Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Forge of Shadows

Notices

Old 21st Mar 2008, 11:02 PM   #1
immortius

Mapper's Guide - Getting Started

This is the first in what will hopefully be a series of guides to creating Nightblade maps. Most will probably focus on a particular element, like setting up sketchmaps or doors. However, this one looks at the general setup required to create Nightblade maps.

Setting up UT3 Editor for Nightblade:

In order to create a map for Nightblade, you will need to first set up UT3 Editor to automatically load the Nightblade files.

1. Copy everything under .\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\NBGame\Published\cookedPC\Nightblade to \My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\NBGame\UnPublished\cookedPC\

2. In your .\UTGame\Config\UTEditor.ini add or modify the [ModPackages] section to be as follows:

[ModPackages]
ModPackagesInPath=..\UTGame\Src
ModOutputDir=..\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script
ModPackages=NbLowLevel
ModPackages=NightbladeMod
ModPackages=NbAI

And you're done. There may be a better way to do this which I'm not aware of or things may change in the future, in which case I'll update this section.

Nightblade Resources:

The first thing to note is that our packages are either prefixed with "Th" or "Nb". The "Th" packages contain content ported from Thievery, so they are relatively low quality. We are slowly replacing these over time. I wouldn't recommend using them. The "Nb" packages generally contain more recent content, either from our efforts to make Nightblade for UT2004, or updated and new content for UT3.

The CustomEnvironments directory contains all the static meshes and textures for use by maps. The CustomSounds directory contains all the Nightblade sounds, including ambient sounds and music that may be used in maps.

Setting up a map for play:

Once you have created a map, there are a couple of steps to making it playable ingame:

1. Add some player starts. Thieves use standard UT3 PlayerStarts at the moment, so place a few of these. Guards possess AI guards, so place some NbKnights in the map for them.

2. Open the World properties (reached through View->World Properties). In the WorldInfo tab you can set the map's Title and Author. Also in that tab is a GameTypesSupportedOnThisMap list, add an entry and select NbGameInfo. Finally you can set the MyMapInfo property to be a NbMapInfo, which can be used to configure various Nightblade-specific map settings, such as thief lives and the map time limit.

3. To test the map, run UT3 with the -UseUnpublished commandline option. This causes UT3 to use the contents of the Unpublished directory rather than the Published directory.

Publishing:

DGUnreal has written a great post on the steps involved in polishing and publishing an UT3 map, and most of it is relevant for Nightblade Maps as well.

It is worth noting that the cooking process bakes the Nightblade gametype into the map, meaning that the map will need to be re-cooked and released every time a new version of Nightblade is released. Alternatively you can just skip the cooking step and release the map in its uncooked state, which gets around this. The map will be much larger if you do that though.

Where to from here:

Check the Nightblade Website for more Mapping Guides.

Last edited by immortius; 26th Apr 2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Denny

I bow to your might for posting this. \o
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 10:36 AM   #3
Appollonius

Iirc there used to be a wiki with mapping faqs and info on here? I think it could be quite useful now that the NB alpha is out.
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 02:25 PM   #4
SpamSlayer

Originally Posted by Appollonius: ( link to post ) 
Iirc there used to be a wiki with mapping faqs and info on here? I think it could be quite useful now that the NB alpha is out.
Yeah, it was here: http://forums.blackcatgames.com/pubwiki/
But I get 403 for it and the community gallery. you all too?
Old 22nd Mar 2008, 06:14 PM   #5
Appollonius

Yeah, I get the same.
Old 6th Apr 2008, 08:16 PM   #6
]>CoD<[Chief

How do we make post-process effects appear in our NB maps?

I made a small volume of water, and added a post-process volume to it to give it the usual blue hue and blurring.

In standard UT-III the blurring etc in the map shows up perfectly, in Nightblade however it doesn't show up at all.

Thanks
Old 7th Apr 2008, 04:22 AM   #7
immortius

At the moment post processing volumes are broken for Nightblade due to the dark vision effect overriding them. I plan to poke around a bit to see if I can get them working together, or else I might just remove the dark vision. Post processing volumes would still be overridden by gameplay post processing effects in that case though, like the invis pot effect.
Old 17th Apr 2008, 08:09 AM   #8
]>CoD<[Chief

How do teams now work in NB? I set an AI team to 0 to make him friendly towards thieves. And he still got put on team1, promptly got out his sword and slaughtererd me

Are all AI being forced to team1 or is there a new setting to change compared to how Thievery teams worked?
Old 17th Apr 2008, 08:30 AM   #9
immortius

Yeah, they're hardcoded at the moment. I'll change that. But don't expect much work to be done to the AIs any time soon - it is a big task and not a priority at the moment.
Old 8th May 2008, 08:24 AM   #10
immortius

Just a quick note, I've placed the Mapping Guides on the Nightblade website.
Old 1st Sep 2008, 02:01 PM   #11
]>CoD<[Chief

BlackCat

With the new mod structure is this guide still valid or is there some new way we need to do to get back into the NightBlade editor?

Thanks
Old 1st Sep 2008, 04:45 PM   #12
immortius

There is a new way - I'll write it up later, but you'll need to run the editor with the -mod commandline argument and it would probably be best to move the content to the UT3 directory proper.