Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > The Archives > Archived Public Forums > Nightblade Discussion

Notices

Old 8th May 2009, 11:09 AM   #31
]>CoD<[Chief

Quote:
I did actually urge for a promotion document clearly clarifying everything and showing the project in its best light.
At least, surely, you had a nice clear design document with every interaction worked out etc to follow? Which could have been given to anyone wanting to see the direction the mod was going etc.
Old 8th May 2009, 11:41 AM   #32
Illuminus

I think what Inq means is a document for recruitment purposes, showing concept/screenshots with a short summary of the general direction we were heading. I actually did start a .pdf with some background on the NB world.. but it was badly written and needed the touch of a skilled writer (which we couldnt get).

Quote:
At least, surely, you had a nice clear design document with every interaction worked out etc to follow? Which could have been given to anyone wanting to see the direction the mod was going etc.
We have a design document (or "oRGy bible" as i call it ) and a wiki with lots of information in it. I guess the problem was that some of the pages did contain reference to older game ideas and must have been confusing for anyone not familiar with the older versions.
Old 8th May 2009, 12:40 PM   #33
Schleicher

Originally Posted by Illuminus: ( link to post ) 
it was badly written and needed the touch of a skilled writer (which we couldnt get).
I coulda cooked you up some fantasy bullshit if ya'd asked.

A shadow is upon the city. Something more sinister than the usual shady dealings and deeds of the various underworld guilds. An elder presence can be felt, the shadows seem darker and Taffy McTafferson sharped his knife evily while being evil. "Shit you look evil tonight" said his companion Garret McGarrington. They were gonna hit Lady Fattingtons mansion but Tafferson got a hint concerning a far better prize, an ancient weapon which, in the right hands and even moreso wrong hands could mean total domination over the city...TEH NIGHT BLADE!

On second though better not >X)
Old 8th May 2009, 01:54 PM   #34
]>CoD<[Chief

You're as bad as me with my LukeNGlas planet

So, whats the address to the wiki? No point keeping it private now it's defunct,right?

Quite interesting how NB's closure was announced the same day as DNF - spooky coincidence

Last edited by ]>CoD<[Chief; 8th May 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 8th May 2009, 02:23 PM   #35
FatRatHead

Nice to see that you resisted the sunken cost fallacy, shows you are competent after all.
Old 8th May 2009, 04:28 PM   #36
Trapmaster

I think what Inq means is a document for recruitment purposes, showing concept/screenshots with a short summary of the general direction we were heading. I actually did start a .pdf with some background on the NB world.. but it was badly written and needed the touch of a skilled writer (which we couldnt get).
I think it's a good idea. And luckily you don't even need much screenshots. It's more about that everybody gets the idea how the game should work I think.

Where were the writing difficulties? I'm not sure, for example writing in a scientific style is harder than writing in a more normal manner etc. #

We have a design document (or "oRGy bible" as i call it ) and a wiki with lots of information in it. I guess the problem was that some of the pages did contain reference to older game ideas and must have been confusing for anyone not familiar with the older versions.
oRGy bible sounds great

I think Inq made a good point with his intention to write a document for recruits.
Old 8th May 2009, 06:18 PM   #37
Inq

Rule #1 of promoting a game project (or game itself), Trapmaster, is to post screenshots. When trying to rope in extra helpers for free, well they want to see something not just hear about stuff. Unfortunately that's just the way it works.
Old 8th May 2009, 06:44 PM   #38
pataran

This is absolutly terrible...any way I can help? I actually do model, probably too late to ask though. Hopefully one day a new version or incarnation of Nightblade will appear when bcg is done with alien swarm. I will be the first to lend a hand if you guys do!
Old 8th May 2009, 07:47 PM   #39
Trapmaster

You might be right Inq, but I guess having some text first would be good too.
Old 9th May 2009, 04:06 AM   #40
frvge

Hi all,

I've been watching the progress of NightBlade for a while and if some of you decide not to continue with it, and you still want to work on a stealth-mod, I'd like to invite you to apply for Project Stealth.

What NightBlade is to the Thief-series, is Project Stealth to the multiplayer part of the Splinter Cell series. Only then with UE3 and as a Total Conversion. Some things: team of around 20 individuals, pros and amateurs, some more active than others obviously. We're still going strong after 2.5 years of pre-production and production.

www.projectstealthgame.com or http://www.moddb.com/mods/project-stealth/ if you're interested.

frvge
Producer of Project Stealth
Old 9th May 2009, 05:23 AM   #41
]>CoD<[Chief

I'd forgotten about project-stealth, was shown it waaaaaay back - the things you were adding to the engine were cool

Anyway here's an alternative suggestion - you and your team switch to making it a medieval, steam punk based, thief mod.
Old 9th May 2009, 08:39 AM   #42
frvge

Hehe, I expected that. Answer is no. But if we win MSUC then maybe afterwards we can try steam punk
Old 9th May 2009, 09:18 AM   #43
BrokenArts
Administrator

Can't say I am surprised. Still a sad day. Thanks for all the hard work guys. We know you tried, and tried.
Old 9th May 2009, 09:38 AM   #44
Trapmaster

I installed the latest UT3 patch and the latest Alpha.

I have to say things improved alot from the first time when I checked it out. It's a very pity to lose all this.

Also, I had a look on mapping things, I didn't have much time so I found some materials, no props/decorative/architectual static meshes. It's difficult to map for something that you can't get an idea of where to start.
So I guess, having some conception details in which direction NB heads would surely do some good, and to get down with a decent style.

Great work guys. You did an amazing job so far. I was deeply impressed when I first had a look on NB on how much already has been implemented.
Old 9th May 2009, 12:26 PM   #45
FixXxeR

You announced this on my birthday... !
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
Old 9th May 2009, 02:25 PM   #46
Chainsaws

Don't say we never get you anything!
Old 10th May 2009, 02:18 PM   #47
]>CoD<[Chief

Chronicles of Darkness ~ Co-op gametype.
Another Beginning with a Final End.

Intro Movie:
"You dare come now? To crow over me at my final hour?".
"Hush my sweet. You know I would not do such a thing, not to you".
"Go! Return past the hour. Let my final sleep be one of peace".
"Very well. I shall go".

<Clumping of boots on a wooden door. The opening and closing of the door>

"Always you were too early. Now what peace shall I have".
"Shh, rest, save your strength".
"My.... my children, what will become of them".
"I shall take them with me".
"TO BE THIEVES?!?!? WITH SUCH A LIFE UPON THEM YOU WOULD NOT DARE !".
"Look close woman, do you see that their destinies are already writ, can you fail to see the lifelines on each ones forehead. It is not for you to choose their path".
"I.....I can't see.... Darkness.....I......see....".
"Farewell, may you rest in peace. And this i swear to you. I shall care for them, and if in this I fail, haunt me, make sure the peace that has come to you so easily for eternity will not be mine".
<A baby starts crying>
"Shh,Shhh hush little one. It is time we left this place".
<Footsteps, a door opening, the rush of a winter wind, the door closes - scene fades>.

Synopsis:

You are one of the bretheren. Adopted by the Thieves Council when you were no more a mere baby.
You are 19 now, you are a true brotherhood.
Things are dark now, the Thieves Council is in a state of collapse. The Great Thief lies dying, he calls for you, warns you that you must escape.
Your tutor Fendrel is given the task of making sure you get out, a snake in the grass called Bane will soon take over, turn the council into a guild of murderers, a new order of Thieves.
Things go wrong, you escape but Fendrel is captured, you must track him down, rescue him, you hear things, Bane took poison from the alchemists, the great thiefs death was no accident.
The alchemists are raising the dead, an unholy army of old alchemists, now turned to zombies through their magic. They plan to overthrow the city, and only four can stop them - The Four.

Reality:

Of course none of the plot actually got into the game yet, just the factions etc, their weapons and some names.
Nor will it, a gametype based off of NightBlade, though in all honesty we stopped work on this gametype two weeks ago to pursue a more interesting modification idea.

Anyway, for the next week I'm hosting our second to final test release of the gametype for people to see what our team were up to.

I say second to final because an hour ago I deleted the wrong folder and wiped out the latest one

Now in case you're wondering, why didn't our team join the NB team and help get it released, in actual fact several of our members (not me however) did join NB at one time or another, and there were some of the developers already in NB who were aware of the gametypes exsistance.

Anyway, on to what IS (well sort of) in this gametype:

Factions:

Alchemists, a religious faction who believe that the mysteries of life and the universe can be found in a structure known as the 'Double Helix' as taught by the great Helycleese. They use spells and create zombies, they can control these as servants, though some are their former priests, these priests are an army known as the Unholy Awakened. Sometimes zombie spells dont work properly and this creates wild zombies, then the alchemists have to hunt them down so no one finds out what theyre up to (trying to take over the city).

Cemagi, a group of mechanics who use magic and machinery to create security devices. Their small mechanical beasts are automatons using magic and steam to help them to be solitary units.
The magic breaks on larger machinery, thus larger mechanical beasts are steam powered vehicles requiring a driver to control them and operate any mounted weapons onboard. (mechs not in release)

Nati, a pagan like group, their language is wild and only they can understand it. Sappers are nati who have learnt the english language, and prowl the City streets listening to information and getting informants so they can slowly take over. They use blowpipes to knock out anyone who attacks them, and then run off.

City Watch, the good old rank and file. Keeping the streets clean, except the blood of their fallen enemies (naturally).

Shop Keepers - frob the bar man and check your invenory!

Weapons & items:

Players have all sorts of fun weapons:

Swords that can lop off heads.
Gas arrows that KO.
Oil Arrows that cause a bit of a fall.
Fire arrows that go bang.
Holy Water Arrows (for use on the zombies).

Gas Mines
Flash Mines (that dont work )
Other stuff i cant remember.

But beware, the AI also have:

Cemagi Discus, a flaming cog that can rip you to shreds (or cut your head off)
Blow Pipe, KOs you with a dart.
Zombification Spell (this is in your load out too!)
Rivot Bow (Shoots very sharp rivots into you).

Also different HUD icons to make it look more Thiefish.

Players can also push over AI, though this release has a bug where you can keep pushing the AI once theyve fallen over.

Don't forget ! Oil/Pushing and AI on top balconies = fun !

What didnt make it (probably):

Victory/Failure Music - it might be this version with it fixed or it might not be.

The Map - might be the version that's crash prone (hey, it WAS an alpha after all). Its buggy, only way upstairs is to rope arrow your way up the outside balconies.

Voice Pack - actually I know this isnt in, but the version I accidentally deleted had custom voices in.

Custom Models - the AI are standard NB Guards.

Anyway the download is here:

[DOWNLOAD NOW REMOVED]

Just extract the NbGame folder within, ontop of the NightBlade NbGame folder (latest NB alpha required).

then just load NightBlade as normal, you'll see a new Gametype called:

Chronicles of Darkness.

Credits/Thanks:

Immortius, coding NB and being plagued through PM.

Yandros (from TTLG) for allowing us to use his maps - we modified the old thief1/2>tut convertor to work on ut3 to allow us to use his maps.

Dark_Arrow for also allowing us to use his maps - shame they arent in the release yet - ah well.

Anyone else on NightBlade.

The CoD Team (incl. kewlazme).

Final Note: Only leaving the d/l link up for this coming week, so if you want it - grab it while you can.

Oh and you'll want to summon alot of the enemy AI so:

summon nbcodai.nbcod<name>

You can find the names in the unreal editor, but off the top of my head try these:

nbcodai.nbcodnatisapper
.nbcodguarddumbmale
.nbcodalchemistbrother
nbcodcemagiautomoton

Dont have a pc capable of ut3 atm, or i'd find the proper ones for u to use.

Last edited by ]>CoD<[Chief; 17th May 2009 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10th May 2009, 02:48 PM   #48
Trapmaster

And I was already wondering why you havent been in the NB team...

I like the sound of the idea, it's nice to see that there were already modifications for NB in this early stage .

And a big thank you for sharing, Chief! Gonna check it out asap.
Old 11th May 2009, 01:15 PM   #49
Subjective Effect

Close one door, open another....

http://forums.blackcatgames.com/show...894#post232894
Old 11th May 2009, 01:23 PM   #50
]>CoD<[Chief

Except most of the NB team I should imagine will have been made up of people using their limited spare time to work on the mod, in between doing their own jobs etc.
Old 11th May 2009, 03:21 PM   #51
Carth

Sorry to hear that.

Originally Posted by FixXxeR: ( link to post ) 
You announced this on my birthday... !
Oh dear.
Old 12th May 2009, 02:18 AM   #52
beast

Good night until tomorrow...
Old 12th May 2009, 02:22 AM   #53
TafferBoy

dare i say that pulling the plug was the right decision... ambitious project, built from an unpopular engine and lacking in manpower.

imo its a shame that there is such a market for a great multiplayer stealth mod, yet no game has yet been able to trump TUT. Hopefully someone better resourced will snap to their senses and fill the void, as I'm sure a well-thought out game would be a smash hit.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:30 PM   #54
Chainsaws

At the time the project started the Unreal engine was sliced awesome but boring, repetitive Unreal games and backward steps with the engine combined with the release of a drastically changed engine every six months (or so it felt) left so many players fed up with the franchise and dealt a serious blow to the modding community. Throw Valve and the Source engine into the mix and the way it has been going from strength to strength YET REMAINS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE among many other perks dealt several massive blows to the project, both directly and indirectly, over the last few years. For me, Unreal (engine) is dead and I can't ever see myself buying another game in the series.
Old 13th May 2009, 12:46 PM   #55
Baz

Preach on brother Chains.
Old 13th May 2009, 04:33 PM   #56
Schleicher

Problem is the legacy. If they just had called it "Shootery Multiplayer Shooter" with no connection to the Unreal stuff it prolly would have been received better. Almost like Thief 3 / Deus Ex IW (and Unreal 2, gasp). The games themselves arent horrible per se its just you look at all the promises of oldskoolness and "staying true to the spirit of blabla" and "will appeal both to new players and long standing fans of the series" then you look at the towering giants the originals where/are and think "well this doesnt deliver at all".

Will be the same with Thiaf and DX4 i think. They just dont make em like they used to.
Old 13th May 2009, 05:22 PM   #57
]>CoD<[Chief

Quote:
Will be the same with Thiaf and DX4 i think.
They're still working on dx3 and you're shooting dx4 down already !
Old 13th May 2009, 06:35 PM   #58
Schleicher

Of course you need to apply the eidossian formula

Thi4f = Thief
DX4 = DXe = DX3
Old 13th May 2009, 07:19 PM   #59
Carth

Originally Posted by Schleicher: ( link to post ) 
Problem is the legacy. If they just had called it "Shootery Multiplayer Shooter" with no connection to the Unreal stuff it prolly would have been received better. Almost like Thief 3 / Deus Ex IW (and Unreal 2, gasp). The games themselves arent horrible per se its just you look at all the promises of oldskoolness and "staying true to the spirit of blabla" and "will appeal both to new players and long standing fans of the series" then you look at the towering giants the originals where/are and think "well this doesnt deliver at all".
But it is possible. Half-Life 2. Some will say it's nowhere near as good, blah blah blah, but I think it was a worthy sequel and an excellent game.

Most of the time sequels are quite a bit worse than the original though, which given the high expectations, makes them seem "much" worse.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:00 PM   #60
-KewlAzMe-

It's a shame that Unreal Engine 1 was revolutionary, but they haven't been able to keep the momentum... even tho it makes great strides... it just ends up at the bottom