps. So the only way of winning of getting more maps than the team that has aqua.

We'll see what the future bring and what bill has to say about it. for now us mutants lost. Don't worry though, you can never defeat a virus. A virus can change form and shape, there is no cure for it. We had a setback but we shall come back again

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 27th Mar 2005, 08:02 AM   #21
TafferBoy

Also I'll like to discuss that thing with the times to avoid future problems.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 08:05 AM   #22
immortius

Originally Posted by PhaeThorn:
We'll see what the future bring and what bill has to say about it. for now us mutants lost. Don't worry though, you can never defeat a virus. A virus can change form and shape, there is no cure for it. We had a setback but we shall come back again
You're confusing learning with mutation. An individual virus doesn't change form and shape, when each virus is created it is slightly different from it's parent, and as the weak strains die the strong ones continue and produce more.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 10:02 AM   #23
okih-imus

lol @ immortius
okih-imus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Mar 2005, 10:53 AM   #24
Machine

Originally Posted by TafferBoy:
Also I'll like to discuss that thing with the times to avoid future problems.
The time issue as I saw it was we in England are in the GMT timezone, the clocks went forward and the time here was whatever, your time as I understood is my time +10 hours, and is still that now. Just as Phaethorn is still 1 hour ahead of me even after the changes.

The time stated in the thread to begin I believed to be the time for those in the GMT timezone, that being 10:30AM on 27th March. So we waited for 1 hour before you guys arrived.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 01:04 PM   #25
WildBill

GMT never changes -- looks like you got confused with British Summer time starting today and moving clocks forward an hour. Mutants were an hour early. ^_^
Old 27th Mar 2005, 01:54 PM   #26
WildBill

Mockers didn't break the rules in their creative defense of Aquatone in that final round, although it was a wee bit lame. The match stands.

This exploit -- and others that rely on the same trick -- are fixed in Thievery 1.5. While I ask the Mockers and anyone else who may hold Aquatone to be gentlemen and not use this exploit while it lasts, I won't force it.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 02:05 PM   #27
PhaeThorn

That is wrong Wildbill ( not about the rules, because they did win fairly ) but about the problem being fixed in 1.5. The guards got the elevator up dispite the 1.5 serverpatch that was on the server. This online patch HAS the fix for the button, so basicly they found away around it and therefor the button problem it is NOT fixed in 1.5 .

Though the issue is not getting the elevator up as far as I know now. The problem is the blocking of the elevator. There is no way the elevator will come down and there is no way thieves can stop the guards from sitting in that spot. Even if the rest of the guards die, the guard that is blocking the elevator can sit and wait for the time to run out. Even if guards couldn't get the elevator up themselves, it still can be done by the guards. With a lucky move from the thieves they can get up and still block the elevator and break the map.

My 2 cents

*edit*

There IS a solution though, since there will be a patch anyway I could just aswell fix the problem. There are so many problems with the elevator at the moment. For example thieves that somehow do not die on that elevator ( eventhough they took over 300 Dmg ) , the elevator being blocked by people, chests elevators, etc. It will not take long at all and there is an easy solution for the problem. I'll take a look at the map and talk to the people in charge. If they don't agree, I atleast tried.

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 27th Mar 2005, 02:17 PM   #28
WildBill

That is wrong Wildbill ( not about the rules, because they did win fairly ) but about the problem being fixed in 1.5. The guards got the elevator up dispite the 1.5 serverpatch that was on the server. This online patch HAS the fix for the button, so basicly they found away around it and therefor the button problem it is NOT fixed in 1.5 .
I'm confident this'll be fixed in Thievery 1.5 -- I'm talking with Dalai about it, and think I know why the fix failed in this case. If by bad luck and persistance this bug manages to avoid being vanquished, I'll patch the map myself and release a special version for this tournament.
Old 27th Mar 2005, 02:28 PM   #29
PhaeThorn

But as said, the block is the issue, not the button. Will there be a fix for that too?

Call 0900-PHAE
Old 27th Mar 2005, 02:35 PM   #30
WildBill

But as said, the block is the issue, not the button. Will there be a fix for that too?
The reason blocking is an issue is because guards can use the lift on their own -- this should not be possible. If the thieves are careless enough to allow the guards access to the top of the elevator, that's their tough luck.

I don't like that elevator -- never have -- but I'm willing to accept that it might just be a nightmare choke point that requires care for thieves.

Last edited by WildBill; 27th Mar 2005 at 02:46 PM.
WildBill is offline   Reply With Quote