Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Thievery Forums > Thievery Discussion > Thievery Guilds

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2005, 07:57 AM   #121
FixXxeR

Originally Posted by WildBill:
With that kind of attitude among half the teams in the tournament, there's really not much point in playing.
c'mon, are you saying that when you play in a tourney on other games, there are no ailasers getting into foreign guilds and playing? It happens all the time!

I dont understand why the teams in TW3 had to be so 'fixed' together.

Whats that saying again?.. all warfare is based on deception?
- #2 of 3 LANers of the Apocalypse!
Old 10th May 2005, 08:18 AM   #122
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by FixXxeR:
c'mon, are you saying that when you play in a tourney on other games, there are no ailasers getting into foreign guilds and playing? It happens all the time!
Does it? I only know of it happening on two occasions: TuF's inception, and KAM/Tundra/Kriminal/Tempermental. In KAM's case, he was just trying to play, not to infiltrate a team to gain information about their tactics to feed back to another team.

Whats that saying again?.. all warfare is based on deception?
And it's a fair saying. However, this wasn't warfare, it was a competition in a GAME. War is about survival, so yeah, anything goes. In a game, though, everyone expects a fair shake. They weren't given that.

Besides, a quote from Phae earlier in this thread makes it very clear that he, at least, was actively in favor of actually ruining the tournament.

Originally Posted by PhaeThorn in the Forsaken and Mutants private plotting thread:
Withdraw on the day the new challenges are being made. There won't be time to get all the maps to the other teams and basicly it messes the whole time schedule up because the remaining teams cannot attack eachother, for they are not connected. GG tournament.
In fact, WB posted that with the comment of his that you quoted. You quoted ONLY his comment, placing it completely out of context.
Old 10th May 2005, 08:48 AM   #123
FixXxeR

1. I was not just refering to TUT. Try playing Freelancer online and you'll see that the guilds are more inbred than Dawen.

2. Everyone had a fair shake of making more than one team, I thought.. just no one else thought of it.

3. Phae doesnt speak for TuF, maybe Forsaken and the Mutants.

4. Yes it was out of context, I just wanted to sound smart
Old 10th May 2005, 09:21 AM   #124
Citizen Erased

2. Everyone had a fair shake of making more than one team, I thought.. just no one else thought of it.
What a stuck up thing to say?! How do you know that no one else thought of it? Maybe it is just that no one else would dream of doing it as they actually want to play the game instead of trying to screw everyone over?
Old 10th May 2005, 09:30 AM   #125
LaughingRat

1. I was not just refering to TUT. Try playing Freelancer online and you'll see that the guilds are more inbred than Dawen.
Fair enough, though it's a fairly odd thing. Nearly all formally organized online competitions require that players only play for one team. I'm aware of several cases of entire teams being banned from competition because they put a player who wasn't a member of their team into a competition.

I find it helps to think of online competition as the 21st century of locally organized sports leagues. They're increasingly occupying the same place in the culture as sports leagues did 10, 20, 30 years ago. Those sorts of organizations also only allowed a play to play for one team at a time.

Collusion and alliances were strictly allowed. However, Forsaken and Mutants took it a bit further. The intent wasn't just to team up to incapacitate the most dangerous adversary, it seemed to be all about crushing them, almost as though it were some sort of revenge issue, and that's just a case of poor sportsmanship. Not bannable, certainly, but not in the interest of good, friendly competition.

In addition, there was talk about one team throwing matches to aid the other. Using the sports analogy again, that kind of thing is specifically prohibited. Again, there are cases of people being permanently banned from playing a sport because of such action.

3. Phae doesnt speak for TuF, maybe Forsaken and the Mutants.
No, he doesn't. But his posts just further the impression of the whole lack of fair play, good sportsmanship, and friendly play that was supposed to prevail.

4. Yes it was out of context, I just wanted to sound smart
Don't do. Be.
Old 10th May 2005, 09:42 AM   #126
FixXxeR

Originally Posted by LR:
Don't do. Be.
Wise words Yoda.

Well, I cant think of anything else to say apart from yes, CE, I am stuck up, ta
Old 10th May 2005, 10:35 AM   #127
TafferBoy

I think you'll find the thread is full of arguments and counter arguments on the issue Fixxer. And I prefer to spare myself the trouble of repeating them.
I would suggest taking a big shovel and burying the issue however. Trying to make a few points isn't likely to change much, everyone seems pretty set in their views on the matter.
Old 10th May 2005, 12:13 PM   #128
LaughingRat

Wise words Yoda.
You know, it really frosts me that Lucas took perfectly good and valuable Zen teaching, and turned it into a steaming pile of trite twaddle to be spouted off by a muppet.
Old 10th May 2005, 01:19 PM   #129
WildBill

Originally Posted by LaughingRat:
You know, it really frosts me that Lucas took perfectly good and valuable Zen teaching, and turned it into a steaming pile of trite twaddle to be spouted off by a muppet.
And managed to misquote it in the process. Tragic.
Old 10th May 2005, 01:32 PM   #130
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by WildBill:
And managed to misquote it in the process. Tragic.
"Oh my god! He killed Zenny!"
"You bastard!"
Old 10th May 2005, 03:05 PM   #131
daniel

rofl!!! i have to tell that to my friends after we all go see the this third one.
Old 10th May 2005, 09:16 PM   #132
Radamanthus

*cries for Zen*
"Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."
Old 10th May 2005, 09:56 PM   #133
Shug

Come on guys, let's get back to the real issue here:

Originally Posted by Phantaloz:
Of course there's the cheating...And I really don't know any other cheating or a form of cheating than the laming in Aquatone (With guards raiding the vents, killing you, then someone like Industrialism stays alive, kills 8 guards then completes the objectives and gets through the map...Time taken: 22 minutes, Spectators at end: 13 AND THEY EVERYONE WERE KILLED IN THE BEGINNING )
Such as wtf this guy is on about. The fact that it's impossible to have more than 12 people on any server I've ever seen is just the beginning
Old 11th May 2005, 03:29 AM   #134
Rodent

Location: Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
Having recently perused the topical threads, there's a few things I feel the need to discuss.

Someone asked, "What's the big deal?" Indeed, I'll wager a few of you would like to know exactly is going on behind closed doors.

If this is what goes on in public, what darker secrets have these people been hiding?

I've tried my best to forgive and forget, but it now seems beyond me.

It saddens me to have to reveal something so shocking, so confronting, that it threatens to tear this very community into pieces.

Recent events have brought to light the truth that incriminates those who you thought couldn't have sunk any lower.

This truly is the ultimate irony. Again, as much as it may sadden you, it hurts me a hell of a lot more.

Laughing Rat isn't really my biological father .................................................. .................
.................................................. ....................
..................................(lawl)
Old 11th May 2005, 05:01 AM   #135
Citizen Erased

Good Heavens!
Old 11th May 2005, 05:55 AM   #136
FixXxeR

So wait... Yoda is your dad?
Old 11th May 2005, 07:26 AM   #137
Phantaloz

Originally Posted by Shug:
Such as wtf this guy is on about. The fact that it's impossible to have more than 12 people on any server I've ever seen is just the beginning
As to refer to the WTF I would say:

Yes, I overreacted on the 13 ppl stuff, because I meant that the AI guards would be "spectating" too

And in another adition to the WTF:

Yes, I'm an idiot and a n00b and I don't know ANY map exploits or cheats that exist, in this way I can't find out what was the "cheating" in any other way than something about the forfeiting and stuff (yes, I read 2 of the Turf Wars 3 threads again and again)

But you don't have to bother telling me anything, it'll just ruin the fun for me to say "wth!" in the game when someone uses an exploit...

And anyway, my post was just an opinion

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy
Old 11th May 2005, 08:19 AM   #138
Swiss Mercenary

Uhh...

Right. Opinions are... Umm... Good.

Carry on.

Edit: LR managed to post in the time between my post was submitted, and when I loaded the front page...

*Creepy*
Old 11th May 2005, 08:19 AM   #139
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Rodent:
Recent events have brought to light the truth that incriminates those who you thought couldn't have sunk any lower.

This truly is the ultimate irony. Again, as much as it may sadden you, it hurts me a hell of a lot more.

Laughing Rat isn't really my biological father .................................................. .................
.................................................. ....................
..................................(lawl)
Yeah, you're right, Rodent. We thought you couldn't sink any lower, and now you reveal that your claim that I'm your father was nothing more than a petty grab at the server I used to run. Tsk, tsk. Shame on you. Makes me proud not to be your father.

BTW, you should be changing your sig now.
Old 11th May 2005, 08:30 AM   #140
Rodent

Location: Fighting to survive in a war with the darkest power...
Surely we can work this out LR... adoption is always on the table
Old 11th May 2005, 09:31 AM   #141
immortius

The real question here is what sort of rodent is Rodent supposed to be, anyway? A generic rat? A mouse? Perhaps a hamster or guinea pig? Or maybe something more exotic like a marsupial? Or perhaps some sort of horrible chimera of rodents?
Old 11th May 2005, 11:25 AM   #142
LaughingRat

Originally Posted by Rodent:
Surely we can work this out LR... adoption is always on the table
And the claim to ownership of allegiance, based on your (false) heritage - that should go, too.

Originally Posted by immortius:
The real question here is what sort of rodent is Rodent supposed to be, anyway? A generic rat? A mouse? Perhaps a hamster or guinea pig? Or maybe something more exotic like a marsupial? Or perhaps some sort of horrible chimera of rodents?
Good bet he's a golden bellied water rat. They're one of the few rats specifically native to Australia.
Old 11th May 2005, 04:57 PM   #143
Aggamemnon

I think we should call him by his true name: HYDROMYS CHRYSOGASTER for governor!!

Gaylord focker says we can but could we really milk him though?
Old 7th Jun 2005, 12:44 PM   #144
godofdarklaughter

Location: In the kitchen in TH-Gerome, trying to convince Arnold not to leap into the fireplace.
admit it, people. The real reason you don't play this game anymore isn't the "community," but because not enough people play it. That will change with 1.5 and most of you will be back. I guarantee it.
Old 7th Jun 2005, 01:09 PM   #145
The MaW

How sure are you? As sure as a man who spends his life placing sure bets on sure wins and everyday he's sure he has to be doing somehting else, but sure enough he can't remember?
Old 7th Jun 2005, 07:25 PM   #146
Shug

I don't doubt most of the Mockers will start playing again more frequently in 1.5
Old 7th Jun 2005, 10:07 PM   #147
Sneaky

Originally Posted by godofdarklaughter:
The real reason you don't play this game anymore isn't the "community," but because not enough people play it. That will change with 1.5 and most of you will be back. I guarantee it.
I don't think lack of players is stopping anyone from playing. Every day there is at least one full server at various times. People still play this game. However, I do think 1.5 will increase interest in the game.
Old 7th Jun 2005, 10:42 PM   #148
TafferBoy

Originally Posted by Shug:
I don't doubt most of the Mockers will start playing again more frequently in 1.5
Yep, I'll be back bebe
Old 8th Jun 2005, 04:16 AM   #149
FixXxeR

So is this going to help the release of 1.5 or not?

Or was that not the plan?...
Old 8th Jun 2005, 09:49 AM   #150
Shug

Apparently Gladius has been asked to return to the game in order to make it more appealing for the female demographic
Closed Thread