Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Community Forums > Community Chat

Old 27th Jan 2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Kiech Bepho

Wow...not the same at all. Here are some thoughs about my first games

It's MUCH harder to BJ in Thievery than in Thief, the guy has NO reach at all. In Thief I would just walk up to a guard, and release my attack button end of story. But this weekend, I hit a LOT of air instead. Leaning doesn't seem to help either. Frontal BJ's are even tougher (although I actually got one!) I tried to do another one while inviso & catfall(no awareness)...all I did was break his helmet, and tick him off, weird.

The bow just takes forever to draw, but maybe I am not used to shooting under pressure with it yet.

It's fun to be able to have an AI follow you when patroling for theives...much safer too.

It is hillarious when you trick the human guards into running one way, and you run right past them, right NEXT to them.

'Disabled Whistler' does not mean it's broken. Couldn't it just say 'Whistler'? I spent a good 10 min trying to fix one before I found out.

All this talk about 'DM' thieves is rubbish. A thief has to EARN his KO's/kills in this game. If a guard get's whacked, then he deserved it. Sure I went toe-to-toe with a sword thief, but he was distracting me from his buddy who was the real threat and robbed me blind: Great strategy! (And I feel honored for rating 2 theives to bust up my defense!)

The blue box, although helpful, can get a little annoying when trying to look straight ahead.

Aquatone needs better thief spawn placement. On my maybe 3rd actual game online, 2 guards came rushing out at me while I was picking equipment. In all fairness they let me go, but why did I spawn in such a hotzone?

Being a guard was fun when I knew what I was susposed to protect, and when chasing down taffers.

I typically don't use the mouse except for sniping when playing Thief, and just use the keyboard - for stability. I am going to have to change my ways and switch to the mouse now...the game just goes too fast and I need more accuracy than ever.

The whole 'flare' system is really annoying. I gotta get a binder that lets me drop that flare when I grab a weapon.

Why is the sever that I have the best ping to...in England? (I am near the Pacific coast.) Thanks BTW Crackaz.

Awesome game...best 10 bucks I have spent in a while.

Kiech
Kiech Bepho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 12:24 PM   #2
CrouchingDork

Most of the issues have been brought up, like DMing (MANY times...) and aqua spawn points.

Btw, the BJ is easy to use, I can take on 2 or 3 gaurds if they attack me in the dark (which would be stupid), but it just takes practice.
CrouchingDork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 12:32 PM   #3
Kiech Bepho

Originally Posted by CrouchingDork:
Most of the issues have been brought up, like DMing (MANY times...) and aqua spawn points.

Btw, the BJ is easy to use, I can take on 2 or 3 gaurds if they attack me in the dark (which would be stupid), but it just takes practice.
No doubt. I just wanted to put out my impressions, since I just started playing this weekend.
Old 27th Jan 2003, 12:54 PM   #4
LaughingRat

Glad you like the game. It is indeed quite different than Thief. And a mouse is a must, in any first-person game.

Originally Posted by Kiech Bepho:
Why is the sever that I have the best ping to...in England? (I am near the Pacific coast.) Thanks BTW Crackaz.
Were you getting the best ping on Crackaz? It's not in England.
LaughingRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 01:15 PM   #5
Kiech Bepho

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
Really? (looks it up) Oh, in NY...Hmm, pretty sure you were from England, so I figured the server was there too.
Old 27th Jan 2003, 01:34 PM   #6
LaughingRat

Really? (looks it up) Oh, in NY...Hmm, pretty sure you were from England, so I figured the server was there too.
Nope, I'm not from England. And I've never even set foot in NY.
Old 27th Jan 2003, 01:57 PM   #7
Buho

Hey, Kiech. Glad you like Thievery. We all do here

What I most want to comment on is your comments on how difficult it was for you to play thief offensively. I think your comments mirror the early players when Thievery was new and everyone was new like you. Back then there was a celebration every time thieves won, because guards were so strong. Eventually, everyone got better, their skills got sharper, and now thieves can easilly own guards. That is why there are so many threads on DMers, BJers, and snipers. Consiquentially, in version 1.3, the blackjack's effectiveness has been reduced, and the bow has been altered in some way, too.

Which makes it even more difficult for newbies. This is a concern. Do we want to scare off new players by the sheer difficulty of the game? I've noticed that more and more servers are using the Clever AI setting. This is suicide for any newbie. I do not have any answers, but perhaps other people have thoughts?
Buho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 02:10 PM   #8
BrokenArts
Administrator

There is a number of things you can do to improve and learn about the game more.

1. Play solo, great way to learn the maps, and loot placement. Vital to do that. Also you can practice on the AI knocking them out.
Be sure to hold down the mouse button, to get the full effect of the BJ. If the BJ is across your face, your good to go and knock out.

2. Also spectate some rounds, its good to follow people, and see their tricks, get ideas.

3. Ask questions, most people don't mind answering them. Not at all.

4. Try Co-oping a few rounds, a one on one, is a great way to play too.

5. There is gonna be a patch, 1.3 coming out, things are going to change with the Black Jack a bit. So, don't get too comfortable with things.

6. Maybe a server can set the AI setting to normal, that has been discussed before as well. Just have to ask. If there are enough new players, I think that would go a long way in support of the new players and the community as a whole. We've all been there.

More discussions coming I am sure.
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 02:29 PM   #9
Jocke

Frontal BJ's are even tougher
That's for gameplay reasons. If anyone could just run up to a guard and whack them to get rid of them, there wouldn't be much of a game. Instead you have to hit in the back 180 degrees of a guards head. This is getting lowered in 1.3.

Welcome BTW.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 02:43 PM   #10
Kiech Bepho

I agree that practice makes everyone better at the game. I don't know if I agree on making the AI 'dumber' for the sake of newbies though. Personally, I would want to learn just how mean they can get right away so I will learn how to deal with them, since the toughest levels of AI will prob be used in 'serious' games.

I spectated a LOT this weekend, and I am starting to understand the maps now. I tried a couple of single-player games, but honestly, I just wanted to go online and have fun. Maybe I will run through more solo play in the future to hone my skills.

However, I do think that a practice/training specific level would be very appropriate, to make an environment thats very noob-friendly to learn the basics. Hmm...I really should get onto making TH-Barracks now that I have the game.

Kiech
Old 27th Jan 2003, 03:01 PM   #11
Anonymous

if thief 3 comes out will there have to be another conversion for UT?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 03:07 PM   #12
Kiech Bepho

Depends...on if T3 has multiplayer or not. But I am sure the MOD community will still be around to update as needed.
Old 27th Jan 2003, 03:09 PM   #13
BrokenArts
Administrator

From what I have read and heard, no multi-player for T3
BrokenArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 03:10 PM   #14
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Garret Strife:
Why would there be? Thief 3 will be a completely different game than Thievery. And I think the current word is that Thief 3 is not going to have multiplayer.
Old 27th Jan 2003, 03:25 PM   #15
LegalAssassin

Why, oh why, spoil such good net support :cry:
LegalAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 06:50 PM   #16
Thwark

well, so far as I know, if T3 doesn't have MP (which is likely), but has UCC and a version of UED (which is also likely), the TUT team will prolly eb on the job
Thwark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th Jan 2003, 06:58 PM   #17
xoshade

Maybe Ion Storm realised that they simply couldn't compete with Thievery and decided to ditch the multiplayer aspect.

As for being a newbie, I've followed this mod for quite a while now, but I haven't gotten to grips with the in-game culture. Also, not knowing every map's objectives, loot and spawn locations by heart isn't helping me any.
xoshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2003, 07:31 AM   #18
-=V12US=-

Originally Posted by Garret Strife:
Why would there be? Thief 3 will be a completely different game than Thievery. And I think the current word is that Thief 3 is not going to have multiplayer.
If thief3 wouldn't add new item's and gameplay additions, it wouldn't be much of a new game would it?

It would be cool if those new additions would also be added to Thievery... I think that was what he ment.
-=V12US=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Jan 2003, 07:35 AM   #19
-=V12US=-

Originally Posted by xoshade:
Maybe Ion Storm realised that they simply couldn't compete with Thievery and decided to ditch the multiplayer aspect.

As for being a newbie, I've followed this mod for quite a while now, but I haven't gotten to grips with the in-game culture. Also, not knowing every map's objectives, loot and spawn locations by heart isn't helping me any.
I fear that is something which can only be learned by experience.
I tried making a map guide for Korman, but there were so many things that needed attention, it was just too huge of a task.

I think it actually takes newbies less time to learn these things by themself, than it takes an experienced player to create a guide...

Not to mention that most of the maps are beta and are subject to changes in later versions, plus random loot spawns and the like... it's allmost impossible...
-=V12US=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 07:19 AM   #20
thetragictaffer

Originally Posted by xoshade:
Didn't you know that everyone at Ion Storm Austin was playing Thievery rather than getting any work done?

Quote:
I've been away for a while so I might not be up to scratch on any of the new in-jokes and whatnot.

Still, I'll always have my knowledge of the bow upgrade.

As for the maps, all I can suggest is "practise, practise, practise". Do the maps in single player with the guard's AI set to Benny, just so you can get a feel for the maps and find out where the objectives are etc without getting turned into a pincushion every five minutes.
thetragictaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 07:37 AM   #21
modetwo
Webmaster

Originally Posted by thetragictaffer:
I've been away for a while so I might not be up to scratch on any of the new in-jokes and whatnot.
Yeah, it was about time you got your tragic ass over here!

modetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 07:55 AM   #22
thetragictaffer

Arrr matey!
Old 29th Jan 2003, 09:17 AM   #23
Lake

I agree that practice makes everyone better at the game. I don't know if I agree on making the AI 'dumber' for the sake of newbies though. Personally, I would want to learn just how mean they can get right away so I will learn how to deal with them, since the toughest levels of AI will prob be used in 'serious' games.
I wish more newbies had this attitude.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 09:32 AM   #24
Omega

Originally Posted by thetragictaffer:
Arrr matey!
/me waves.

Hi! Glad you're back.
Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2003, 10:11 AM   #25
thetragictaffer

It's good to be back. I even did some work on my Mercantile map last night (still along way to go before it's even playable).