Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 21st Jan 2008, 02:48 PM   #1
Johnathan

Audio Drama (Need suggestions)

idea for an audio drama told from the perspective of a soldier during a new civil war.

This story would be set on the backdrop of an Orwellian world where people's civil liberties are pretty much supplanted and people either live within large cities dominated by corporate and government authority or they live on the fringes and in small collectives, destitute to say the least.

My basic plot outline is something along the lines of this soldier being part of a resistance movement to overthrow what it believes is a tyrannical government (along with it's corporate overseers/partners). This soldier is part of a larger unit which has its own headquarters and we'd also go over how they live and that kind of thing.

Quasi cyberpunk-ish and dystopian, this story would be kinda short. Maybe 4 60 minute episodes or so. My big problem right now is figuring out how I'd go about doing it. The writing is one thing and recording quite another. . . Does anyone have any tips for a newbie to this kind of thing?

I know this might not be an idea board for it but I know a lot of people are into sound stuff so any help would be appriciated.
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 11:20 AM   #2
FixXxeR

I don't know a thing about this kind of stuff.

D:
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
FixXxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 02:13 PM   #3
Thebos

For equipment, the article linked above does a good overview, and the equipment suggestions are good. There are other options that might be chaper though, depending on what your budget is. Just remeber to make a quality recording, you will need quality equipment, and this stuff is not cheap.

=> Mic stand: A a short boom or goose neck might be nice (helps when recording sitting down). In the end though, something holder the satnd

=> Pop filter: useful to have, but may not be necessary. All it does it prevents sharp attacks from being pickedup on the mic. If you have a quiet room, acoustically dead room, and good mic, youcan up the gain a bit, and and stand a little farther back when recording to help with that. Another option is to pay attention to how you speak. I would try wihtout the POP filter first IF budget is tight.

=> Shock mount: anohter useful item. Likely not needed, but would help if you are picking up floor vibrations. If you have spare cash, go ahead and get it.

=> Mic's: Most professional grade mics will be fine. Avoid Nady, Radio shack brands etc. These mics will need balanced connections with phantom power, so you will need something that can provide that. You will also need XLR cables, which are nto cheap.

=> Input: Cheapest way to get a good reecording, is with a PC. You will need something besides your PC sound card though. The tascam US-122 seems like a good device. There others like it. E-MU make similar devices, as well as recording sound cards that can handle the a strong recording singal without overloading the soundcard (which is why the gaming soundcard will not work). The cards might requrie special adpaters for the mic's (not expensive though), as well as a a way to provide the mics power. Another option with cards is to use a small mixer (example: Behringer UB802, ~$40US) which has phantom power bulit in. Also might look at Digidesign items (They make Pro-Tools, which is an industry standard recording software. Yet another option are multitrack recorders. a bit more expensive, and probably over kill for your application, but these units record well, have phantom power, can handle all recording/editing work, or allow recordings to be sent to PC either before or after recording.

=> Software: unless you already have something, The open source program Audacity should meet your needs.

=> High end headphones for reference.

If money is really tight, get a least a good mic, stand, cable, mixer, and Audacity. This will require using your PC soundcard (so levels will not be to good, meaning more noise) but the starter set-up is cheaper. This also assumes you have decent speakers/headphones already. You may miss nuances whne mastering, btu again, cost is less.This should cost no more then $200 US.

Some good sites for equipment:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com
http://www.zzounds.com
http://www.fullcompass.com

Perusing these sites should give you an idea as to what is out there, and what can be done.
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 02:19 PM   #4
Moses2k

I'll do one of the voices. Maybe I'll reprise my roll as the crab-poet guy from AO-Sulfure. Then you'll all pay. Pay in BLOOD FROM YOUR EARS!
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 02:50 PM   #5
FixXxeR

I just did a random google search to get that link up, but hey, I'll voice act (for a small fee 'course)
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
FixXxeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd Jan 2008, 11:01 PM   #6
Johnathan

Wow.

Thanks a lot guys, I really appriciate the input. My wallet is going to hate me

Seriously, thanks. I'll be sure to look into these leads. Any tips for solid content production? I've been hearing stuff like record one paragraph at a time and mix them all togehter in the end, stuff of that nature. Any tips?