Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Mapping

Old 6th Jun 2011, 03:29 PM   #1
Gaelwyhn

Exclamation Problems working textures

Hey. I'm following a tutorial for UED, not sure which one. But it's telling me to start by building a single room, and I can't even get the texture to go on the wall.

I can find them by clicking the button on the navigation, but I can't find the "Texture Browser" under the View button up top, does this mean something?

And when I find the texture they tell me to use, it won't even high-light when I click it. None of the textures high-light or even can be clicked. I don't know what's going on.

Please help someone.

Last edited by Gaelwyhn; 6th Jun 2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Minor correction...
Gaelwyhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2011, 04:20 PM   #2
FatRatHead

Screenshot of Texture browser
FatRatHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th Jun 2011, 09:00 PM   #3
Gaelwyhn

Thanks. Now how to do move a single room or square? I understand the texture stuff now. and I want to build multiple rooms, but a new cube thing gets in the way of the previous one and I can't figure out how to move them. I'm trying the BBD UT tutorial on the site.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Schleicher

It has been mega-ages since i touched ued2 and i dont know anything anymore but iirc once you subtract/intersect a brush into the world it cant be moved anymore? Has to be deleted and a new one placed.

Iirc its pretty rigid that way regarding world brush manipulation in general and even with the builder brush (in regards to vertex editing or changing it manually). Ya better know damn sure where you want something and if you want to clip/edit/whatever it because once its there it cant be changed/shoved around without possible horrible dangers.

Iirc
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Jun 2011, 01:52 PM   #5
FatRatHead

That's how I've known it too, Edo, however I also noticed that some people keep copy pasting parts of maps so that is a possible workaround to not being able to move them.
Bear in mind that some errors, holes and other horrors are guaranteed to occur.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 03:45 PM   #6
immortius

You can move stuff but the display doesn't update until you rebuild geometry, I believe.
Old 7th Jun 2011, 04:48 PM   #7
FatRatHead

That could be it. Anyone willing to try it?
Old 7th Jun 2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Keggie

Originally Posted by Gaelwyhn: ( link to post ) 
Thanks. Now how to do move a single room or square? I understand the texture stuff now. and I want to build multiple rooms, but a new cube thing gets in the way of the previous one and I can't figure out how to move them. I'm trying the BBD UT tutorial on the site.
best way, go into one of the 2d views, one of the T S or F buttons (top side front) left click on the brush to highlight it, then press and hold control, press and hold left click mouse, then drag in direction you want to go.

i've never had a problem moving stuff after iv placed it and its never rly made problems for me.. just stick to the grid and you should be fine when first starting, best set grid to 64/128 for rooms, and try not to go lower then 32 for detail, but of course if its needed, its needed. if you do move a subtract cube (yellow) or added cube (blue) then you need to do a rebuild for it to show because you've moved the geomotry. the red brush is called the builder brush and you move it same as any other brush Gaelwyhn.
Videos - YouTube
Keggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 11:50 AM   #9
Schleicher

32 is really fat tho, stair height (64 is already half player height) - wouldnt call that detail. 16 for thin architecture and 8 for furniture and stuff. Never use 1 size grid ever
Schleicher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th Jun 2011, 03:43 PM   #10
immortius

Can be worth experimenting with making some of the decorative brushes semisolid as they don't cause BSP holes (but can have other issues).
Old 9th Jun 2011, 11:03 AM   #11
Gaelwyhn

Thanks for the help guys. I'll repost here if I need any more help. This is an open thread for any who have problems though. So enjoy giving and receiving information that helps you be a more productive mapper.
Old 12th Jun 2011, 06:46 PM   #12
Gaelwyhn

Unhappy ThUEd Texture Problems

I made the INI=ThAux.ini shortcut thing, and I can't get the textures to work. I specifically opened the Thievery textures in the Thievery folder, and they won't high-light when I click them. I can't even try to get UT textures to work. When I do something with my ThEd that can't be done with normal UEd, it won't let me re-open the map on the normal UEd. What's wrong and what should I do? I can't make doors, I think, until I fix this problem.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 05:08 AM   #13
Przemek557

The moment you add sth typical for Thievery(or even save your map in Thievery UnrealEd idk) you cannot open it again in standard Unreal Ed. Me, I always used just the ThEd.
The problems with textures:
Open your ThAux.ini file
And in [Engine.Engine] section, change your window render device to software
WindowedRenderDevice=SoftDrv.SoftwareRenderDevice
That should help.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 06:27 PM   #14
Gaelwyhn

Thanks. It helped me out.
Old 13th Jun 2011, 09:14 PM   #15
Gaelwyhn

I'm following a tutorial that says to select a texture for a door, add it then intersect and drag the brush. When I do that, the texture just stays in one spot. What's wrong?
Old 14th Jun 2011, 01:44 AM   #16
FatRatHead

It's not supposed to move, maybe you're dragging the wrong brush. Drag the builder brush (purple/red or wahtever) and use it to place the mover using AddSpecial. The final door won't display any textures in editor by default. Just check some of the finished maps.
Old 14th Jun 2011, 03:12 AM   #17
Przemek557

Here is something about intersecting, you may find it useful

http://unreal.gamedesign.net/tutorials/1/wolftut1.html
Old 14th Jun 2011, 08:03 AM   #18
Keggie

fats right.. kinda. that wont move as that is allready geomotry. the purple brush is your mover, put it where you want your door. if you right click it your purple brush(mover/door etc).. select "Movers" then "Show Polys" it will show you the movers textures and you can change the postion of them about as you will.

if the textures didnt copy across properly after you have clicked show polys you can change them same as a normal wall, but if you move the mover it will look like the brush hasnt moved untill you rebuild the map again.

Originally Posted by Gaelwyhn: ( link to post ) 
I'm following a tutorial that says to select a texture for a door, add it then intersect and drag the brush. When I do that, the texture just stays in one spot. What's wrong?
after you click intersect, dont forget to right click the red brush and click "polys to brush" or somthing similar, then click the add mover button when its in place. (i say add mover, if your making doors you will want the thdoor mover so players can open it)
Videos - YouTube
Old 19th Jun 2011, 12:30 PM   #19
Gaelwyhn

I'm worried that if I put it in the doorway then add it, it'll become a solid piece of the architecture and won't move.
Old 19th Jun 2011, 01:39 PM   #20
Keggie

well.. yes that would happen, but you dont click "add".. you click "add mover" or "add thdoor"

have a read of this tutorial
http://unreal.gamedesign.net/tutorials/5/wolftut5.html

edit -

for tut doors you use addthdoor, so players have to click on them to move them, but how there built is the same way

edit 2 -
if you do make a mistake, go into 2d view, click the wrong brush, and delete, rebuild map, and problem has gone
Videos - YouTube
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 09:18 AM   #21
Gaelwyhn

Thanks for the information. I was trying to build a map from the inside out, but now I started with the skybox. Is there a way I can do it from the inside out?
Old 23rd Jun 2011, 12:35 PM   #22
]>CoD<[Chief

I take it you have seen the offline mapping docs that come with Thievery?

Just in case you haven't, the online version is here:

http://www.thieveryut.com/Mapping/index.htm
]>CoD<[Chief is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
building, problem, texture