Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 13th May 2008, 10:34 AM   #1
LoUie

Colors in Nicknames

just a quick little rediculas suggestioN^ that would be fun

i think ive brought this up long time before. and you only se the nicknames if you press "show scores" so a really colorfull nickname wont really "interrupt" annoyingwise or the gameplay id say. also looks nice if a guild has their prefix with a special color etc.

[xXx]niCkname

.:m.louie:.

a player in a guild could have his own color, but everyone has same prefix e.g.

.:m.louie:.
.:m.shug:.
.:m.rodent:.
.:m.gladius:.

but often sticking to same color looks better. this is just small thing. this is possible in many games today. what do you all think?
Old 13th May 2008, 01:25 PM   #2
-KewlAzMe-

is it possible in UT3?
Old 13th May 2008, 02:00 PM   #3
LoUie

i se where you're going with this, good question. and i have no idea.. but hope so
Old 14th May 2008, 07:54 AM   #4
Schleicher

If you want it in more power to you but then i want an option to turn it off for myself. Worse enough what people can do with =[~~~N0rm4L Ch4r4cterZz~~]=, dont need rainbow puke on top of that.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:35 AM   #5
LoUie

Originally Posted by Schleicher: ( link to post ) 
If you want it in more power to you but then i want an option to turn it off for myself. Worse enough what people can do with =[~~~N0rm4L Ch4r4cterZz~~]=, dont need rainbow puke on top of that.
 Originally Posted by LoUie: ( link to post ) 
and you only se the nicknames if you press "show scores" so a really colorfull nickname wont really "interrupt" annoyingwise or the gameplay id say.
point?
Old 14th May 2008, 08:46 AM   #6
Schleicher

and you only se the nicknames if you press "show scores"
Not so sure about that. Plus, wouldnt like such crap on the scoreboards either.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:53 AM   #7
LoUie

Not so sure about that. Plus, wouldnt like such crap on the scoreboards either.
lets say if the name appeared somewhere else than the scoreboard, it probably wont appear in COLORS there (may be easy to edit so the colors would only show on scoreboard)

so what are you really whining about? like its so annoying with a color or two in a nickname on the scoreboard you just cant play the game or stand it? sounds abit pathetic to me, stop exaggerating. in all other games where this is possible, there is no complaints about it.. i mean cmon lol, geez.
Old 14th May 2008, 08:55 AM   #8
Schleicher

whining
Opinions are fun? ;_;

I dont like it, you do. Lets leave it at that.
Old 14th May 2008, 09:01 AM   #9
LoUie

Opinions are fun? ;_;

I dont like it, you do. Lets leave it at that.
yea, just thought you were exaggerating a TAD. and if it was possible it doesnt mean ppl will actually color their nicknames in all colors of the rainbow.

KAM: if they decide to make this possible, and its not possible in UT3 already i dont think its to hard to add it..but i dont know..
Old 14th May 2008, 09:07 AM   #10
-KewlAzMe-

Well I remember it was in UT2004 and then I thought they removed it.. but then a mutator re-enabled it or something. So I dunno what is where. I am completely indifferent anyway, I was just seeing if it was even possible on UT3 before the thread got any farther.
Old 14th May 2008, 09:52 AM   #11
necros

it was in Unreal 2 XMP, and Quake 3...
for most people it looked good, but you get the often raindow crap...

IAH i dont think it matters at all really.
Old 14th May 2008, 01:00 PM   #12
DiP

UTComp enabled it, but it destroyed some server configurations. I'm sure I read somewhere about it being developed for UT3, I can't mind though. Have to deal with the default colour I guess
Old 14th May 2008, 02:46 PM   #13
LoUie

Originally Posted by deathispainfull: ( link to post ) 
Have to deal with the default colour I guess
oh! you prefer the brittish spelling, okay
Old 15th May 2008, 07:42 AM   #14
Machine

Being British I expect he does.

Actually, he'll be Scottish, but he speaks English.
Old 15th May 2008, 07:59 AM   #15
TafferBoy

I believe you can have coloured names in the call of duty series too.
Old 15th May 2008, 11:00 AM   #16
LoUie

Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
Being British I expect he does.

yea i know he's Scottish and therefore would spell it British. he came out like he were correcting me like there were only one way to spell the word
Old 15th May 2008, 11:07 AM   #17
FatRatHead

You're European after all aren't you?
Old 15th May 2008, 12:42 PM   #18
LoUie

Originally Posted by FatRatHead: ( link to post ) 
You're European after all aren't you?
yes and no. im 50% european (swedish) and 50% west indian (trinidad) and i spoke both english and swedish as a kid when i just started to learn to speak. my mother has spoken english with me my entire life and ive spoken english quite much aswell, im bilingual. you?

trinidad english is pigeon english were things for us are correct which is way wrong for americans/english like grammar and stuff. thats the way we/they speak. i did have a trinidadien accent as a kid, something are still in me but living in sweden my entire life it disapears more and more and it sounds more like a swedish-english accent.
Old 16th May 2008, 02:47 AM   #19
TafferBoy

The spell check on these forums is English (US) rather than English (UK).
Old 16th May 2008, 03:13 AM   #20
Inq

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Colours in nicknames tend to look very tacky and on the F1 score sheet screen it could start to look overly cluttered, messy and hard to read if there are rainbow colours all over it. It'd be a direct contrast with the mood of the game. Everything is all sort of in a tudor setting with dark and drab colours. Blazing colours would kind of seem like an ugly mismatch of styles. All the text would best be left white so that it matches the style but the text still stands out.

Quote:
Worse enough what people can do with =[~~~N0rm4L Ch4r4cterZz~~]=, dont need rainbow puke on top of that.
This comment seems to best sum it up.
Old 16th May 2008, 09:39 AM   #21
LoUie

Originally Posted by SpamSlayer: ( link to post ) 
colors changing the mood of the game? who plays thievery for the mood it has? i play for the gameplay style, and the fact that its pretty much the best game ever ;D

i don't really care about the mood of the game. a game is a game, theres one objective, win. but if colors are that important to some people then all that needs to be done is change the color scheme allowed. Theres plenty of black, browns, dark oranges, dark reds.
hehe i totally agree man. thats why i think some ppl really are exaggerating.. the colors are Small thing with the capital S. no matter how hard i try, i just cant se that colors in nickname could interrupt the gameplay in any way. i dont really care that way if they add it or not, i just know there is in quite a few games today, and it gives a nice touch to the nickname or a guild, having your own color. im not even sure id use it in NB, but having it there is just a plus imo.
Old 16th May 2008, 10:35 AM   #22
DiP

Originally Posted by Machine: ( link to post ) 
So being Scottish doesn't make you British? But being English does?
Old 16th May 2008, 10:52 AM   #23
necros

Since the "British" accents is simply a byproduct of american ignorance, really meaning "Recieved Pronunciation (of which no british speak bar the queen and various other horsey royalty)", i wouldnt be too offended at not being included in that dip
Old 16th May 2008, 10:56 AM   #24
-KewlAzMe-

Originally Posted by necros: ( link to post ) 
Since the "British" accents is simply a byproduct of american ignorance, really meaning "Recieved Pronunciation (of which no british speak bar the queen and various other horsey royalty)", i wouldnt be too offended at not being included in that dip
Why is it "American" ignorance? An Englishman & a Swede used the term "British" in this context. Leave us innocent Americans out of this... You are "Limeys" to us
Old 16th May 2008, 01:24 PM   #25
Inq

Quote:
colors changing the mood of the game? who plays thievery for the mood it has? i play for the gameplay style, and the fact that its pretty much the best game ever ;D
 Quote:
i just cant se that colors in nickname could interrupt the gameplay in any way
I partly played Thievery for the mood. The mood is very important to a game. When there are bright, sharp colours standing out like sore thumbs (white stands out nicely) it does the atmosphere down a few notches. Keeping the drab, victorian colour keeps the credibility and the integrity of the project up. Too many colours about and things can start to look messy. It's the same for anything; games, movie, websites, whatever.

The colours would of course not interrupt the gameplay, I just personally think they would be out of place and would interrupt the mood and feel of the game.

When it comes down to it, they'd add very little to the game except a little gimmick, they'd probably go a small way to spoiling the setting of the game and would just be an extra thing to lumber onto the poor coders.
Old 16th May 2008, 02:45 PM   #26
FatRatHead

I'm with Inq on this one, it's more of a hindrance than anything. If devs want to try whether they can do it ... ok, that's all I see in it. Disturbance.
It's nice to see people are looking for very diverse ideas though.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:20 PM   #27
LoUie

Originally Posted by Inq: ( link to post ) 
I partly played Thievery for the mood. The mood is very important to a game. When there are bright, sharp colours standing out like sore thumbs (white stands out nicely) it does the atmosphere down a few notches. Keeping the drab, victorian colour keeps the credibility and the integrity of the project up. Too many colours about and things can start to look messy. It's the same for anything; games, movie, websites, whatever.

The colours would of course not interrupt the gameplay, I just personally think they would be out of place and would interrupt the mood and feel of the game.

When it comes down to it, they'd add very little to the game except a little gimmick, they'd probably go a small way to spoiling the setting of the game and would just be an extra thing to lumber onto the poor coders.
i totally agree! IF the nicknames appeared in COLORS somewhere else OTHER than the SCOREBOARD. im talking about that the colors should only appear in the scoreboard, nowhere else. so if a nickname appears somewhere else other than the scoreboard, they should appear in NONE-colors ofc, and that feels quite obvious in this type of game. so yea, i agree with you on that specific part..

and naaah, i dont think that it will reduce the atmosphere in ANYWAY if a nickname is colorfull on the scoreboard which the player himself/herself decides to emerge.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:33 PM   #28
BiG_D
Super Moderator

Yeah, but what if I want to see the scores?

It's a feature that adds nothing but annoyance, really.
Old 16th May 2008, 04:46 PM   #29
Illuminus

Didnt Quake 3 have this? I remember some FPS that had it.. it was really annoying. People tend to overly abuse it
Old 16th May 2008, 04:51 PM   #30
LoUie

Originally Posted by Illuminus: ( link to post ) 
Didnt Quake 3 have this? I remember some FPS that had it.. it was really annoying. People tend to overly abuse it
yea like you played one of those fps games very much? i think not, cause you're so wrong, they did actually not abuse it period. i didnt even do it, like i said, i just think that having it in NB would be a cool options, im not even sure id add a color in my nickname in NB.

yea it was in quake3 and a few other fps games..

BiG_D: id only agree with you if i were exxagerating to the max.

Tags
baked, colour, pointless