Black Cat Forums   Alien Swarm - Steampowered Forums
Alien Swarm 2K4 - ThieveryUT
Black Cat Games - TTLG Forums

Go Back   Black Cat Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Forums > Alien Swarm 2K4 Mapping

Notices

Old 13th Jun 2007, 04:55 PM   #1
L'architecte

Chainsaw melee weapon beta1

Originally Posted by NoData: ( link to post ) 
I pray every morning i wake up before i look at the forum. The only thing i hope to see is a thread called "Chainsaw melee weapon beta1"

Hehe there it is
The beta1 is nearly done, I just have a BIG problem : I cant compile the classes. I am using wot greal.

I have all the ASw and u4e3 classes (my ChainSaw is an adaptation of u4e3 HellSaw), but when compiling, I got an error message saying something like wot greal cannot find some ASw classes I am using. Of course it cant find em, because they are not in my ut2004 directory but in a ut2004\AlienSwarm direc.)

How can I compile all that stuff ?

edit : ok that was easy, I had to set up both ASw.ini and ASwUser.ini respectively as ut2004.ini and user.ini
I still have some scripts error to correct... I'll keep you informed of the release. I will include this new weapon in my campaign, but as I still cant compile the files certainly due to some stupid errors, I cant test it for the moment... When it is ready, I may need some help with beta tests

=> NoData : may your prays become true...

edit2 : FINALLY COMPILED ! (there was some stupid errors^^) I will test it tomorrow, cause here in france it is 00:15 AM and I am a bit tired... I hope it will work correctly
Good night

Last edited by L'architecte; 13th Jun 2007 at 05:18 PM.
L'architecte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2007, 06:08 PM   #2
Moses2k

Vroom vroom.
Moses2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Jun 2007, 07:40 PM   #3
NoData

O-M-G!

That dude, is just toooo cool What a good melee weapon! Dunno if the item is too big to be set as an extra, but sounds good to me

The far i go with the u4e is to spawn the chainsaw on my server, but as any other UT weapon you spawn, the marine move realllly slowly. But it work. Another problem is that the chainsaw goes crazy when the blade hit the floor, and it append each time you put the pointer close to your marine. It need to be horizontaly fix (like the flamer) or you need to remove the effect when the blade hit the floor. But for now, if it work as an item in ASw, and it dont slow you down, its a great begin!

Im off all day long tomorow, so if you want to do a first online test, ill be glad to host it.

Thanks once again, this is amazing!
Old 14th Jun 2007, 01:36 AM   #4
Felix

Originally Posted by NoData: ( link to post ) 
the chainsaw goes crazy when the blade hit the floor
What else would you expect?
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th Jun 2007, 02:00 AM   #5
L'architecte

Hi all
First test : mmmh not bad at all, really funny

There are several bugs to correct, here is a list :
- wrong weapon icon (I have set the replaceme! icon for the moment, but the rifle icon is shown instead of it (I will add a custom one later)
- the attached emitters dont seem to work, no sparks, no smoke...
- at the first pick up, the weapon seems not to work, you have to switch with another one and switch it back to be able to make it work.
- does not appear in the equipment list (this is normal, it was set up this way for the moment, cause I simply dont know how to do it hahaha)

How to use it ?
- fire : meat carving :wicked sick:
-alt fire : no alt fire implemented for the moment, what can you suggest ? I personnaly think that an activable flash light could be interesting (I have removed the hook fire of course)
-melee damage : maybe a bit to low ?

What s going on while moving and using this weapon ?
-nothing , your movement is decreased exactly as if you were using the rifle, also not a lot. Maybe it should be better the movement not to be modified ? It is a melee weapon after all, it shouldnt alter you movement...
As it is no more a utweapon but an aoweapon, there are no problem with movement and hit effect on the floor

Oh you were talking about the pickup size, I have set it up to 0.25 and ingame it looks good.

Just another thing : I am currently asking for permission to u4e team to use this weapon modification in my campaign, for the moment I have a positive reply concerning use of the model, and am still waiting for the reply of their coder.
Old 14th Jun 2007, 02:11 AM   #6
L'architecte

ASw : Just another meat hunt...

screenshot#1 : chainsaw pickup

screenshot#2 : using chainsaw against teammates...

After several other tests, I finally think the pick up is too small. I will set it to 0.3333 instead of 0.25. Should be better...

edit : tested with bots using that melee weapon : hahaa they can use it, but the firing sound isnt detroyed after killing the bugs, it does no damages as the bot isnt firing anymore but the noise still remains.

edit2 : seems not to affect decorations (ie alien eggs, steel boxes, barrels etc) as it is a melee attack. I dont know how to modify this

edit3 : damages wont be modified, even in insane mod you will survive (you are supposed not to be overrun^^), increased the pickup and weapon size to 0.4, am currently working on a custom weapon icon, and I will try to add an activable flash light as alt fire...
I dont know how to make it available to the weapon list. Can someone explain me ?

edit4 : movement no longer lowered, custom hud icon texture, preparing a beta test package...

Last edited by L'architecte; 14th Jun 2007 at 05:41 AM.
L'architecte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2007, 04:13 AM   #7
Felix

Originally Posted by L'architecte: ( link to post ) 
I dont know how to make it available to the weapon list. Can someone explain me ?
If its realy useable and Donator likes it too you could ask him to include it into the RIFT-code mutator. No?

Otherwise you would need to include it either in a map or write a mutator.
Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Jun 2007, 07:18 AM   #8
NoData

For now, the chainsaw can be spawned, you cant select it from the startup menu, but you can place it in a map as a pickup. Theres some sounds problem, and the chaisaw dont work on first pickup. But it work, and its pretty funny! Keep on good work!
Old 18th Jun 2007, 01:13 PM   #9
L'architecte

Originally Posted by Felix: ( link to post ) 
If its realy useable and Donator likes it too you could ask him to include it into the RIFT-code mutator. No?

Otherwise you would need to include it either in a map or write a mutator.

It finally works, the weapon is available in the weapon list, but at the wrong place, I dont know why for the moment...

Concerning the sound problems, I am exploring the code to understand why the sound on pick up is too loud...

For the moment I dont want that weapon to be uploaded to any server, cause I am waiting for the author's permission. He may contact me in a few days.

I'd like to set up this weapon as an extra item, but it still appears on the primery / secondary item list. I am currently working on this problem.

I dont think there will be an alt fire for the chain saw.
Old 14th Aug 2007, 05:31 PM   #10
L'architecte

I give up all my current ASw project. Whoever wishes to continue with the chainsaw mutator should mail me for getting the whole code.

As I got no reply for asking permission to modify the code, I will no longer work on it. Anybody else who doesnt care with author's permission can continue
Old 12th Jun 2008, 03:03 PM   #11
L'architecte

Hello again
just a few words to say I am releasing the whole ChainSaw code.

This weapon is damn so funny, that's why I bakc on it. Maybe some AS dev team vip could ask the author for permission, cause Larch' does not represent anything to him lol (I never got response^^)

Anyway, here are the points that are beeing modified :
=> 3rd person emitter attachment
=> pickup and select sounds
=> any damageable actor can now be damaged (eggs, barrels, doors etc)
=> general optimization of the code

I hope there will be a public release one day

Btw I have started to work on a new melee weapon, I ll soon open a new topic about it...
And maybe one day I ll create a map too ?