Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Mapping

Old 24th Oct 2004, 04:02 PM   #1
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Unhappy Map won't load into Ued2

Hey all,

Got a problem. I'm refurbishing an old map and I just recently tried to add a new objective item to the Inventory list. I accidentally created it with 'My Package'. When I built and saved, then tried to test outside the editor, it doen't recognize the URL or something..., also, UED2 can no longer call up the map. IOW, nothing appears in the editor when I try to open the map now. It's like it's gone.
I've checked the file and it says its 5 MB's so I know it's still there.
Anyone have any ideas how I can rescue it?
Thanks.
SiLeNt_NiGhT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2004, 04:47 PM   #2
Firetiger

You sure your using the thievery UED?

It's a shorcut to the UnrealED file in the system folder with "INI=ThAux.ini" (without the quotes) after the file path.
Old 24th Oct 2004, 05:17 PM   #3
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Hi Firetiger,
I've been using ThieveryUT for playing and testing. There isn't a Thievery Ued2 from what I understand. I've always created my maps in Ued2 and have never had problems like this before. I've been working on this map for a month now, as well as testing it, and I've had no problems untill I tried to add a 'New Objective Item', created under 'MyPackage', then added to the map. All of a sudden the map no longer loads into the editor or TUT. I get a message in TUT saying, "can't locate URL 'MyPackage'", or something like that.

I found this log. Maybe this can help:

Warning: Failed to load 'MyPackage': Can't find file for package 'MyPackage'
Warning: Failed to load 'TH-Ra's Tomb': Can't find file for package 'MyPackage'
Warning: Failed to load 'Texture TH-Ra's Tomb.Screenshot': Can't find file for package 'MyPackage'
Warning: Failed to load 'MyPackage': Can't find file for package 'MyPackage'
Warning: Failed to load 'TH-Ra's Tomb': Can't find file for package 'MyPackage'
Warning: Failed to load 'LevelSummary TH-Ra's Tomb.LevelSummary': Can't find file for package 'MyPackage'

( Ignore the screenshot thing, I don't have one.)

Something tells me I built and saved something I shouldn't have. And I don't have a backup of this sucker either. Anyone good at surgery?

If anyone knows how to undo what I did, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.
Old 24th Oct 2004, 05:30 PM   #4
Master-Builder

Basically, you're screwed.

Or are you?
You should be able to save it... with some luck. The problem is, that you have made som custom packages, and not saved them. Thus the map fails to load, since it can't find the content in those files.

I can't remember exactly how you recover from this, but creating dummy packages in place of the ones it is looking for, might allow you to open it.

In the future, you want to make sure you save packages.
For custom maps you are actually better of just adding custom content to the package "MyLevel". That packages is contained within your map, and allows you to include custom content, without a dozen of files.
Master-Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th Oct 2004, 05:31 PM   #5
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Okay, just found out that my Ued2 won't load any map, including the standards like Gerome, Aquatone, Breandor, and the like.
Can't load anything. Weird.
Old 24th Oct 2004, 05:36 PM   #6
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Originally Posted by Master-Builder:
I can't remember exactly how you recover from this, but creating dummy packages in place of the ones it is looking for, might allow you to open it.
How do you do that?

Because my Ued2 isn't loading any maps, do you think reinstalling the whole thing might change whatever it was I did back to normal health?

Quote:
For custom maps you are actually better of just adding custom content to the package "MyLevel".
That's what I suspect I did wrong. I should have changed the MyPackage to MyLevel when I added the item to the Inventory list...

opps...
Old 24th Oct 2004, 06:03 PM   #7
Firetiger

Originally Posted by SiLeNt_NiGhT:
Okay, just found out that my Ued2 won't load any map, including the standards like Gerome, Aquatone, Breandor, and the like.
Can't load anything. Weird.
Yep, AFAIK that's a sign that your not using the ThAux.ini editor like I mentioned in my post above.

Just create a shortcut to the UrealED.exe file, then add "INI=ThAux.ini" after the path.
Old 24th Oct 2004, 06:40 PM   #8
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Originally Posted by Firetiger:
Yep, AFAIK that's a sign that your not using the ThAux.ini editor like I mentioned in my post above.

Just create a shortcut to the UrealED.exe file, then add "INI=ThAux.ini" after the path.
Sorry Firetiger,
After I closed Ued2 and restarted it, the Thieveryut maps all loaded except mine. Mine still won't load. Empty space.
I think Master Builder was on to something but he hasn't told me how I can do what he suggested yet. I really don't want to have to toss, yet another map, out the window. Not if there's a chance of rescueing this one.

Isn't there some way of getting into the maps code and convincing it to cancel or ignore the 'MyPackage' mistake and look for the MyLevel instead? It's not like the map was deleted, I know the info is still there in the file. I'd be willing to send it to someone if they thought they could tweak the map to accept being loaded into Ued2.

Anyone got a spare hand and a little time? Anyone? Please?
Old 24th Oct 2004, 07:03 PM   #9
immortius

It might work if you copy an existing package and name it MyPackage.u. It certainly does under Ued3. Dunno about Ued2.
Old 25th Oct 2004, 02:09 AM   #10
Master-Builder

What i meant is, try duplicating a texture file, and rename it MyPackage.utx.

Hopefully that will fool Ued into opening your map.

Alternativly, if you know what the content of the MyPackage you made is, remake it. Add all the files back in, and save it this time. After it has opened you should be able to use... Rename on the files, to change their location to MyLevel instead.
Old 25th Oct 2004, 12:01 PM   #11
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Hi MB,
I tried what you said, it didn't work.

Here's what I did originally. I was trying to make a new objective item (scroll). So I went into Inventory/ThPickup/ThObjectiveItem and clicked 'new'. I created the new items name as 'ThObjectiveItemScroll'.
Then, as you pointed out, I didn't save it. I placed the newly created item on my map. Then I built and saved my map.

I was trying to follow the instructions on the ThieveryUT website to creat custom objective/loot items, that's all.

The rest is history.

I've been asking at other forums about this problem - noone seems to have a clue. You'd think this kind of thing has been encountered before. Surely I'm not the only mapper in existence who's ever pressed the OK button without changing the MyPackage label to MyLevel?

...I guess you're right, I'm screwed.
Old 25th Oct 2004, 12:40 PM   #12
Master-Builder

Then just remake the obejectiv scrool, in the mypackage, and save it!
Old 25th Oct 2004, 02:12 PM   #13
PhaeThorn

Location: This pwnage was given to you by 1 of 3 mutated thievery players.
open the map, check the log to see what's not loading. Recreate the actor with the same names as you had it before. Open your map and voila, it's there. This is what mb tried to tell you. Only problem is, if you do not remember what you made or placed it in, it's going to be very hard

That's why I love auto saves
On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE
PhaeThorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2004, 03:56 PM   #14
Radamanthus

First, always autosave, and save EVERY half-hour.

Second is that you didn't save your package but jsut the map it was in, and placed the objective item anyway. Thievery is looking for this item that you told it to put there, even though it doesn't know what it is. You need to make the item all over again and save it to Mypackage just like MB and Phae said.
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Radamanthus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Oct 2004, 09:26 PM   #15
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Sorry Guys,

I've tried everything you've said to the best of my ability. Nada.
I must've really screwed something up cause now I'm crashing the editor with the following:

Badname index - 11/5567

History: Ulinkerload<<Fname<- (Linkerload Transient.Linkerload73 5194824)) <-Fobjectimport<< <-LoadImportMap - ULinkerload:: Ulinkerload <- UObject::GetPackageLinker<-UObject Loadpackage<- UEditorEngine:: Exec<-(MAPLOADFILE="UnrealTournament\Thievery\Th-maps\TH-Ra's Tomb.unr")..<-Fileopen<-WEditorframe:: OnCommand<-WM_HSCROLL<-WWindow::WNDProc<-WWindow::StaticProc<-DispatchMessage<-0029002E 273<-MessagePump<-Mainloop

Very strange...

Oh well, chalk it up to experience. I've started another map so...
(Geeze, my 3rd map and none out there for peeps to play.)

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, much appreciated. I won't be making that mistake ever again. I guess I'm just not a Ued friendly kinda guy.
Old 25th Oct 2004, 10:49 PM   #16
immortius

Tip #1: Backup copies of your map as you go. I'ld even go so far as to suggest setting up CVS or SVN using it to track the versions of your map.
Old 26th Oct 2004, 06:07 PM   #17
SiLeNt_NiGhT

Thanks,
What doesn't kill me makes me stronger... (and a better mapper).

I'm really happy with my new one. Kinda takes the sting of the loss away.