Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 27th Aug 2003, 04:44 PM   #1
madmango

A list of suggestions.

This is a comprehensive list; sorry if I've included stuff that are in the other threads or have already been mentioned.

1) NightBlade MUST have the same basic thieving skills as Thievery like dousing touches, movable bodies. I believe we all want to create the most realistic game here, and one can't ignore the stealthy aspects of such a prefession. I'm not saying we downplay DMming as much as was done in Th, but we still need the same basic ghosting skills in NB. I don't care about the limitations of the 2k3 engine; there were limitations in teh UT engine, but you guys over came them. If you can't have dousable tourches, then in the name of vertically-challenged sportscasters everywhere, don't have torches! If you can't have the movable objects because of the physics implementations in the engine, turn it off! Or re-code it server-side. Or tag the objects to an invisi-mover. This point is very important, and I know it will determine whether a lot of good players do NB.

2) That said, better deuling skills. The really great thing about the original Thief and Thief II was that you could choose to ghost, or choose to DM. And when you did DM, it was a gallant battle of swords clanging, blocking, missing, and trying to get under your enemy's block. That's what made it so special; it was so darn INTERACTIVE. And it was great. Its one of the reasons I play Thief II more than Thievery.

3) Of course, with better deuling, there comes a need for a better AI engine. AIs that can second guess their human oponnets, and act accordingly. AIs that can camp correctly, just as humans do. Maybe have an actor that denotes a good camping spot in a map, so the mapper could decide.

4) Armor that you can buy in a buy zone. Armor slows you down and makes you noisy, but with the saftey of protection. Leather varieties offer limited protection with stealth and speed. Metal is the ultimate in protection but is clanky, heavy, and shiny.

5) Shields. Really makes you visible as a thief. Comes in various sizes and styles.

6) Replace the whistler with a more realistic alarm system, maybe one that takes time to construct and must be disassembled to be moved. And runs out of power, unless placed in sunlight, when it can run off of solar.

7) Firing whistlers are stupid, and balance the theam toward guards too much. Nix 'em.

8) However, remote controlled firing whistlers are a GOOD idea, because there actually is someone controlling them. Make sure AIs can use them.

9) Thief loot can be used as banked loot. More buy zones to facilitate resupply. If a thief gets loot, he can buy better armor or tools, but any money he spends dosen't go toward the final objective. Dosent apply to guards, as we wouldn't want them stealing the masters loot, would we?

10) That said, guards must start out with more banked loot.

11) Limited inventory. It can be expanded with the puchace of a pack, at the expense of slowing you down. Kudos to those who travel light and save banked loot.

12) When in shadows, guards hide and become less visible. Not nearly as invsi as a master thief, though, who isn't wearing much shiny armor.

13) Loot isn't shared, but you can drop it for other members of your team.

14) Friendly fire. So you can have personal duels.

15) A fairer team balance system. It just sucks to have to guard fifty times in a row.

16) Better spectating options. Maybe when you spectate, guards become mice and thieves become cats. I know this has been suggested before.

17) No giraffes.

18) Or hippos.

19) Make some more interesting accesories, like a repeating crossbow that costs most of your loot, knockout-gas mines for thieves, some cool gagets from Thief II.

20) Team members can drop and share things like arrows and bolts, not just items.

21) A less-easily moved supply chest. Maybe require that it has to be assembled.

22) Loot (of the banked variety) carries over from round to round so people can save up for the really cool items. Items carry over too. When a player leaves the game, their items get sold back and their team gets banked loot.

23) SINGLE PLAYER PLOT!!!! :swordthi:

sorry for the supid 8), apparently an 8 ) is 8). Stupid.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 04:49 PM   #2
madmango

Hmm. Double post.

24) Females. But not overly sexy. Keep it clean, gentlemen.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 05:03 PM   #3
Radamanthus

Originally Posted by madmango:

3) Of course, with better deuling, there comes a need for a better AI engine. AIs that can second guess their human oponnets, and act accordingly. AIs that can camp correctly, just as humans do. Maybe have an actor that denotes a good camping spot in a map, so the mapper could decide.
WEll, i like this one at least. The ais' we have now are wither too good or too bad for their skill level.

4) Armor that you can buy in a buy zone. Armor slows you down and makes you noisy, but with the saftey of protection. Leather varieties offer limited protection with stealth and speed. Metal is the ultimate in protection but is clanky, heavy, and shiny.
nice one there

6) Replace the whistler with a more realistic alarm system, maybe one that takes time to construct and must be disassembled to be moved. And runs out of power, unless placed in sunlight, when it can run off of solar.
Steam-powered everything tom, not solar. I like the rest of this one though.

7) Firing whistlers are stupid, and balance the theam toward guards too much. Nix 'em.
indeed

8) However, remote controlled firing whistlers are a GOOD idea, because there actually is someone controlling them. Make sure AIs can use them.
Like the posessable watchers now, only armed.

9) Thief loot can be used as banked loot. More buy zones to facilitate resupply. If a thief gets loot, he can buy better armor or tools, but any money he spends dosen't go toward the final objective. Dosent apply to guards, as we wouldn't want them stealing the masters loot, would we?
A nice suggestion there. one of the best you have.

11) Limited inventory. It can be expanded with the puchace of a pack, at the expense of slowing you down. Kudos to those who travel light and save banked loot.
Nah, not the best of ideas, saying that it would make the game too much like Diablo II type on inventory. Next you'll be saying you want a private stash. :roll:

12) When in shadows, guards hide and become less visible. Not nearly as invsi as a master thief, though, who isn't wearing much shiny armor.
Why? i mean, if a guards arean't meant to sneak around but they should be able to creep around an unsuspecting thief.

13) Loot isn't shared, but you can drop it for other members of your team.
I suppose this goes along with number nine. You jsut have to make sure you don't spend too much of your stolen loot, or you won't be able to complete your objectives. I like.

14) Friendly fire. So you can have personal duels.
Lootfights? WEll, make it an option that can be turned off.

16) Better spectating options. Maybe when you spectate, guards become mice and thieves become cats. I know this has been suggested before.
If they use the lives system which i severely hope they do (HINT!HINT!)

17) No giraffes.

18) Or hippos.
indeed.

19) Make some more interesting accesories, like a repeating crossbow that costs most of your loot, knockout-gas mines for thieves, some cool gagets from Thief II.
It has been stated that these games are not thief sereis remakes. we don't want to model them too much.

20) Team members can drop and share things like arrows and bolts, not just items.

21) A less-easily moved supply chest. Maybe require that it has to be assembled.
good.

22) Loot (of the banked variety) carries over from round to round so people can save up for the really cool items. Items carry over too. When a player leaves the game, their items get sold back and their team gets banked loot.
no.

Anything not mentioned/repeated is already done
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Old 27th Aug 2003, 05:10 PM   #4
Master-Builder

Nightblade is not Thievery, nor Thievery 2003.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 05:12 PM   #5
LaughingRat

Many of your suggestions seem to be geared towards the TvG gametype, which as I understand it, is not going to be the focus of NightBlade.

How about some Guildwars suggestions?
Old 27th Aug 2003, 06:10 PM   #6
NeoPendragon

25) 184 page instruction manual.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 06:15 PM   #7
Master-Builder

Does the name NightBlade mean ring a bell?
How useful do you reallly think an sunlight powered whistler would be when it's freaking NIGHT!
... :roll:
Old 27th Aug 2003, 06:29 PM   #8
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by NeoPendragon:
OOH!! Yes!!!

Originally Posted by Master-Builder:
Does the name NightBlade mean ring a bell?
How useful do you reallly think an sunlight powered whistler would be when it's freaking NIGHT!
... :roll:
It's for those really sneaky thieves, the ones who know that no one will expect them to try to sneak in in broad daylight, so that's when they go.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 06:31 PM   #9
Garlisk

Quote:
It's for those really sneaky thieves, the ones who know that no one will expect them to try to sneak in in broad daylight, so that's when they go.

No, its for those EXTREMELY sneaky thieves, the ones who know how to get solar power without any source of light at all. Thats sneaky.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 06:58 PM   #10
Machine

There was a man, and that man owned a software company, now, this man paid his employees vast amounts of money to create games as and when he pleased, these games were written how this man desired because, of course, this man paid his employees well...

Then, there was another man, whom, out of sheer passion and intreast decided to make a game, and many did play, then, that man became the target of many demands to create a game how others saw fit, now, this man must surely be thinking WTF? I don't get paid to see to your every whim!

Post wishlists, not a terrorist sytle list-of-demands-or-I'll-kill-your-mother.
Old 27th Aug 2003, 09:43 PM   #11
Lurox

Originally Posted by TheMachine:
Post wishlists, not a terrorist sytle list-of-demands-or-I'll-kill-your-mother.
I agree with that. It's even worse then whining about how NB won't be TUT.
Old 28th Aug 2003, 12:25 AM   #12
immortius

[quote="Radamanthus"]
Steam-powered everything tom, not solar. I like the rest of this one though.
Well, if there were a number of "steam points" around the level where the stationary mechina could be placed...

Originally Posted by Radamanthus:
indeed

Like the posessable watchers now, only armed.
Mappers can use possessable armed watchers NOW in Thievery.
Old 28th Aug 2003, 06:47 AM   #13
madmango

Jesus christ people, don't spaz.

And yes, many of my suggestions would be great for TH 1.5. But i thought you were making a game where you steal things. And, if I was a robber, I wouldn't turn my work into a Chaos UT Bastart Sword-arena style melee.

But you don't have to go nuts about it. They're just suggestions.

Oh, and I know solar is a bad idea. We all have bad ideas. But immortius has a good point, steam points. Much like the wall sockets we all plug our electricity sucking stuff into.
Old 28th Aug 2003, 06:57 AM   #14
Burdcheese

Quote:

OOH!! Yes!!!
Thats a bit short isn't it?